Mirror Image
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Believing everyone is dangerous, but believing nobody is more dangerous.

Boledov Apartment Building, Traugutt Street, Room 404

A few hours had passed since Ludwik finished his meeting with his boss. After that, and after discussing some other things with Egon over his story reports, he returned to the little comfort he found in the sanctuary of his apartment. He lived on the top floor of the four-story building, giving him a great view of the city outside. He was thankful that he managed to find both an enjoyable and affordable place to live. His landlord, Roch, was an oddly friendly fellow. Roch was quite generous, and willing to wait a few days for Ludwik's rent payment if he couldn't cough it up at the moment. 

Currently, Ludwik found himself staring into his bathroom mirror reflection. He took note of his facial features: his long yet straight nose, his square jawline, the scruffy short facial hair he had yet to shave off. His thick, lengthy dark brown hair, light blue eyes, and tall stature. Likely due to his Gabon ancestry from his mother's side of the family - he knew he was taller than the average Yorgish man. The reporter began to talk with his own reflection. 

"Everything is fine, there is no need to worry. The interview will be fine, there's plenty of time to prepare," he emphasized, as if trying to convince himself. He felt frustrated, taking a few breaths in and out to focus. "We've done this before. Remember the mayor? We felt the same way about him, and we turned out fine. Why would this be different?" 

"Because Zofia wasn't involved in that story," his reflection spoke back. Strangely, Ludwik didn't seem to act surprised or disturbed by this. If anything, he acted as if this were normal. 

"I'm sure Zofia will understand." 

"And what if she doesn't?", his reflection responded. "You know how she is when someone gets in the way of what she wants. Need I remind you?" 

"It's not like that!", Ludwik said, unaware he raised his voice. "She's never crossed us before. She'll understand if we just explain everything to her. Besides, she isn't that petty, anyways." His reflection goes back to normal, and Ludwik leaves the restroom. 

He placed his jacket on a little wooden coat hanger, and his blue bag of books was sitting on the table in front of his small couch. He walked over to the window panes and pulled the curtains to the side. Outside he could see rain pouring down onto the city, the dark clouds ever present above. It's a good thing I made it back here before the real downpour began. Across his apartment building was another one, with a dark gray color, built at around the same height. There were various buildings that were constructed tightly together, as expected of a major urban city. In between his apartment and the other was the road, with two sidewalks on the sides of it. Ludwik could see a few pedestrians walking around trying to return home, and a handful of cars driving along the road. 

In the midst of it all, he spotted what looked like an Ochtajpa member patrolling the area. The officer's appearance was unmistakable: the black uniform and pants, brown undershirt (although that part was hard to tell), a light gray beret, and the large rifle he was carrying. Looks like he's only keeping an eye out for troublemakers. That's good. Ludwik knew the secret police were efficient at their jobs, always snooping around for any signs of regime dissenters, or resistance sympathizers, or foreign spies. Those who were suspected usually "disappeared" without a trace, or were sent away to toil in a camp or mine indefinitely.

Ludwik also saw two flags hanging side to side from each other at the other apartment. They were unmistakably flags of the new Yorgish state. The background was purple, while a large yellowish-golden ouroboros serpent was in the middle, including a small white center with a red eagle within the ouroboros. Ludwik preferred the flag of the old republic more - he couldn't exactly remember much of how it looked, given it had been a decade since he had seen one in public. 

Ludwik took a moment to sit down on the couch, and looked through the bag of books Sobieski gave him. He glanced at their titles and checked for any bookmarks, to see how relevant each was to his case. Some of the book's contents caught his eyes: the history of the Tojo Shogunate, the Ishibara Rebellion and the rise of the Hiyaran Empire, Hiyaran mannerisms and culture, and the old Shataguran Empire. Perhaps not the last one; the more recent historical events may be more helpful. 

