Chapter Three – Dragon’s Breath Saloon
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryder cast a magelight that followed them through the darkened cobblestone road. Hope pointed her nose to the air and caught a scent that drifted through the wind. "She part dog too?" Raythor asked, Ryder asked, "Is something wrong, Hope?" She brought her nose back down and replied, "Walk, something bad, big, wolf, not normal, hungry." They all paused for a moment before Ryder replied, "Well that's mildly fucking concerning. Let's pick up the pace, we're almost at Greywood now."

Once they reached Greywood, the dim lights of small lanterns lit the few intersections and homes there were. They made their way to the Dragon's breath saloon where several different beasts with saddles on their backs stood at hitching posts. They made their way through the swinging doors and into the, the few people there chattered at their tables and barstools. The room lit with bright lanterns that cast a warm yellow glow through the room.

"Finally, a drink and a meal we don't have to scrounge together for ourselves," Ryder commented. Raythor replied, "Yup, let's get a small table back there." They then made their way to the back and took their seats. Rayhtor and Ryder sat besides Hope as they showed her how to use the menu. "Alright, I know for sure you can read, read some of these out loud, would you? The left half has all the meals we can order, the right has side's and drinks," Ryder explained.

Hope began to read aloud, "Histperch... n' Fries? Histperch covered in seasoned flour and fried alon...gside potato fires and served with a saloon-speacial sauce..." Raythor paused a moment before he said, "Damn, need to get you s'more books if they'll get ya speakin' like that." Shortly after, a woman walked up to the table and asked, "You boy's draggin' a pretty girl like her around now? Lookin a little weeeird..." She joked.

Ryder explained, "Thor here picked her up near the old temples on the shore, I'm just here, as it were." Raythor added, "Yup, was lookin fer some shit to sell and she came stumblin' cross my camp covered in blood and cuts. Fixed er up n' here we are. She ain't great at speakn' and can't remember a lot, but she's gettin' better." The woman replied, "Poor thing, lucky you got picked up by these two n' not some of the fiends we got scattered about." Hope replied, "Mhm, Mountain and Ryder good!"

The woman grabbed a small notebook and pencil from a puch on her side and asked, "That they absolutely are! Now, what y'all lookin' to drink for starters?" Ryder went first, "I'll get a large manaberry brew." They then turned to Hope as she looked through the drink menu for anything. They let her take her time before she answered, "Bubbly Brambleberry Brew!" Raythor laughed before he answered, "Checkered Cherry Ale, please." The woman finished writing and said, "Gatcha gatcha, I'll be right back!" Before walking off.

They all began looking at the menu again for a while as Hope read out her options. Once she read the whole list, Ryder asked, "Now, which one sounds the best to you?" She answered without hesitation, "Smoked Stag Skillet n' Fried shallots?" Raythor added, "Now with them shallot bites, I like me some hot honey sauce." After they settled on their choices, The waitress returned with their drinks and asked, "Y'all ready now?" They agreed and gave their orders before the waitress explained, "Now Hope, if yer drink's empty, just pull this here rope and it'll turn this light on, and me or someone else'll be here right quick!"

"Thank you, Sam," Ryder thanked her before she walked off. Hope looked into her wooden mug as the bubbles rose to the surface. "That there's on of my favorites," Said Raythor. Ryder replied with a chuckle, "Brother, I'm pretty sure the whole menu is your favorite." Raythor laughed and said, "Nahnahnah, I got me some favorite favorites." They all laughed a bit before Hope took her first drink. As she was taking her first sip, her eyes widened before the mug was empty in just a few seconds. Raythor already had the light turned on before the waitress came back with a platter of filled mugs. "She's one o' them, ain't she?" Ryder replied, "Yup, she's a quarter his size and can drink twice as much." Raythor laughed, "Ha! We'll find her limit sooner or later."

Hope grabbed a marked mug from the platter and continued to drink. A few minutes later the waitress returned with their food. Well decorated plates filled with fresh meals as the savory scent filled the air. They all dug in before Ryder asked, "Now Hope, where'd you come from before you stumbled across Thor here?" She swallowed a mouthful of food before she replied, "I woke up in black sand, looked for armor and weapon before heading into big brick building inside of mountain."

"So you made your way through the old Greymor city, practically naked?" Ryder asked. "Mhm!" She replied. Raythor added, "Even I have a hard time fightn' through that place, let alone makin' my way to the shore. She managed to make her way through the whole damn city! Cant say she done it without a scratch though..." Hope added, "Monsters there strong, big rusty swords!"

"Sounds like she took on a few morts," Said Ryder. The trio was interrupted by two people who entered the saloon. Their faces were hidden under a white mask with red markings, covered in black mage's robes. The two people walked straight towards their table. "Looks like we got have some company... great," Ryder said under his breath before lightly stomping his foot on the floor.

The two walked right up to the table and began, "Hello you three, it looks like you've found our friend we've been searching for," Said one with a masculine voice. Raythor turned towards them in his chair and asked, "Have we now? She said she done woke on the shore south o' here. The fuck happen?" The second said with a feminine voice, "We were on a ship miles from the coast before we were under siege and lost her in the skirmish." Ryder questioned them further, "If that's the case, then why'd she wake up naked and unable to remember anything?" Hope looked up at the two with an angered gaze and said, "Don't know them, they're bad." 

