Chapter V: Abducted by Aliens
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        Oh, that Daniel Matton! PPMC should’ve known he wouldn’t sit still. When she woke to check on him, she found only an empty bed and the PPMC Gauntlet. That was a sneaky move on Dan’s part.

        Her hands fell into her cockpit. PPMC turned everything on and said, “He most likely went to the Mirovia Ocean.” She pressed the Precambrian button on her time machine and pulled up a map of Rodinia.

        PPMC dragged her finger across her blinking red dot and followed the trail to the ocean. “Okay, it’s not that far.” She hoped Dan hadn’t put himself in danger, but that was unlikely for a boy who loved geologic time and most likely suffered from a lung infection. She could not risk leaving him alone for long; she needed to watch him carefully.

        PPMC’s wheels whirled, and she lifted into the sky. She followed the map across Rodinia and flew between arches and close towers.

        While she flew, she noticed something on the map that looked intriguing for Dan to study: a mass of volcanoes about 100 miles away. They could finish the Precambrian Time with a bang and move on to the Paleozoic Era. PPMC had to admit that the Precambrian Time was boring. Even though she wanted to see more life instead of rocks, she understood why the space center sent Dan there: to find the first lifeforms.

        The Mirovia Ocean soon came into view, and PPMC landed at the edge of it. She blew up dust. Once it cleared, she noticed something approaching her and moved her hands outside. “Hoverscooter 23. Son of a—!” Of course, Dan overworked himself. She saw him conked out on his hoverboard.

        Hoverscooter 23 turned him over, and PPMC annoyingly said, “Thank you, Hoverscooter 23... again.” She didn’t dare try to wake Dan and escorted him to his room. She would give him a proper earful in the morning. Until then, she stayed by his side for the rest of the night.

        He slept soundly, but PPMC saw the fear and guilt on his face. She heard it in his voice, too, because he sleep-talked.

        “Mom.”

        Gee, what on Earth happened that day five years ago? Why couldn’t Dan tell PPMC? She needed another way to earn his trust, and something came to her robotic mind. She merely had to find the perfect time to execute her plan.

        At 7 a.m. Precambrian time, Dan stirred. Instantly, he sat and shouted, “Ah! I’ve been abducted by aliens!”

        “No, no!” PPMC stated. “It’s just PPMC, Dan.”

        “Huh?” Dan glanced at her. “Wait, I don’t understand. I left on my own. How did you find me?”

        “Uh... motherly instincts?” PPMC guessed. “Your hoverscooter brought you to me, and so help myself, Dan, if you leave without the PPMC Gauntlet again—”

        “I was gonna come back,” he argued, setting his hands in his lap. “I just didn’t want any distractions.” He beamed. “You won’t believe what I saw out there!”

        “Stromatolites?” Why couldn’t PPMC stay mad at him for long?

        “Yeah, stromatolites,” Dan joked. “No, PPMC, I also saw Otavia Antiqua!”

        “What?” PPMC had never heard that term before.

        “One of the first multi-celled organisms! Whoo-hoo!”

        Okay, that kid definitely felt better. He stood and jumped up and down on his bed, giddy like a child. “They lived from 760 Ma to 550 Ma, and I saw one!” Dan stopped bouncing and playfully waved his legs. “I looove geologic time, PPMC.”

        “I know you do.” She tossed him his sunsuit. “Get changed, kid, and meet me in the kitchen for breakfast. Afterward, you can show me the Mirovia Ocean. I also have something for you.”

        “You do?” Dan slightly blushed. “Aw, PPMC, you shouldn’t have.”

        “I have no choice,” she corrected. “I need to keep you safe.”

        “This isn’t about you thinking I’m sick again, right? Because I feel fantastic!” Dan made peace signs with his hands. “Geologic time, here we come!”

        That was the happiest PPMC had seen him. She couldn’t give him an earful now.

        Dan rushed into the bathroom and slammed the door behind him.

