Chapter 17
56 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As we wandered through the haven of open markets, I saw quite a large number of students holding large bags of clothing, accessories, tech and other random tidbits from the stores. They carried what looked almost like designer bags, with befitting simplistic modern styles and bold packaging.

Fern nudged my arm.

“Hey, I need to go to the bathroom.”

“Alright.”

Waiting outside the public bathroom, Erika and I were alone for the first time.

She was smiling, as always, leaning up against the display window of one of the clothing brands. The number of people in the centre had been steadily increasing, probably because it was getting a little later and we were here since very early in the morning.

I didn’t really know what to say to her. It felt more awkward than when I used to talk to Sumire, probably due to the fact that Erika had more common sense and awareness (around me at least).

“Um, so what things do you like doing?”

She laughed a little.

“What’s with that question? We’re not strangers, you know~?”

Ah. What was I meant to say.

She leaned down a little and looked up at me. From this angle, her eyes really seemed big. They were bright and hypnotic.

“Akira, do you think Fern’s hiding something from me?”

Oh.

“What do you mean.”

Her expression darkened a little. Stretching her arms up, she sighed before pulling some of the hair out of her face.

“He’s been acting weird around me.”

“Has he?”

“There’s definitely something going on. You wouldn’t happen to know, would you?”

“I wouldn’t know.”

She looked at me with suspicion.

“Are you sure? He doesn’t seem to trust me as much as he used to, but he always tells people when he has something on his mind. It just seems that you’d be someone he’d tell.”

“I seem like someone he’d tell?”

“Yeah, he likes to share secrets with people who seem quiet. That’s probably why he’s stopped sharing them with me.”

That may not be the only reason.

“Did you used to be quiet?”

“Mhm. I just thought that a more open and upbeat personality was better. I always hated how people used to treat me back then.”

“But being quiet comes with its benefits too, like you said.”

She smiled again.

“It does, but people will always like you more if you’re confident and talkative… Aha, not to say that people won’t like you if you’re not. It’s just… society, you know? That wasn’t an attack on your personality.”

“Don’t worry, I’m not offended by that. Still, you seem to care a lot about Fern.”

“Of course I would. He’s my bf—best friend.”

“That could definitely be taken the wrong way.”

Also, best friend? Just from observing Fern for the last few days, it seems that these two’s views on their relationship were a little different.

“Akira, answer me honestly, do you know anything.”

“I really don’t. Why don’t you speak to himself yourself about this?”

She furrowed her eyebrows.

“If he’s hiding something from me, he wouldn’t just tell me.”

“I’m not so sure about that. He might be more willing to talk to you than you think.”

“What do you—”

Fern walked back over.

“Thanks for waiting guys. What are we going to do now?”

He was glancing at me.

Can you guys stop looking at me with suspicion all the time?

We continued to walk around the mall.

Fern leaned toward me.

“You didn’t say anything to Erika, did you?”

“I didn’t.”

“Thanks. I’m glad I can trust you.”

“You really should tell her about it though. She’s worried about you as is.”

His voice strained.

“No. I don’t want to worry her. I always drag her into my problem an—”

“But that’s not the real reason, is it.”

“What? No, that is the real reason. What are you talking about?”

Erika was looking through the collection of dresses inside this specifically feminine store. Fern didn’t seem to find it awkward but I definitely felt a little weird standing in this department. At least it wouldn’t look suspicious if she found us talking to each other.

He looked away.

“I know that’s not the real reason. So just tell her. You’re important to her.”

He stuttered a little.

“I-it is the real reason.”

Sigh.

“So you’re telling me that you’d never date her, ever.”

There was a moment of silence, as expected.

“N-no… I’m not saying that… but you know, there’s stages… and stuff.”

“Don’t worry, she won’t think less of you if you tell her.”

“But I always ask her for help with things. She’ll think that I’m useless.”

“She won’t. She genuinely cares for you.”

“Really?”

It was true.

His face was blushing and his body was twitching a little.

Don’t get too excited now.

I looked down at him.

“But one more tip for you, it’s going to be quite a struggle if you want to date her.”

“Why?”

“Uh, because friend zone.”

He looked as if his soul had left his body. Maybe I should’ve waited before telling him that, it was probably going to be hard to continue the conversation at this rate and I was going to be looking very suspect inside this women’s store.

I began to make my way outside and Fern lethargically followed behind.

I didn’t expect him to take it this badly.

A few moments later, Erika returned to us.

She clearly noticed Fern’s ‘condition’.

“Hey Fern, are you alright?”

“Yeah…”

She quickly turned to me.

“Did something happen?”

“Not really, but he’s not in that good of a mood right now.”

“Ah, let’s go get some food then, that’ll cheer him up~!”

Skipping ahead, she led the two of us toward the elevator. While there were a few high-end restaurants here, it seemed that Erika wanted to go down to the dedicated food floors.

 

POINTS

Your current points: 94,926

Current Rank: #58,919

 

I guess I could grab something to eat.

I wonder if Sumire was finished with what she was doing.

 

READ AHEAD for free on ROYAL ROAD. Ratings and reviews there help push the book out to more people! 

It's also better formatted over there~

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/79986/academy-of-grinding-an-idle-clicker-litrpg

3