The Legendary Heroes
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

Telmarath City

The capital of the Kingdom of Lancaster.

There was excitement inside the city centre of Telmarath, the Capital of Lancaster Kingdom. The city's citizens, regardless of age, gender, and job, were lined up neatly along the sidewalks of the main street.

They wore shirts for men, pretty dresses for women, combed their hair, wore fragrances, put on clean shoes, and carried a few flowers.

Jommon was dead, the entire demon race had been exterminated, and the peace everyone had been craving was about to be established. That was why the Telmarath citizens gathered to celebrate the victory of the 100-year war against Jommon.

Millions of human soldiers had died in the years of war, thousands of generals had fallen with honour, three kings had changed, and a hero arrived. However, the hero had died without knowing where his body was.

"Be cheerful, Beatrice," Mark greeted.

The man was seen sitting straight on a white and brown horse, riding beside the female archer, his friend.

"I can't smile. We're going to enjoy all of this because Avery saved the world," Beatrice replied, speaking softly.

"Everyone is still heartbroken by Avery Romarich's death, but we should not show them our sorrow," Mark stated, staring ahead in his long coat with his wand tucked behind his back.

Beatrice remained silent. Maybe she could have saved Avery from death if only she had been stronger back then. However, her lack of ability could only burden Avery, leaving the young man to suffer all the pain.

The archer woman turned her head to the side, seeing Mark no longer showing sadness, instead turning to smile at the children from around the outside walls of Telmarath City.

The villagers near the capital gathered outside the gates of Telmarath, ready to express their gratitude while throwing beautiful and blooming flowers along the road the two great war heroes would pass through.

Mark's gesture opened Beatrice's mind. She could not continue to mourn the mistake that cost Avery life.

She should act like Mark, smile gently and greet the citizens of the city who had been waiting for her.

The procession of royal troops leading Mark and Beatrice began to enter the city gates; the crowd grew denser with the thunderous sound of cheers filling the place without exception.

Mark's heart was pounding, smiling at all the people of the city who welcomed their arrival with much joy. Beatrice was no different, even getting a flower crown from one of the girls.

"It's all for Avery, Beatrice," Mark whispered.

"I know. We can't keep making these people sad," Beatrice explained.

Mark was touched, happy at last to see Beatrice willing to falsify her smile to welcome the capital's citizens.

It was difficult to hide their sadness, but they both needed to do it so that all the citizens of Telmarath would no longer fall into grief over Avery Romarich's death.

The royal procession headed towards the hill in the city, the most important place in the country, Skyvale Palace. King and Queen Lancaster awaited the arrival of the two great heroes who had won the great war.

Mark and Beatrice dismounted immediately, striding in their luxurious long fur coats as if sweeping the floor, following one of the palace soldiers.

They cast their eyes to the right and left, seeing not only the city streets crowded with people but also all around outside the palace walls.

"We can't drink in peace if they keep following us," Beatrice replied, joking.

"Haha, we can drink freely in my castle if you want," Mark retorted.

Beatrice, who stepped beside Mark, suddenly stopped her stride. She turned her head to the side with both eyes sharp, watching someone in the crowd.

Mark realized Beatrice was watching someone; an archer's eyesight could be sharper and more accurate than an average person's.

"What is it?" asked Mark.

Beatrice continued to pay attention to the small group of young men who seemed to be staring intently at her. However, the small group moved away from the crowd until it was no longer seen in the archer's eyes.

The woman shook her head with a cleared throat, "It's nothing."

The two heroes again stepped forward, following the palace soldiers, opening several white iron doors three meters high, until Mark and Beatrice stopped right before a palace door of a different colour, gold.

The palace soldier who escorted the two immediately nodded to the guards standing before the golden door. They both understood what they had to do.

One of the soldiers guarding the throne hall door entered, announcing the arrival of Mark and Beatrice. The King of Lancaster Kingdom cleared his throat, ordering them to enter.

The throne hall doors opened wide, revealing the two great heroes who had defeated Jommon, humanity's archenemy hundreds of years ago.

Their arrival pleased many people inside the throne hall. Those who worked in the military applauded the figures of the two heroes but not those who worked in the economy.

