Chapter [41] – first contact 3/5
175 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

King Osaf raced through the metallic forest with unparalleled speed, the wind whipping past him as he propelled his sleek metallic body to ever-increasing velocities. His form hummed with the surging power of [Mana], the energy radiating from him in palpable waves. As he accelerated, his figure transformed into a silver blur, pushing the limits of his capabilities. With a mighty leap, he soared into the air, leaving the ground below with a resounding boom.

 

King Osaf felt familiar energies from this source of [Mana], it was likely a [Dungeon core], one that was left by his former God, the prospect left him hopeful, perhaps with this there might be a chance to develop back into the golden age he so dearly missed. His people weren't far behind him and would reach their destination in around half a cycle, Osaf went ahead because he sensed rapid shifts in the [Mana], and the great storms of it that perpetually hung overhead were active.

 

His thoughts raced as the world slowed down.

 

That could only mean one thing—a battle was underway between two skilled wielders of [Mana], a massive one at that. He deduced this from the sheer volume of residual [Mana] permeating the air, and that wasn't a positive sign. The increased [Mana] levels implied that more [Traitors] would soon be awakening, and the seal constraining them relied on a scarcity of [Mana]. A sudden surge would significantly weaken the seal.

 

The world stood on the brink of a drastic transformation, but what could he do about it? King Osaf could only save himself and his people. This shouldn't have been an issue, as the voracious storm overhead should have absorbed any surplus [Mana] generated by some unfortunate dungeon. Yet, something was impeding the absorption process for this particular [Dungeon core].

The king, while not an expert in [Mana] like some of his tribesmen, recognized that halting such a phenomenon required a substantial amount of willpower and discipline. All these signs indicated that this [Dungeon core] was unique. If he could form a pact with it and secure passage for his people, their circumstances would undergo a profound transformation. Perhaps they could amass enough materials to restart the [Ritual of Reproduction], a crucial endeavor for him and his tribe.

 

The [Ritual of Reproduction] aimed to bring forth another of his kind through the blessings of the [Iron]. However, the [Iron] present in this world was rusty and impure. Despite their cleansing techniques, his people could only purify the [Iron] enough for repairs. If they dared to use such unclean [Iron] in the ritual, it would likely result in an [Abomination], a creation that neither the world nor his tribe could currently endure. Osaf, however, didn't need to worry about that. His people clung to tradition even in desperate times, a practice that had sustained them for thousands of years.

 

The rust in the [Iron] bore the mark of the [Traitors]' existence, a stain that displeased the very world and cursed them as a consequence. However, this curse had backfired, transforming into a blessing that granted them unparalleled vitality and strength. Dealing with them was a tremendous challenge; even with the best warriors of his tribe, it required at least 300 strong fighters, along with Osaf himself, to take down the truly formidable ones. These [Traitors] also wielded strange [Magics], twisted and wrong in every aspect. Each time Osaf felt them manipulate [Mana] for their foul magic, it left him with an unsettling sense of impurity. Some of them even eschewed [Mana] altogether.

 

These formidable adversaries proved to be the most potent and perilous, their unpredictability and immense power making engagements with them invariably costly. King Osaf, in his remarkably lengthy existence, had encountered only one, a battle that left a scar cutting deep into his very soul, etching a reminder of the encounter across his back.

 

As the world returned to him, Osaf sensed the [Mana] generated from the clash between the [Dungeon core] and the [Traitors]. This mana danced and swirled in chaotic waves, creating a mesmerizing display of energy. Descending from the air, the king's heightened state of thought abruptly ended as the [Mana] responsible for it was depleted. With a resounding bang, he landed at the periphery of the metallic forest.

 

A wave of [Force Mana] rippled outward like disturbed water, a result of his internal technique transferring the force of his descent into the environment. The [Iron] surrounding him in all directions, just a few meters away, were suddenly ripped apart and blown away as the force coursed through them.

 

He briefly and carefully surveyed his environment before launching into another charge, seamlessly harnessing both [Mana] and [Force Mana] to infuse his leap with potent energy. With a thunderous boom, he catapulted into the sky, resembling a rocket in its ascension, its trajectory akin to a comet streaking with incredible speed. The heightened anticipation accompanied his rapid ascent, aiming to swiftly enter the domain of the [Dungeon core]. The distinctive presence of a [Dungeon core] subtly altered the surrounding world in ways challenging to define and made it hard to miss when he entered. Stepping into the realm of a [Dungeon core] immediately triggered an uncanny sense of perpetual scrutiny—a feeling that persisted unless one could successfully extricate oneself, a hard task when the dungeon itself resisted any attempt to depart.

 

He hoped it wouldn't come to that, for King Osaf was there to assist, not to lay claim to the [Dungeon core] for himself and his people. Diplomacy wasn't his forte, but he understood the significance of first impressions, particularly with an intelligent [Dungeon core] like the one he was approaching. Upon entering the [Dungeon core]'s domain, he had to ensure that none of his actions appeared hostile; any misstep might lead to dire consequences, a prospect he preferred not to dwell on.

 

As he landed once more, he felt himself passing through a thin, ethereal bubble, and it felt as if countless eyes started gazing upon him, he extended his senses and spotted the [traitor] instantly, he shot towards and called upon his personal [Metal Mana] forming two twin blades as he ran.

10