15. Not one but many
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zevan had a lot of questions, especially about the Lord of the Dark. What had happened in the past that all the people around him looked terrified? And who was this Lord of the Dark? Why did he want to destroy the world? But he withheld himself from asking anything. Other than his Master and King Harold, he trusted no one and right now, the two men were occupied with other matters.

"You have become powerful." He heard the imposter mumble beside him and Zevan turned around to face him. 

With his eyes narrowed, he glared at him hard, not hiding his abhorrence towards him. How he wished to kill him right away! The man was a menace and his Lord was even worse. They had made everyone's life a living hell.

"You do not have to look at me that way, Zevan." The imposter whispered. "We will soon belong to the same clan."

Zevan quirked his brows when he did not understand his implication.

"You will soon become a follower of our Lord as well once we destroy the world." The imposter kindly explained and Zevan rolled his eyes in distaste.

"In your dreams."

The imposter chuckled all of a sudden and Zevan felt strange as he looked at the people around him.

'How is it that no one heard our conversation?' He wondered. The imposter was speaking to him right in the presence of a crowd. Even though they were whispering, the sorcerers at least should have heard their conversation given their powers.

"Are you wondering why the crowd has no reaction after listening to us?" The imposter stated all of a sudden as if reading his mind and Zevan felt his heart skip a beat.

"I am using a masking skill, Zevan." The imposter explained kindly. "Nobody can hear what we are speaking. Nobody." He smiled in mischief and Zevan felt like killing him right away.

"I see that you have unleashed new powers recently." The imposter continued. "I can sense it from you. Our Lord will be pleased, Zevan. You will be a worthy addition."

"I will never follow your Lord. Remember that." Zevan seethed and took a step towards him.

"We will see, Zevan. We will see."

"Your Lord will never get what he wants and I will make sure of that."

The imposter's smile dropped and his face darkened. But it was all momentary. His smile returned on his lips the next instant and his eyes twinkled cunningly.

"Well, it looks like things will soon turn interesting. I will see you around, Zevan." The imposter nodded and Zevan clenched his fists while his eyes threw daggers at the man who was now heading out of the courtroom.

"Zevan." He heard a voice from behind and he snapped out of his venomous thoughts. Composing himself, he maintained his expression before he turned to see who it was.

"Minister Tyrin." Zevan greeted him and observed him making his way towards him.

"May I have a word with you in private?" Tyrin questioned agitatedly and for a moment, Zevan wondered what had happened for him to behave this way.

"Well, sure. Is something the matter, Minister? Why do you look so perturbed?"

"I will tell you everything soon. First, shall we leave from here?"

"Definitely."

Zevan observed him for a moment with his eyes narrowed before he led him out of the throne room. Even though Tyrin held a higher position than him in the court, he was the Prince's right-hand man and Elion's trusted disciple. So, that made him hold higher regard in everyone's eyes. 

So, Zevan led the way while Tyrin followed him. They did not stop until they were far away from the courtroom and from keen eyes and ears.

"Yes, Minister Tyrin? What happened?"

"Zevan, have you noticed anything amiss recently?"

"Amiss?" Zevan's brows knotted together and he tilted his head while he waited for him to clarify.

"Yes." Tyrin looked around nervously and when he did not find anyone nearby, he leaned closer. "Have you noticed that some of the people you know are behaving like themselves anymore recently?"

Zevan was taken aback by his words and he looked at him strangely. He looked at him suspiciously and tried to read him carefully.

"What do you mean, Minister Tyrin?" He questioned immediately while a thought popped up in his mind. 'Did Minister Tyrin sense something to be wrong with the Prince?' 

Zevan's eyes lit up the moment the thought entered his mind. If it was true, then there were high chances of others noticing it as well and they could handle the imposter together before he wrecked more havoc on their kingdom.

"Zevan, I have recently noticed that some of the people, especially the sorcerers are behaving unlike themselves. Their attitudes changed all of a sudden and shockingly, it is not just one or two but quite a handful." Tyrin explained and Zevan's eyes widened for a moment.

"Change? As in what way, Minister Tyrin?" His hopes crashed. The man was not referring to Prince Jarett. Instead, it was about others and Zevan felt defeated at once. Nevertheless, he continued to entertain him.

"Like they have become wicked all of a sudden. Their eyes hold nothing but evilness." Tyrin explained and Zevan gave him a look that he could not fathom.

"It is as if they are not them anymore but imposters." 

Zevan felt the entire world spin at his words and he finally understood what he trying to convey. The truth hit him hard and he felt suffocated.

Prince Jarett was not the only one. There were others as well who had been subdued or killed and their places were now being taken over by imposters. The truth was hard to digest but it was not impossible. 

"How many people?" Zevan questioned once he gained his composure back.

"At least three."

"Are you sure, Minister Tyrin?"

"Definitely." Tyrin nodded before he froze suddenly. His forehead creased and he looked at Zevan dubiously before realization dawned upon him. "Who did you..."

"I know about someone as well." Zevan nodded. Just when Tyrin was about to ask him more, he shushed him immediately.

"Let us go somewhere else, Minister Tyrin. This place is not safe for us to have this conversation anymore."

0