1: Tribute
693 3 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Maya's legs were about to give out. She dashed around corners and weaved through the throngs of people at the city square as fast as she could. Glancing back every so often, her heart pounded faster as the officers that had been chasing her through almost half the city showed no signs of giving up. With a pouch of gold still firmly in her grip, she made a beeline towards a narrow alleyway where she hoped to lose her pursuers once and for all.

She only stopped running once she was deep within the alley; Maya hid behind some large crates and slumped back against the wall: panting heavily. The sound of metal hitting the ground echoed as the young thief dropped the pouch of gold she so desperately held before. For now, the money didn't matter as much as the fact that she managed to dodge the law.

Breathe in, breathe out, in, out, in, out. Maya began to smile as she gradually calmed her nerves; she was going to eat proper food tonight, something fit for-

"Are you lost, little girl?"

Every fiber of Maya's being tensed as she heard those words. After muttering a brief curse under her breath, she turned her head to her left and put on her most menacing glare.

"Can I help you?" She asked.

A group of three gruff-looking men stood by with various weapons in their hands. The one in the middle took a step forward and pointed his machete at Maya's throat.

The thug grinned with glee. "Ya wouldn't mind sharin' that gold, would you?"

"Piss off, the gold's mi-"

Before Maya could finish her sentence; she felt a painful prick that forced her to drop her facade. The tip of the machete now stained with a bit of blood as it was partially embedded in her neck.

"I think I got some 'earin problems; could ya repeat that?"

"F-fine, you can have the damn pouch."

"That's the spirit." The thug casually knelt down and grabbed the gold pouch near Maya; he hefted the pouch while standing back up, feeling the weight in his hands.

One of the thugs who stood behind twirled a dagger in his hands. "How much is there boss?"

"Dunno, but a good amount for sure." The man with the machete replied.

Maya froze as the three men chatted and boasted amongst themselves. Fear kept her trapped as she hoped that the thugs would just go away.

But then, one of the thugs smirked and walked closer towards the girl. "You know, I think there's more we can take than just the gold."

Instinctively, Maya shuffled back in a futile attempt at escape. A shiver ran down her spine as her back made contact with the stack of crates she hid behind; she couldn't run away.

"Don't worry, girlie. We'll make sure you fetch a good price." One of the thugs said, licking his lips.

Unable to run, the only thing Maya could do was to close her eyes. Tears carved pathways down her cheeks, tracing the contours of fear etched on her face. The girl squirmed as she braced herself for the inevitable.

And yet, nothing ever came. For a few moments, Maya just huddled up against the crates and continued to brace for what she thought was going to come. But instead, she heard the sound of boots trampling the ground as well as the sounds of a struggle happening. Relief washed over her as she heard several manacles click together.

"You three are under arrest for theft!"

"Come on officer, we didn't-"

"Save it for later."

When Maya opened her eyes, she let out a weak smile as she saw a brown-haired elf woman in a dark gray uniform look down on her with her arms crossed. "H-hello Officer Mabel."

The elven officer breathed out a heavy sigh. "It's going to be hard to get you out of this one kiddo."

Another one of the officers, a red-scaled lizard-man, returned with a set of manacles. "Make this easy for us, please."

Just as Maya surrendered her hands to the officers, a blindingly bright light erupted from her right hand. As the light flickered away, it revealed a striking red mark in the shape of an eye that was now etched on the girl's skin.

The mark's appearance prompted several gasps from the officers. One officer's face went pale as he took an involuntary step back. Another officer's hand went to her mouth, her eyes darting from the mark to Maya's face and back. All the while, the girl's heart sank as she struggled to believe that she of all people had been chosen to enter the Tower.

For a few minutes, there was only silence. Until finally, Officer Mabel offered a hand to help Maya up. "Come with me."

The girl nodded and meekly accepted the officer's hand. As she stood up, she braved herself to ask. "Am…I still getting locked up?"

"I've got something else in mind."

***

To Maya's surprise, Officer Mabel didn't put any manacles on her. Instead, the guardswoman took her to a bench at a serene park. Just in front of it was a beautiful crystalline pond that mirrored the blue sky above. The two sat together at the bench, an awkward silence filling the air as neither side spoke at first.

Wanting to ease some of the tension; Maya glanced down and muttered. "Sorry for stealing, Officer."

The guardswoman leaned back against the bench and shook her head. "Just call me Mabel when we're alone, and don't worry, I'll handle things."

Maya breathed a sigh of relief. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it. I'm surprised you stole money this time though; and from a reputable merchant too."

