26. Two Homes
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 26

Earth

2027

 

Rory sat across a table from General Price and some hotshot computer analyst whose name she could not remember. There were too many people in her life to keep them all straight. Beside her, Theo stared at the screen on the wall which showed the image of a man that neither of them recognized.

"Did you really think it was wise?" General Price asked.

Her heart hardened against the accusing tone. "I can't disappear entirely for weeks on end. People get suspicious and when people get suspicious about the alien, panic ensues."

"Yeah, I'm not talking about you streaming a game. I gave the approval for that because I trusted you to handle it well. I'm talking about what you said that forced me to cut you off midstream."

"It was a mistake," Theo said. "You should have trusted her. Now there's more speculation."

The general's eyes narrowed. He lifted his phone and played the video. Rory sat back and sighed.

"I'm the one who said it. I don't need to see it," she said.

"Maybe you do. Maybe you need to watch yourself."

"Insulting," Theo muttered. "General–"

"I'm serious. Both of you watch this and tell me if you really think it was the best thing you could do."

Rory didn't want to watch because the doubt hadn't stopped haunting her since she'd done it. All she'd wanted was to get the Replica to reach out to her, but it hadn't even worked.

On the screen, she saw herself chuckling at something her friend Stella said.

"It's not the first time I've gone off the grid and it won't be the last." Rory leaned back in her chair. "You guys have to stop panicking when it happens. I live a weird life."

"You're the canary in the mine, Rory." Oliver's lips twisted as he made a face of concentration. "We're all going to watch you and panic forever."

"I got sick and then I couldn't stop painting. I was in the zone. Got people to reach out to me though."

"So it's all for attention." Stella smiled.

"Someone I hadn't heard from in years reached out, actually. It was good to catch up. If you're watching," Rory glanced at the screen. "You know who you are. Give me a call tonight–"

The screen went blank.

"What if she had hopped on your live stream right then?" Price asked.

"I wouldn't have had to do it online in front of everyone if you had given me any kind of access to technology. I can't even text."

"You shouldn't reach out to her at all. Not without a strategic plan approved–"

Rory raised her brows. "Approved by the US government? The UN? For ten years I've played by your rules. There's too much on the line now for me to sit back."

"You can't go rogue, Rory. That won't be good for you." Though the words sounded like a threat, it was worry that she detected in the general's voice.

"Vehru is coming. She sent me here for a reason. We won't beat her by playing it safe. I need to talk to her or her replica. I need to see if that will spark memories for me or if they'll give me any information."

"We know contact is dangerous," Theo said. "It's also dangerous to have silence."

"You should have gone through me," Price said.

"See, that's not the partnership we have." Rory shrugged. "Sometimes you need me to do things that you can't know about. Let this go, General. You say it won't be good for me if I go rogue? It won't be good for the U.S. to lose my cooperation."

The threat came through clearly in her voice even if it hadn't in General Price's, only she hadn't meant for it to sound as harsh as it had. Or had she? As much as she wanted to remain allies with the U.S., at a certain point the cost would be too high. Rory had two worlds, two homes, two families to fight for. What the US considered to be in their best interest wasn't always in the best interest of those Rory loved.

And as a woman alienated from her planet, her world was the people she loved. If she didn't protect her world, who would?

The general's sharp stare turned to Theo. "You're contracted by the United–"

"I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't have to be." Theo did not waver or hesitate. "You need to let Rory stream again and smooth over you cutting her off. You're the one who caused a problem."

Theo often did not speak so bluntly. Rory nearly raised a brow.

"We'll table this," Price said sharply. "For now. Let's get rid of our phones and then Dr. Antoin can present her information."

Ah, Dr. Antoin. She repeated in her mind several times to help her remember. The woman's long black hair was pulled into a tight bun that looked like it hurt. Once they'd removed their devices from the room, she began. "We've found evidence of the Replica."

"You're letting me hear this?" Rory asked. They'd hidden things from her ever since the chilling phone conversation.

"Strategic dissemination of information." The general leaned forward. "If the Replica learns about this conversation and acts on it, then we know that any information you have is not secure. Of course, she'll know about what I just shared with you as well and know what test we're running. She may pretend that she does not know. She may acknowledge it." General Price flattened his hands on the table. "But we want her to know we see her." He jabbed his finger down against the table and raised his voice. "We want Vehru to know we found that son of a bitch she left lurking around Earth and we'll find her again."

Well, then. Rory resisted the urge to clap in approval for his spirited display. "Well said, General." It wasn't often that he became so animated.

"Show them." General Price sat back again.

Dr. Antoin nodded. "This is a picture of John Travis, the Information Assurance Officer who was in charge of internet security at one of our bases. The server housed here was secure and local. The only way to gain access would be to physically connect to it. We did not find evidence of the Replica's infiltration. We haven't found that anywhere in the world to date. But we did find this recording. All communications at the base are recorded and stored on the local server. What you're about to see took place over a virtual video meeting while Mr. Travis was away from the base on business."

