Chapter 24
148 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The figure stepped forward, drew back the hood, and revealed a definitely goblin-like face. However, while most goblins were horrendously ugly, this one was strangely beautiful. She stepped forward, between Arland and the hobgoblin, removed her cloak, and turned towards the human.

"Hello. My name is Lyn. I'm pleased to meet you." Her voice was light and airy, like a warm summer breeze carrying with it the scent of flowers and honey.

Arland swallowed hard, "Uh... Pleased to meet you too. Can I ask what this is? You're the condition?"

Lyn nodded, "Yes. Should you win, I'm to be taken by you and cared for, until I can start my own goblin nest. I aim to create one that's beneficial. goblins can and will eat nearly anything, as you know. I'm tired of seeing goblins be treated like pests when they're capable of so much more with the right leader."

Arland sighed - a mistake, given the stench of this cave, "And how do I know your goblins won't turn?"

"I know as a goblinoid, it's basically worthless, but I offer you my word, human. My goblins will not attack human settlements or carriages."

Arland glanced to the hobgoblin, who gave a curt nod, "She say truth. She not break promise."

Arland turned and walked back to his group, "What say you three?"

"She's cute," Nephy said.

"She's still a goblin," Nury put in, "Can she be trusted?"

Alryc glanced at her, "I'll stay with her if we need to. I'll keep an eye on her."

Nury met his gaze, "More like keep a dick in her than an eye on her. I saw that look. You were drooling the moment she pulled her hood down."

Alryc shrugged, "Can you blame me?"

"She's literally a goblin!"

"Goblinoid, yes. But she's far too pretty."

"She's a goblina. Basically a female hobgoblin. It's the same rare mutation. She's the second I've met. I think they're all beautiful," Arland put in. He looked at Alryc and nodded, before turning back to the monsters. He walked back and met Lyn

"We agree then, human. You win, you get me."

"Let's fight, then," Arland replied, drawing his sword and pointing it toward the hobgoblin.

The hobgoblin stomped his foot. He gestured for his goblins to make a circle and they did so, their eyes locked on the humans.

Lyn stepped aside, locking her eyes on the pair.

Arland lowered his stance. Hob did likewise. Time seemed to stretch on as not a single breath was drawn. The cave fell silent.

Lyn raised her hand. Arland noticed the long, shapely appendage. The only hints of her goblin heritage were her green skin and sharp claws. but those aside, she looked... remarkably human... The hand came down and Arland's attention snapped back to Hob.

The hobgoblin darted forward, leading with a club thrust. Arland struggled to parry it, his sword deflected it narrowly.

Arland pushed off the massive tree trunk, sending himself into a backward roll. He came up at Hob's side and lashed out with his sword. The blade bit deep into the skin around its legs.

Arland yanked, but the sword stayed fast. He felt rather than saw the club flying at his side. He released the handle and attempted to dodge.

As his feet left the ground, he felt a dull pain as the trunk slammed into his side. He soared through the air, before slamming into the goblins at the edge of the ring. He felt clawed hands grasping at him until Lyn's voice rang out, "STOP! WE DO NOT EAT HUMANS!"

The grabby little hands released him, shoving him back into the ring. Arland flexed his hands as he stared down Hob. He saw his sword still stuck in the leg.

"Fuck..." He cursed. He drew his daggers and charged in, darting left and right. He saw the club coming from above. He dropped into a slide between its legs, coming up and leaping onto its back. He dug one dagger into the wooden guard there, and slashed with the other, trying to sever the cord keeping it in place.

A massive mitt reached back and grabbed him, pulling him up and throwing him across the cave. Arland spun in the air. for a split second, he felt he was going to die. Everything seemed to slow. He saw Nury, Alryc, and Nephy standing by the entrance. Nury had her hand over her mouth. Nephy had her eyes locked on Nury, her hand on her shoulder. Alryc, for his part, had his hand on his blade, looking ready to charge in.

''I'll be alright, Nury. Alryc, you're a good man. Nephy, thank you for being here,' He thought.

He glanced around to take stock. H was headed for a wall. Hob was still recovering after his throw. Lyn was... Lyn looked... Sad. 'What...?'

Arland let out a breath, then took a fresh one. He felt new power flooding his veins. A strength and resolve he hadn't felt before. He felt light as air. strong as an ox. Rather than question it, he accepted this sudden change within himself.

'I can do this... I've got this. I'll win. I have to. I MUST!' He thought to himself as he formed his plan.

His feet touched the wall, and he knelt to absorb the force, before immediately springing back at Hob. As their gaze met, he saw something new. A dark misty aura surrounding the hobgoblin. Drix. He hadn't seen that before.

"DRIX!!" he screamed as he hit the hobgoblin, knocking it to the ground. He leapt off of it with a backflip, landing a short distance away, "HOB! You're dead!"