"I hope he didn't give you a hard time."

"Wasn't too bad. I got yelled at for not catching the thief who stole his gold, but he was fine on letting the matter go after I returned his money."

"Sorry again, I…wanted something nice for my birthday."

"It's your birthday today?"

"Yeah, it is."

"How old are you now?"

"Sixteen."

"You should've told me earlier, I would've gotten you a present."

"My bad." Maya replied with a weak smile.

Mabel's eyes glanced at the mark on Maya's right hand. "Don't apologize, you've got bigger problems now."

The girl tried to scratch the mark off, but it was of no use. As her fingers traced the symbol, tears welled in her eyes.

Mabel embraced Maya in a tight hug; gently resting the girl's head on one of her shoulders. "You won't die, kid."

The mark of the all-seeing eye was never something that was met with celebration. For whoever bore the mark must face a harrowing choice: die within the next day or enter the Tower from which none have ever returned.

As Maya released herself from Mabel's embrace, she wiped off some of her tears with her hands and glanced at the Tower in the distance. Its structure was reminiscent of a gnarled and twisted tree, its branches reaching skyward like skeletal fingers clawing at the sky. Even from afar, it was all too easy to be unnerved by the Tower's towering presence.

"I wonder if the Tower hates us." Maya muttered.

"The Tower's just a building." Mabel replied.

"A building that kills."

"That thing is so tall it pierces through the clouds; I'm sure there are still people alive climbing it as we speak."

"How can you be so optimistic?"

Suddenly, Mabel got up from the bench, dusting off her coat. "You know what kid? Stay over at my place for the night."

"Are…you sure?"

"Absolutely."

Maya glanced down. "But I-"

Mabel interrupted the girl and placed a hand on both of her shoulders. "Kid, listen. If you want a chance at surviving: follow me and I'll get you cleaned up and give you some gear, understood?"

"Yes Ma'am."

***

After a long walk, Mabel led Maya until they reached a cozy house at the city's edge. Once inside, the elven guardswoman got to work preparing dinner as the girl took a bath before lounging around in the living room. It was nice being able to just relax; to be able to put the Tower behind her, if only temporarily.

Before long, it was time for dinner. Maya made her way to the dining room. There was a large, rectangular oak table in the center, meticulously set with silverware that gleamed under candlelight. Maya and Mabel took their seats at the closer ends of the table, facing each other.

The officer extended a knife to Maya. "Care to serve the food?"

The girl's face lit up with a smile. "Of course."

Rising from her chair, Maya's hands worked with surprising dexterity as she carved up the chicken. The knife went through the meat as if it were going through butter, and with practiced care, she placed a few pieces onto the officer's plate before cutting a few more pieces for herself.

"Seems you're still good with a knife." Officer Mabel complimented.

Maya smiled. "You're the one who taught me."

"I had to; I know the orphanage is rough."

"It's definitely not great." As the girl finished taking her slices of chicken and sat down again, the corners of her mouth turned downwards into a frown.

"I heard some of the older kids there are already involved with gangs." Mabel said.

"Yeah, those ones always end up being bullies."

The elven officer let out a heavy sigh. "You should've moved in with me a long time ago, kid."

Maya's eyes lowered slightly as she fidgeted with her fork. "I…didn't want to get you into trouble, you know, for picking up someone like me."

Mabel, leaning back in her chair, let out a light chuckle. "You've caused me plenty of trouble already, kid, don't know how much worse it can be if you lived with me."

"I'll consider it if I ever come back from the Tower." Maya said with a knowing smile.

Once the two finished their food, Officer Mabel got up and prepared to leave the dining room. "Can you wash the dishes?"

Maya nodded. "I can."

"Good, once you're done, come up to the second floor; I've got something to show you," Mabel said, turning towards the doorway.

"Show me what?"

"It's a surprise."

Curious, Maya hastened to complete her task. The dishes clinked gently as she scrubbed and rinsed them. Once finished, she wiped her hands on a nearby towel and left the dining room.

She climbed a staircase that led to the second floor. But once she was there, the girl's gaze was immediately drawn to Mabel, who was already making her way up a rickety ladder that disappeared into the attic.

"Don't just stand there, get over here!" The elven officer called down.

Maya rushed to follow. Once she was in the attic, her eyes widened as she saw a series of items laid out before her: a white cloak, tunic and similarly colored pants to go along with it, as well as a set of black gloves and boots.

"Wow."

"All yours, kid."