He began reading the book about the Ishibara Rebellion. This was the uprising that led to the fall of the Tojo Shogunate and the establishment of the Kinomoto Dynasty in Hiyara in 2932. The Kinomoto clan would be recognized as the Imperial Royal family until 3052, when the Tanimoto Dynasty replaced them. In another book, he learned how critical Hiyarans were of both their heritage and respect. They may show modesty by bowing at a slight 45 degree angle.

Ludwik stopped around there, not wanting to spend the rest of his day reading. Besides, there was something on his mind that kept him from continuing. He kept thinking back to what Zofia said - how she offered to go out to Sokolowski's tomorrow. If she was being serious, I suppose I should go. What else am I going to do? Read? Watching TV? I don't really have much better to do. Besides, I might even enjoy it. 

He wondered if Zofia would help him with research if he asked her for it - although he was not how she'd feel about it. She would definitely be helpful. It's better than nothing. Plus, she kind of has a point. It might be good to get out more. 

— — — — — — — - - - - - - - - 

The following morning was nothing out of the ordinary for Ludwik. He got dressed, arrived at the Ya Vezde building and tried looking for Zofia, but found no sign of her. He figured she was likely covering a new story already, given that it wouldn't surprise him if she was. Working with Zofia made Ludwik realize that she did not like to waste time, especially if deadlines were tight. And with how demanding their work was, he understood why. 

He later went to Egon and worked on a rather simple column for the day, nothing too crazy. (For the sake of progression and not more filler, this next report is not important plotwise, so I'm not going to explain it in full detail). 

After venturing out in the city to report on the story, Ludwik returned to the Ya Vezde building. He walked past a few pedestrians on the crosswalks, and on his way back, he saw Zofia violently slam open the door to the entrance. She appeared upset, muttering something incomprehensible under her breath while crumbling a sheet of paper in her hands. By the time she noticed Ludwik was there, she froze, embarrassed and slightly angry.

"Zofia… what's wrong? Did Petr fight with you again?" Ludwik had a pretty good idea what was wrong, but he wanted to confirm it first. She must have found out. 

Zofia scoffed in annoyance. "You don't need to play dumb with me, Lud. I know. Sobieski told me." She emphasized that last part, as if to leave no doubt as to what she meant. 

"I was trying to tell you about it sooner, but I didn't see you anywhere," Ludwik explained, stuttering a little. Is she more mad that I didn't tell her or mad that I got the story? Or both? 

Zofia took a deep breath. "I can't help but be a little bugged… but I'm not really mad at you." She seemed to be more understanding when she said that part, then became angry once more. "I'm mad at that bastard for handing the story over to you just like that! I tried to get him to reconsider, but he wouldn't budge! Said I wasn't what was needed for the story!" 

She breathed in and out again. "Lud, I'm not trying to take this out on you, or make this all about me, or, you know, uh…", she said as she began fumbling with her words. 

"It's fine. I understand." He gently smiled. "I know you were looking forward to it." 

"It's not just that," Zofia continued. "I know a lot more about Hiyara than you do. I even know a bit about their royal family! And he just gives it to you!" 

"Well, he never said you couldn't help me with the interview," Ludwik tried to reassure her. "We could always work together on this." 

Zofia was torn between the idea. "Perhaps… but I really don't like not getting credit for my own work, especially if it's something I've worked really hard on to accomplish." She paused, taking a moment to close her eyes and recollect. "But if it helps you, and helps inform our people… then I'll do it." 

"Thank you, Zofia." So she's not mad at us, that's good. Now let's ask her about the bar before it's too late. "Um, are you still up for Sokolowski's tonight? It might help you get over this." 

She reluctantly responded. "Well… I'm free tonight, yes." She recalled her daily schedule, to remember any times she'd be available. "Would you be free at around six?" 

Okay, that's good. That works. We can be there then. "Ah, yes, that sounds perfect." 

Zofia gave him a warm smile. "Great. I'll see you then. Don't keep me waiting too long." 

0