Chapter 1
119 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ren!" A shout echoed through the entire house, reaching my room.

 

I tried to ignore it when I saw that it was only 6:30 on the clock, and above all, I didn't want to get up so early on a Saturday.

 

"REN!!!"

 

Upon hearing my mother shout again, a shiver ran down my spine. I couldn't let her get angry, or she'd lock the computer plug with a padlock. "I'm coming!" I got up and ran out of my room, and when I descended the stairs to the first floor, I saw my mother at the door with a delivery person and a huge box beside her.

 

"Can you explain why such a large package arrived in your name?"

 

Upon hearing what mom said, I looked at her for a few seconds, a bit confused, until I remembered that two weeks ago, I spent all my allowance on a small lottery.

 

Yesterday, I was told the delivery would come sometime this week or next, and I didn't mention it to mom because I thought the delivery would be in the afternoon, and by then, she wouldn't be home.

 

Ignoring her angry look, I approached the man and asked with a bit of excitement, "Is this Gryland New World Online's total immersion capsule?"

 

The man nodded in response and said, "Yes, you must be Ren Royal Hunt. I would appreciate it if you could sign these papers to confirm the delivery." I felt a bit embarrassed when he said my full name, but he handed me a pen and some papers indicating that I had received the package. I signed it after reading a bit and making sure everything was correct.

 

I handed him the papers, and the man spoke again "With all this done, would you like us to help you with the installation?"

 

"If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate it."

 

When he heard my words, he stepped away from the door, and I saw him talking to his companion in the delivery truck, but I couldn't pay more attention because suddenly I felt a strong blow to my head.

 

"Ouch!" I looked at my mom and saw that she had her fist clenched. She must have hit me with her knuckles.

 

"Why did you do that?" I held back the tears trying to come out of my eyes.

 

"I should be asking you that. Where did you get the money to buy that capsule? You know we can't afford such big expenses." Seeing that it seemed like she was about to cry, I had to start explaining the situation.

 

"Mom, it's not what you think. I just happened to win a prize in the monthly lottery at the electronics store with the money I saved." As she listened to me, I saw her sigh of relief before wiping away the tear that was starting to come out of her eyes.

 

"Okay, but we'll talk later about why you're spending money in a way different from what you always mention." She said before going to the kitchen, and I saw the man arrive with another delivery person, and they began to lift the box. I started to guide them to my room, and when we arrived, they opened the box, and I could see the capsule.

 

I felt my heart beating faster for every second I saw the capsule.

 

When they finished installing it, they left my room and left the house.

 

I couldn't resist anymore and tried to open the capsule before my mom arrived. Once the capsule recognized me as the owner, no one else but me could use it.

 

How did it open? That was the first thing I wondered when I saw that there were different buttons, and I didn't know which one opened the capsule.

 

Should I read the instruction manual? Does anyone even read those things? I ignored those questions and simply looked at the buttons and pressed the one that was much larger than the others. I saw how the capsule opened, and inside it, there was a helmet.

 

Once I entered the capsule and put on the helmet, I pressed the only button the helmet had, and I saw the capsule close, and everything turned black for a few seconds, and then a cinematic began.

 

The first thing that appeared was a sky with stars and three moons. Then some kind of temple surrounded by pillars could be seen, and inside, six people could be seen. They were positioned on a circle that had a star, and five of them wore robes of different colors. Light blue, intense red, pure white, emerald green, and light violet. In the center of the star was a man with silver hair and blue eyes wearing white and gold armor. Out of nowhere, the circle started to shine until nothing else could be seen, and everything turned dark again.

 

Now the same man could be seen, but this time the atmosphere was different. There were many screams all around, and it seemed like space was tearing apart; horrible creatures started to emerge. The sky began to take on a red hue, and then the man shouted, and all the monsters started to twist in pain before disappearing. But more began to come out of the cracks before different types of weapons appeared, like a spear, a sword, a dagger, and many other majestic-looking weapons. But I couldn't keep watching because everything turned black again, and a panel appeared in front of me.

Welcome to the Gryland world
A world full of beautiful landscapes, wonders, fantastic creatures, and opportunities, but one cannot ignore the danger and mystery surrounding this beautiful world.

When I finished reading, the panel disappeared, and another one appeared in its place that said.

[Enter your name, keep in mind that a filtering process will be carried out. You should know that if the name is inappropriate and if it is also incompatible with the naming styles of the race and the place of appearance, the name you choose may end up being completely different from what you enter or with slight alterations]

There wasn't much to think about, so I just put my real name.

After writing [Ren], the next panel appeared.

Select your race
[Specific] [Random]
[?]

I selected the question mark, and an explanation of what the two options meant appeared.

 

In the specific option, you can choose one of the four most common races and then specify if you want to belong to a branch of that race. A simpler example would be that when choosing a human, there would be the option to choose a human belonging to a tribe of barbarians, a common human, a tribal human, and other types of humans. Although they belong to the same race, their origins and growth are totally different, which makes them acquire different characteristics when using them.

 

And the random option is just that, it's random, with a 95% chance of one of the four common races and a 4.9999 chance of a race that is hard to find, but just because it's rare doesn't mean it's better than the others and they can turn out much weaker with limited potential. The rest of the probability indicates that it is a race on the brink of extinction.

 

I looked at the two options, and for a moment, I was going to choose the specific option, but after thinking about it, that would be boring. Isn't it much more fun to play a game without prior knowledge of the game before starting?

 

Select [Random]

I waited for a few seconds, but nothing happened until it appeared.

[Because your race has no place of providence, you will be transported to a random place]

That's strange. I've never heard of someone getting this message. Well, I don't really know much about the game. But at least I know that YouTube shorts mention that you start in a safe area during the first hours of the game, so I shouldn't worry about that.

 

When I opened my eyes, what awaited me was a beautiful landscape. A plain full of flowers and various types of land beasts. But that beautiful view didn't last too long because before I knew it, I saw how a kind of monstrous gray bull with three horns ran in my direction, and before I could react.

[You died]
[-10% to current stats permanently]

 

7