Chapter 16 – A new beginning? But… For me? or for her?
172 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Her first appearance in this new world, it is a bit longer than usual but i think it is of a reasonable quality, if you spot any error leave a comment

I am looking at the woman in the hospital bed through Freya's mark, and by the looks of it she is giving birth this very moment.

I can feel the mark moving, but the woman did not move that much??

The woman gave birth to a girl and strangely... the mark seems to be following... the newborn girl location???

Well... i was not expecting this outcome. But i can say for sure that is quite a peculiar experience to see the birthing of your deceased wife, and something makes me think this is not going to be the most "peculiar" thing about this whole situation....

Okey, i need to think how to proceed from now on, let's put some effort into this.

...

With 200 minds working on this for a hour, i ended with a few plans on how to proceeded but more than half was immediately thrown in the trash as they were quite bad. I mean it in both execution and in a moral sense.

'Even with the few plans i was left with, all of them needed at least three things to start making some sense in a practical way.'

'The first was money, obviously. I had plenty of money, but i doubt it would be useful where Freya was, so my plan was to do something similar to what i did in my world, which is to use some skill to produce something then sell said thing, i don't think is that much interesting to sell my [Silk] again as it is both repetitive and i don't think it will be that successful in the modern times, so i will look in the skill shop in a instant for such skill.

The second is a way to get in contact with Freya, but with the plan i am sticking with, it will come rather easily with the third essential point i will be needing.

The third and quite frankly the most important to make the previous two factors in the plan to work, is simply a identity.'

'What would happen if a person with no past, id or known identity suddenly comes to a bank and tries to deposit a million dollars in a account? How such person would even create a account in the first place?'

'And how would you feel if a stranger came and tried to interact with your baby daughter? And how would you react if said stranger started to spout some nonsense about how your daughter is in fact their deceased wife and they must be together in some way? At best you would call the police, and at worst you would do "something bad" to the stranger.'

So a direct contact was a big no.

'But that was where my plan shined, it was rather simple, really, firstly i would get some money, in some not so legitimate means unfortunately, this step is unavoidable as i would not have a identity until the next step, secondly, i would get a identity and then make some money with more legitimate means like selling my skill's created stuff, and finally i would somehow turn myself into a child and as a child i would get in contact in Freya and then depending on the result of our interaction i would proceeded in a certain away, but i will see in which way when that time comes.'

'It might sound crazy at first, but...well... you got me, it is crazy indeed, but it is possible because of the system based on what i saw from it in these years i been using it, and this plan was the most reasonable from the ones i was left with, one of them even involved in me kidnapping Freya and then raising her myself, which is strange, even for me.'

'With the plan ready let's proceed to the skill necessary to make it really work.'

[Showing results for the search of "Skills that allow the user to create items"]

[Creation]

[Materials]

[Energy]

...

'The first three seem the go-to in my situation, but... despite the [Creation] skill allowing me to create almost anything as the name implies, it costs 100k shop points, so this one is a no'

'With the [Energy] one it would be possible to sell blocks made of pure energy , but i believe the only people interested would be governments and companies that make weapons, but said governments will very likely also make weapons with the energy somehow, so also a no'

'My last viable option is [Materials], which as the name implies, let's me create any material i came close or got in contact with, it works in a very similar way to [Threads] like allowing me to create stuff, manipulate said stuff, absorb it for energy and etc, it costs only 2k points so i will go with this one'

'Now for the identity'

[Showing results for the search of "Skill that allow the user to change identity or pass as a child"]

[Possession]

[Rejuvenation]

[Illusions]

[Shape-Shifting]

...

After seeing the search results i don't even needed time to think further as the best choice was obvious, the [Shape-Shifting] cost me only 1.5k points.

...

After a few rounds of testing i got the hang of the skills, but they had quite a few limitations because of their low level so i went deep into the forest close to Manguul city and made 200 clones and left them practicing these new skills.

When i returned home Hnossa gave me a questioning look for a moment but did not pry further and returned to reading her book. I was not ready to tell her about the Freya situation for the time being but after i got some more info, i for sure will tell her about what i discovered.

...

A month went by with my clones focused on practicing the two new skills, i got them to a decent level and was almost ready to go.

I deactivated the 200 clones and proceeded with the preparations.

'I only need to do three things before going there'

I made a black briefcase with [Threads] and put a few gold bars and gems made with [Materials] inside it, i proceeded to make a clone to stay at home in my place and changed my appearance with [Shape-Shifting].

I choose to maintain most of my features but changing a few details, firstly i changed my skin to a darker tone of brown almost grey and shrunk down to be a little smaller than Freya's height when she was with me, i obviously had to adjust my clothes to fit my body and after i was done, i was left wearing a long black dress and a large brim hat with a pair of gray evening gloves.

