Volume 1: Meet the Twins
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Here we go, back to where it all started. The start of one of my favorite books and favorite OCs.)

"Legends." A Female Narrator starts. "Stories scattered through time. Mankind has grown quite fond of recounting the exploits of heroes and villains, forgetting so easily that we are remnants, byproducts, of a forgotten past. Man, born from dust, was strong, wise and resourceful. But he was born into an unforgiving world.

An inevitable darkness, creatures of destruction. The creatures of Grimm set their sights on man and all his creations. These forces clashed and it seemed the darkness was intent on returning man's brief existence to the void.

However, even the smallest spark of hope is enough to ignite change and in time, man's passion,resourcefulness and ingenuity led them to the tools that would help even the odds. The power was appropriately named, 'Dust'.

Nature's wrath in hand, man lit their way through the darkness and in the shadow's absence, came strength, civilization and most importantly, life. But even the most brilliant lights eventually flicker and die."

The broken moon of Remnant shines down on the streets of Vale. Where a group of suspicious looking people are being led by a man in a white suit, Roman Torchwick.

"And when they are gone... darkness will return."

Roman stops and takes a puff of his cigar, before continuing. People back away and hide as he and his goons walk through the streets of downtown Vale.

"So, you may prepare your guardians... build your monuments to a so-called free world, but take heed... there will be no victory in strength."

Roman and his goons approach a shop called "From Dust Till Dawn."

Inside an Old man wipes away some dust from his counter.

A Male Narrator speaks. "But perhaps victory is in the simpler things that you've long forgotten."

Roman and his goons enter the shop and approach the counter."

"Things that require a smaller, more honest souls."

Yet, what they don't notice, is that in the back are two teens. One in a Red clock and one that's slightly taller in a white cloak. Both are reading magazines, the Red one about weapons and the White one about Planes.

Roman approaches the counter where the Old Man is, while his goons check out the Dust the store sells.

Roman takes the cigar out of his mouth and discards the ash to the side, before crossing his arms. "Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a Dust shop open this late?"

One of Roman's goons aim their pistol at the shop keep.

The old man swiftly brings up his hands in surrender, and speaks in a scared tone. "P-please! Just take my Lien and leave!"

"Shhh, calm down, we're not here for your money." Roman says to the shop keep, before ordering his goons around. "Grab the dust."

A goon sets a case on the counter and opens it up. He and another goon grab a couple large cylinders and brings them over to the pneumatic tubes, and fill them up with the Dust the tubs hold.

A goon sets another case in front of the old man. "Crystals. Burn. Uncut." The old man follows the instructions. 

Another goon goes to the other side of the store where more pneumatic tubes are, and he spots out two heroes. Their capes flap a little from the breeze supplied by a nearby vent.

The goon pulls out a red sword and points it at the two teens. "Alright kids, put your hands where I can see 'em." He grits his teeth in annoyance. "Hey, I said hands in the air!" he walks over to them. "You got a death wish or something!?"

The goon pulls down the hood of the white cloaked teen, revealing a boy with short black hair with golden tips and shiny silver eyes. He wears a brown unzipped leather jacket with its sleeves rolled up, under the jacket is a red shirt. 

He wears black jeans and red finger-less gloves. Black combat boots with red laces, red trims around the top, and red soles. He has a silver rose emblem on his black belt, that has several rows of shotgun shells on it. A few shells are different colors.

This is Asher 'Sarge' Rose. And he's wearing some red headphones with his emblem on it. Also the cloak is fastened together by cross-shaped pin at his chest.

"Hmmm?" Asher questions, and he spots the goon. "Uh?" He elbows Ruby, his sister, and she looks at him, then she spots the goon. 

Ruby spots a pair of headphones nearly identical to Asher's

The goon motions to his own ears, signaling them to take off their headphones.

Ruby and Asher take their headphones off and rest them on their necks. Asher's music blares through his headphones.

"Yes?" Ruby asks innocently. 

"I said, put your hands in the air, now!" The Goon orders.

"Are you..."

"Robbing us?" Asher finishes.

"Yes!" The goon nearly yells in annoyance.

"Oh...." Ruby and Asher glances at each other.

At the front, Roman is looking at a Red Dust crystal.

"Hyah!" Asher and Ruby yell and the goon flies past Roman.

A goon walks up beside Roman. Roman motions to where to commotion came from and the goon nods, and walks over.

The goon pulls out a pistol and points it at the teens. "Freeze!"

Asher and Ruby look at each other, before nodding.

Outside of From Dust Till Dawn, everything is peaceful and calm, before a window is broken through by Ruby and Asher drop kicking a goon through said window.

Asher's music continues to blare through his headphones as several goons look out the now broken window.

