19: Good Doctor
44 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With Maya's flames and Sophia's radiant strikes, the two swiftly cut through the remaining creatures. The cavern echoed with the sounds of battle, the crackle of fire, and the hiss of disintegrating foes until only a few of the root creatures remained.

The Shapestealer was the one to deliver the final blow. She used a fiery sword to burn away the last of the root-infested creatures. As the last ember faded, Maya stepped away from the scene and returned to her human form. She stood for a moment to examine the burning carnage around her, Her nose twitched slightly as the air was heavy with the scent of charred remains.

Sophia walked next to Maya and lowered to her side. "Hope there aren't more of them."

"I wonder where they came from." Maya said.

The Paladin turned around and began to walk deeper into the cavern. "We'll find out sooner or later, anyway, let's go."

But Maya raised her hand. "Hold on, I want to check something first."

"Hmm, what is it?"

"Need to check the requirement or penalty for transforming into that bat-monster again while we have time."

"Right, let's see it then." Sophia said.

Maya nodded and checked her [Transformation list].

Tier 1: Wind Elemental (requirement: transform mid-air; Subsumed Spell: Gust)

Tier 2: Blaze Knight (requirement: bleed; subsumed spell: Flame Sword)

Tier 3: Nightbringer (requirement: kill a humanoid creature or a large monster; subsume spell available)

Sophia eyed the notifications. "Doesn't seem to show if you can transform or not."

Maya placed a hand on her chin. "It used to, but it was a long while back. Let me try a few things."

The Shapestealer tried to figure out which commands would work. She first tried saying "requirement check" and then "transformation requirements". But luckily, she struck gold on the third try when she said [Transformation Check], cousin more notifications to manifest in front of her.

Tier 1: Wind Elemental (transformation unavailable)

Tier 2: Blaze Knight (transformation unavailable)

Tier 3: Nightbringer (transformation available)

"Hold on, you just transformed into the Blaze Knight before right?" Sophia asked.

"I did, but I'm guessing it says I can't transform into it now because I'm not bleeding anywhere: or not bleeding enough." Maya said.

"Gotcha."

"And it looks like killing those root-creatures helped with my requirement."

"So, does that mean we're good to go?"

"Yep, I'm good."

***

Maya and Sophia continued their journey through the cavern, which became increasingly enveloped in the eerie glow of the roots. As they delved deeper, occasional root creatures shambled towards them. But the two managed to dispatch each of the attacking creatures with minimal effort.

Their exploration soon led them to a wooden door that seemed out of place compared to the rest of the cavern. Maya exchanged a glance with Sophia. With a nod from the Paladin, she reached out and turned the doorknob.

The door slid open and Maya stepped inside. Sophia followed closely behind. The two entered a small room that was covered in roots. Despite this, the place had an oddly homely atmosphere, with wooden chairs and tables arranged as if it were a living room.

However, Maya's eyes widened in alarm as she saw a man with the head of an elk who sat on a rocking chair. His torso was unmistakably human, but his arms and legs had been replaced with roots that mimicked the form of limbs. He rocked back and forth gently as his right hand clutched at a bloodied bonesaw.

Maya instinctively drew her dagger, her body tensing as she prepared for any sudden movements from the elk-man. Yet, the man continued to rock gently with not a care in the world. He somehow seemed undisturbed by the newcomers.

Maya cautiously advanced deeper into the room. Sophia followed, but her armored boots betrayed her presence with loud creaking noises against the wooden floor. Despite the obviously loud noise, the elk-man remained undisturbed and continued his gentle rocking motion.

It wasn't until Maya attempted to catch his attention with a wave of her hand and a tentative "Hello?" that he showed any sign of awareness.

The elk-man suddenly jolted forward, his gaze snapping to both Maya and Sophia. "Aaaah, guests."

Sophia immediately drew her sword. "Who are you?"

In response, the elk-man extended his root-like hand towards himself in a gesture of introduction, coupled with a slight bow. "I'm a Doctor who was tasked to be the floor guardian for this part of the Tower."

Maya pressed for more. "Give us a name."

The elk-man shook his head. "Apologies, I only recognize myself as the Doctor."

Maya took a few steps to the left, ensuring she maintained a clear view of the Doctor. "Why aren't you attacking us?"

The Doctor responded with a raspy chuckle. "Such is my purported task, but I am not a fan of doing something in futility,"

Sophia lowered her sword slightly. "What do you mean?"