She tapped her mouse and the video began to play.

John Travis spoke on the screen, his eyes to the side with the sound of the keyboard clicking in the background, like he was multitasking. "This is for a critical systems security upgrade to protect against the evolving and sophisticated hacks by foreign powers."

"This needs to be done immediately." John Travis's eyes snapped to the camera. "And make sure you don't do a damn thing without hearing it personally from me. Alright? You see my face and you hear my voice or you don't do a thing."

"Yes, sir." The voice belonged to someone they couldn't see.

Dr. Antoin paused the recording. "John Travis told us in no uncertain terms yesterday that he did not ever issue that order. Thanks to his detailed diary, he was able to tell us what he was doing at the time of this recording–reviewing the files of applicants for a position that had been posted. He said he would without doubt have recorded a critical systems update." She looked at General Price. "Mr. Travis maintains a paper diary and there is no mention of this update in the diary."

"That's her," Theo whispered. "There's no telling how many unwitting agents she's used to gain access to our most secure servers."

Rory studied the still image of John Travis. "We need to protect the public from her. Who knows what else she's done."

"Does this seem familiar to you?" The general asked Rory.

Her eyes slid closed. "I don't know. My mind is stuck in a fog. I don't feel like I know anything about a replica of Vehru, but an AI is another matter. I'm sure that there's an AI monitoring my home world as well and exerting control over the governments and people. I just don't know what are my own thoughts and what are memories."

"I agree with the view that an AI must be active on your planet." Dr. Antoin folded her hands in front of her. "We don't know how long the Replica has been here. We are operating under the assumption that she's had decades to spread herself across the globe. Now that we know she's here, we need to figure out a way to create secure networks that she can't get into. At the very least, we need to be able to detect any of her attacks or attempts to hack."

Theo breathed out a sigh. "Are we thinking quantum computing and communications still?"

"It's our best theory considering that if it's an unknown technology we may not be able to guess at its nature."

"I don't know if any of this can spark your memory," General Price said. "I hope it does. This is end of days level terrifying. We need information and we need it fast."

End of days. Rory felt that. Problem was it had been happening so slowly over a decade that she'd grown accustomed to the dread and could no longer feel fear the way she should. That had its uses. But it was unsettling.

"Is she cleared to know about what I've been working on?" Rory asked.

"Dr. Antoin has already been briefed."

"I know you want to know how to produce the device I made and use it. I've decided that I'll share everything I know about it and help with training however I can. But I have conditions."

The general pulled his notepad closer to write.

"This has to be shared with every country that's a part of the United Nations. Every country receives equal amounts of training from me or from anyone who is trained by me."

"Fine. I'm sure this can be agreed upon."

"It cannot be used against civilians, ever." She hardened her voice. "Earth civilians or civilians from my world. I don't know who is coming here, but these are not going to be used to hurt innocent people."

The general watched her. "I understand. I wouldn't let that happen."

"Oh, but these things have a way of happening. That's why you look so nervous right now."

He didn't deny it.

"Finally, I get something in return. I want access to this device, anything else I make, and I need you to agree to compromises on my communications plan."

At this, Rory had taken it too far, because the man began to complain.

"It's non-negotiable. I won't be a prisoner. I'm an ally. I'll be treated as one. If this cannot be agreed upon, then have fun trying to master the device by yourself. I'm sure you'll get it eventually without too much damage in the way of life and property."

The general grumbled as he wrote. Surely he knew that Rory was not going to freely hand over this advanced technology and train them on how to do it without asking for something reasonable in return. Since Rory had requested materials and did not have the luxury of working in secret, they would figure out how to replicate what she had done relatively quickly. But would they dare to operate alien technology without her help when she honestly asked for so little?

They'd agree to her conditions.

Problem was Rory did not trust the government. Why would she? So what Rory and Theo would not tell General Price, or anyone else for that matter, was that they'd built a failsafe into the technology. It had to remain secret or the military would attempt to figure out how to prevent it.

Another problem troubled her, though. If the Replica could read her thoughts, then she would know what they'd done. They attempted to counter this by Theo hiding the information from Rory. He would be the only one who could activate the failsafe. But would it be that difficult for the Replica to figure it out for herself? And would equipping soldiers all over the world with a device that the enemy could potentially disable all at once be more disastrous than never giving Earth the technology in the first place?

Rory wanted to beat her head against the table as the worries rapidly fired through her mind.

The militaries of the world had to know they could not overly rely on this technology. In truth, even if the Replica didn't know that Rory had Theo build in a failsafe, she likely knew a way to disable them anyway.

Could she also use the device to hurt the people utilizing them?