The man grew impatient and said, "We do not have the time for this, it is important that we take her back to her family as soon as possible." Raythor gave them an ultimatum, "Ya either tell us yer name, her name, and why ya want er so bad. Or you can fuck off into the woods if yer gonna be like that. She's having a fine time with us." The man sighed and grabbed Hope's shoulder. Ryder stomped his foot again and a blast of electricity burst from beneath their feet. Raythor grabbed the woman's leg after the electricity faded, and slammed her head into the ground.

A fireball shot at them from across the room, Ryder used a ward to dispel the attack before Hope threw a knife, landing it precisely on target, and sent it straight through the attackers mask and head. Another stranger dressed like the other attackers stepped into the saloon before a bystander plunged a dagger into the side of his neck. His body hit the floor and the bystander said, "Ain't take no bullshit like that in this saloon motherfuckers." 

The bystander pointed at Raythor and said, "Uhh, Thor. Ya gotta blade in yer back." Raythor chuckled, "Ha! nice to see you too Sadie." Ryder asked, "So I guess I'll be the one to ask, what the fuck just happened?" Sadie replied while cleaning her blade, "Dunno, they started snoopin' round a couple of days ago. The mystic mage types, wouldn't talk much." Raythor replied, "Well, somehow they knew our friend here, you know em, Hope?" Hope shook her head and replied, "No, don't know."

Ryder and Raythor began to loot the strangers, looking for anything useful and pocketing any valuables in the process. "They don't have shit in terms of info on them, just gold and gems," Said Ryder. Sadie laughed, "Well, when yer done, just toss em out next to the water troughs, priest'll take care of em tomorrow."  The trio did as she asked and went back into the saloon. "Thanks fer takin care o' them fuckers, y'all," Sadie thanked them. "Ain't no problem, with them guards gettin' pulled into Glacion, it's up to us to take care of us.

"G- Glassy- on?" Hope asked, Ryder explained, "Glacion, the imperial city. With the civil war going on to the north, they pulled any guards from the 'low priority' villages, hoping we can take care of ourselves. It's not a bad thing that we can take care of our own, but pulling every last guard just means someone doesn't care, or that things are worse than we realize." Raythor added, "Regardless, I'm still hungry, and we still got grub n' mead to finish."

Sadie laughed and said, "Go on and finnish up! If yer still hungry, I'm here all night... all day too... even the weekends... prolly cause I live here..." Everyone went back to what they were doing, and the trio began eating again. "Didn't think I was gonna be taking on other mages any time soon, that's for sure." Raythor was about to reply before Hope stopped him," Mountain, sit." Raythor chuckled and said, "Whatcha think I was gonna do? Stand the rest of the night?" Hope added, "Mountain hush." 

He chuckled a bit before she pulled back some of his armor and held her hand over his wound, healing it in seconds. "Ya done back there already? That was quick," Raythor asked. They all began eating, drinking, and laughing. Even ordering extra food through the night. Eventually, they realized the sheer amount of alcohol Hope had drank after the waitress commented, "If there were a drinking challenge in this ol' saloon, she'd be the winner! She done drank round fourty-seven whole mugs!" They all looked at her as she wobbled around in her chair. "The fact she ain't passed the fuck out yet's a-" On cue, she leaned back in her chair and fell to the floor, out cold. "Miracle..." 

"Sadie! We got a warrior!" The waitress shouted out. Shortly after, Sadie walked out with a smug smirk, "I was waitn' fer that round her ninth drink. But fourty-seven? Hot damn! If ya need a room, y'all can use room four for the night, free o' charge." Ryder insisted, "We'll take a room, but we have the coin for it. Please." Sadie gave in, "Fiiine, y'all clean up the floor and we'll git the rest, now go on!"

Raythor flopped Hope over his shoulder and made their way to the room while Ryder cleaned up the floor with Sadie. "You know anything else about those mages from earlier?" He asked. "Not much, but we know they came in from the north road, comin' from the mountains most likely." Ryder said under his breath, "From those old temples I'd bet, I wanna know how they knew Hope, and why they wanted her..."

Saide voiced her concern, "I dunno... ya got the drop on them mages this time, but taking a fight to them's a bad idea, Ryder." Ryder replied with a somber tone, "Yeah... yeah, I know. With everything happening after we found her, something's special with her. Hopefully we aren't making a mistake." Sadie comforted him, "Y'all just doin' the right thing. Maybe there is somthin' special bout er, and maybe it ain't a bad thing." They finished up the floor before Ryder thanked her and walked to the room.

Once he entered the room, he sighed as he looked down at Raythor sleeping soundly on the floor while Hope was sprawled out in the bed, covered in blankets. He took the second bed and made himself comfortable, sleeping soundly the rest of the night.

Hope woke in a dreamscape, confused as she stood on the beach she woke on. "Hope?" A voice reverberated from behind her. She turned to see a man sitting at the shoreline. Long hair and braids hung from the left side of his head, while the right side was shaved and lined with tattoos.

