Chapter 1
1.2k 3 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The afternoon sun cast its glow, illuminating one of the well-known university's corners. A college student leisurely occupied a bench, engrossed in his cell phone.

"Huh? Is that it? No more next page?" he muttered to himself.

Swiftly, he navigated to the homepage of the material he had been engrossed in. "Oh, that's why the writer dropped the novel. Such a shame; it was still good," he commented on the unfortunate conclusion of the novel he had just finished.

While perusing the writer's profile, he glimpsed at his cell phone's clock, realizing that break time was nearing its end, marking the commencement of the final subject for his course. "I enjoyed reading that," he remarked.

Stretching his arms and gearing up to head to the assigned room. After three hours of discussion, as the class was on the brink of dismissal, one of his classmates approached him.Mike, could you please send the chapter I requested for our thesis defense to my Gmail?" his classmate asked. Without hesitation, Mike swiftly replied as he prepared to exit the classroom.

Navigating the lengthy hallway, he noticed a group of classmates sharing laughter, and one in particular captured his attention. "She looks beautiful even from a distance," he whispered to himself, his gaze lingering on the girl who held a special place in his heart.

He paused for a moment, and he suddenly caught sight of someone waving within that group. "Mike, come here," a student beckoned, gesturing for him to join. Curious, Mike swiftly made his way to Harold, wondering about the reason behind the call.

Upon reaching him, he was surprised as Harold embraced him from behind and guided him to a secluded corner, creating a bit of distance from the group he was originally with.

Casually draping his arm over Mike's shoulder, Harold said, "Mike, can you please draw this?" He then revealed a picture. A sudden question arose in Mike's mind as he accepted the image. To his astonishment, the subject he was tasked with drawing turned out to be none other than Lyn, his crush.

"Mike, I'll pay you now for half of the total amount," Harold said, taking money from his wallet.

In a tight spot due to insufficient support from his parents, Mike found it difficult to decline. Reluctantly, he agreed. "I'll need it by tomorrow, and sorry for the rush; it's Lyn's birthday tomorrow," Harold informed him. Mike simply nodded in response, understanding the urgency of the situation.

In their section, he stood out as the sole possessor of a talent for drawing. Walking away down the hallway, he stole a glance back at Lyn, witnessing her engaged in a joyful conversation with Harold and their friends.

Strolling towards the train station, he unlocked his cell phone and plugged in his earphones, immersing himself in music while anticipating the train's arrival. Night had already fallen when he stepped off the train and made his way home.

As he retrieved her picture from his bag, he silently reflected, "Tomorrow is Lyn's birthday." A hint of melancholy permeated his tone as he unintentionally arrived in front of his house.

His family's two-story house appeared ordinary at a glance, yet upon closer inspection, signs of aging became apparent. "I'm home," he declared as he removed his shoes, the wear and tear of time evident in the details of the dwelling.

And suddenly, his mother, appearing weary from a day's work, welcomed him.

"Ah, it's good you're home. Come, rest, and have your meal," his mother warmly expressed, gently taking his bag. "Thank you, Ma," Mike replied with gratitude, appreciating the welcoming atmosphere.

Mike quickly made his way to his room to change into fresh clothes and grab a bite for dinner. Descending to the dining area, he suddenly halted as his father awaited him.

"Mike, you're home. Come, have your meal," his father uttered, his gaze fixed on him. Hastening down the stairs, he settled into a seat.

"Father, you're home early. Is there something going on?" Mike inquired. His younger brother Jun and his mother Emy stopped eating, diverting their attention to the unfolding conversation.

"Children, my dear wife, I am among those laid off from my job as a security guard at a construction site," his father revealed, carrying the weight of disappointment in his words.

Emy promptly embraced her beloved husband, providing solace for his sadness. She reassured him, saying, "My love, it's okay to lose a job than to have something bad happen to you." Mike chimed in, "Dad, it's okay, and in a few months, I'll graduate from mechanical engineering." He expressed a sense of pride in his impending accomplishment.

Jun approached his father to share in the moment and said, "Dad, I'll also graduate from elementary school with honors." He spoke with joy, intending to bring a smile to his father's face.

Upon hearing the encouraging words from his family, Sonny felt a renewed sense of hope amidst his sadness.

He declared, "Don't worry, my children. I will apply for a new job." His statement resonated with determination and resolve, showcasing his commitment to overcoming the challenges that lay ahead.

"Alright, let's eat before the dinner that your mom prepared gets cold," he said to his family. They replied and resumed their dinner. After a few minutes, Mike went to his room to tackle the drawing assignment he had been given.

Before he began drawing, he noticed his younger brother, Jun, peeking through his door. He asked, "Jun, why are you still awake? What do you need?" Jun replied, "Mike, can you teach me how to play the flute?" pointing to the flute displayed alongside Mike's anime drawings.

"Oh, you want to learn. What's it for?" he asked with curiosity. Jun explained, "Brother, we need to showcase talents for the talent show at our school's year-end party before we graduate. I don't have any talents except for academics, so I thought of trying something different."

"Please, can you teach me?" Jun pleaded with his brother. Mike suddenly smiled, reminiscing about how he became skilled in playing the flute without a formal teacher—just relying on YouTube tutorials and Google searches to learn how to use the flute.

"Of course, Jun," Mike said with a smile, grabbing his flute from the display. "Big brother, what kind of flute is that? I've never seen one like it before," Jun asked in amazement.

"Oh, this? It's a Chinese flute. I bought it in Chinatown near our place," Mike replied while handling the Chinese flute. "Don't worry, I have another one. Just wait a moment; let me get it from under my bed." He quickly bent down and retrieved another flute from under his bed.

"Take care of that, okay?" Mike happily said as he handed the flute to his little brother. Jun was about to play his flute when his big brother stopped him.

"Mom and Dad are already asleep; we might disturb them. Let's just continue this teaching tomorrow, alright?" Mike suggested. Jun quickly asked his brother, "What time are we starting, Big Brother?" with determination in his voice.

"Hmm... when I get back from school, maybe a little before nightfall, I'll be home," Mike said to his brother. "I'll wait for you, Big Brother," Jun said as he left his room with the flute Mike gave him.

After that, Mike immediately prepared his drawing materials. He turned on the desk lamp near his table and started working on the drawing. After a few hours, it was already late at night when he finished drawing Lyn's face, which Harold had given him. He carefully examined it, checking for any flaws or excess shading. Suddenly, he paused.

"You're beautiful. If only we were wealthy, or if I were handsome, would there be a chance for us to be together?" Mike said, gazing at the drawing of Lyn's face in his hands.

"The one who excels in academics or is talented in an instrument can still find a way through practice and learning, but becoming wealthy? That's a long process. Being handsome, though, that's a different story," he added.

Mike stood up from his seat, hung the drawing alongside his anime drawings on the wall of his small room, and then prepared himself for sleep.

The next morning, Mike hastily got dressed without bothering to shower or brush his teeth, having stayed up late finishing the drawing. "Mom, I'm leaving. I'll be late," he told his mom, who was preparing breakfast.

"Wait, my child, drink some milk and have at least a slice of bread before you go. It's not good to go out without eating. You might get sick," Emy advised him.

"Okay, Mom," Mike quickly followed his mom's instructions.

"I'm leaving now, Mom," he said after completing the task she had assigned him. As he departed, he heard his mom saying, "Take care, my child," which brought a smile to his face as he hurried away.

 

33