Chapter 1
80 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the primordial epoch of existence, two divine entities clashed in the vast expanse of the cosmos. Their titanic blows were more powerful than supernovae, their fury more destructive than black holes. As their fists collided, the very fabric of space-time seemed to tear open, revealing an abyss of raw emptiness. This eternal duel consumed eons, both gods eventually succumbing to exhaustion, their lifeless bodies adrift in the cosmic sea.

As their flesh decayed and disintegrated, the residual mana within them coalesced into a radiant light, birthing a star amidst the darkness. This beacon of life, in turn, gave birth to a system of planets, each one a unique testament to the gods' legacy.

Their divine blood, teeming with latent mana, seeped into one planet in particular. A world that, over time, came to be known as Gaia. This celestial body was imbued with such vitality that life began to flourish, its denizens drawing upon the mana within their bodies, a gift from the gods themselves.

However, not all were so fortunate. Those soul who weren’t born with mana—known as Norms—faced the harsh reality of a world that didn't favor them. The Empire—an autocratic regime whose sole mission was the eradication of these less gifted beings—hunted them mercilessly. Their iron grip cast a pall of fear over the continent, with Norms being preyed upon like sheep amongst wolves.

The land was a kaleidoscope of species: Humans, Elves, Sirens, and Demonic Creatures, all sharing the planet, albeit uneasily. The Empire, under its enigmatic Faceless King, ruled with an iron fist, but their dominance was not uncontested.

On the western fringes of the continent of Auroria, the Demon Lord Sarial, known ominously as "The Thousand Voices," held sway. After the cataclysmic War of the Four Nations, Sarial made a pact with The Empire, turning the tide of the conflict. The Elven King Urial and the Siren Queen Nerissa were forced into hiding, their kingdoms left in ruins.

Under the oppressive rule of The Empire and Sarial, a shadow had fallen over Auroria...

---

"Roman, wake up, honey," a gentle voice coaxed. "You've been sleeping all day."

Roman's eyes fluttered open, confusion and shock etched on his face. A tear traced a path down his cheek as he stammered out, "M...Mom…? I thought…"

"What's wrong, dear?" His mother asked, concern clouding her face. "Did you have a nightmare?"

Their conversation was interrupted by approaching footsteps. Roman's father entered the room, his smile bright and reassuring. "He's fine. I'm sure he's just excited about our fishing trip, aren't you, Roman?"

Roman, wiping away his tears, mustered a smile in return. "Yes, that's it."

Their calm was shattered by a violent bang on the door. "Open up!" A stern voice demanded from outside. "We have a decree from The Empire. Open the door or we will use force!"

Roman's father paled, and his mother's hands trembled. Roman could only watch, paralyzed with fear, as his mother swiftly hid him under the loose floorboards beneath his bed. She kissed his forehead, whispering words of reassurance while her tears fell on his face, "Everything will be alright. Just stay here and don't make a sound. This nightmare will be over soon, I promise."

From his hideaway, Roman could only make out snatches of conversation, the anger in his father's voice, his mother's pleas for mercy. "I'm sorry, Theo," a familiar voice echoed, followed by the thud of bodies hitting the floor and the metallic scent of blood.

---

Roman woke with a start, gasping for breath, his heart pounding as if he had just run a marathon. He was back in the room, the remnants of the nightmare still haunting him. He was alone, the silence only broken by the chirping of the crickets outside his window.

Rage and despair welled up within him. "Why me?!" Roman cried out, slamming his fist against the wall. "Just because I was born without mana… I lost…everything…" 

His gaze fell on a picture frame on the dusty shelf, an image of his Uncle Roy. "Luckily… I still have you, uncle. Even though we aren't related, you took me in and looked out for me. Even me being a Norm, you didn’t see me as a mere slave but a human. I'll be forever grateful."

The room was old and worn, with cracks on the walls and dust coating the furniture. He glanced out of the window, the moonlight casting long shadows across his room. "Mom… Dad… I hope you're in a better place… I will find out what happened to you no matter. 

1