91. Interactions
173 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ranko was sitting at the bar, flipping through one of the textbooks Yui had brought her, when Mei walked in. “Hey, Mei! Mornin’.” She rubbed her eyes, yawning. She hadn’t been sleeping much already, and ever since this thing with Akane and Kuno, she’d been racking her brain non-stop.

Mei smiled, giving Ranko a squeeze about the shoulders from behind. “Morning, sis. Any word from Akane?”

Ranko shook her head, tossing her book to the bar and holding her head in her hands. “Mei, I gotta fix this, somehow. I promised her.”

Her sister nodded. “You will. I believe in you. You’re a tough cookie, and so is she.” 

Ranko looked down, her voice empty. “I’m scared, Mei.” 

The older girl sighed. “I know, honey. But you’ll find a way. You and Akane love each other, so it’s only a matter of time before everything else works out.”

“I wish I could believe that,” Ranko said. “I promised her I’d find a way, but what if I can’t?”

“Then you keep trying.” Mei smiled, trying to give at least the appearance of confidence. She had no idea how anyone tolerated arranged marriages anymore, but she hoped there was enough give in Akane’s father to at least try and consider his daughter’s happiness.

Mei looked over at the book her sister had tossed on the counter, hoping to change the subject. “Whatcha readin’?”

The younger girl smiled weakly. “Health studies. I swear, Yui’s gonna wear me out with all this damn homework. I feel like I haven’t slept in a month.”

“It’s paying off, though, isn’t it? Your last practice test, you went up in English and science, right?”

Ranko sighed. “Yeah. I guess. It’s a deck chair off the Titanic, though. It’s still gonna take forever, and that’s if it doesn’t kill me first.” She motioned to the book that lay on the counter. “I’m going through a chapter on drugs and stuff.” 

Mei cringed. That was not her favorite thing to talk about. “I’m sorry.”

The songstress shrugged. “I gotta do it, I guess. It got me wondering, actually. When I was in the hospital, after the thing at the carnival, do you remember what the name of the medicine they gave me was? Some of this stuff sounds scary as hell.”

“Vicodin, I think. And yeah, it’s serious stuff. But they gave it to you in a hospital, and they were watching you, so you don’t have anything to worry about. Besides, you know I wouldn’t let anything bad happen to you like that, and I know what I’m looking for.”

Ranko smiled. “Well, that’s a relief, at least. Thanks, Mei.” She stood up, checking the time on the clock behind the bar. “Aw crap, I gotta get to practice! I’m gonna be late!”

As Ranko snatched up her purse and darted out the door, Mei called after her. “Hey! Aren’t you gonna clean up your…” She sighed, picking up the pile of books and Ranko’s empty soda glass. “I guess not.”

13