Chapter 18
213 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The plaza buzzed with murmurs as people craned their necks to catch sight of a 10-year-old boy standing confidently on the stage. Dressed in a sleek black hanfu, his youthful features were accentuated by the elegant attire. His sharp, observant eyes and jet-black hair framing his face added an air of quiet elegance.

Whispers rippled through the crowd as onlookers formed their opinions based on what they saw and heard, especially regarding his results in the divine eye mirror.

"He's so lucky to have three nature affinities," one spectator remarked.

"Tsk, what's so lucky about that? He's merely fortunate," another countered.

Observing his attire, someone commented, "Judging by what he's wearing, it's clear he doesn't come from a privileged background. He might struggle to improve his nature affinity level."

"Being ordinary and uncommon, he might find it challenging to gain acceptance into a sect, depending on which cultivator he chooses," added another voice.

"You're right; with that grade of spiritual root and bone marrow, any sect that takes him in would just be wasting resources," chimed in another.

"I know a disciple who's still in the outer sect because he couldn't advance beyond a certain realm due to his low-quality spiritual root and bone marrow," shared a concerned bystander.

"He'll be fortunate if he even gets a chance to join or be accepted into a sect because of his bloodline," concluded another opinionated onlooker.

The crowd's attention shifted towards a man whose voice held a tone of authority and wisdom.

"Do you all realize that an unknown bloodline must be awakened or unlocked? Only then will the grade and rarity of his bloodline become known," he explained.

"If his bloodline proves to be rare or exceptional, it could be a tremendous blessing for him," he added.

"To awaken his bloodline, resources like cultivation pills, spiritual stones, or artifacts are required. Given his attire and the unknown village he comes from, access to such resources seems unlikely," the man pointed out, drawing nods of agreement from the crowd.

"So, you're suggesting that attempting to awaken his bloodline is a gamble?" another man queried, seeking clarification.

"Exactly," the man affirmed. "There's a possibility that his bloodline is ordinary, and even if awakened, challenges will arise due to his low-quality spiritual root and bone marrow."

The sentiment resonated with the crowd.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles to advance his cultivation level," someone murmured.

"I'd advise him to reconsider his aspirations of becoming a cultivator," an old man added, casting a contemplative gaze at the boy on the stage.

As the conversation continued, whispers filled the air, speculating about the child's fate and future prospects. However, the murmurs came to a halt when a lady from another part of the plaza spoke up, addressing the crowd's reaction and prompting a moment of reflection among the onlookers.

"Who are you to say he can't become a cultivator?" the lady challenged the old man, her voice firm with determination.

"Are you his grandfather, dictating his path? If you are, shouldn't you be supporting him in whatever he chooses?"

She gestured at the crowd that had gathered, her eyes filled with disapproval. "Instead of undermining him, all of you," she said, pointing accusingly at the people engaged in the heated discussion about the child's future, "should be ashamed of yourselves."

The onlookers shifted uncomfortably under her piercing gaze, feeling the weight of her words.

"Lady, who are you to question us like this? We're merely stating our opinions," one of them retorted defensively.

"I'm just his older sister, and it's my duty to protect him," she replied calmly, her resolve unwavering.

She took a deep breath before continuing, "And as for his supposed low grade of spiritual root and bloodline, perhaps you've forgotten that there was once a person who became a sovereign despite having similarly low grades of spiritual root and bone marrow."

Her words hung in the air, challenging the prejudices and preconceptions of those around her.

....

A "sovereign" is an exceptionally powerful and influential figure who holds authority over others, often through mastery of cultivation or martial arts.

....

"He proved to everyone that having a low grade doesn't hinder one from becoming a cultivator," the lady asserted firmly.

"That's just a story in books or myths, intended to instill false hope in young people like you, making them believe they can become renowned cultivators," a man countered dismissively.

"Let's be realistic and not be swayed by tales lacking any basis in reality," a scholar added, nodding in agreement.

The young girl accompanying the lady seemed eager to respond, but the lady silenced her with a gentle hand gesture. Amidst the ongoing whispers and conversations, the lady caught the attention of the young boy and beckoned him over. When he approached, she enveloped him in a comforting hug.

"Don't mind them, Madara, okay?"

Though he didn't reply, Madara felt the warmth of her embrace. After a moment, he returned the hug, finding solace in her presence.

The lady then guided the two children to a nearby bench in the plaza. As they waited for the event to conclude, she reached into her storage ring and pulled out Spiritual Meat Skewers, offering them to the children.

These skewers are made from various mystical beasts found. Cooked over open flames imbued with spiritual energy, they are said to impart strength and vitality to those who consume them.

When Madara received the food, he wasted no time in devouring it. The savory flavor, tinged with an otherworldly essence, left him feeling energized and invigorated with each bite.

"Wow, sister, these are delicious," Madara exclaimed between bites.

As they enjoyed their meal, Li Lu turned to her with a curious expression.

"Big sister, how did all of this fit inside the storage ring?" she asked, chewing thoughtfully.

"While we wait for the scanning to finish and for us to finish eating, I'll explain what it's for," she said, preparing to enlighten them about the mysterious storage ring.

"A storage ring is a magical item that creates a pocket dimension inside a ring, allowing users to store and retrieve objects with ease. They're like portable, unlimited storage spaces, making it convenient for us to carry essential items on our adventures."

