11 – Domino Laughs at a Bad Joke
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     Mason woke up early this time, no doubt because of the fact that he didn't get high the previous day like he usually did. He rotated one hundred eighty degrees so as to be on his back and grabbed his phone to check the time. 

...7:30. Damn.

     He put his phone in his pocket and saw Domino on the other side of the room sleeping peacefully on the floor. His eyes lingered on them a tad longer than usual before he realized what he was doing and immediately decided to get up and start the day. This time, it seemed like Domino was likely to stay asleep as he nearly reached on the ground for yesterday's shirt before hesitating and deciding to wear something else. He went over to his closet and decided on a black T-shirt, as opposed to the olive green V-neck he'd been wearing. As he opened the door to the kitchen, he caught himself glancing at Domino, who was rolled up in the closest approximation to the shape of a cinnamon bun that a humanoid body could comfortably make. He closed the door behind him and set out to make his usual breakfast. 

     Mason went back into his room and carefully placed Domino's food next to them. He was temped to reach out and pet them, but he didn't want to risk waking them up from the apparently stellar sleep they were having as they stretched and laid on their side. Mason took a few steps back to accommodate the extra room as he shimmied through the now partially blocked door and approached the couch to eat his food.

***

     A few hours later, Mason had brushed his teeth and taken a shower, if only to fill up the unusual free time he had access to that morning. Domino had woken up and had breakfast with him and now they were sitting on the couch together like usual.

"Hey," Mason began. "When you were Tristan's cat, did you ever play with those stick things?"

Domino tilted their head. "...Stick things?"

"Yeah," Mason replied, "like, with the... thing on the string."

"Oh!" Domino exclaimed. "A little bit, but I always preferred the circular one with the fake mouse inside of it."

Mason nodded. "Ah, nice."

The two heard a knock on the door and Domino got up. "See you in a bit, Mason!"

Mason sighed, took a deep breath and scratched their chin. "You too, Domino."

The two headed in opposite directions as Mason opened the door.

"Hey dude," Tristan began. "You look... Surprisingly well rested."

Mason stepped aside so as to let Tristan in. "Yeah, I guess I kinda just woke up early. Helps that I didn't eat that edible."

Tristan sat down. "Wait, really?"

"Yeah!" Mason replied, beginning to face the kitchen. "Have you eaten anything yet?"

"Well, yeah. Have you?"

Mason turned around and sat down. "A while ago, actually."

Tristan stared at him for a moment. "Well... That's good! You haven't been this productive in your entire life, I don't think. You also seem unusually happy. Something good happen with that roommate of yours?"

Mason's face turned red. "Why the hell are you jumping to that conclusion?"

Tristan raised an eyebrow. "I know you don't like work and that you don't ever go outside, so I kinda just made an assumption from there, to be honest. Your reaction is telling."

Mason crossed his legs. "Well, nothing's happened."

"Uh-huh," Tristan replied. "You don't have to tell me anything about it. I'd rather not know, actually."

"For fuck's sake," Mason responded. "Are you just trying to stall for time?"

"What are you talking about?"

Mason sighed. "You said you'd tell me what's going on with you."

Tristan re-adjusted in his seat. "Well yeah, I just... I don't know how to do that, I guess. I'm actually still surprised you did that with your roommate. Do they sleep in your room or something?"

"I didn't-" Mason rubbed his eyes and took a deep breath. "I just... You've been distant and I should have said something sooner, but I'm starting to actually worry about you now."

"Well don't," Tristan began, "I have everything under control, dude."

Mason's expression hardened a bit. "You know, it's okay to have a support network."

Tristan sighed. "I guess one of the things is that... My mom isn't really good at that."

Mason was tempted to respond snarkily to his statement even through the chills he got, but he kept his mouth shut.

"I hate saying anything shitty about her, but it's been like, two years? She's used my preferred name without me asking her to for like, a combined week of that."

Mason nodded. "That sucks, dude-"

"The other day she was saying I 'could have fooled her' because I was 'being so independent' or whatever, but that's bullshit! She's still paying for half if my rent, so it just felt like she was making fun of me! I mean, it's like she still thinks I think all men have to be independent or whatever. It's patronizing."

Mason stared at the coffee table in thought before returning to the conversation. "I'm glad you're opening up, but how does her transphobia have anything to do with me?"