"Who... are you?" She asked. "I am Praetor," He replied before he added, "You're far from home, little one. Very far. You don't remember your past, but your true nature remains. With the realms in tatters, my power is drawn thin. So before I go, I must say to you."

                                                           "Seek Peace."

She then bolted awake as the light from outside dimly lit the room, grey skies continued to loom above. Raythor asked, already awake, "You alright there?" Hope paused a moment before she answered, "PEE. NOW." Ryder laughed and said, "Bathroom's in the corner over there ya goof." Hope ran to the bathroom without question.

When she returned shortly after, Raythor and Ryder were sitting up in their beds, gearing up and getting ready to head out. "Hope you guy's are ready for today. Got a bit of a hike ahead of us," Said Ryder. Raythor replied, "Before we head outta the village, let's stop by the ol' blacksmith n' git er somehtin good." Ryder replied, heading for the door, "Sounds good to me, no time to waste." Hope replied, surprising them, "Alright, all ready!" Raythor replied, "Woah, someone's talkative this mornin'"

They then walked out of the saloon and out into the cool morning breeze. They walked down a cobblestone road for a while before reaching abuilding with a plaque with an anvil and hammer carved onto it's surface on both sides. The clanking of metal echoed from the side of the building. Coming around to the side of the shop, a man hammered away at a small piece of metal that resembled a bowl. "Whatcha need?" The man asked with a smile, continuing his hammering of hot metal. "Heya Mjioll. We got some shit from the old city to hand off too ya. That, and this little lady here could use some better gear, not the best blacksmith myself, but I threw together what I could," Raythor explained.

The blacksmith, Mjioll, walked up to hope and looked her up and down, going over ever inch of her armor and said, "It's not too bad, but could definitely be better. For someone who isn't a trained blacksmith, this is quite good. Now, what exactly are you looking for? Got a bunch of armor and blades in the shop if you'd follow me." The group followed Mjioll into the shop, the walls laden with spears, axes, swords and the like. The shelves were filled with arrows and armors of all shapes and sizes. 

"Also, thought I'd let ya know she ain't the best at speakin. She's gettin' better, but still learnin' so give er some slack," Raythor explained. Mjioll nodded and asked her, "Have you ever fought before? If you have, where do you get hit the most?" Hope thought for a second before pointing at her chest and left shoulder, saying, "Here."

Ryder added, "Now before you go pulling your best stock, I'd like to let you know that we have only a reasonable amount of coin and the loot in our bags here." They placed their bags on the table and let Mjioll pick and choose what he'd trade. "Alright, next up is what weapon she's best with, and if she wants a shield or not?" Mjioll added. 

Hope held out her hands, and clenched her fists horizontally, saying, "Spear." Before pointing at a bow behind him, "Good bow." Mjioll grabbed a spear, the bow, and a quiver of arrows she pointed out, then went into a back room for a moment. Sounds of things getting thrown around echoed from the room before he came out with a set of armor. 

Mjioll walked around her again, holding the armor up to her body, feeling her pauldron and shoulder-straps. He then handed her the armor and said, "Alright, this should fit. You can try it on in the room back there." Hope walked to the back and began to try on the armor. A thick leather set of pants and a tunic to match. A set of fingerless leather gloves with black steel plates on the back of the hand. With a plated breast-plate and thick pauldron to match the blackened steel.

She walked out and said, "Armor is good, well made and well fit!" With a smile. "Yer startin' to look more and more like a warrior by the day," Raythor complimented. Mjioll gave them their price, "Alright, base amount was around twelve-hundred coins, with this loot here, your lookin' at about four-hundred, them gems ya got were your savior on this one." Ryder got the coin ready, surprised, "Absolutely, didn't think they were worth that much, but I'm not complaining." 

They all gathered their things, and said their farewells before heading out into the village once again. They made their way west on the old cobblestone road. As they walked, Hope pulled back the string of her bow. Ryder commented, "Ya know, I don't think she's gonna need any practice with that for some reason..." Raythor replied, "Yeah... knowin' her she's probably a dead shot with that thing."

After around an hour, the howling of wolves off in the distance halted them in their tracks, Raythor motioned for Hope to stop, "Wait, get ready. When ya hear the howlin' they already got yer scent." Raythor took the large axe from his hip and readied himself. Ryder held a small flame that hovered in his right hand and a serrated dagger in his left. Hope knocked an arrow and drew the string back to her chest.

They moved slowly to the center of the road before the howling began to pierce their ears. Just beyond the wood-line, the wolves were barely visible as they circled them from within the brush. Suddenly, a wolf leapt from the forest and Raythor brought his axe down with such strength that the wolf was severed in two. 

Several other wolves leapt from the forest from all directions. Hope let her arrow loose, sending it straight through a wolf before Ryder created a wall of fire that not only stopped a wolf, but began scorching it before casting a spell that covered it in a layer of ice and finishing it off with his dagger. Two wolves leapt at Raythor before he decapitated one as the other jumped onto his back. He managed to get the wolf in his grasp, tearing it's lower jaw from it's body and tossing it aside. 

Slowly, a wolf three times the size of the others emerged from the forest. 

0