While the clone went back home i readied myself one more time and teleported close to where Freya's mark was located.

...

I found myself in a empty alley in which i was guessing was the middle of the city, i checked Freya's mark again just to confirm where i was, and from what i was seeing, i was in a alley close to the apartment Freya lived.

I was looking at the people walking at the streets outside the alley and after some calculations i observed that i was still somewhat taller than them but i did not care that much about it, but i concentrated the [Fog] around my face just to make sure and then i immediately started scanning the surface level thoughts and memories of the city people in search of something, somebody that would buy this gold and gems without asking questions.

...

After 2.5 hours wandering the city i stopped in a alley by the side of a bar, that's where the buyer would be.

{POV change}

{In a dark room in the back of a bar, at 23:47 in the night}

I was checking today's profit as usual but then i almost had a fucking heart attack as i noticed a person come out of the shadows at the corner of the room, i thought they were after my life so i immediately reached to the gun bellow the table and secretly pointed it towards them, but as they didn't take the opportunity to do a surprise attack when they had the chance, i gave them the benefit of the doubt and said to the:

"Who are you?! If you are a assassin, you are doing a pretty shitty job!"

Now that they were in the light i took a good look, i noticed they were disarmed and was in fact "just" a tall woman holding a briefcase, as i examined her, she responded with a silky and warm voice:

"Assassin? No. I am a client, i came here because i heard two humors about you, the first is that you do business without asking unnecessary questions, and the second is that you can arrange a new identity to someone if they pay the right amount, and i think i have the right amount."

She opened the briefcase she was holding to show a dozen gold bars and quite the amount of different types of gems, i will confess that i got a little greedy, it's my nature, but i did not let her distract me, contrary to her voice, because of my experience with dangerous folks i could tell from each minor movement she made that she was not a weak and frail women, her movements gave her away as someone who is not only accustomed to killing, but do it very easily with expertise and deadlines beyond every person i saw until now, my muscles stiffened and  i tightened my grip on the gun even knowing she probably could kill me in a instant, but she continued speaking after noticing my stiffness.

"Relax, as i said, i am a client, i am in need of money and a identity, and you can give me both, i would like to exchange these valuables for them, you can even buy them to sell them later for a higher price, or do something else, it's up to you"

She seemed to have no bad intentions with me for the moment so i loosed the grip on the gun and said "Okay, wait just a moment while i call an appraiser" as called Carlos, my jewelry appraiser, through the intercom and informed him that we had a client.

I was feeling like i could win the lottery by how lucky i got, he was currently at the building and only took a few minutes that felt like hours to arrive in the room.

When Carlos  arrived he immediately asked where the items were, i was sweating bullets but luckily the woman did not take offence and just opened the briefcase and gently put it on top of my table, i swear that if she is trying to act like a defenseless woman she's doing a bad job, but again, not letting my thoughts wander i focused on Carlos as he examined the goods.

After a few minutes of examining the gold and gems Carlos said with a smile:

"Boss! This is the real deal! this is pure pure gold and these gems are the best ones i have seen until now, from what i can tell, all of this is worth at least 135 million"

Carlos came to my side and whispered into my ear:

"Boss, you must buy these gems, we can later resell them for 200 million for a easy profit"

As the woman herself said i could resell the items, i for sure would not let this chance pass so i told Carlos to prepare the money, and while he went prepare it i said to the woman:

"About the identity, do you have any preference, or something you would like to add to the identity?"

After a few seconds of silence she answered with "The name will be Inanis Revna, 34 years old, a widow that come from a rich family that owns a few gold and diamond mines across the world and has a daughter from the marriage, and i would appreciate if this identity were registered into the official systems, you can take from the gold and gems money to cover the costs of the identity"

I had a suspicion that some of what she was saying was true, but i am not a fool to pry into my clients past so i gave a honest answer.

"To tell the truth the money is going to be ready in 2 days, but the identity will be done in a week, and to put it in the systems will take another week, how can i contact you when they are ready?"

Her answer gave me quite the goosebumps.

"No need to contact me, i will be there when the time comes, as i can find you anywhere you don't need to worry, goodbye"

And what she did next almost made me shit my pants.

The moment i blinked she was gone, no sound, no light and no traces, i knew she was someone i could not mess with from her behavior alone but this disappearing trick just confirmed what i was already sure, so my next step was to add Inanis Revna to my list of VIPs, i could put a note saying "Don't mess with her" in the list, but our encounter said enough on it's own.

And another thing that chilled my bones was that after our encounter, no matter how hard i tried, i could not remember her face. 

I for sure would have nightmares today

...

{MC POV}

After dealing with the money and identity problem i wandered for a hour or two to a park in center of the city and made myself a camping tent with the necessary for a good night and put it behind a tree then went to sleep with a few minds awake.

6