The Badge and The Burden
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's early morning in team RDDD's dorm room.

Grif is peacfully sleeping in his bed. Though his bed sheets and blankets are on the floor. A bag of chips is under his arm as he snores.

Simmons is sleeping with a notebook in his bed, though his bed is still neat.

Next is Donut who's sleeping on his back with a sleep mask over his eyes and a unicorn plushie in his hands.

Then last is Asher... He's nowhere to be seen on his bed as it is neatly made. A clock next to his bed changes to 7 am.

Suddenly the bathroom door opens and out steps Asher, wearing his school uniform and large white cloak. he shuts the door behind him, then cracks his neck.

Asher walks into the center of the room and pulls out his scroll. He taps on the screen a few times, then a blaring sounds comes out as he holds it up.

Grif falls out of his bed with a thud, crushing the bag of chips he had. He lets out some groans.

Simmons shoots straight up and his notebook falls onto the floor.

"Morning time already?" Donut calmly sits up as he removes his sleeping mask.

"Wake up, dirtbags!" Asher shouts. "It's time to get ready for school!"

Grif pulls himself up and his yellow ears flatten. "Just five more minutes...." He crawls back into bed.

Simmons rubs his eyes and grabs his scroll off the nightstand next to the bed. "Sir, it's 7 am." He yawns. "We don't have classes for a couple more hours."

Donut slides out of bed and stands up. Her takes a deep breath and grows a big smile. "Come on guys, it's a new day! That means a new adventure!"

"Shut up, Donut." Both Simmons and Grif tiredly yell.

Asher chuckles. "That's the spirit, Donut. You two get up, that's an order. I don't care if you're tired."

"Yes, sir." Simmons gets out of bed.

Grif groans. "Fiiiiine!" He slides out of bed and onto the floor.

Asher goes over to the window and opens it up, as the rest of his team gets ready. He takes a deep breath of the morning air as a breeze blows through his black hair with yellow tips.

Asher silver eyes shine as he smiles. "Get ready Beacon, cause RDDD team's in town!"

After a while Simmons and Grif are finished getting ready and they're sitting on their beds. Grif is eating the crushed chips from the bag he had, while Simmons is writing in his notebook.

Suddenly Donut walks out of the bathroom, in a pink uniform. "Ozpin said he ran out of uniforms, so he had to give me this older one he had."

Grif and Simmons look to each other, then back to Donut.

"Uh... Hey Donut?" Grif calls out.

"What?" Donut blue eyes looks at Grif.

"Um... about your uniform." Simmons starts.

Donut looks to Simmons. "What about it?"

"How do I put this... Your uniform is, um... It's a little, um..." Simmons looks to Grif. "Grif, uh, you wanna help me out here?"

"It's pink." Grif bluntly states. "Your uniform is frickn' pink!"

"Yeah, that's it." Simmons looks back to Donut. "Pink."

"Pink?" Donut looks down at his uniform, then back to the two. "It's not pink!"

"PINK!" Grif loudly says.

"Yeah, definitely pink." Simmons agrees.

"You guys are color blinks." Donut says in annoyance. "Why would he give me a pink uniform?"

"Hey, don't ask, don't tell." Grif says.

Simmons laughs. "That's not funny."

Girf chuckles. "It's a little funny."

Donut gestures to his uniform. "Look at it, It's not pink. It's like uh... light-ish red."

"Guess what? They already have a color for light-ish red. You know what it's called? Pink."

Donut frowns. "I hate you guys."

Asher walks over to the three. "Alright, Dirtbags." He notices Donuts uniforms and jokingly says. "Well a fine hello to you, Madam."

"It's light-ish red!"

"Don't get your panties in a wad there, Doll." Asher motions to the door. "We got classes in half an hour, let's go." He walks out of the room.

Donut turns to Simmons and Grif. "It's not pink." He follows after his leader.

Grif follows after Donut. "You can't deny the truth." Simmons laughs as he follows behind them.

As RDDD team walks past team RWBY's dorm they hear power tools. The four glance at each other and shrug, then continue on their way.

.

.

Asher and his team enter Professor Port's class, being the first ones there.

Port looks up from some paper work he was doing at his desk. "Ah, team RDDD. You're here early." Port stands up with a smile. "You know, I was always early. When I was a young boy, my father took me to the city..."

Team RDDD just ignore Port and they head to the right side of the room, and sit down in the second row.

Time ticks by and it's a few minutes before the start of the class. And yet there's no sign of Team RWBY and JNPR.

Asher turns to Simmons. "What's taking them so long?"

Simmons shrugs his shoulders. "I have no idea, Sarge."

"Maybe they slept in after all that ruckus they made." Grif suggest as he lays his head on his arms.

"Pft, Impossible." Asher waves Grif off. "Me and Ruby are the most responsible people ever!"

"I saw you trying to sneak your shotgun into the dorms, but Goodwitch caught you and took it back to the lockers." Donut informs.

