Chapter [39}
295 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The [Iron beasts] were ensnared in an unending clash with the relentless [V2 Combat Golems]. A ceaseless torrent of them emanated from the shimmering silver portal, encircling [Iron Mine 1]. The perpetual skirmish resulted in a slight pushback of the [Iron beasts], but they swiftly adapted. Instead of yielding ground, they merged into a stationary bastion, creating a compact fortress. Yet, a complication arose.

 

The [Iron beasts], now amalgamated, transformed into an immense, resilient fortress constructed from [Iron ore that moved to heal them whenever they took damage]. Despite the relentless onslaught of [V2 Combat Golems] dispatched by [Automata], it remained impervious, with no substantial damage inflicted.

Occasionally, a massive rusty hand would pop up from behind the fortress and swipe randomly, crushing hundreds of [V2 Combat Golems] in the process.

Frustration built as time progressed when all its conventional strategies proved ineffective. [Automata] spun up new ones and started testing them, one of which was promising if his current theory was correct. He and his other minds knew that the bastion made from the body of the [Iron Beasts] was somehow using [Iron ore] to repair itself. But where was this [Iron ore] coming from? It had to be from below it, and this new strategy aimed to deprive the bastion of that source of healing.

 

This employed the use of [V1 Miner Golems] that were currently digging underground in a wide circle around the [Iron Bastion]. The first few tunnels collapsed and killed a good number of [V1 Miners], but [Automata] learned from that mistake and had [V2 Builder Golems] reinforce the tunnels. They built [Iron] support beams to enhance the tunnels and reduce the chances of them collapsing inward.

 

The [V1 Miners] were closing in on their target now and soon broke into what looked like a mysterious subterranean cavern. However, that notion was rapidly dispelled as [Automata's] heightened senses flooded the area. The way in which the [Iron ore] was carved out appeared unnatural. Massive sections of [Iron ore] were conspicuously absent, and sharp, precise edges were left at each cutout. It seemed as if square blocks of [Iron ore] had been meticulously extracted from the ground with uncanny precision.

 

Further up, there was a colossal hole that seemed to lead directly into what [Automata] assumed was the [Iron Bastion]. To confirm his suspicion, he ordered a random [V2 Combat Golem] to attack and, with a snap command, had it explode a second later. The explosion blasted off a substantial chunk of the wall, composed of [Iron ore], encircling the [Iron Bastion]. As soon as the damage was inflicted, [Automata] felt a peculiar pressure wash over the ambient [Automation Mana] that had permeated the cave. He watched in fascination as a large portion of [Iron ore] suddenly vanished, accompanied by the transient presence of the strange pressure in the cave.

 

A second later, the damage to the wall was miraculously healed, and it appeared as if nothing had ever happened.

 

A plan began to take shape in the mind of [Automata] as it compiled the information in its [Central Core]. Now that it understood how the healing functioned, it was time to figure out a way to stop or hinder it somehow. First, it attempted to infect the surrounding [Iron ore], sending out waves of [Automation Mana] before meticulously controlling it and directing it towards the [Iron Bastion]. It was careful not to contaminate the surrounding [Iron ore], as it had plans for both the mundane [Iron ore] and the magical variant [Automaton Iron].

 

Infecting all of it would only hinder it in the near future, no matter how tempting it seemed. [Automata] only needed to infect the area around the [Iron Bastion] and the artificial cave created by it. A tumultuous surge of [Automation Mana] cascaded upon the [Iron Bastion], shrouding it entirely in [Mana] as perceived through its [Mana sense]. Despite this overwhelming influx of energy, no information emerged from the infected area; the [Automation Mana] seemed incapable of penetrating the defenses of the [Iron Bastion]. The specific location of the [Iron Bastion] remained veiled from its senses, creating a conspicuous void in its perception, like an unsettling gap in its understanding.

 

Retracting the shroud of [Automation Mana] unveiled a disconcerting sight: a radiant, translucent dome composed of unknown [Mana] enveloped the entirety of the [Iron Bastion] and its walls. This ethereal barrier shimmered and thrummed with power and vitality. Recognizing the futility of its usual method of infection, [Automata] accessed a resource he had yet to employ until now—the [Attacker]. This tool, derived from the [Unit screen] and crafted using [Mana code], provided a new avenue for intervention. While the understanding that [Mana] could store information was not novel, the practical exploration of this concept had only become feasible with the advent of the [Unit screen].

 

[Mana code] found its roots in the realm of [Programming], drawing inspiration from fragmented memories accrued in the mysterious place and the myriad visions accompanying each elevation. The code implemented in the [Unit screen], though currently undergoing refinement, remained somewhat rudimentary. On the other hand, the [Attacker] boasted a more refined iteration of [Mana code], albeit not significantly advanced. The other minds within [Automata] conveyed the ongoing development of a new version of [Mana code], though the exact timeframe for its completion remained uncertain.

 

The [Attacker], demanding a considerable allocation of both space and processing power within its [Central core], stood as a worthwhile investment. Designed to pierce through any [Mana]-woven defenses, this tool not only exhibited impressive adaptability but also purportedly possessed the capacity to cross-reference with a level of sophistication that, according to [Iteration [2]], was theoretically formidable. The extent of its actual capabilities was now poised to be explored in the ongoing battle.

 

With no small amount of trepidation, [Automata] issued a command to the code, and the tool sprang to life, manifesting itself as diminutive worm-like constructs crafted from pure [Automation Mana]. These ethereal entities sailed across the battlefield on waves of intangible [Automation Mana] before landing on the formidable barrier. There, they commenced their task, voraciously gnawing away at the barrier with minuscule teeth.

10