The goons and Roman watch as Ruby and Asher take their weapons out, and put them into scythe form.

The goons and Roman watch as Ruby and Asher take their weapons out, and put them into scythe form

Asher spins Cataclysmic Edge, before pumping it with a smirk.

Asher spins Cataclysmic Edge, before pumping it with a smirk

The Rose Twins clocks flap in the nighttime breeze. Their silver eyes shine as they glance at their enemies and give them a look of determination. 

Asher turns off his music.

Roman blinks as a few ashes from his cigar fall. "Okayyy...." He looks to his goons, and then motions to the teens. "Get them!"

All of Roman's goons charge at them.

"Ready?" Asher asks.

"Oh, yeah." Ruby smiles.

Asher then grabs Ruby's hand and spins her around, before throwing her forward. Ruby drop kicks the first goon in the face.

Asher ducks under a blade as it flies right above him, then he swings his scythe to behind the goon's legs and fires his shotgun. The kickback sends Asher and his scythe back a couple feet, while also knocking down the goon.

Asher pumps his weapons as he spins it and himself around to avoid another blade coming down at him. The goon becomes surprised at the teens agility and Asher gives the goon a wink. Asher fires his weapon and it swiftly spins around and the blunt edge of the scythe knocks the goon right in the face.

Asher swiftly changes Cataclysmic Edge into shotgun form and takes a black shell off his belt and loads it into the gun, before pumping it. He then Asher ducks under several bullets flying above him, before he aims his shotgun behind him and fires, black particles shootout from the gun's barrel.

Then blast sends Asher shooting forward and he kicks a goon in the chest. Then he uses his semblance, Blaze Burst, to get up into the air, after changing his shotgun into a scythe. Flaming red and orange Rose petals fall around him.

Asher falls to the ground and brings the blunt end of his scythe onto the head of another goon, knocking him out.

Asher smiles as Ruby lands next to him, they both fist pump.

Roman looks at his knocked out goons that litter the ground. "You were worth every cent. Truly, you were." He looks up at the twins while taking the cigar out of his mouth. "Well, Red, White, I think we can all say it's been an eventful evening,-" He drops his cigar on the ground and crushes it with the tip of his cane. "-and as much as I'd love to stick around..." He brings his cane up and aims it at the Twins. "I'm afraid this is where we part ways."

A sight pops up on the tip of the cane, and he fires a flare at the two. Ruby aims her scythe down, as Asher grabs onto her arm, and fires. Sending the two teens into the air as the flare explodes where they just were.

They land on their feet and look up only to spot Roman gone. They take a few steps towards the shop and look around, where Ruby spots Roman climbing the fire escape of a nearby building. 

Ruby nudges Asher and motions towards Roman. Asher frowns and lets out an unhappy grumble.

The shop keeper stumbles out of the shop and Ruby turns to him. "You okay if we go after him?" She asks.

The shop keeper nods and the towns take off after Roman.

Roman reaches the top of the building and runs forward. A couple gun shots go off and the twins fly up to the top of the building and land with a roll.

"Hey!" Asher calls out, making Roman stop.

"Persistent..." Roman mutters.

Ruby and Asher ready their weapons, only for a Bullhead to fly up beside the building. The twins take a couple steps back. A spotlight shines down onto the two as a door opens up on the side of the plane. Roman hops in and turns to the twins.

"End of the line, Kids." Roman pulls out a fire dust crystal. Then tosses it at the two.

The crystal flies through the air and lands in front of the twins.

"Ruh roh." Asher mumbles and he looks up to see Roman aims his cane at the crystal.

Roman fires his cane as Asher covers Ruby, not noticing a new figure land in front of them. The flare strikes the crystal and blows it up in a large explosion. 

"Whoa-ho-ho!" Roman laughs, only to stop as he notices something. "Huh?"

The Huntress, Glynda Goodwitch is using her semblance to shield the two teens from the explosion. Asher uncovers Ruby and the two notice Goodwitch.

Goodwitch's semblance dies down and she hums in thought. Ruby smiles in amazement, while Asher eyes shine in wonder. 

Goodwitch pushes up her glasses, then waves her weapon and summons several streaks of purple projectiles at the craft. Roman is thrown around in the back until he goes to the cockpit, where a woman in red, her face unseen, is struggling with the controls.

"We got a Huntress!" Roman informs.

The woman climbs out of the cockpit and goes into the back. While Roman sits down and takes control of the aircraft. 

Glynda glows purple for a moment and aims another blast above the craft, resulting in a dark storm-cloud right over the jet.

"The hell...?" Roman questions as he looks out the windows.

With a flick of her wand, large jagged hail starts falling that pummels the jet and even breaks through the window, narrowly missing Roman's head.

"So cool..." Asher mutters as he watches on.

