Chapter 1
207 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*swish*

“98…”

*swish*

The sword swung again.

“Ugh, 999…”

*swish*

The sword swung for the last time.

“1000..! Hah…hah…hah…”

The sound of my hard breathing can be heard throughout the whole training ground.

“Well done, My Lady. To think that you could only swing the sword five times two years ago, your progress is astounding! Now, let us end the training session by running five laps around the training ground.”

“…Yes! “, I answered with bated breath.

 It’s a training routine that I have followed for two years without fail. Ever since that day, my determination to become a knight is only growing stronger. At first, it’s hard, really hard. I can’t even go one lap without feeling like my leg is burning, but now I can consistently go ten laps as a warm up and five laps for cooling down. Likewise, two years ago, I could only do around ten swings of the sword. But as I keep training, the amount of swing I can do keeps increasing.

My family wasn't exactly supportive either. I still remember the ruckus my brother caused when he heard that I wanted to be a knight. My mother, however, was smiling at Father. Not the usual kind smile, but the scary one, while my father just stared at me for what felt like forever. Eventually, though, I still got their permission. That was the beginning.

As I finished up my training, I spotted my Father conversing with my Instructor. Before I can greet him, he tells me something:

“Seraphine, come to my office after you’re done.”

“Yes, Father.”

After saying that, my father walks back to our mansion.

“Good job, My Lady. I can tell your Father is really proud of you.”

“Really..? Do you think he’s proud of me, Instructor Dan?”

“Of course! What do you think we’re talking about just now? He’s asking about how you were doing with your training!”

“Hehe,” I couldn’t help but laugh a little.

My family has a long history of serving in the Royal Guard, with the head of the family typically serving as a personal guard for the royal family. My father also served as a personal guard of the royal family until he retired. It's nice to hear him ask about my training, and it brings a smile to my face.

"You must really like your father, huh, miss?"

“Of course, Instructor! He’s the strongest knight in the Kingdom, the Guardian Duke! Even though he's retired now, I am sure he’s still the strongest!”

“Haha, I am sure he is. Anyway, miss, training is over now. Rest and clean up, wouldn’t want to meet the Duke all sweaty now don’t you?”

“Okay! Thank you for today’s training as always Instructor Dan! “

“Oh right, before I forget.” As he says that, I see him taking something out, an arm bracer. “Happy tenth birthday, My Lady. I’m sorry I was unable to attend the party.” He says with a smile before walking away.

The arm bracer is made of fine leather and embroidered with intricate golden patterns. The edges are adorned with small jewels that sparkle in the light. Despite its ornate decoration, the bracer appears sturdy and functional, with a reinforced metal plate protecting the forearm. The craftsmanship is impeccable, with every detail carefully crafted to perfection. Overall, it exudes a sense of elegance and power, befitting a noble lady who is also a skilled warrior.

“Thank you, sir! I’ll make sure to wear it well!” I shouted while I couldn't control my smile.

It’s my first piece of armor! Granted it’s only an arm bracer, but still! Okay, okay… calm down me! You’re ten years old already! Practically an adult! What will Father say if he sees me like this!? Control yourself, and remember to stay calm in any situation, just like what Father always says!

“Huff, okay! Let’s clean up and prepare now. I don’t want to make Father wait.”

~*~

After making myself a little more presentable, I left my room to head to my father’s office. On my way there, I see a man waiting in the hallway. He wears a high quality white tunic with blue embroidery on the edges of the sleeves and hem. As I walk towards him, his face brightens and he steps closer to greet me.

“Seraphine!”

“Greetings, Brother. What might you-Kyaa!" Before I could finish my sentence, I felt a sudden jolt and found myself lifted off the ground.

“What are you doing acting all mature like that? You’re still a child Ser, don’t be in such a rush to grow up! Right now, you should have fun instead of training all day. You won’t be able to do all that when you’re all grown up. Instead, you’ll be burdened with countless problems, like the academy, or connections, or engagement, or…” As he put me on his shoulder, I heard his once cheery voice go lower and lower until I barely heard him in the end.

“Brother put me down! I’m already ten years old! I’m not a child anymore!” I protested while lightly hitting the top of his head.

“Nonsense! Whether you’re ten years old or a hundred years old, you’ll always be my little sister!” he chuckled, ignoring my protests and continuing to carry me on his shoulder.

This man is my brother, William Ashford, heir apparent of the Ashford family. He is an eighteen year old who has recently graduated from the Academy and has now returned to help our father with his administrative duties. Recently, I've heard talk of his engagement, so he's been quite busy.

“I see that you’re still training, Ser. It’s because of that damn old man making that speech all those years ago that our cute little Seraphine now wants to be a knight.”

“Brother don’t say that! You’ll make me angry!”

“Fine, fine I’ll stop,” He sighed. ”Where are you going anyway, Ser?”