Especially those businessmen who provided weapons. If the war ended, their business would come to a standstill. From the beginning, the businessmen had not hoped the war would end soon.

Beatrice noticed some people's anger because the war had ended, but the archer woman didn't care. All she could think about right now was going for a drink, relaxing her mind, and mourning Avery's death all night.

"Your Majesty," Beatrice and Mark greeted together, kneeling directly before the King of the Kingdom of Lancaster, Richard Archibald.

The man with fair skin, dark blue eyes, and blond hair was sitting comfortably on the throne, accompanied by his wife, Livitha Archibald, who looked beautiful at 40.

"Welcome, Hero Beatrice and Hero Mark. Thank you for ending the long war against Jommon," Richard declared.

The man stood up from the throne, steadily descending the steps to arrive directly before Beatrice and Mark. Ministers and representatives of the royal nobility stood to the right and left of the red carpet, standing firmly looking forward.

The procession for the awards and titles was about to begin. One of the servants walked over, carrying a tray with two golden badges shaped like eagles.

Mark and Beatrice realized they were about to be honoured, so they immediately stood before King Richard.

King Richard began to attach the gold badges to Mark's upper right shirt; Mark thanked him while shaking Richard's hand.

Now, it was Richard's turn to attach the gold badge to the shirt worn by Beatrice.

"I'm sorry for his death, and so is everyone in this country," Richard revealed, speaking softly as he tried to attach the golden eagle badge to Beatrice's top right shirt.

"Thank you for your concern, Your Majesty," Beatrice replied.

"You know, I would love it if you would become a member of the Royal Family," Richard replied.

King Richard finished attaching the golden eagle badge to Beatrice's shirt, but the man stood tall before the archer woman.

"Do you still remember my favour?" asked Richard.

Beatrice cleared her throat with her eyes downcast, reluctant to look Richard directly in the eye because she knew he was persuading her to marry his first son, Aslan Archibald.

Richard's hand stretched forward, seemingly adjusting the gold badge attached to Beatrice's shirt. Occasionally, he also tidied up the folded collar of the shirt.

"You're going to be Queen of Lancaster, something many women in this kingdom wish for. Consider that, Lady Beatrice," Richard offered.

"Yes. I will consider it well, Your Majesty," announced Beatrice.

Richard smiled happily at that. The middle-aged man with a golden crown on his head began to walk away from the two of them to return to his throne.

"I, Richard Archibald, King of Lancaster, King of the four Kings and protector of realms, hereby bestow upon you both Beatrice Sieger and Mark Frederick, the Legendary Heroes of Lancaster!" Richard Archibald declared, spreading his arms wide.

"As a reward, I give you land in one of Lancaster's territories, an army of 30,000 soldiers, 10 large golden chests, and a memorial statue to be placed in the centre of Telmarath," Richard added.

Everyone applauded, from the ministers and nobles. With these titles, the two could retire peacefully, start a family and live happily ever after.

After the procession of conferring the title of hero and giving prizes was over, Beatrice and Mark bid farewell to leave the place. Richard agreed to their request as two palace soldiers led them away.

Mark felt happy, continuing to smile with relief in his heart. After all this was over, he planned to return to his castle in the small town far from Telmarath, South Cairn.

"Looks like I'll have to negotiate with the crown prince about the reward," Mark revealed, speaking after he left the throne hall.

Beatrice was speechless. She was delighted to be given such a gift from King Richard, but Beatrice's mind was confused.

Richard's invitation wasn't a bad one. The crown prince was known to be kind and responsible, adding to his handsome face and excellent swordsmanship —though not as good as Avery.

These advantages put Beatrice in a dilemma between staying loyal to her love, Avery Romarich, or starting a new chapter with the Crown Prince of Lancaster, Aslan Archibald.

Mark looked back at Beatrice's thoughtful silence, not knowing what to do, but drinking seemed to be the solution to get Beatrice to speak to him.

"How about a bottle of red wine to celebrate? Are you interested?" Mark asked.

Beatrice chuckled, agreeing to Mark's request as wine had long been her favourite.

"You do know what I'm craving for."

1