SS:E Ch. 56 – Arrival
22 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seth's drones whirred and buzzed as they zipped over the war-torn landscape, their sensors probing and analyzing the devastation below. The scorched earth was pockmarked with smoldering craters, jagged shards of twisted metal jutting out like the bones of some long-dead behemoth. Broken bodies of countless monstrosities littered the battlefield, their grotesque forms contorted in death.

"I've managed to adjust the comms frequency to compensate for the interference," Seth reported over the comms, his voice crackling with static. "but the portals are still down. I'm also not picking up any active portal signatures in the area." He paused, studying the readouts on his display. "Hold on... there are some residual energy traces that might give us a clue where the portal was located."

Calvin nodded, his stormlord armor still crackling with residual energy from the fierce battle. Arcs of lightning danced across the surface of his suit, casting eerie shadows across the hellish expanse. "Keep searching," he ordered, his voice firm with resolve. "We need to find that portal. In the meantime, let's make sure none of these abominations get back up. We can't afford to let our guard down."

As if summoned by Calvin's words, a savage roar echoed across the blasted landscape, sending shivers down the spines of the battle-hardened warriors. The ground erupted in a shower of dirt and debris as a pack of grotesque, multi-limbed creatures burst forth from their subterranean lair. Their maws dripped with viscous ichor, their eyes blazing with an unnatural hunger.

Tank hefted his autocannon, the massive weapon humming with barely restrained power. A fierce grin spread across his face as he faced the oncoming horde. "Good," he growled, his voice thick with anticipation. "I was starting to get bored. These ugly bastards should provide some entertainment."

The monsters charged forward, their misshapen bodies propelled by an insatiable hunger for flesh and destruction. Calvin and his companions met the onslaught head-on, their weapons flashing and powers surging as they clashed with the nightmarish creatures.

Ian wove a tapestry of elemental fury, his hands wreathed in searing flame and biting frost. With a swift motion, he sent a blast of scorching wind into the heart of the horde, scattering the monsters like leaves in a gale. "Is it just me," he called out, his voice tinged with morbid amusement, "or are these things getting uglier every time we fight them?"

Marshall laughed as he launched a volley of concussive sigils at an approaching group of monsters, the energy pulsing through the air. "Ugly is putting it mildly, brother," he retorted, his eyes gleaming with a mix of humor and determination.

Reaper's rifle barked, each shot finding its mark with unerring precision. The monsters fell, their bodies jerking and twitching as the high-caliber rounds tore through their twisted flesh. He paused to reload, his eyes narrowed in concentration. "Ugly or not," he muttered, his voice cold as the grave, "they still die when you shoot them enough."

The battle raged on, the air thick with the stench of burnt flesh and ozone. Calvin summoned a cyclone of lightning, the crackling tendrils of energy ripping through the monster ranks like a scythe through wheat. The creatures howled in agony as the lightning seared their flesh, their bodies convulsing and smoldering under the onslaught.

Seth's drones whirred and buzzed overhead, scanning the devastated landscape for any signs of the missing portal. The ground was a hellish expanse of smoldering craters and twisted metal, littered with the broken bodies of grotesque monstrosities.

Amidst the chaos, Tank's booming voice rang out over the comm link. "Hey, Seth! Next time, save some of the big ones for me before you go blowing them to smithereens!"

Seth chuckled, his laughter crackling with static. "Sorry about that, big guy. Guess I got a bit overzealous with the explosives."

"A bit?" Reaper snorted, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "You practically atomized the damn thing. Barely left any chunks big enough to shoot."

As the last of the monsters fell, torn apart by a hail of gunfire and elemental fury, the team regrouped. Their armor was splattered with gore, wisps of smoke curling from the barrels of their weapons. Calvin surveyed the battlefield with a critical eye, searching for any sign of the elusive portal.

"Drones pick up anything yet, Seth?" he asked, his voice tight with tension.

"Negative," Seth replied, his fingers dancing across the display of his scanner. "But I did get some interesting readings from that behemoth core. The energy output is absolutely insane. Off the charts."

Tank hefted the massive, pulsing orb, a wicked gleam in his eye. "Bet we could power a whole damn city with this thing. Light up the night sky for miles."