        “No slamming my doors!” PPMC snapped. She inhaled. “I swear—he has a lot of growing up to do.”

        “I heard that!” Dan called from the bathroom.

        “Son of a—!”

        “That, too.”

        “That’s it. I’m out.”

        PPMC hastily left Dan’s room and went to the kitchen. She fixed him a plate of pancakes and blueberries and met him at the table.

        At most, it could only hold two people. An orange, glow stick-like light stretched from its core to each chair.

        Dan and PPMC sat across from one another. PPMC’s elbows acted as her backside.

        “Now, don’t eat your food too fast,” she said, holding an empty water cup. “I know you’re excited, but we have all the time in the world.”

        “What’s the plan for today?” Dan cut his pancakes into smaller pieces. “Can I show you the Mirovia Ocean?”

        “Yes, you can, but I also found something 100 miles away from here that I think you might like.” PPMC pressed a button on the table. A large, holographic map of Rodinia appeared between her and Dan.

        “What the—? You have a map?” Dan peered around the screen at PPMC. “That could’ve come in handy when we first got here.”

        “It should be programmed in your gauntlet. Pull up the geologic time scale.”

        Dan lifted his arm. However, he yelled when, from out of nowhere, the gauntlet sparked. He quickly took it off, and it dropped onto the table. “The heck, PPMC? Are you messing with me? That’s the second time it’s shocked me.”

        “That’s not supposed to happen.”

        Dan slid the gauntlet to PPMC, and she picked it up. “It’s sunproof, right?”

        “Yeah, it is.” PPMC tapped the gauntlet. It eventually stopped sparking, and her hands floated off the chair.

        “You’re okay after the Wormhole Incident, right?” Nervousness coated Dan’s face like freshly fallen snow.

        PPMC returned the gauntlet. “I am, Dan. I checked everything. It’s probably just a fluke. You’re with me, so you don’t need that stupid thing for the map. Look here.” She pointed at the mass of volcanoes she found overnight. “This is a mass of Precambrian volcanoes. You’ll need to study them from a distance, but I think you’ll enjoy them. I have something for you to make it easier.”

        “What?” Dan jiggled in his seat, excited all over again.

        “Finish your breakfast first, and then I’ll show you.”

        He scarfed the rest of his meal but suffered from another hacking fit soon after.

        “Daniel! I told you not to eat your food too fast!” PPMC rushed to him and slapped his back. “Do you need me to get Junior Bucket?” She asked that because Dan drooled a little.

        He rubbed his mouth. “I’m fine... PPMC.” His fit had finally slowed.

        “You idiot.” PPMC pushed his cup of juice to him. “Drink up. I’m keeping a close eye on you today: no ands, ifs, or buts.”

        “Aw, but PPMC!”

        “No buts!”

        “Ugh,” Dan groaned. “Fine. I’ll let you tag along until we reach the volcanoes. Does that sound good to you?”

        “I guess.” PPMC collected his empty plate. “Now, help me wash the dishes. Afterward, I’ll get your rocket boots.”

        “Rocket boots? What the heck?” Dan’s face brightened. “I get rocket boots?”

        “Snap!” PPMC grumbled. “I spoiled the surprise!”

        “I’ve always wanted them!” Dan hopped up from his seat. “I’ll be just like those aliens in Portals and Aliens!”

        PPMC tittered. “If you say so. But you know what comes first.”

        “Yeah, yeah, the dishes.” Dan grinned. “You’re going to love this, PPMC. I’m an expert when it comes to rocket boots.”

        “Oh, you are, aren’t you?” PPMC folded her arms. “Let’s see what the dishes have to say about that.”

        “No, I am!” Dan pushed his chair in. “I learned in Portals and Aliens.”

        “Uh-huh.”

        “Stop with the hesitation already!” Dan crossed his own arms and held up one finger. “I’ll show you.”

        “After the dishes, Mr. One-Night Stander.”

0