"Sister, how do you store and retrieve objects with this ring?" Madara asked, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"You can store objects by simply placing them into the ring or using a specific command gesture. To retrieve them, focus on the desired item mentally and reach into the ring," she explained.

The two children listened attentively, amazed by the ring's capabilities. They waited patiently on a nearby bench as the scanning continued. Finally, after what felt like hours, the process came to an end. An attendant of Lord Sun Hao rang a gong, signaling the conclusion of the gathering.

Elder Sect Master Yu Yan stepped forward to retrieve the divine eye mirror from the stage. Holding it carefully, he addressed the crowd, particularly those aspiring to become cultivators.

"In five years, we will hold a selection in Taiyuan City. We will choose individuals who have reached at least the above middle stage of the Qi Condensation Realm. Remember, our selection criteria do not depend on the type of cultivator you are," he announced.

With his message delivered, people began to disperse from the plaza. Some were deep in thought, while others discussed their plans. The atmosphere was filled with a mix of anticipation and determination as everyone considered their paths in the world of cultivation.

"Madara, Li Lu, let's head to the inn; it's getting late, and we need to wake up early tomorrow for our journey," she said, glancing at the darkening sky.

The two children swiftly rose from the bench and followed her through the plaza. Passing the street shops, Madara noticed they were back at the same place they had been earlier, where he had seen a shop selling books.

Looking around, he spotted the book he had noticed before. Xiao Yun caught his interest and asked, "Do you want that book, Madara?"

Caught off guard, he hesitated to answer. Xiao Yun smiled reassuringly and said, "Don't worry, I still have some extra money. Let's get it."

Encouraged by her words, Madara nodded in agreement, and they made their way to the shop. The shop had a simple exterior with weathered wooden doors, paper lanterns casting a soft glow, and a sign bearing its name in elegant calligraphy.

Upon entering, they were greeted by shelves lined with exotic potions and shimmering crystals. The air was filled with the fragrance of rare herbs and incense, creating a tranquil atmosphere. The shopkeeper, dressed in robes, warmly welcomed them from behind a wooden counter.

Approaching the counter, Xiao Yun pointed out the book Madara had been interested in. The shopkeeper retrieved it promptly and handed it to her. Just as she was about to call Madara, she noticed he was standing there, captivated by something else—a simple wooden flute on display.

"Madara, would you like that flute?" Xiao Yun asked, noticing his interest.

Before he could answer, his sister had already purchased it for him. "What about you, Li Lu? See anything you like?" she inquired.

"No, big sister, I'm good," Li Lu replied with a smile.

With their selections made, they left the shop and headed to the inn where they were staying. As they walked, Xiao Yun handed Madara the book and the flute he had been admiring earlier. Gratefully, he thanked her.

"It's no big deal. It's the first time you've asked me for something like this, Madara," she said warmly.

After a few minutes, they arrived at the inn. Entering the dining area, they took a seat at one of the tables. Xiao Yun signaled for a waiter to take their dinner order.

....

"Qi Essence Stir-Fry." It's a colorful blend of celestial vegetables stir-fried with herbs known for replenishing spiritual energy. Garnished with edible flowers, it offers a balance of flavors and enhances vitality.

"Immortal's Delight Dumplings" are small parcels filled with celestial meats and rare herbs. Steamed to perfection, they offer a burst of flavor and vitality, served with a dipping sauce infused with celestial fruits.

And "Qi Infusion Tea" is a popular drink brewed from rare leaves harvested from ancient trees. It's known for enhancing spiritual energy and promoting inner balance. It's served in ornate cups for a refreshing and revitalizing experience.

....

Shortly after, the waiter served their meals, and they began to eat, enjoying their evening together.

....

....

In the distance, a luxury inn boasted a grand exterior with intricately carved pillars, golden decorations, and elegant banners. Marble staircases led to imposing double doors guarded by stone lions, while lush gardens added to the opulent ambiance.

In a lavishly adorned room, the elegance of the setting perfectly complemented the young boy seated within. He sat leisurely by the window, savoring his tea as he gazed at the tranquil view outside.

At the sound of a knock, he glanced towards the door, curiosity lighting up his eyes.

"Young master, may I come in?" the voice from outside asked.

"Come in, and why are you disturbing my rest?" Zhang Hao responded, his curiosity evident.

"Young master, I heard some news after the scanning concluded. The elder masters will hold a selection in Tianyun City in five years to choose their disciples."

"And..."

"Why did you stop?" Zhang Hao interrupted, taking another sip of tea.

"Young master, do you remember the boy who prevented you from hitting his sister?" the servant asked, his tone carrying a hint of significance.

Zhang Hao furrowed his brow upon hearing this."What about him?"

His guard informed him of the scanning results. As Zhang Hao listened, his brow relaxed. Once he had all the information, he instructed his guard to prepare the carriage for a return journey to Tianyun City. The guard promptly left the room to carry out the orders.

Seated once more, Zhang Hao stared out the window, lost in thought as he reflected on the recent events.

"How did that happen? Despite the various grades and rarities, he managed to stop me from hitting his sister," he mused aloud.

"We were even at the same cultivation level. Was I defeated by such a mere brat like him?"

"He used only raw physical strength and speed."

"It seems I need to train harder."

His thoughts came to a halt.

"Uchiha Madara..."

13