The woman reaches the back and her arms and chest light up like fire, aiming a burst of energy at Glynda. The Huntress blocks it, but the flame splatters behind her and glows hot with the enemy's raised hand. Glynda back-flips out of the explosion, which destroys part of the roof, and magically gathers the shards to create a large arrow, which she throws at the craft. 

The fiery woman shatters the arrow with several blasts, but it reforms just in time to hit the side of the jet due to Roman's quick aerial lean. The wreckage separates and reshapes into more arrows that encircle the jet, but the woman summons several glowing rings around herself that expand and destroy the shards.

Ruby, finally acting, reverts her scythe into its rifle form. Asher spins his scythe into the air as it changes into its shotgun form and he catches it.

Asher swiftly takes several dark red shells, where a tip of metal is seen at the top of the shell, and loads them into his shotgun. Ruby and Asher swiftly take aim and fire at the woman. 

The woman blocks each shot and creates several blazing circles around her three opponents.

"That's kinda cheating." Asher grumbles as he ejects a spent shell.

 Glynda telekinetically pushes the twins and rolls herself out of the explosion's radius; looking up to see the hatch of the bullhead close and the craft flies away.

"Aw man, they got away!" Asher complains as he throws his hands up in anger.

Glynda then looks over to the twins as Ruby speaks. "You're a Huntress!" Ruby puts on a pleading, awe-stricken face. "Can I have your autograph?!"

"Can I have your autograph?!"

.

.

.

Both Ruby and Asher have shame all over their face, as Glynda, with a tablet computer, paces around the table the twins are seated at, right underneath a bright light in the otherwise dark room. 

Asher touches the tips of his pointer fingers together in nervousness. 

Glynda berates the two twins. "I hope you two realize that your actions will not be taken lightly, children. You both put yourselves and others in great danger."

Asher looks towards Glynda. "But they started it, and more people could have been hurt if we didn't interfere."

"By putting yourselves and them in danger? You children, what would your parents think?"

Asher raises a hand up and opens his mouth, only to not say anything and close his mouth and lower his hand.

"If it were up to me, you'd both be sent home..." Glynda starts. "With a pat on the back..." The Twins grow hopeful. "And a slap on the wrist."

Glynda slams her riding crop on the table, right next to their hands. The twins yelp as they bring their hands back in fear.

Glynda takes her weapon off the table. "But... there is someone here who would like to meet the two of you."

She moves out of the way so a surprised Ruby and Asher can see a man in green come through the doorway, holding a mug and a plate of cookies.

"Ruby and Asher Rose..." Ozpin leans close to the twins. "You two...  have silver eyes."

Ruby and Asher glance at each other, before looking back to Ozpin. "Um..."

"So! Where did you two learn to do this?" Ozpin gestures to Glynda's tablet, which is showing the fight they had recently. 

"Signal Academy?" Asher chuckles nervously.

"They taught you two to use one of the monster dangerous weapons ever designed?"

"Well, one teacher in particular." The twins say together.

Ozpin and Glynda look at each other with questioned faces when the twins said their sentence in perfect unison.

"I see..." Ozpin sets the plate of cookies down. 

 They tentatively pick one up, eat it in a single bite, and then, not seeing any rebuttal, shovels the rest into their mouths.

Ozpin continues. " It's just that I've only seen one other scythe-wielder of that skill before. A dusty, old crow..."

Ruby hums in delight, then speaks with a mouth full of food. "Thash owr unkul!"

Asher shallows the cookies in his mouth and rubs the crumbs away. "She said 'That's our uncle!'" He gives his sister a light glare.

Ruby swallows her cookies. "Sorry..." She clears her throat. "He's a teacher at Signal!" 

Ozpin takes a sip from his mug.

"He's so cool!" Asher says with stars in his eyes.

Ruby continues. "We were complete garbage before he took us under his wing. And now we're all like--" Ruby starts doing karate moves. "Hooowaaaah! Witchaaaa!" She hits Asher on the head.

"Owww...." Asher rubs his head.

Ruby chuckles. "Sorry."

"So I've noticed." Ozpin sets his mug down on the table as he leans in, then sits down opposite of the twins. "And what are adorable children such as yourselves doing at a school designed to train warriors?"

"We want to be a Huntress/Huntsman." The twins say at the same time.

"You want to slay monsters?" Ozpin asks.

Ruby nods. "Yeah."

 Asher gives a slight so-so hand motion. "Kinda, I guess. I wanted to be a pilot, but I'm just doing it to stay with family."

"Admirable." Ozpin states.

