Chapter 16: Uncertainties and Opportunities
79 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Glad you could make it," Ehno said as the remaining three members walked into the room.

They had reverted to their normal appearances so that they wouldn’t be linked to their disguises.

Once they shut the door, Ashnah let go of Ken's and Naia’s hands, which dropped the disguise on the two.

Ken's white hair turned back to the color he dyed it, black, as did Naia’s light blue hair, which turned purple, along with their eye accents.

They were wearing sweatpants along with normal outing shirts with plaid colors to look like they were walking around in sleepwear.

Meanwhile, in the room, Seneca was at a table near the only window, which was directly across from the door.

Reiki was sitting on the bed closest to him, while Ashnah and Naia took the other bed.

Ken took the chair, which was across from the second bed and next to the TV, leaving Ehno at the table next to Seneca.

“This could break our cover, so there should be a good reason you called us here,” Ashnah said.

She was the de facto leader of the trio, as she had the most experience in undercover missions.

“I’d assume with your experience there'd be no cracks in your disguises, but yes, the reason you’ve been called is urgent… Boss.”

“Yeah, a change in the plan has occurred. If things go right, we could be in for a huge reward, killing two birds with one stone.”

“It’s as he said. Another offer has come. Our last client had enemies who learned of his desire for the drug and offered a counter-proposition. Kill the Yakuza and gain 10 million yen.”

‘W-What!’

“Indeed. So after discussions, this is the plan. Things will go accordingly. We approach as if we're interested in buying the drug, along with asking if he has any others. If he asks why we want to know so much or questions what we really want, we tell him that we need something to dispel Ken's permanently active griotique quirk.”

The boy ignored the pang; his heart just went through, 'Lowblow man.'

“After he responds, we either buy Trigger or every drug that seems powerful. After we acquire it and any others he has, we kill the guy. After passing the drugs to our first client and then to the head of our second, we take home a total of 16 million yen.”

Ken's mind worked overtime trying to process the amount of money this could be.

Though it was lucrative, almost frighteningly so, he couldn’t help but consider the risk.

“Not that I don’t want to... but isn’t the whole reason he’s doing this because he doesn’t want the first guy to get the drug? If so, then wouldn’t we be double-crossing him?”

A rule Ken had stuck by when he was accepting and dealing with clients.

More money equals more trouble, and even he knows how to pick his battles.

Shrugging his shoulders, Ehno had a nonchalant expression on his face.

“He didn’t ask us to interfere with our first client because he didn’t want our relationship with him to be discovered. That's why he doesn’t want to directly hinder the first client. So, while yes, reading between the lines, it is saying prevent the drug from being distributed, it's not outrightly spoken."

As he said that, the boss flashed a wolfish grin.

“Besides, we're not just a weak organization that will just roll over. We have clients in all parts of Japan who would hate to see us gone.”

As he said so, Seneca passed the three an envelope.

“Your I.D.'s, along with some credit cards. I’ve created a paper trail that isn’t easy to see through. The card has 3 million yen, an advance payment from our client, plus an additional 2 million from the reserves. Don’t be picky.”

‘2 MILLION IN RESERVES!’

The truly scary fact was that it could be taken out so casually, meaning it wasn’t even close to driving them to rock bottom.

“For the next three days, you'll be staying in your hotel rooms. Naia, you’ll act as an assistant and friend who, in these next few days, will cover their expenses and transportation. With that card, you will buy the most expensive and luxurious meals, clothing, and lifestyle for them.”

“You’ll take periodic breaks, which you will spend outside doing activities a normal woman in her early twenties would do with a lot of money. Each night, you’ll be seen leaving their room around 9 p.m., where you’ll settle into your own.”

Seneca spun around his computer, showing a coffee shop that had a line that spun the entire block.

“On the fourth day, you will meet him here. I’ll send the message and facilitate everything. Naia, you’ll be downstairs that day, alone, for backup. We’ll rent the entire place out for the day, and you two will ask for the drugs and follow the plan.”

“If he gives it to you, then we’ll store it and plan to crash the venue he holds later to kill him. But if he delays the retrieval date, then we’ll plan to ambush him on that day. Unless  you get the formula on that day, it's up to you to improvise for any unexpected situation.”

He then typed something in, and suddenly all of the cameras of the street lights were showing on Seneca’s computer.

“I’ll be watching the area if you need anything, so make a commotion if something goes wrong. This will be the last time the two of you meet us until the mission is over or a complication occurs, as it's too important for anything to go wrong.”

An ice cream shop in a mall was displayed.

“If there are problems that need to be discreetly solved or communicated, Naia, you’ll head to the mall and act like you have a sudden taste for ice cream. Reiki will be working part time, and you’ll meet her there.”

“Is that it?”

Though Ashnah said that in a bored and annoyed tone, she was cursing over the information in her mind, trying to memorize every detail Seneca spoke.

“Last thing, in the envelope, you’ll find your target. His name is Kai Chisaki, but he is officially known as Overhaul, and his quirk is earth manipulation. From what we found, his hands must be connected to the ground before activation, so be careful of them; you’ll find more information in there, and after you’ve finished, don’t forget to-"

“Burn the paper, yeah, yeah, is there anything else?”

Now, though, she seemed really annoyed at him, giving every minute direction as if she were a baby, like a mother hen worrying about letting her kids into the wild.

“No, let's make this mission a success.”

Nodding, the two then held Ashnah's hand before calmly walking outside, down the stairs, and through the street, stopping in an alleyway near their hotel.

Changing their disguise and now holding hands with Ashnah, they walked to their building before walking through the back, acting as workers.

Seneca disabled the electrical lock, allowing them to get in, and the three returned to their disguised appearance.

Still holding hands, they returned to the room Ken was sharing with Ashnah.

'Luckily, the workers were understanding of Ashnah’s bluff when she said that she’s “training me” to learn to sleep by myself.’

Ken went to sit on his bed and sat on it as he thought.

‘How troublesome, This mission is filled with uncertainties and unknowns. But the payout…’

His mind flashed back to the huge number of 16 million.

‘Let's make this a success!’

-------------

If you want to read ahead join my Patreon, patre0n.com/DeityOfSlumber

3