Calvin turned to Reaper, his voice low and urgent. "Any sign of Jesse or the other Corruptors? Tracks, energy signatures, anything?"

Reaper shook his head, frustration etched on his face. "Negative. It's like they just vanished into thin air. No trace."

Calvin's jaw tightened, a muscle twitching in his cheek. "They're out there somewhere, scheming and plotting their next move. We need to find them, and fast. Before they unleash something even worse than this nightmare."

He cast a grim look over the hellish expanse, the weight of their mission heavy on his shoulders. They had won this battle, but the war was far from over. Somewhere out there, the Corruptors were biding their time, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

As the battle-weary warriors scanned the hellish landscape for any signs of the missing portal, a sudden spike in Seth's sensors drew their attention skyward. Calvin's words died in his throat as he spotted something that defied all expectations - a roiling ball of fire high above them, piercing the bruised orange clouds.

"Is that..." Marshall began, his voice trailing off in disbelief.

Tank finished the thought, his gruff voice tinged with awe. "A god damned space ship?"

The colossal vessel that broke through the sky was a mockery of any craft they had ever seen on Earth. It was a chaotic tangle of obsidian plates, stitched together with glowing, bioluminescent veins that pulsed a sickly neon green. Towering spikes jutted from its surface like the twisted vertebrae of some monstrous beast, casting grotesque shadows on the cracked and dusty plains below.

As the ship descended, its landing gear unfolded with an unearthly groan. But these were no metallic legs - they were fleshy, pulsating tendrils that writhed and oozed as they sank into the barren ground. An unsettling hum emanated from the ship's depths, a vibration that resonated in their very bones.

Panels on the ship's surface, resembling the chitinous carapace of some colossal insect, hissed open. A sickly blue light spilled forth, the only color to pierce the oppressive monochrome of the alien vessel. The light cast grotesque, distorted shadows across the landing zone, a stark and horrifying contrast to the desolate landscape.

The air itself crackled with an unnatural energy, a tangible oppression that threatened to suffocate any living thing that dared draw near. The warriors stood transfixed, their weapons lowered, as they struggled to comprehend the mind-bending horror that had just descended from the sky.

In all their battles against the monstrosities of this hellish realm, they had never encountered anything like this. The ship radiated an aura of malevolence, a palpable sense of wrongness that set their teeth on edge and made their skin crawl.

As the final tendrils sank into the ground and the ship settled into place with a sickening squelch, an eerie silence fell over the battlefield. The group exchanged uneasy glances, their hearts pounding in their chests as they waited for whatever nightmare was about to emerge from the bowels of that unholy vessel.

As the nightmarish vessel settled onto the barren ground, its fleshy tendrils pulsing and writhing, Calvin activated his comms.

"You getting this, Seth?" His voice was steady, but an undercurrent of unease ran beneath the surface.

"I am..." Seth replied, his eyes glued to the scanner in his hands. "Give me a moment." His words were hesitant and distracted, trying to make sense of the bizarre readings.

Calvin glanced at the others, a wry smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. He shrugged, the gesture almost nonchalant in the face of the unfolding horror. "Well, should we go greet our guests?"

He punctuated the question with a flick of his spear, the razor-sharp tip glinting in the sickly light. The weapon hummed with barely contained power, eager to taste the flesh of whatever abomination lurked within the ship.

Reaper and Tank answered by reloading their weapons, the metallic clicks and slides a comforting sound amidst the eerie silence. The barrels of their guns gleamed, polished to a mirror sheen and ready for action.

"If it ain't one thing, it's something else," Tank grumbled, his gruff voice tinged with a mix of annoyance and anticipation. He hefted his autocannon, the massive weapon looking almost toy-like in his beefy hands.

The group pushed forward, their boots crunching on the cracked and dusty ground as they approached the ship. Despite the mind-bending wrongness that emanated from the vessel, they moved with purpose and determination.

Their faces were set in grim lines, eyes narrowed against the unnatural light. Sweat beaded on their brows, but they paid it no mind. They had faced horrors beyond imagining, and this was just another challenge to overcome.