Then Ruby speaks. "Well, we only have two more years of training left at Signal! And then we're going to apply to Beacon!" She begins talking faster and faster with her enthusiasm growing. " You see, our sister's starting there this year, and she's trying to become a Huntress, and we're trying to become a Huntress/Huntsmen 'cause we wanna help people. Our parents always taught us to help others, so I thought, Hey, I might as well make a career out of it!" She giggles. "I mean the police are alright, but Huntsmen and Huntresses are just so much more romantic and exciting and cool and really, gosh, you know!"

Ruby flips out at the last part, staring at Ozpin and Glynda with a wide, crazy smile. Asher just nods along. Glynda and Ozpin study the two.

"...Do you two know who I am?" Ozpin asks.

"You're Professor Ozpin." The Twins states. "You're the headmaster of Beacon.

"Hello."

"Nice to meet you." The twins say together, again.

"You two want to come to my school?" Ozpin asks.

"Yes! More than anything!" Ruby says with excitement. 

Ozpin exchanging glances with Glynda, who shows her disapproval with a 'Hmmph' before he turns back to Ruby and Asher. "Well, okay."

The twins look at each other in excitement. 

.

.

.

Yang Xiao Long, the older sister to the Rose Twins, tackles the two into a hug aboard the large Vale Airship to Beacon, crushing the air out of the two.

"Oh, I can't believe my baby siblings are going to Beacon with me!" Yang cheers. "This is the best day ever!"

"Please... Stop..." Ruby speaks in a strained voice, while Asher's face slowly turns blue.

Yang lets go of the Twins. "But I'm so proud of you two!"

Asher bends over, putting his hands on his knees, and takes deep breathes. 

"Really, Sis, it was nothing." Ruby states.

"What do you mean?" Yang asks, as Asher finishes catching his breath. "It was incredible! Everyone at Beacon is going to think the both of you are the bee's knees!"

Asher looks down at his knees, then back up to Yang with an unamused look. "My knees will no become bees."

Yang rolls her eyes. "It was a figure of speech, Asher."

Asher blinks a few times. "Ohhhhh..."

Ruby then speaks. "I don't want to be the 'bee's knees', okay? I don't wanna be any kind of knees! I just want to be a normal girl with normal knees."

Yang smirks at the twins.

"Normal knees are the best." Asher says.

Ruby throws her hands out towards Asher. "See, Asher gets it!"

"What's with the two of you?" Yang asks. "Aren't you both excited?"

"Of course we're excited!" The twins nearly shouts.

"I hate it when you two do that." Yang mutters quietly.

"We just..." Asher sighs. "We both got moved ahead by two years."

Ruby then finishes. "We don't want people to think we're special."

Yang walks between the twins and wraps an arm around both of them. "But you two are special."

They then hear a News Reporter from a nearby TV. "...The robbery was led by nefarious criminal Roman Torchwick, who continues to evade authorities. If you have any information on his whereabouts, please contact the Vale Police Department. Back to you, Lisa."

Lisa Lavander then speaks on the news. "Thank you, Cyril. In other news, this Saturday's Faunus Civil Right's protest turned dark when members of the White Fang disrupted the ceremony. The once peaceful organization has now disrupted..."

The news gets cut off, and a hologram of Glynda appears and speaks to the students aboard the Airship. "Hello, and welcome to Beacon!"

"Who's that?" Yang questions. 

"My name is Glynda Goodwitch."

"Oh."

Goodwitch continues. "You are among a privileged few who have received the honor of being selected to attend this prestigious academy. Our world is experiencing an incredible time of peace, and as future Huntsmen and Huntresses, it is your duty to uphold it. You have demonstrated the courage needed for such a task, and the training to protect our world."

The holowitch disappears.

Ruby lets out a cry of surprise. "Oh, wow! Look, you can see Signal from up here!"

Ruby, Asher and several other students look through the glass walls at Vale below them.

"I guess home isn't too far after all!" Ruby states.

"What a beautiful view." Asher smiles brightly.

Yang puts a hand on their shoulders. "Beacon's out home, now."

The three hear a passenger groaning and hunched over nearby, running to the back of the ship.

"Well..." Yang starts. "I guess the view isn't for everyone' She rolls her eyes.

"It was a nice moment while it lasted..." Asher states. "I wounder who we're gonna meet today."

"I just hope they're better than 'Vomit Boy'." Ruby states. "Oh, Yang, gross. you have vomit on your shoe!"

Asher starts laughing. 

"Gross! Gross! Gross!" Yang yells.

"Get it away from me!" Ruby yells. "Get it away from me!"

Asher laughs louder.

"It's not funny, Asher!" Yang yells.

"Asher laughs even harder. "Oh, I have a feeling this will be the best four years ever!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(There we go, the official start of the remastered journey! I do hope you liked it, cause this was a bit longer than the original and much more put together.)

11-24-2023

3540 words

2