"So?! That doesn't mean anything!" Asher turns away and crosses his arms. "I need my shotgun to prove my rank!"

"Your rank?" Donut, Simmons and Grif questions.

Suddenly the door slams open as the bell rings and both RWBY and JNPR crash inside.

Ruby jumps to her feet and throws her arms up. "YES! We're not late!"

Port clears his throat, making Ruby panic. "RWBY, JNPR, you were almost late. Don't let it happen again."

"Sorry, sir." Ruby nervously chuckles as she and her team sit down on the first row on the left side of the room.

Ruby glances around and she spots Asher and waves. Asher waves back. Asher and Weiss make eye contact and he winks, while Weiss just rolls her eyes and looks away.

Port starts his class. "Monsters! Demons... Prowlers of the night. Yes, the creatures of Grimm have many names. But I, merely refer to them as prey."

Grif is silently sleeping away as Simmons is taking some notes beside him. Donut has his chin on his hands with a smile on his face, enjoying the story. Asher is just simply listening.

Port loudly laughs, which wakes Grif up for a second. But then he just falls back asleep.

Port continues after realizing he just made it awkward. "Uhhh, and you shall too, upon graduating from this prestigious academy. Now as I was saying, Vale, as well as the other three kingdoms, are safe havens in an otherwise treacherous world." He starts to walk back and fourth in front of the class. "Our planet is absolutely teeming with creatures that would love nothing more than to tear you to pieces. And that's where we come in. Huntsman! Huntresses..."

Port clicks his tongue and winks at Yang, which makes her very uncomfortable.

Port continues. "Individuals who have sworn to protect those who cannot protect themselves. From what you ask? Why... The very world!"

"Eyyyy-yeah!" A student throws a fist up as he stands. Everyone stares at him and he swiftly sits down in embarrassment.

"That is what you are training to become. But first, a story. A tale of a young, handsome, man. Me. When I was a boy..."

"When are we gonna start learning about Grimm Anatomy?" Simmons whispers.

"His stories are nice though." Donut points out.

"I mean, we're learning from a veteran huntsmen." Asher points out. "Maybe these stories will help us out?"

"Asher!" Ruby whispers yells.

Asher looks over to Ruby and shows him a picture of Professor Port. Where is shows a fat port with stink lines coming off him, and below it says Professor Poop.

Asher snickers and Ruby giggles. But then Port clears his throat and the two shape up.

Port continues with his story. "In the end the Beowolf was no match for my sheer tenacity. And I returned to my village with the beast in captivity and my head held high. Celebrated, as a hero." He bows. "The moral of this story? A true huntsman must be honorable. A true huntsmen must be dependable."

Asher looks down towards Ruby and notices her goofing off, he snickers. But then notices its making Weiss angry.

"Uh oh..." Asher whispers.

"A true huntsman must be strategic... Well-educated and wise!"

Weiss starts to shake in anger.

"So, who among you believes themselves to be the embodiment of these traits?"

Weiss' hand swiftly shoots up. "I do, sir!"

"Well then, let's find out." Port looks at a large metal cage with glowing red eyes shining from within. "Step forward, and face your opponent."

Weiss stomps out of the room.

"What's got her so angry." Grif asks, having woke up a minute prior.

Simmons shrugs her shoulder. "Well, she is a Schnee."

"What does that mean?" Donut asks. "Her sister is kinda nice."

"She has an older sister?" Asher questions.

Donut nods. "Yeah, you didn't know?"

"I hardly know anything about the Schnee's. I just know they own dust stuff."

"Just own dust stuff?" Simmons questions. "They nearly own the entire dust industry."

"So... Does that make them important?" Asher asks in confusion.

Grif face palms. "Sir, that means they're very rich and powerful."

"Ooohhhh." Asher then whispers. "Do I still have a chance with her then?"

Weiss enters the room, with her combat outfit on and Myrtenaster in her hand. She stands in the front of the room and readies her weapon as the grimm in the cage growls loudly.

Yang raises her fists. "Goooo, Weiss!"

Blake is waving a small flag saying 'RWBY' "Fight well!"

"Represent Teeeam RWBY!" Ruby shouts.

Weiss lowers her sword and looks over at her 'leader' "Ruby! I'm trying to focus!"

Ruby looks around sheepishly. "Oh, um... Sorry..."

With team RDDD, Grif has fallen back asleep. Simmons sets his notebook and pen down. Donut is shaking with excitement. But Asher has a small frown on his face.

'Why is Weiss, so mean to Ruby?' Asher questions in thought.

Port stands next to the cage. "Allllright!" He pulls out his weapon Blowhard. "Let the match... begin!"

The professor swings down and breaks the lock, dropping the cage door and revealing the Boarbatusk inside, which immediately charges at Weiss. She uses Myrtenaster to deflect its attack and roll to the side, readying herself for its next move. The Grimm stands a distance away from its enemy, studying her.

"Ha-ha!" Port laughs. "Wasn't expecting that, were you?" Port asks.