"I... Guess it doesn't. Sorry for derailing."

The two sat there for a moment, avoiding eye contact.

"I feel like instead of telling me whatever is going on, you just vented to me about your mom." Mason began. "I'm sorry if this is out of line, but why not just cut your mom out of your life if she isn't supportive?"

Tristan's face grew hot. "It's not that easy, Mason. I'm lucky she's still in my life to begin with. Honestly, I think she sucks. I fucking hate her sometimes, but she's at least helping me with rent until I get a better job and at least she wants to talk to me."

Tristan's eyes shot open.

"I- I didn't- I said that wrong. I meant that-"

Mason looked at him.

"I- You know I don't mean it like that."

Mason took a deep breath. "I know."

"Yeah, and-"

"Is your problem with me? I'd understand."

Tristan sighed. "Not really. I guess I just feel bad because I'm still relying on her. I should do what you do and get someone to help pay the rent, but I just don't."

Mason nodded, trying not to correct him on the roommate situation. "That sounds like executive dysfunction."

Tristan raised an eyebrow. "I... Don't think it is."

"No seriously!" Mason replied. "It sounds like something you want to do but just can't. I deal with it all the time, albeit with different stuff."

"Well, you're not a doctor. That just sounds like laziness."

"Yeah, but laziness means that you don't wanna do something."

Tristan's expression reset. "...Really?"

"Yeah, dude. My... Roommate pointed that out for me once."

"...Yeah, well that's just what they think," Tristan replied with a smirk. "They were probably just being nice because you boned them."

Mason stood up. "I did not fuck my roommate! They're just a friend."

Tristan laughed. "Dude, good roommates barely talk to each other."

Mason sighed and sat back down. "That sounds super awkward."

Tristan was about to respond but was cut off by hysterical laughter coming from Mason's room.

Tristan leaned in smugly. "See? They can take a joke."

He turned around in his chair to face Mason's room. "Hey, when's he gonna introduce us, huh?"

Dead silence.

"Heh, must be shy."

"Uhh... Can we please stay on topic?"

Tristan cleared his throat and faced him. "Yeah, sorry. I... guess I tend to do a lot to please her when I really just shouldn't bother where I don't need to. I mean, she's not even here and even if she was, I shouldn't be saying some of the shit I've said to you in order to appeal to her, so I'm sorry for that."

Mason smiled. "Apology accepted."

Tristan looked at his phone and stood up. "Yeah well, I'd better get going, I guess."

"But you've only been here for like, five minutes."

Tristan sat back down. "...True."

     The two talked for at least another half hour or so about a variety of things. It wasn't over yet, but Mason felt like progress was finally being made. There was a faint spark of the friendship they used to have, and even though Tristan didn't say it, Mason could tell he benefitted a lot from the earlier conversation they had. Mason himself felt like he could relax on the couch and fidget a bit more, and although he could tell that Tristan wasn't particularly comfortable with it, he could tell that he was trying to be, which was at least something. After Tristan left, Mason went back in his room and plopped down in his bed.

"It sounds like it went well!" Domino stated. "I'm happy for you! Surprised, but still happy."

"I know, right?" Mason replied, sitting up and crossing his legs. "It still felt like he was beating around the bush, but I'm surprised he opened up at all."

Domino sat next to Mason. "I don't know what bush you're talking about, but I'm glad things seem to be getting better."

Mason sighed in relief and fell on his back, unfolding his legs. "Yeah, same. I can't believe he said that to you though."

Domino giggled. "I thought it was funny!"

Mason chuckled. "Yeah, but it was embarrassing!"

"To you, maybe! I've noticed that humans are very shy when it comes to talking about sex."

"I mean, I can talk about it but it's just invasive to me when someone jokes about it like that. I don't even like sex that much, and if I wasn't in shock I would have made it clear that I don't like it when people bring people I care about into those jokes."

Domino laid down and nuzzled up to Mason, resting their head on his chest. "Thanks! I care about you too!"

Mason blushed. "I- Yeah. He was just being a douchebag is all. He had to have been avoiding a conversation."

"I understand how that can be unpleasant. Maybe one day I'll be able to tell him off for you."

Mason blushed even harder. His heart was beating like crazy. "...Yeah. That'd be cool."

Hold the fuck on.

Oh no.

0