“Father’s office,” I said. “If you’re not going to put me down then take me there,” I muttered under my breath. I actually still like being carried around by my brother like this, but I won’t admit that since I’m not a child anymore!

“Ha-ha, we’re going in the same direction then. Let’s go now.” He said with a chuckle and started walking toward our father’s office.

While he carried me, we talked a bit more about my training and his academic life. Apparently, my brother met his fiancée during his time in the academy. It looks like there’s a bit of a problem so I can’t meet her anytime soon but my brother seems determined to make it work so it’s only a matter of time. I don’t really get it but I hope she’s nice, if not then…. Ahem, anyway we’re almost there so he puts me down and then knocks on the door.

“It’s me and Ser.”

“Come in, “a stoic voice replied from behind the door.

My brother opens the door and we walk inside. There, I see my mother already sitting on the sofa in the middle of the room and my father sitting behind his desk.

“You’re here, Seraphine.”

“Yes, Father.”

“What? No greetings for me you damn old man?" My brother complained softly as he sat down on the sofa opposite of mother, but he was ignored by my father.

“Seraphine, it has been two years since you said you want to be a knight, do you still want to continue to struggle on this path?”

Upon hearing that, I took a deep breath and began answering with a steady voice.

“I do, Father. You’ve shown me what a knight truly is and I aspire to be like that in the future. I know the path of a knight is not an easy one, but I will continue to work hard to prove that I’m up for the challenge.”

“…”

“…”

This uncomfortable silence continues for a few seconds.

“Pfft.”

“Hah….” I heard a muffled laughter from my brother and a deep sigh from my father.

“I told you, Darling, if you just didn’t run your mouth back then our Seraphine will still be the cute girl that will cling to us, I mean she’s still cute but now she’s almost obsessed with being a knight!” my mother expressed her frustration while shaking her head.

“Mother!” How could she say that!? She’s so mean!

“Now now Ser, come here and sit down. Also, I told you before that you don’t have to try to imitate the adults.” My brother chuckled as he beckoned me to sit next to him.

“Also Father, why have I been called? If it’s about my engagement then—“

“No, it’s not that.” Father interrupted,” It’s somewhat connected to the thing that I said to Seraphine before.”

“Hmm… then what is it?”

“Our family has been serving the crown for generations, and I myself served as a knight to the king before retiring. Now, it's your turn. Next month, we will travel to the capital for you to undergo the trial and join the Royal Guard. Usually, candidates for the trial are required to have significant merit, but our family name is guaranteed enough for you to be considered.”

I can feel myself getting excited after hearing what my father says. Even though it’s not directed to me, someday my turn will come and I can’t help but imagine it right now. I wonder what’s on my brother’s mind right now. He’s been trained personally by father, and that makes his skill second only to father. So there should be no problem with passing the test.

“Haah… I can’t believe I have to babysit that stupid Prince for the rest of my life,” my brother said with a sigh as he shook his head.

Hearing that, I can’t help but laugh a little. Even though he says that he’s actually a really good friend of the prince because of their time at the academy. He even visited our mansion from time to time during their vacation, so I have met him. Whenever they got together, the mansion was always lively.

“Congratulations Brother!” I exclaimed.

“This is work Seraphine, it’s not something that I’m exactly happy about,” said my brother with a self-deprecating laugh.

“But that means you will be a real knight soon brother! I thought you would be happy?” I replied with excitement.

“It’s because he won’t be able to meet his lover as much anymore, dear Seraphine,” my mother said with a mischievous grin on her face.

I can see my brother’s body flinching after hearing that.

“Anyway, ready yourself, William. Should you happen to fail the test, I’ll throw you to the deepest layer of our backyard myself.”

“Father, if I fail the test with my capability, wouldn’t that mean that your teaching skill isn't good enough?”

“No, that would mean you’re overconfident, William. I’ve seen many young squires lose their lives because they were too sure of their skills. The test is not just about skill, but also about character and judgment. You must be prepared for anything that may come your way during the trial, and remain humble and focused at all times.”

“Ugh, fine! I’ll be more careful,” he said dejectedly.

“Does that mean Brother won’t be here anymore?” I ask with a slight quiver in my voice and a heavy heart. I only realized it now, but if my brother passed then he would have to leave the house. The thought of my brother leaving the comfort of our home made me feel sad, but I tried to hold it in, not wanting to show my emotions too much.

“Don’t be too sad Ser, I still have a few months before I permanently have to move,” he said reassuringly.

“But…”

“How about this then, during the few months we have, I’ll train and spar with you?”

“Really?!” I brightened up upon hearing that. To spar with brother… I can’t wait!

“Of course! Let me see if you’re up for the challenge,” he said with a grin.

“Brother! Don’t tease me!” I shouted, hiding my embarrassment.

I heard my mother laughing softly and saw my father with a little smile. All of them are just really mean, even though I’m being serious!

“Oh right,” I heard my father,” I forgot to mention.”

“Seraphine, you’re coming with us to the capital next month.”

Huh..?

7