Nausea swelled in Rory's gut. Why hadn't she considered that before? It wasn't too late to refuse to teach the UN how to create these. Or at the very least, share these concerns.

"Rory." Theo kneaded his fingers into the back of her neck. "Breathe."

She realized her hands were trembling. "This might be the stupidest thing I've ever done." It didn't matter that the general could hear her. If he wasn't also afraid of what this technology could be used for then he was a fool. And she did not know him to be a fool.

"We won't beat Vehru by not taking chances." Theo kissed her temple and whispered into her ear. "You said that. Listen to your own voice."


The U.N. had managed to come to an agreement with Rory and set up a day for her to demonstrate the technology. Several representatives flew to the U.S. and joined President Saito, two senators, and several generals in Rory's lab.

How strange to have so many important people gathered here. She glanced around the dusty room. Everyone had agreed, though, that the technology should not be transported elsewhere, yet.

"Thank you for coming," Rory said. All gathered here had high enough security clearance to know everything Rory knew. So she needed to give little introduction or information.

Of the seventeen in the room, not one of them looked the way a powerful world leader should look. The child came out in a person when they were overwhelmed and afraid. As well as each of them tried to hide it, Rory saw the ordinary person beneath their stoic expressions. The fear in their eyes. The day they'd long dreaded for the last ten years was approaching and now they knew that Rory's people, not just Vehru, possessed technology far superior to that of Earth's.

It chilled Rory to the core, especially as she'd practiced using the device over the past few days.

She found that though few memories of it had returned to her, she did remember how to use it. Her body knew something her mind did not. It was a surreal feeling that had become so normal to her.

"I'm re-discovering what I believe are many uses for this device," Rory said. "But there is one you need to see in person."

Rory lifted her palm and formed the small ball of energy. Breathing in deeply, she pointed it at a target she'd placed far away from the people, and, using her muscle memory, shot it directly at the center. It exploded on impact, scattering bits of plastic into the air.

Silence met her. The world leaders and generals gathered together stared at the pulverized target.

"What does it take for fuel?"

Rory turned, uncertain of who spoke until one of the generals raised his hand slightly.

"How efficient is it?" he asked.

"You'll need these." Rory withdrew the travel extractor from one pocket and a converter from the other. "The fuel can be mass produced, but it can also be created on the go with microscopic particles from the soil."

"From the soil?" the general asked with incredulity.

"We extract and convert copper, cerium, and graphite into a two part fuel. It's very cheap and efficient."

It took little imagination for Rory to think of how they must have felt, seeing the power of this technology and learning about the fuel source. This device along with the feasibility of mass-producing it far exceeded Earth's current capabilities. Her people may not have been as advanced at Vehru's people, but they were beyond Earth.

"Don't feel hopeless," Rory said. "You'll have this technology now to help your planet. If the world can work together, there's no telling what you can do."

"Why are you helping us when your people are coming here to fight us?" A different voice. A senator this time. "If your husband from your home planet is a soldier, we could end up using this technology to harm him."

This concern had kept her up at night, but she knew without doubt what she needed to do. "Theo would not want me to abandon an entire planet to be conquered in order to save him. I may not remember my past, but I know who I am. I've always known. Of this, I'm certain–whoever I loved on my home planet must have the kind of character Theo has or I would not have been with them. I refuse to believe that I have to choose between my family and an entire world. I will find a way to fight for both."

Her husband's jaw clenched as he nodded at her.

Pain lodged in her chest. "Vehru abandoned me on this planet without so much as a single memory to call my own. I don't know if I left willingly or if I even knew what was happening. But I do know that she's the reason I cannot contact my first husband and my son. If you cannot believe I want to fight for a planet's freedom, then believe that I want to fight for my family. Because I damn well do." Rory raised her voice. "I will never surrender. So decide now if you can fight with me or not. I don't have time for the distractions and neither do you. We set our sights on the goal now and forget all else. Or we're dead."

President Saito lifted her chin, studying Rory intently now.

She gasped in a breath, acutely aware of the shock on Theo's face. It wasn't unusual for Rory to feel confident in her positions. But since when could she look the leaders of the world in the eye and speak as if commanding them?

Rory had said she knew who she was. Maybe that wasn't entirely true. Maybe she had forgotten and all these years she'd only scratched the surface of what she could do.

"Are you with me or not?" Rory leveled her stare directly at President Saito though she spoke to them all.

The president opened her mouth to speak when a gust of hot air washed over them. The force of it knocked Rory back a step and pushed several people against the wall. A loud snap sounded and then the haze of heat began to die.

Right there in the center of the room where all could see, a form shimmered ever so slightly, her boots hanging several inches above the ground, and her golden eyes drilling into Rory's. Commander Vehru hovered before her.

A smirk twisted her lips.

"That was one hell of a speech." Vehru breathed in deeply, nodding in admiration. "You never disappoint."

0