Chapter 6
314 7 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey, Ser.”

“...”

Right now, I’m in my room, trying to read a book. I heard a familiar voice next to me, trying to get my attention.

“Ser,” she whined again.

“...”

I still ignored her.

Hmph, she won’t get out of this so easily!

~*~

There’s a reason why I’m ignoring her. It goes back to our last meeting. She wanted to go to town and play. With no guards. When I told her that was not going to happen, she was surprisingly obedient. She just said okay and then stopped talking about it.

The next day, I searched for her in the morning but couldn’t find her anywhere. This is not surprising since she’s done this countless times. Usually, she’ll be back near noon so like always, I was just waiting for her in her room.

But that day was not like the usual. When the time had already passed noon and she still hadn't come back, I grew anxious. I asked around the servants and found that nobody had seen her. After that, I finally remembered what she said the day before. It looked like she managed to sneak out of the palace without anyone noticing.

I hurriedly informed the guards and immediately began searching in the city. Since the city is big, we split up to cover more ground. I started searching on my own. I thought it would be hard to find her. But to my surprise, she’s the one that found me. 

“Ser! Hey Ser, come here!” She called out my name.

“Princess! How are you here!? Everyone is looking for you! And what are you wearing !?”

She was covered by dirt and wearing slightly dirty clothes. The clothes are not hers, because even though she never asked for beautiful clothes, the Queen always bought her expensive dresses. What she’s wearing right now is the kind that is worn by a slightly wealthy merchant.

“Hehe, sorry about that,” she looked apologetic, ”but now, can you follow me? I promise I will come home after this.”

“Hah…. fine, where are we going this time?” I relented. She might be a little hard to handle but whenever she says she promised, she always kept them.

“Great! Now, come with me!” she grabbed my hand and started dragging me, a common occurrence over the course of 3 years.

“You see! After I manage to sneak out, I wander around the city looking for interesting things,” she said, “That’s when a couple of men approached me and offered me some candy!”

What?

“So I followed them!” She continued.

WHAT?

“Princess, why!?” I shouted.

“Well, the candy is sweet! Anyway, they bring me to a building and tell me to get in a room. To my surprise, they locked me up!”

I can feel my head hurting, trying to comprehend what she was saying.

“It took me quite some time to be able to get out but I managed to open the door. So I decided to explore the building.” she blurted.

At this point, I decided to give up understanding.

“There, I found a lot of other people locked up just like me! Oh, we’re nearly there,” she said.”That’s when I decided to get out and finally find you!”

So, to sum it up, she sneaked out of the palace, wandered around, got kidnapped, and then escaped.

“We’re here!” she cried out.

Ugh, I'll deal with it later, for now…

“Princess, wait,” I stopped her, grabbed a flare, and then fired it into the sky. Soon, a couple of knights appeared and I began briefing them.

“Princess Trinity was kidnapped by a suspected human trafficking group. This is their base, please deal with it. I will take her back.”

“Yes, thank you for your hard work.” The knights and I shared a knowing look. Everyone here has gotten used to the Princess's antics.

“Now, Princess, let’s go back.”

When I reported what happened to the Queen, she was furious. She immediately started giving orders to investigate everything. I heard two noble houses were ruined because of this. Apparently, both of those houses were trying to conspire something against the Empire. Queen Laura didn't tell me more about it though, she says it's her responsibility to keep the Empire clean.

I finally understand what Mother said all those years ago.

Princess Trinity also didn’t escape her punishment. She was forced to learn the royal etiquette. She was supposed to learn this a year ago but Princess Trinity managed to somehow delay it. Unfortunately, she won’t be able to do it again this time.

~*~

“Ser…” she calls me again.

I tried to ignore her again but this time she used her weapon. She lay her head on my lap and started rubbing her cheeks to me. I couldn’t resist and started to gently stroke her head.

“Hah… What is it, Princess?” I said while looking at her.

“What are you reading?” she smiled at me, seemingly content with the way I stroked her head.

“The title is ‘What to do if you find yourself alone in the woods’” I told her what the book title is.

“Oh? Did you finally block your father?” She questioned me.

“Yes, that’s why I told you I can't come to the palace that day. I should’ve been in our backyard by now.” I said, a bit aggrieved.

“Hey, I told you I'm sorry…” she said with a regretful look. “How about this, when you pass the test, I’ll show you something cool.”

“What is it?”

“Hehe, I told you I’ll show you later.” She grinned at me.

“Fine, for now, what do you want to do, Princess?”

“Mmmnn, nothing. Just stay like this and keep stroking my hair.” as she says that, she closes her eyes.

Right now, it’s just the two of us in my room. With me reading my book and Princess Trinity laying on my lap with her eyes closed. I couldn’t concentrate and put down my book. I let my mind wander.