Hob started to roll to get back up as Arland flung his remaining dagger, the blade hilting itself within the massive creature's eye socket. Arland ran forward and pulled hard on the dagger that had remained stuck in the neck guard before he plunged it through the remaining eye.

He saw Hob take a shuddering breath. He knelt, "Rest now. Lyn will be safe. You have my word, Hob."

He felt his opponent relax before it exhaled - a foul, putrid stench. Arland held his breath, to not befoul the moment with an untimely gag. He stood and walked toward Lyn, holding his hand out, "Are you ready?"

Nury ran forward, "ARLAND!!" She wrapped her arms and wings around him, forming a cocoon of scales and membranes.

"Don't... ever fucking do that again... you fucking moron..." She said softly between sobs against his tunic. He grinned down at her as he stroked her hair, "Hey, I'm alright... That club barely hurt."

She shook her head, "No... It wasn't that... You... You had wings... You were coated in golden fire..."

She looked up at him, "I was so scared... I'd never seen that before..."

Arland looked at her, then at Nephy and Alryc. They had seen it as well. Nephy smiled and nodded, while Alryc simply sighed and shook his head.

Arland cleared his throat and looked around, "So... What about all these goblins?"

Lyn stepped forward, "I can answer that. Their leader is dead. If you don't handle them... They'll go feral. And a den this size going feral..."

"It would be devastating..."

Lyn nodded, "I can't imprint on them, as they've already been imprinted. I suggest we leave and seal the cave. there's only one entrance. They'll suffocate. It'll be a relatively painless death for them."

Arland looked to his companions, then nodded, "Agreed. Nephy, can you and Nury seal the cave? Alryc, you'll help me get Lyn back."

"I can walk, human. Don't treat me like I'm a child," Lyn retorted, folding her arms across her chest, a smile across her lips.

"As you say," Arland replied with a smile.

They made their way from the cave before Nury and Nephy turned. A quick breath from each and the stone was melted, sealing the cave air-tight.

As they made their way to town, Alryc looked at Arland, "Why did we just seal it like that from the start?"

Arland met his gaze, "I wanted to feel their blood. For Leera."

Arlyc sighed, "Of course. We almost got devoured because you had to get revenge..."

Lyn grinned at him, interlocking her fingers with his, "Don't be so dour. I wouldn't allow them to devour humans. Especially one as cute as you."

Alryc swallowed hard, "Uh... thanks... I guess...?"

Nephy laughed, "I'd love to stay and hang out, but I really should be getting back. I didn't see any signs of the Orc pups in there."

Nury turned and wrapped her arms around her sister, "I love you, Nephrotite. Don't be a stranger, alright? Mom and Dad may not accept us as we are, but I'll always accept you."

Nephy patted her sister's back, "Will do, sis. Alright. I'll see you lot around. Alryc, Lyn is good. Keep her safe. I don't smell evil from her."

Alryc nodded. The group watched as Nephy spread her wings and took to the sky, heading off into the distance.

As she vanished, Arland sighed. He looked down at Lyn, "We should talk. I want to know more about you."

She met his gaze and smiled, "I'd like that. Can I come home with you?"

"You can stay as long as you need. But we don't really have a home. We're adventurers. We stay at the various guild halls and inns."

Lyn nodded as she stepped ahead of the group. She removed her cloak and shook out her hair. "That's perfectly acceptable. I would like to learn about humans. So travel will be good. When you settle down, so shall I."

Arland watched as her silky black locks cascaded over her shoulders, leading his eyes down. Her ears, typical of goblinoids, were large and pointed, sticking almost straight out from her head. She had a soft, rounded face, with full lips and a splash of freckles - black against her green skin.

Further down, her breasts were large for her frame, covered by a black tunic, with a leather heart-plate in place. The tunic was gathered at her waist by a belt. She didn't appear to be wearing any pants. The whole ensemble was completed by the pair of mismatched boots she was wearing.

Arland grinned, "None of that was fitted for you, was it? Why don't we stop off at a tailor and get you a good set of clothing?"

"Thank you, Arland. I'd love that," she replied with a smile.

Arland looked at her with a grin, "It's settled, then. Let's head to town."

Nury crossed her arms and pouted, "You're buying other girls gifts now..."

Arland put his arm around her shoulders, "I'll buy you something too. I know EXACTLY what would look good on you."

Nury gasped and hopped in place, clapping her hands, "YAY!"

Announcement
It's been a little while since I've plugged my subscribestar, so... Yeah, don't forget to go check it out! If you want to support my writing and ensure that these wonderful stories continue for years to come, head on over and check out what's available! The little red button right under here will take you straight there. Even if you can't afford to pay, I do have public posts and a free follower tier as well! I look forward to seeing you all over there!

Also, don't forget to check out Two Faces for a Reader Interactive polled adventure with a Reader Insert Character!

9