The Doctor released his hold on the bloodied bonesaw, allowing it to clatter onto the ground. "I stand no chance against a Scion of Munin."

"Is this about me?" Maya asked.

"Of course. Who else would I be referring to?" the Doctor said.

"Cut the crap. Is this some kind of trick? What are you up to?"

"Oh, sweet child. You're just in denial of your purpose. But deep down, I believe even you know the truth."

"This isn't the first time I've heard this nonsense."

"Say what you want. Reality will come to you regardless."

"Whatever. Are you really just going to sit there? If you're really the Floor Guardian, aren't you supposed to fight me and Sophia over here?"

"Like I said, that is what I'm supposed to do. But I know who you are, and I know that I don't stand a chance."

"So what, you're just gonna let me kill you?"

"If that's what you wish."

Sophia moved closer to Maya. "I don't trust him."

Maya nodded. "Neither do I."

The doctor let out another laugh. "I have no reason to lie."

"We'll be the judge of that," Sophia replied.

"Yeah, besides, how can you expect us to just take your word for it?"

"Then how about this? I will answer any of your questions to the best of my ability. Whether you believe me or not is up to you."

Maya lowered her hand but still kept her grip on her dagger. "I'll start then. What were those root creatures we saw earlier?"

"They are failures, processed and reborn to serve as obstacles for tributes who wish to ascend to the higher floors."

Sophia interrupted. "By failures, do you mean-"

The elk-man glanced at the Paladin briefly and confirmed, "Fallen Tributes, yes."

Maya gestured down with her free hand and asked, "Were you the one responsible for what I saw on the fourth floor?"

The Doctor shook his head. "No, my domain is only on this floor."

Unsatisfied, Maya raises her voice slightly. "Then why do you think I'm a scion of Munin?"

The Doctor leaned back in his chair. "I...can smell it on you. The stench of one touched by the Old Gods is unmistakable."

Maya fell silent at his explanation. Deep down, she had always known that there had to be a catch to the Administrator's offer. But for now, she just hoped that the implications of her Relic Class wouldn't be anything too bad.

The Doctor looked at Maya, sensing her unease. "If it's confidentiality you're worried about, don't worry. One must be deeply attuned to the knowledge of the Old Gods to be able to notice your abilities."

Maya jolted back and she raised her head to eye the Doctor again. "So, do you worship Nergal?"

"My first patron of choice was Lord Namu, though I also exalt Lord Nergal's name in equal measure."

"And what about Munin?"

The Doctor froze in place at Maya's question. He remained silent for a few tense moments, the roots entwining his body squirming slightly as if agitated. And when he spoke again, his voice was very strained. "I cannot answer that question."

Maya pointed her dagger at the elk-man. "Why?"

The roots around the Doctor's body began to grow and squirm more intensely, until they seemed to constrict the elk-man's neck. He struggled for breath and could only manage to speak in ragged gasps, "Just...kill...me."

Suddenly, the Doctor's body convulsed violently, squirming as he dropped to the floor. Maya froze as she was transfixed by the sight. However, Sophia quickly grabbed the Shapestealer and pulled her away. "Snap out of it! We need to go."

"Yeah, sorry," Maya muttered, shaking her head to clear the shock. She then quickly followed Sophia out the door.

The two ran as fast as they could back into the cavern. But as they did so, they heard the sounds of moans of pain and bestial gurgles echoed from behind them. Only growing louder and louder as seconds ticked by.

As Maya and Sophia ran deeper back into the cave, they staggered slightly as they heard the sounds of stone breaking and the ground beneath them shaking. When they turned around, they saw a shambling, massive root-monster that had somehow crawled out of the room they had just fled. The creature was monstrous, pulling itself forward with one of its four massive legs.

Its head was grotesquely shaped like the doctor's head from earlier. Except, it was much larger and formed entirely out of roots.

Suddenly, the creature unleashed a loud roar that was so powerful that stones from the cavern ceiling began to fall. Maya and Sophia instinctively ducked and were forced to cover their heads to protect themselves from the falling debris.

As the shaking ceased and the echoes of the roar faded, they cautiously stood again, only to find the root monster's gaze fixed upon them. As it opened its mouth, Maya and Sophia thought that the creature was about to unleash another roar. But instead, they heard it speak, albeit in a very distorted and gurgled voice. "Kill…me…please."

2