Chapter 3
58 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The candles on the birthday cake slowly shortened, but Jiang Mi, completely absorbed in her emotions, didn't notice. She remained immersed in her own feelings.

Gu Yanfeng didn't rush or urge her. His breath was light and slow, his presence so low that it seemed there was only one person in the room.

A slight breeze came in through the loosely closed window, causing the flames to flicker and almost extinguish.

The chill brought Jiang Mi back to her senses. She closed her eyes and silently made a wish: "If wishes could come true, I hope all of this is just a dream. When I open my eyes or wake up from a nap, I'll be back in my original world."

After making her wish, Jiang Mi was about to open her eyes when she suddenly felt the stray strands of hair on her forehead settle.

Someone had quietly moved to block the wind from outside.

That someone could only be Gu Yanfeng.

After a moment of hesitation, Jiang Mi silently added: "If, if this is not a dream, then I hope Gu Yanfeng won't die."

Just a second before the candles burned out, Jiang Mi opened her eyes and blew out the candles.

"Happy birthday," Gu Yanfeng turned on the lights, as if nothing had happened, "Cut me a piece of cake and let me share the birthday luck."

Following his request, Jiang Mi cut a piece of cake but said, "Teacher Gu, do I really look like a lucky person?"

"You've asked the right person," Gu Yanfeng took the cake, speaking seriously, "My main job is to tell fortunes under the bridge. Acting is just a side job."

Jiang Mi's hand trembled, and she couldn't hold back her laughter. The emotions that had built up earlier seemed to have dissipated.

"Well, then, tell my fortune," Jiang Mi cut a piece of cake for herself, ready to listen attentively while eating.

Gu Yanfeng said, "Your forehead is full, a sign of intelligence; red lips and white teeth, the foundation of wealth... intelligent and wealthy, do you think you're lucky?"

Even though she knew he was just speaking randomly to cheer her up, Jiang Mi couldn't help but joke a bit seriously, "But my parents..."

"Your current parents are just foster parents, not biological parents," Gu Yanfeng responded calmly. "Don't be sad; your biological parents love you, and you'll have a chance to meet them."

This time, Gu Yanfeng's comforting words didn't work. His lie was too unconvincing, and it was clear that she wasn't the biological child. He added a touch of elusive hope.

Even if she found the biological parents of the original owner in this world, they wouldn't be her real parents.

If she couldn't go back, she and her parents would never see each other again.

Eighteen years old, Jiang Mi's birthday was the simplest, most special, and saddest birthday she had ever experienced.

But she couldn't linger in this mood. She had to move forward to have hope.

Just like mysteriously transmigrating into a book, maybe one day she would mysteriously return.

Moreover, even if she couldn't go back, even if she encountered more difficulties, at least Gu Yanfeng was by her side.

He had done nothing wrong to her, and she couldn't blame him.

Jiang Mi remembered the original plot of the book. The original owner, unable to resist the foster parents and misunderstanding Gu Yanfeng's unspeakable preferences, insulted Gu Yanfeng after being forced to go home with him, calling him an old pervert and human trafficker... in short, using very harsh words.

Gu Yanfeng was also very angry, slamming the door and leaving home.

He encountered a car accident as soon as he stepped out, although there was no life-threatening danger, a scar was left on his forehead.

Gu Yanfeng was a big star; even with excellent acting skills, he still relied on his looks to make a living.

Having a scar was equivalent to disfigurement, narrowing the path for Gu Yanfeng in the entertainment industry. His mindset slowly crumbled from this moment.

The night of the engagement was the beginning of Gu Yanfeng's dark turn. Since Jiang Mi came through, she had to prevent the tragedy from happening.

"Hope I can seek Teacher Gu's advice." Jiang Mi tried to calm herself down.

"Best wishes to you," Gu Yanfeng said.

Jiang Mi felt warm inside; no matter what, Gu Yanfeng was genuinely good, and her situation wasn't that dire.

After finishing the cake, Gu Yanfeng went to tidy up the kitchen. Jiang Mi slowly moved to the sofa on her own.

"Dr. Lin said, ice compress within 24 hours." In a few minutes, Gu Yanfeng brought an ice pack and a towel, "Don't be afraid of the cold, apply this."

He naturally crouched down, wrapped the ice pack in a towel, and gently applied it to Jiang Mi's ankle. "Does it hurt?"

"Not painful. I-I can do it myself," Jiang Mi felt a bit uneasy with his kindness.

As soon as she finished speaking, the front door was opened from outside, and a bespectacled young man walked in confidently.

Jiang Mi knew this person; he was Gu Yanfeng's agent, named Yuan Ze.

The engagement matter was handled by Yuan Ze negotiating with the original owner's parents.

Before the engagement banquet, Gu Yanfeng had not shown himself.

"Feng Ge (brother) ," Yuan Ze saw Gu Yanfeng crouching down to apply ice to Jiang Mi's foot and was suddenly shocked. He hurriedly ran over, "How can you do such a thing?"

He glared at Jiang Mi fiercely as he spoke.

This person had many means, and he had the original owner's parents firmly under control. The original owner hadn't seen much of the world and was also afraid of him.

But he didn't know that the Jiang Mi in front of him had already changed.

Both Jiang Mi and Gu Yanfeng didn't move or speak. Yuan Ze felt a bit uneasy, paused, and crouched down, saying, "Feng Ge, let me do it."

"No need," Gu Yanfeng said casually as he applied ice to Jiang Mi's foot, then casually asked, "Did you give them the money?"