As they drew closer, the hum from the ship grew louder, vibrating in their bones and setting their teeth on edge. The air seemed to thicken, pressing down on them like a physical weight. But still, they pressed on, weapons at the ready and senses on high alert.

What emerged from the bowels of the nightmarish ship, was a being that defied all logic and reason. Its form was vaguely humanoid, towering a full head taller than Calvin, but that was where any semblance of humanity ended. Its skin was a sickly, pallid grey-green, like the flesh of a corpse left to rot in a fetid swamp. The surface was mottled and pockmarked, riddled with pulsating veins that glowed with an eerie bioluminescence.

Its face was a grotesque nightmare, a twisted amalgamation of features that seemed to shift and change with each passing moment. A gaping maw dominated the lower half of its face, filled with jagged, razor-sharp teeth that dripped with a viscous, black ichor. Its nose was little more than two slits, flaring with each rasping breath it took.

But it was the eyes that truly struck fear into the hearts of those who beheld them. They were a radiant, burning orange, like the embers of a dying fire. They seemed to pierce the very soul, filled with an ancient malevolence that spoke of eons of cruelty and depravity.

Its arms were long and sinuous, ending in wickedly curved talons that gleamed in the sickly light. Each talon was easily the length of a human forearm, tapering to a needle-sharp point. They flexed and twitched with a predatory eagerness, as if itching to rend flesh from bone.

This being was clad in an armor that seemed to be an extension of its own twisted flesh. The plates were a deep, glossy black, shot through with veins of pulsing green light. They shifted and moved with each step, as if alive and sentient. Spikes jutted from the shoulders and forearms, cruel and barbed, ready to impale any who dared come too close.

A tattered cloak hung from its shoulders, a deep, blood red that seemed to writhe and shift of its own accord. It was as if the very fabric was woven from the screams of the damned, a physical manifestation of the suffering and despair that Kyrak left in its wake.

As it stepped down the ramp, its footfalls were heavy and deliberate, each step sending a shudder through the ground. The air around it seemed to warp and twist, as if reality itself was straining to accommodate its presence.

Calvin and his companions stood transfixed, their weapons lowered, as they struggled to comprehend the sheer wrongness of the being before them. They had faced countless horrors in their battles against the corrupted forces, but nothing could have prepared them for the nightmare before them. One Calvin recognized immediately. Kyrak.

His very presence radiated an aura of malevolence, a palpable sense of dread that seeped into their bones and chilled their blood. It was as if all the darkness and cruelty of the universe had coalesced into a single, monstrous form, a being of pure, unadulterated evil.

Calvin's grip tightened on his spear, the weapon humming with power. He could feel the storm essence within him stirring, responding to the threat before him.

As Kyrak's burning orange eyes swept over the group, a cruel, twisted smile split its grotesque face. Its voice, when it spoke, was a grating, inhuman rasp that seemed to echo from the depths of some infernal abyss.

"So, these are the champions of humanity," he sneered, each word dripping with contempt. "The ones who dare to stand against the inevitable tide of corruption."

His gaze settled on Calvin, boring into him with an intensity that made his skin crawl. "You have been a thorn in my side for too long, little storm lord," he hissed, flexing its talons with a predatory eagerness. "But now, you will learn the true meaning of power."

Calvin met Kyrak's gaze unflinchingly, his jaw set in a grim line. He could feel the fear and revulsion churning in his gut, but he refused to let it show on his face. He had come too far, fought too hard, to be cowed by this monstrosity.

"You underestimate us, Kyrak," he said, his voice steady and filled with a quiet determination. "We have faced your minions and your abominations, and we have emerged victorious every time. We will not fall to you, no matter what horrors you unleash upon us."

Kyrak threw back his head and laughed, a sound that was like the scraping of metal on bone. "You have no idea what true horror is, little storm lord," he rasped, his eyes gleaming with a malicious delight. "But you will learn, oh yes. You will all learn, as your world is consumed by the corruption and everything you hold dear is torn asunder."

With a sudden, blinding speed, Kyrak lunged forward, his talons outstretched and his maw gaping wide. Calvin barely had time to raise his spear before the creature was upon him, a whirlwind of slashing claws and snapping teeth.

 

1