1. A bolt from the blue
66 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of the swords clanging filled the air while the people trained in the arena. Even though the cool breeze blew, gently caressing their faces, their perspiration refused to disappear and sweat trickled down their forehead and neck.

The arena was divided into two sections. While the warriors trained on one side, the mages took over the other section as they engaged in battles with their own kind.

Every now and then, explosions reverberated in the arena. But the people remained unfazed as they continued training. To them, it was a daily occurrence, a practice they had been following for years. 

Meanwhile, in one of the rooms behind the arena, a group of youngsters stared at the two men before them with admiration and concentration. 

The older man, who was respectfully called Master Elion had a puissant aura around him, compelling everyone to look at him in reverence. With his hands behind his back, he stared at his audience with poise and mannerisms that commanded respect. His silence was unnerving and the youngsters fidgeted in their seats as they waited for him to speak.

Meanwhile, the younger man whom they fondly addressed at Elder Brother Zevan was an eidolon they admired and worshipped. While Master Elion held a solemn expression, Zevan flashed a mischievous smile and winked at them. His playful self eased their nervousness a little and they smiled back faintly.

"As you were intimated, we are here today to start with your training." Master Elion started the very speech the youngsters had been waiting for since the time they had been selected by the royal army. "You have all the necessary knowledge. Master Thalos has bored you enough with all the talk. We have no intention to put you to sleep." The youngsters laughed at his words and their nervousness eased all the more. They relaxed visibly and the man observed everyone, waiting for them to completely let go of their inhibitions.

"From now onwards, you will seek guidance, cultivate your powers, and embark on the journey as you join the royal army, not as warriors but as sorcerers." He continued and darted a glance around him, making sure to meet each youngster in the eye.

"You are under my tutelage and you will follow my instructions until you are here. You will have just two chances and after that, any kind of disobedience will not be tolerated. You will be thrown out and barred from joining the royal army. Am I clear?" He shouted, sending the youngsters who had eased a little to stiffen immediately. His words were filled with caution and a threat and the youngsters were wise enough not to question him when his orders were clear. He would be merciless when the time called for it and no one could make him change his decisions.

"Yes, Master Elion." The youngsters shouted as they focused on the man who commanded all attention to him.

Being one of the strongest sorcerers in the kingdom of Meadel, not just the people, even the King himself respected the old man. He was intimidating and the aura around him screamed of power and ability. The youngsters feared him and respected him at the same time and none dared to disobey him for after the King and the Prince, Master Elion held absolute power.

"Zevan will assist us during the training and I am sure you would love to hear his experience as you cultivate your powers." Elion glanced at the young man who was smiling mysteriously as he stood a step behind him. "Zevan, do you have anything to say to the youngsters?"

Zevan was thinking about the food he wanted to have for lunch when Master Elion called him out, breaking him out of his delicious trance.

"Master?" Zevan questioned in confusion. He knew that his Master had called him. But he had failed to listen to what he wanted. He had slipped into his food fantasy the moment his master had started his speech.

Master Elion narrowed his eyes at his vexatious yet beloved disciple, almost glaring at him in annoyance. "I asked you if you have something to say to the youngsters here. Perhaps a word of motivation?" He prompted, suppressing his irritation for the time being.

Zevan scratched his head as thought about him. "Umm.." He cleared his throat, awkwardly standing beside his Master who had not shifted his gaze away from him even for a moment. The disciple broke out into a cold sweat when he realized that he had angered his Master. But he did not know how to overcome the predicament he was in either. 

Grinning sheepishly at his audience, he came up with only one thing he could say at the moment. "Good luck, everyone."

Elion felt his blood boil at the chap's lack of enthusiasm. But he controlled himself, silently making a promise to deal with him in private later.

"Now, I will pair you up based on your skills and you will duel with each other. I need to know the extent of your powers and what you are capable of before I proceed with the training."

Master Elion picked up the register and went through the names slowly. However, just when he was about to call the first pair, a sudden thud beside him shocked everyone.

"Zevan!" Master Elion yelled in fright as he stared at his beloved disciple collapse to the ground before he lost consciousness.

Dropping the register back on the table, he knelt beside Zevan while the others in the room stood up. They too were terrified to see Zevan fainting suddenly.

"Zevan, what is wrong with you? Wake up." Elion shook him lightly but there was no response from the chap. 

"Zevan…" Elion stopped moving when Zevan frowned before he opened his eyes slowly. 

For a moment, he did not know what had happened. But the next instant, he jumped to his feet, shocking the poor old man beside him. 

"Zevan, what is happening? Are you fine?" Elion looked at him in concern. Zevan was a prankster. But never had he pulled off such a prank before him previously. So, him losing consciousness was a serious issue and Elion was worried to death.

"Master, we need to go to the east gate right now." Zevan's eyes darted around in panic, his tone laced with worry and haste. 

"Zevan, what…"

"Master, something precarious is about to happen. We need to leave now." 

Before waiting for his Master's permission, Zevan ran out of the room. 

Elion looked at the young man's silhouette in disbelief. His frenzied actions were incomprehensible and his heart shook when he recalled Zevan's words. Without further adieu, he faced his audience who had been stunned into fearful silence.

"Please stay here until I return. Nobody is to leave the room without my permission." He ordered, his tone strict and compelling before he vanished from the place.

Unlike Zevan who had rushed to the east gate, his master had used his ability to teleport and he reached the place before his disciple. But he could not detect anything amiss. The watch guards were patrolling the place as usual while a group of sorcerers engaged in a friendly battle far away. 

Zevan was not surprised to find his master waiting for him. With his ability to teleport, Master Elion could go to any place he wanted within moments. Panting heavily as he made his way towards his master, Zevan looked around him in apprehension. But he could find nothing different. 

"Zevan, will you tell me what happened to you? Why did you run away without clarifying the matter?" Elion probed, his patience running thin slowly. He was still baffled by how his disciple had reacted all of a sudden.

"Master, I saw a dead body."

"Dead body?" Elion frowned and he turned his body so that he was completely facing Zevan. His disciple now had his complete attention.

"Master, I saw a dead body. No." Zevan paused and shook his head. "It was two. I saw two dead bodies, right over there." He pointed at a spot, his hand trembling in trepidation.

Elion followed his hand and looked in the direction he was pointing. "Zevan, you must have been mistaken. Why will there be dead bodies here?"

Barely had he finished speaking when without warning, a lifeless form plummeted from above, crashing to the ground with a sickening thud followed by another thud.

In the spot Zevan had pointed now lay sprawled two dead bodies, twisted and broken.

0