Yuan Ze was stunned. He didn't expect Gu Yanfeng to ask about this in front of Jiang Mi.

He had clearly emphasized the need for secrecy on this matter.

Yuan Ze, with a forced smile, said, "Given."

"How much?" Gu Yanfeng asked again.

Yuan Ze looked at Jiang Mi, lips moved hesitantly, and reluctantly said, "Ge Feng, let's talk about it elsewhere."

"I'm asking how much." Gu Yanfeng repeated, his voice soft.

However, Yuan Ze visibly shivered. He glared at Jiang Mi again, gritted his teeth, and said, "It's 8.88 million."

"Isn't it five million?" Jiang Mi gave Yuan Ze no face, directly exposing his lie.

She was genuinely surprised; Gu Yanfeng actually spent 8.88 million to buy an unmarried wife?

What was he after?

"You know nothing!" Yuan Ze angrily retorted, "I talked to your parents; you don't know anything. They lied to you."

Given the original owner's parents' character, they might indeed lie to the original owner. Jiang Mi didn't know the truth, so she had to stay silent.

"It's a bit cold." Gu Yanfeng used the back of his hand to check the temperature of Jiang Mi's ankle.

Jiang Mi just remembered that Gu Yanfeng was still applying a foot compress for her and quickly said, "No need to apply."

Gu Yanfeng responded with a "Hmm," put the ice pack and towel aside, wiped his hands with a tissue, and then asked Yuan Ze, "I think I've told you before, no matter who you're looking for, you must have the person's consent. Is this what they call 'consent'?"

Jiang Mi still couldn't understand why Gu Yanfeng would buy an unmarried wife, but with just a few words, she could tell that this agent was not a good person.

"I originally disagreed!" Jiang Mi immediately said, "When I attempted suicide yesterday, he was there too."

Gu Yanfeng narrowed his eyes slightly, and sweat appeared on Yuan Ze's forehead.

"Sit for a while; I'll take care of some private matters first." Gu Yanfeng said gently to Jiang Mi, ignoring Yuan Ze, "Come with me."

He walked towards the study, and Yuan Ze hurriedly followed, casting a fierce glance back at Jiang Mi.

"Close the door." Gu Yanfeng, upon entering the study, lost the gentleness he had when facing Jiang Mi. His handsome face became slightly serious, and a faint cold light flickered in the depths of his profound eyes. "Speak."

"Feng ge." Yuan Ze forced a smile and tried to appear casual, "Don't listen to that girl's nonsense. A girl from that kind of background, she's just after your money, intentionally deceiving you."

"Hmm." Gu Yanfeng casually picked up a snuff bottle on the desk, his fingertips gently caressing the exquisite blue and white pattern on the bottle. "And what about the suicide?"

Yuan Ze's eyes quickly darted around. "It's also for money. Her parents wouldn't give her money, so she pretended to threaten suicide. She didn't actually want to die; it was just a show. She's young but quite ambitious..."

As he spoke, he became more fluent, ending with, "Feng ge, you haven't dealt much with these lower-class commoners. They seem weak and innocent but are actually greedy and shameless. Your identity is special; you don't need to talk much with them. Leave this matter to me; I guarantee it'll be settled quickly. I'll make them roll as far away as possible."

Gu Yanfeng waited until he finished before asking, "Are you sure everything you're telling me now is the truth?"

"It must be the truth! Would I dare to deceive you?" Yuan Ze was on the verge of swearing, "I promise, I promise!"

"Very well." Gu Yanfeng flipped his palm, unexpectedly and without warning, smashing the exquisite snuff bottle into pieces.

Yuan Ze stared wide-eyed, his heart bleeding.

This snuff bottle was worth several hundred thousand, and he had helped recover it.

Rich people were really something else.

"So, between incompetence and deception, take your pick." Gu Yanfeng wiped his palms, seemingly unprovoked, "I assigned you to find a girl for a fake engagement, the poorer, the better. But make sure the girl agrees, and there must be no conflicts later. Considering the current outcome, would it be wrong to say that you failed in your task?"

"I'm sorry, Feng ge." Yuan Ze immediately apologized, "I'll handle it right away, I swear..."

"No need." Gu Yanfeng interrupted him, "From now on, you are no longer my agent. Return the 3.88 million you embezzled by tomorrow morning, and I won't pursue it further."

Yuan Ze's face changed dramatically, "Feng ge, I..."

"No explanations, no playing the victim, and definitely no attempts to blackmail me." Gu Yanfeng's eyebrows raised slightly, a hint of inexplicable malice in his eyes, "Otherwise, your gambling-addicted parents and shopaholic fiancée will be quite easy to control."

Yuan Ze, looking at the man whose familiar gentleness had disappeared from his face, felt a cold sweat breaking out. His mind was in chaos, "You… you knew in advance… you deliberately tested me?"

"It could be called a test. I thought you might embezzle money, but I never expected you would casually find someone to deceive me. On your first day here, I told you to speak directly if there's an issue. I gave you a chance, but you didn't take it." Gu Yanfeng swept the porcelain shards on the table into the trash can, "Oh, and this snuff bottle, 580,000. You'll have to compensate for that as well."

Yuan Ze panicked, "But you broke it yourself; how is it my business?"

"You angered me, and that's why I broke it." Gu Yanfeng placed his hand on the doorknob, smiling slightly, "446 million. Try keeping even a cent of it."

5