8. Messenger in the dark
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The entire kingdom of Meadel was mourning the deaths of their brave soldiers. In just two days, they had lost more than two hundred people and it was the second most devastating incident they had ever faced since the kingdom was founded.

Zevan stared at his fellow mates with whom he had engaged in friendly battles in the past. The beautiful memories came gushing back to him and his lips arched involuntarily. However, they were lying on the ground, cold and lifeless. 

Zevan felt an intense rage bursting through him and he saw red. A desire to end all the people who had harmed his fellowmen emerged in him and the chaotic thoughts in his mind became more profound. 

Even though he was filled with rage, he still held onto his sanity. The intense change in his emotions stunned him and he clenched his jaw to suppress them but in futile. They were fighting for dominance against his will, making all his attempts to control himself inefficacious.

Eventually, Zevan succumbed to his emotions, and the next instant, he felt the air around him swirl. Suffocation attacked him, making it impossible for him to breathe. A stifling pain made him grit his teeth and he closed his eyes as he tried to reduce his anguish.

But it was all momentary. The pain vanished as quickly as it had arrived and Zevan opened his eyes slowly, only to be startled when he saw nothing darkness around him.

"Master?" He shouted. But there was no response. 

"Your Highness? Your Majesty? Is anyone here?" Again, there was no response and Zevan felt his heart drop.

'Master Elion?' He tried to mind link his master. All he got in return was silence.

'What is this place?' He wondered with a frown. 'And why is it freezing in here?'

Zevan held his palm. But he could not produce any fire. With a frown, he tried again, only to meet with the same result. 

'Strange!' He thought and focused on another of his abilities. But they too were unusable. None of his powers worked anymore. He had become powerless in a blink and Zevan was now utterly scared. He felt a drop of sweat roll down his back even though it was biting cold.

Zevan attempted to move. But he felt restrained. Although he did not sense any shackles on himself, he still could not move from his spot. His entire body from down below had been rendered immobile.

'What the hell is happening! Where am I and why can I not use my power?' He screamed in his mind, his body trembling in fright. Zevan was petrified and as time passed, his fear only amplified. He was helpless, restricted, and powerless. What an amazing and perfect combination of vulnerabilities the sorcerers dreaded to have the most!

"Interesting!" He heard an unfamiliar voice resound in his ears and Zevan stiffened instantly. The voice was calm, clear, and gentle, just like the still water in a tranquil lake. 

Zevan's nerves calmed down instantly much to his surprise and he gaped around him stupidly even though he could see nothing.

"I never thought someone so young and inexperienced would be sucked in here when all I was looking for was someone otherwise." The voice continued.

"Who are you?" Zevan questioned, his tone turning gentle and cautious too even though his state of mind was anything but calm. His thoughts were on mayhem and he could not control them anymore. It was as if they had a mind of their own.

"Aren't you a curious kid?" The man stated with amusement and Zevan pursed his lips in dismay.

"Where am I? Why am I here? Why is it dark and cold here? What do you want of me?" Zevan fired a series of questions at the man whom he could not see.

"You are one impatient kid." The man sighed and just as he had pointed out, Zevan's patience was running thin slowly. "Let me answer your questions before you snap. We do not want a kid going rampant here, do we?"

Every time the voice called him a kid, Zevan felt his mind explode in fury. If it was any other place or time, he would have hunted down the voice and showed him his might. But in his helpless and powerless state, he could only stay still and endure it.

"This is the abyss I have created for you, although it was not exactly for you. I was looking for the most powerful person in your kingdom and somehow you ended up here. It sure is fascinating." The man started explaining but eventually ended up speaking to himself. He did not realize how his answer had rendered Zevan disconcerted.

"Did you just say you created this abyss?" He asked for clarification, shaking his head to dispel the possibility of it being all his imagination. "I am not hallucinating, am I?"

The man let out a chortle and Zevan's lips twitched in dismay. 'Was what I said something worthy of evoking such a reaction from him? What is funny in that?'

"You are a hilarious kid." The man said once he stopped speaking. "And to answer your question, yes, I created this abyss so that I could summon someone from your kingdom, someone to whom I could convey a message."

"What message?" Zevan's curiosity got the best of him and his mouth ran before he could stop it.

"I prefer to answer your other questions first before we come to this."

Zevan rolled his eyes. Nevertheless, he still waited for him to answer his questions.

"The abyss is cold and dark because that is how I am to the world."

"I do not understand." Zevan made an expression that said he was waiting for him to elaborate.

"And you do not need to understand."

'Then, why did you even answer me? Your vague reply did not answer my question at all.' Zevan complained silently but did not dare voice out his thoughts. Although he did not know who the man was, he was under his mercy. The man's abilities were evident and provoking him at this stage was not a wise choice. Anything he said could trigger him and send him to a point of return and that was not something he wanted to experience ever. 

"You already know why you are here. I want you to convey a message to the people of Meadel. This is just the beginning. More people will be dying and it will not end until the entire kingdom of Meadel is painted with the beautiful color of blood."

Zevan's face morphed in horror and his eyes widened, reflecting his emotions at that moment. All his irritation vanished and he was left with nothing but uneasiness and a sense of foreboding.

"Who are you?" His voice shook and he was barely audible. But the person heard him.

"Let us just say I was the one who orchestrated the tragedy that fell in Meadel and will continue to do so in the future as well."

0