She hasn’t changed at all from three years ago, still carefree and wild.

I can’t say the same about me though. My brother got married two years ago and he now lives in the capital. He is now a Royal Guard, an exclusive knight for protecting the Crown Prince Alexander. That means I couldn't act spoiled to him anymore.

Why did I try so hard to act mature at that time? Now that my brother left the house, I realize I have some regrets.

Still, it’s not all bad. Right now, I have Princess Trinity with me. But due to her personality, it’s me who has to take care of her. I wouldn’t say I hate it but it does get pretty tiring. Every time I meet with her, she always gets caught in some weird incident. Weirdly, I never did dislike her. I feel like even though brother is not here anymore, I gained a younger sister instead.

As for my training, last month...

~*~

Clank

Ugh, as expected, brute forcing my way through won't work.

I backed away, ready for the next strike. But before I can launch an attack, I see a sword hanging above my head going downwards fast. I halted and positioned my sword diagonally, trying to redirect the attack.

Clank

Our sword clashed and Father's sword slid down to the ground.

A chance!

I rotated my sword and slashed my father's right side. It didn’t reach. My father backstepped his way out of my range. But I won’t let this chance go. I pressed forward, continuing my attack fluidly. Still, everything is dodged. No matter how much I try to combo my attack, Father always has an answer.

Finally, Father corrected his posture, and his hand was steady. I’ve wasted my chance.

It’s still…not enough…

I know what’s coming next. The same strike that has always ended our training. Over the years, I’ve only managed to touch Father’s sword when he’s doing this attack, never able to block it.

I failed again, I thought.

No… this time, for sure!

My father swung his sword, and the all too familiar feeling of defeat engulfed me. Still, concentrated. I observe everything that I can and try to find the best move.

This time, something strange is happening. Everything moved so slowly. I didn’t linger on that thought. If everything is slow that means more time for me to observe and predict what kind of attack it will be. Time seemed to stop, and finally, it came.

A stab!

I realized it was a stab moments before the attack began. My head is clear.

I grabbed the blade of my sword with my left hand and moved my right hand up and around my head in an attempt to change the attack trajectory.

Clank! Swishh-

Our swords clashed once again. But this time, I felt a sudden surge of strength from my body. With this strength, I was able to push father’s sword outside. I saw a surprised expression from Father. Taking advantage of this, I stepped inside his range while spinning my body to gain momentum, and then-

Whoosh

My sword stopped just before father’s chest.

It was stopped again… I tried everything, but I still can’t do it. I know I shouldn't but I felt like I was going to cry so I kept my head down.

“Seraphine,” father called me.

Father, please just this once, can you please not say anything? I don’t think I can hold my tears if you say something right now.

When I thought that, I felt my body being embraced.

“Well done, you did it.” father whispered gently.

“Huh?” startled, I hurriedly looked at my father.

What I see is father with a smile on his face, gently hugging me.

“You passed my test,” he told me.

I…did? I did it. I passed the test!

I wanted to shout with joy, but right now, I figured another way to celebrate.

I slowly wrapped my hand around my father, hugging him back, and began crying.

Right there on that training ground, there’s only a father assuring her daughter that she did a good job and that he’s proud of her.

“Seraphine, you will enter our backyard in a month. During this time, do some preparation.”

“Eh? But next month I have to go to the palace.”

“I will inform the royal family that you won’t be able to go there next month.”

Right now, I’m inside father’s office with father and mother.

“Oh my, Princess Trinity will surely be upset,” mother chuckled.”How is she doing, dear Ser?”

“Well, I’m sure she’s studying etiquette diligently right now.” Mother and I both laughed.

“Hahh, how did she even get herself kidnapped like that.” Mother wondered.

“Just like every other incident with Princess Trinity, it just happened,” I stated.

All three of us have the same face right now. Amazed by the princess's antics.

“Anyway, Seraphine. Prepare yourself well.”

“Yes, father!”

One month passed and finally, it was time.

Well, it was supposed to be, if not for the unexpected guest that shows up unannounced.

“Ser! Since you said you can’t come, this time I will go to your house!” Princess Trinity exclaimed with a wide smile on her face.

~*~

So now, my test will be delayed for a week, while both of our families verify what’s happening.

Just because of this one girl, sleeping on my lap.

That’s why I tried to ignore her to show her that I was upset, but I could never win against her.

“Princess, it’s late, you will get sick if you sleep here.”

“Mnngh… carry me…” she said lazily.

I sighed.

I lifted her up with a princess carry and moved her to my bed. After I gently laid her down and tucked her inside the blanket, I lay down next to her. I took a peek to my left and saw her blissful face, seemingly without a care in the world.

8