New Life
25 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At roughly the same time Nathan was getting acquainted with his party, the officers he had escaped from had returned to their station. They gathered in an office with someone around a desk staring daggers at them. He didn't break eye contact and was silent for at least 5 minutes. The tension was so palpable that even the officers were sweating in fear.

Finally, he decided to speak.

"So, you mean to tell me that not only did you guys let him commit numerous crimes, but you also let him get away...even though there was a lot of you guys and even a police helicopter?" He asked.

There was no response because the cops feared what was to come.

"So, no one's gonna answer, huh."

"B-But sergeant, h--"

"SHUT THE HELL UP, YOU USELESS IDIOT!!!" Shouted the sergeant, not giving the cop a chance to speak. "HOW THE HELL COULD YOU LET NATHAN OF ALL PEOPLE ESCAPE! DO YOU IDIOTS KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS...DO YOU!?"

All the cops were scared as the sergeant was mercilessly chewing them out, banging his hands violently on the desk and insulting them for their failures.

"S-Sergeant...I-If I may..." The pilot of the police helicopter from the car chase began speaking.

"WHAT!?"

"Y-you remember the c-criminals Ada Foster and Olivia Gray had recently escaped...since the news of their escape ha...has been covered up...and Nathan had committed the crimes he did in the court and the car chase...we can use him as a scapegoat for any crimes those girls may commit." His speech was stuttered from his fright, but the sergeant understood him.

The sergeant was staring at him as if processing the pilot's suggestion.

"Hmm...yes, criminals like them are likely to be hiding their whereabouts to avoid being caught...all we just need to do is capture them quickly and pin any crime they may do on Nathan...along with all the others he's done in the past." The sergeant said as he was smiling. "Fine then...I'll give you guys one more chance...don't mess it up, idiots...you may go now."

"T-Thank you, sir!" They responded before leaving the office.

The sergeant leaned back in his chair with a big smile. "Ha...I didn't think of that before. Thank god that it wasn't criminals like Jack the Ripper that escaped. Well, that would be impossible for him, though. But as bad as things turned out, I thank you, Nathan, for committing all those crimes."

"You guys ready to know why you were chosen for my game now?" The developer asked as the scene flipped back to Nathan and his new group.

"Stop beating around the bush and just spit it out already!" Nathan ordered.

"Fine, fine, you don't have to be so impatient..." The developer responded in a low tone. "You guys will have to destroy the security of the country, which includes the military and other law enforcement."

"Oh!?" Jack and Charles, seemingly in sync, exclaimed with big smiles.

"What...why exactly?" Nathan asked.

"That information isn't important right now. Just do as I said, like a good game character. Besides, don't you hate how corrupted this country is, Nathan? Don't you resent them for causing you to have such a hard life?" The developer asked.

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU SAY!?" Nathan snapped, much to the shock of his party. " YOU FORCED ME TO KILL PEOPLE AND NOW YOU'RE TELLING ME TO KILL EVEN MORE!? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!?"

"Heh...what if I am?" The developer asked. "Can you even do anything about it now, murderer?" Upon hearing that, Nathan widened his eyes. "Since I'm the one that saved you from the death sentence, at least try to be helpful, won't you?"

W-Why...why me...always...?

"Can we kill as many people as possible?" Jack asked, ignoring Nathan's outburst.

"Can I fight all the strong guys?" Charles added.

"I don't care what you guys do...all you need to do is destroy the country's security, so you all will just need to use any means necessary. Plus, game characters should have some fun while completing missions anyway." The developer answered.

"Well, if that's the case, then I think we should choose a leader." Ada chimed in. "I think I have what it takes to be the leader."

"Oh yeah, all parties have a leader. Good idea, Ada." The developer said.

"I don't care, as long as I get to kill people, then fair play, love," Jack responded.

"Same for me. I don't care as long as I get to fight strong people so you can be the leader." Charles agreed.

"Y-you can...be the leader, Ada." Olivia stuttered.

"What about you, Nathan?" Ada asked.

"...Do what you want, Ada. I don't care." Nathan coldly said, as he was still stunned by what he had to do.

Ada looked at Nathan strangely for a split second, which he noticed.

"Well, that settles it...I'm the leader, guys! I'll make sure to be an amazing leader!" Ada said, full of energy in her gestures.

"Nathan should be tired from his long drive, so I'll give you guys some rest. I'll return in a few hours to give you your first in-game mission. You can watch the television in the meantime." The developer said before tuning out.

"Wonder what's on the TV," Charles said as he turned it on. It went straight to the news channel.

'BREAKING NEWS!' This sudden alert garnered the attention of the group.

"Good evening, my name is Ashley, and today we have a very wild and calamitic turn of events. Nathan Hayes, who was originally convicted of a triple murder and was sentenced to die earlier today, has turned not only the courtroom but also the state of Washington, into a disaster."

"Hey Nathan, they're talking about you! You're famous!" Charles, congratulating him on his 'achievements.'

"Sigh."

"Numerous casualties and property damage was caused by one man, Nathan...Sergeant John has made a public statement, revealing the details."

The news team switched from Ashley and started playing the public statement by Sergeant John (this was the same man that had cursed out his police team on their failure).

"Good evening. Before I reveal the details, I want everyone to know who caused it." Sergeant John said as a display of Nathan's face appeared on-screen beside him, "His name is Nathan Hayes, twenty-four years old, six feet three inches. He is of white ethnicity. Nathan's hair is black with a mid-length hairstyle. Please, if you see this man, call the nearest police station immediately.

Today, at approximately 3:35 pm, the disaster was started by the killing of Judge Donald Reid and Officer Dan Samuels. They were sniped, and according to investigation, Nathan had planned with the unknown assassin to carry out the sniping."

You damn liar...

Throughout the statement, pictures of the crime scenes in the court and on different roads Nathan sped on were displayed.

"Nathan followed by using a smuggled explosive, which unfortunately took the lives of guarding officers along with numerous innocent court members. He likely proceeded to violently attack Vanessa Carter stole her white 2024 BMW M8 and drove off where he was pursued by cops. In that pursuit, he committed a large amount of road violations and endangered numerous civilians in the car chase. Despite their best efforts, however, Nathan managed to evade capture."

As Nathan was listening, a sudden onset of depression came over him.

"Even though this could have been avoided with better procedures such as making sure he never had explosives or had more cops on the outside of the court...you guys have my word, we will capture this criminal and bring him to justice once and for all."

This breaking news was live, which meant it was broadcast to everyone. Lilith was no exception, as she was watching it on her phone on the same bench she sat with Nathan when he visited her in the morning.

"N...no, t-this isn't true, right Nathan? Please tell me this isn't true, Nathan!" Lilith begged, visibly shocked on her face. "Y-you said that...you'd see me after work...Nathan." Lilith was forcing back tears as she watched.

"You're pretty cool, huh, Nathan!?" Charles excitedly asked.

"Yeah...I mean, I'd have tried to off more buggers, but still, brilliant work!" Jack added.

Ah, I see. I'm sure Lilith is watching this. It would be stupid to hope that she wouldn't believe anything they say when in her eyes, there's actual evidence. It seems this is my new life. Going from a shit life...to a life of murder. It doesn't matter what I do now.

Nathan had a look of defeat.

But as much as I hate this bastard developer. I admit it. Sergeant John, you're one of the people I have to pay back, while I'm at it.

1