"Hang in there, Weiss!" Ruby shouts.

Weiss is now speeding towards the oncoming Boarbatusk, sticking her blade straight at its skull until they meet and Myrtenaster is trapped in the beast's tusks. Weiss is still hanging on to the hilt, and is tossed around as she struggles to get the rapier back.

"Bold, new approach. I like it!" Port states.

"Come on, Weiss, show it who's boss!" Ruby shouts.

Weiss turns to glare at Ruby, only for the Boarbatusk to turn its head and rip the sword from her grip. Myrtenaster lands far away from its master, who is knocked back by the creature's tusks.

"Oh-ho! Now what will you do without your weapon?" Port asks.

Weiss looks up just in time to see the Boarbatusk charge again, rolling out of the way just in time to avoid getting trampled and make it crash into a desk. Weiss rushes at her sword and slides to get it back in her hand.

"Weiss!" Ruby calls out. "Go for its belly! There's no armor underneath-"

Weiss turns to Ruby. "Stop telling me what to do!"

Ruby looks hurt at Weiss' rebuttal. Meanwhile, the Boarbatusk leaps into the air and rolls into a ball, spinning rapidly in the air and landing on the ground, consistently gaining speed until it launches itself at Weiss. It comes closer and closer, but Weiss activates one of her blue-white circles and blocks the roll, leaping up into the now-black snowflake symbol and turning it blue again so she can drive the blade into the Boarbatusk's stomach. It squeals and falls silent while Weiss gasps in relief.

"Bravo!" Port cheers. "Bra-vo! It appears we are indeed in the presence of a true Huntress-in-training!" Weiss stands up at attention from her exhausted position and Ruby continues to frown. "I'm afraid that's all the time we have for today. Be sure to cover the assigned readings, and... stay vigilant! Class dismissed!"

Weiss glares at Ruby and turns away, walking hurriedly to the exit past her teammates.

Asher gets up and walks over to his twin. "You alright, Rubes?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, Ashie." Ruby responds. "I need to talk to Wiess." She follows after Weiss.

Asher looks over to Yang, but she just shrugs her shoulder. He then glances at Blake and she does the same.

.

.

.

On the rooftops of Beacon the sun sets onto Asher. Asher sits on a bench with a large blue paper in his hand. He holds onto a pen and writes stuff onto the paper.

"20mm heavy machine gun..." Asher mutters as he draws something. "But what would go well with it? Aha! 35mm surface-to-surface missiles!" Asher chuckles to himself. "Yes, yes, this will become one of my best creations!"

"Asher?" Weiss voice calls out from behind Asher.

Asher panics and nearly drops his stuff. He then glances back to see Weiss a few feet behind him.

"Uh, Weiss, what are you doing here?" Asher asks.

"Ugh, I just needed someplace quiet to think." Weiss sits down next to Asher.

Asher glances to Weiss, then back down at his blue print. "So, is this because of Ruby?"

"Of course!" Weiss nearly shouts. "I just don't think she should be team leader!"

"Why?"

"What do you mean, why?!" Weiss grows angry.

Asher leans away from Weiss. "Um, have you seen yourself. You kinda act all high and mighty, and you are kinda mean."

"Excuse you?!"

Asher nervously chuckles. "I've never once seen you be nice in the two days I've known you. And Ruby's been nothing but nice. She was the one that took charge back during the test. And everything went perfect. So, do you really think you should he in charge, the girl who already knows everything, or the girl that can learn and grow more from the girl that knows everything."

Weiss sighs and looks away.

"I'm not saying to immediately accept this, but at least give her a chance. I promise she won't let you down, she'll try very hard to accomplish her goal."

"...Fine." Weiss glances back at Asher, their eyes meeting. "I guess I can help her grow."

Asher grows a large smile. "YES!" He then clears his throat. "Sorry,ThisJustMeansALot. MeAndRubyAlwaysGiveItOurBest,SoYouCanTrustMe."

Weiss smiles and gets up. "I look forward to seeing yours and Ruby's best." She walks away. "See you later, Flyboy."

"Flyboy?" Asher questions.

Weiss glances back for a second. "Well, I heard from Ruby that you want to be a pilot. So I think that nickname fits."

Asher grows smug. "Is the snowflake falling for me?"

Weiss frowns. "In your dreams." She walks away, with a small dust of red on her cheeks.

Asher sits back on the bench and looks up to the sky. Then he smiles to himself. "She's so into me."

.

.

Asher enters his dorm and sees Grif sitting on his bed eating from a bag of candy, as he plays on his scroll. Simmons is sitting at a desk, looking through a text book. Donut is reading a book.

Moonlight shines through the open window.

"Well..." Asher starts and his team looks at him. "Today went well."

"I guess it was okay." Grif says.

Simmons deadpans. "You were asleep most of the day."

"So, I was still in class."

Donut sets his book down. "I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings."

"Well everyone, let's get to bed and rest up." Asher orders.

"Right." The other three agree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-31-2023

2591 words

1