The girl looked Mabel in the eyes and saw in the elf the most genuine smile she had ever seen in her life. The guardswoman had always been kind to her, but never like this. "Why are you doing this for me?"

Mabel chuckled. "Can't even get a 'thank you' from youngsters these days, huh?"

"Oh, uh, thanks." Maya muttered; her cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"It's all good, kid."

"It's just…this is a lot."

The elven officer laughed and gently ruffled Maya's hair. "I'd rather you take stuff from me than steal again."

"Fair enough." The girl replied with a light chuckle.

"Go and try out the clothes first; my daughter was around your size when she wore them, I'll be back in a bit."

"Alright."

As Mabel left the attic, Maya tried out her new clothes. She started with the tunic and pants before wearing the cloak and gloves. Lastly, she slipped her feet into the boots. To her surprise, everything she wore felt rather comfortable; the tunic was a bit loose over her slender form, but it wasn't anything too bad. She then looked around for a mirror and saw an old, dusty standing mirror at the corner of the attic.

With a careful sweep, Maya cleared the mirror from the accumulated dust. As her eyes met the image before her, she smiled. The white cloak went quite nicely with her shoulder-length black hair, she almost looked like a proper adventurer.

Then, a familiar voice echoed from behind her. "How are the clothes?"

"I like them." Maya replied as she turned around and saw Mable with her hands behind her back.

"That's good to hear, but I still have something for you."

"Oh, what is it?"

"This."

The elf revealed a sheathed dagger and handed it over to Maya. "Take it out and see for yourself."

Maya obliged and slowly drew out the dagger. It was an ornate looking thing with a polished, silvery texture.

"Holy shit." The girl muttered, examining the weapon.

Mabel gently tapped Maya on the shoulder. "I got it for myself a while back, but I think you should have it."

"I-I can't take this."

"Why not?"

"It's just…too much, I don't deserve something this amazing."

"Kid, don't worry, it's yours."

"But isn't this dagger really expensive?"

"Mithril daggers are rather costly."

Maya extended the dagger forward and offered it back to the officer. "Then you should keep it, I can't take something like this."

"Doesn't matter, I want you to have it anyway."

"But I-"

"No buts."

"Just…why?"

Mabel crossed her arms and sighed. "I have a conscience too, kid. You think I'd be able to sleep at night if I didn't at least try and help you?"

Maya's eyes widened in confusion and awe; her hands nervously fidgeted with the hem of her tunic. "Oh…sorry."

The elf shook her head. She extended the Mithril dagger towards Maya with a gentle yet firm grip. "If you really feel bad, make sure to pay me back after you come back from the Tower."

Maya hesitated for a moment before her hand, trembling slightly, reached out to grasp the dagger. She nodded, her resolve steeling in her eyes. "You have my word."

"Best of luck for tomorrow."

***

By next dawn, Maya bid farewell to Mabel and walked towards the Tower with a new backpack filled with some supplies that the officer gave to her in the morning. By the time the sun was at its zenith, she arrived at a gate where several guards stood watch. They tried to stop her from entering at first, but the moment she showed them the mark on her hand, they swiftly parted away.

Maya walked through the gates and into the long, empty courtyard. The air was heavy with an eerie stillness that was only punctuated by her footsteps.

The landscape changed as she neared the tower's base. The once verdant grass shifted to an ominous violet hue, and the leaves on the surrounding trees transformed from green into a vivid crimson, casting an otherworldly pallor over the surroundings.

A large set of marble stairs led up to the entrance of the tower. Every step she took made her heart race faster. She had a lot less to lose compared to most, but that didn't change the gnawing sense of dread that lurked at the back of her mind. Nevertheless, she climbed.

Upon reaching the tower's entrance, she walked in and found herself within a large stone chamber. Ancient symbols and writings adorned the walls, most of which were unintelligible to Maya. Despite this, there was one sentence etched to the walls that she could actually read:

This tower is dedicated to the Old Gods
May all who enter exalt their divinity

Just as she finished reading, a cascade of radiant runes materialized before her. The entire chamber ignited in a vibrant glow, enveloping Maya in ethereal light.

[Welcome, Tribute, please remain still]

Maya couldn't move her muscles at all. Paralyzed completely, she could only watch as the runes in front of her shifted and flickered in and out of existence.

[Analyzing Statistics]

[Status Menu Unlocked]

Tribute Name: Maya

Class: Undefined

Level: 3

Physique: 1

Dexterity: 2

Magic: 0

Soon, Maya felt an intense heat consume her as the whole floor of the room glowed until all she could see was white.

[Initiating dungeon sequence: First Floor]

30