Chapter prelude: If Not Out of Pity
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This is where it will all come from… A place of origin, one might say.

A world for all that is within, will become nothing but curse and falsehood to the world to come. The one that will soon be blamed for something it has denied… A sin that the world has proudly held above its own heads.

 

But, at least, the world was once solely admired for its beauty, for such magnificent natural greenery vistas it has to offer… And for all of the trees and grasses, a number of little wooden shrines, as well as civilization products; smooth stone pile walls beyond reason yet mossy lofty structures. While of course it can’t be denied that the vast majority of them have crashed to the ground, still, all actually added nothing but to its own beauty.

Where the ears could tell that it was a calm and desolate atmosphere with just the subtle sound of ornate strands flapping someplace as the wind was bold…

That from a distance appears to be a world with medieval domestic design; but a lot more astonishing as it is the work of nothing but witchcraft. Other than that so much of the exterior wall is covered in pure white handmade shawls… Something the residents there used to consider as a sign of sanctity of the building wherein they dwell.

~~~~~

 

Though there was no meaning for a world that would forever perish to still have a name, the place itself was once called Slythia.

 

A dimension… Which has the full aspect of a universe apart from there’s only a single planet, sun, and moon in one set. Where it’s fully created, stood firm by magic for no one can harm it… Or so they themselves claimed.

 

Alas, after more or less being created for a thousand years it appeared like everything was already on the verge of collapsing, all of which happened in just a month.

 

With every tiny settlement that had been demolished had had all of its dust drenched and joined to the soil, while the remainder of the major cities can still be seen from a distance; billowing black smoke amidst the crimson sky as a portent of a fresh death…

 

And should eyes approach the dead city's core, the clean sheet shawls will begin to alter to one stained scarlet with blood and byproduct of the fire; nearing the previous battleground that is still heated even after the combat has ended… At least that's the only place where one can hear the voice of a being who is still alive, although perhaps not for long.

~~~~~

 

That’s when someone's sigh of anguish is suddenly filling the silence at the onset…

For it was a man in his perforated silver armor, who slowly retreating away from something he was confronting. As blood drops from the gaps; he cautiously peered up, sighing more heavily. Because there he saw the sight of crows encircling only the corpses; along with the sky after the fight that was truly red at twilight…

 

He was the last to die after being preceded by millions of his comrades all through the world… Where the gods and goddesses had died in the same land as them also.

 

Perhaps he was ashamed to be the last one to die…

 

Or perhaps he was saddened by the bodies of his own gods and goddesses at his feet. his face showed it so…

That it was with such sentiment that he began to kneel. The sound of his pained breathing had also vanished.

The one he fought against had now won.

 

The one Primordial God…

 

A towering shabby-clothed man, wrapped in an old gray cloak that fluttered with the wind. As his body appeared to be radiating a distorted aura that negated the presence of the surroundings; in its shadow, the magical red blade he carried in his right hand looked to be producing friction within reality.

 

Where the figure stood silent far ahead, waiting until the last person to confront him was no longer moving after death had overtaken him.

 

“At the very least, you know you died for a reason…”

 

He turned his body around with that gentle voice… Walked towards a little wooden shrine, letting his blade slowly disappear into the shade of countless red butterflies.

 

Along the way, the primordial god reminded himself that this would be the last shrine he examined throughout Slythia's entire surface.

That he has lived an incomparably monotonous existence for trillions of years, only to not miss a single one of the millions of wooden temples built in that small world. As he was certain that one of the aforementioned temples must have kept the hidden key or at least a weapon that those who claimed to be gods had; to escape from him once and for all.

 

But even though he was doubtless of his own telepathic capability, now it appears that the millions of thoughts he read from some of those people he killed were only decoys.

 

Because the wooden crates were all empty, as there might be no one knows which of their own plans is the actual deal…

 

What everyone was thinking before they died was that they needed to protect each one of the shrines and not allow anyone to touch anything inside and all other similar notions. All of those memories appear to have been altered; even inside the mind of the person who cast the spell.

 

Yet, to him, the primeval deity, it was merely a little oversight which he admitted. As he always knew what to do when one of his hundreds of plans yielded an answer; regardless of the outcome…

 

That was the reason he glanced off into the distance.

 

He knows just where to go…

~~~~~

Abode of Dog:

BOOK ONE - RELINQUISH

Chapter Prelude: “If Not Out of Pity”

 

There when those eyes of hers slowly opened…

 

Of a little girl who just woke up in such a dark place.

 

While judging on how tenaciously she maintained her position, and knees which she was hugging… It appeared that the space was quite small but still enough for someone her own size to hide in.

 

Where there was only dimness other than a tiny vertical glimmer from the gap between the two wooden doors she peered through.

There she hoped that out of the door would be someone waiting for her, but she knew that would be impossible…

 

As the only reason she awoke from her deep slumber was that there were no other living beings in her whole world but her.

 

Or at least, it was the oath she took from the same spell that had put her to sleep…

~~~~~

 

Recalling how she realized that the demise of the last of his kind was linked to how her eyes opened; another light grabbed her attention from something she grasped in both hands… The two glass bottles are similar in appearance; except that one is blue in the right hand and the other is yellow.

 

Realizing such, the girl should have rushed off starting minutes earlier. But when she closed her eyes once more, it appeared like understanding her goal was something that needed to be done…

 

After all, it had been a long time since she last heard of those commands.

 

So she repeated their voices once more.

~~~~~

 

“Get in, and do as we said before!”

 

“But fear not, just as many of those small shrines we've put across the world, the same number of these wooden boxes dot the plains. That the moment you fall asleep, you will no longer be here; nor in any house's wardrobe…”

 

“You will become someone who both exists and does not exist… Someone who exists everywhere but nowhere.”

 

“No one will be able to foresee which wooden box you will wake up in the minute you fall asleep.”

 

“Then you will keep these two vessels together for the rest of your life…”

 

“As both are needed to save the world, justify any means to reach whichever shrine is closest to your sight when you wake up.”

 

“Reach for the offering box inside the shrine, pour both and pray fervently.”

~~~~~

 

She cited the echoes of the remembrance to be instilled in her heart… The little girl then nodded as she realized she was ready.

Opened the thin wooden door, crawled out and took a few steps forward.

 

She cast a peek back…

 

Observing the wooden box gradually transforming into bright white shards from the edge until it vanishes altogether; generally occurs after the usage of spell in an object has been exhausted or terminated.

 

But from the remnants of the magic shards, something solid dropped to the ground…

 

It appeared to be a black dagger featuring claw-like serrations on the spine and a small circular hole in its body covered with a tiny, somewhat red translucent glass ball.

There the little girl's face pale in surprise when she reaches for it…

 

Something she feared she couldn't be forgiven for if she forgot.

The only gift from someone who’s the purpose for which she is willing to make sacrifices for a world that despises her.

 

Something that was said by the boy before they parted ways in that world, in such an impermanent doom…

Words that sent shivers down her spine…

 

A whisper that seeks to defy everyone's plan, sympathy from someone who dared to battle the world for her own sake; so she should also do the same.

 

Remembering the reasons for her battle; the little girl then prayed while holding the dagger as many streaks of light began to circle around her body. Just enough to tell that a spell had been successfully cast on herself…

~~~~~

 

Shortly after, the faint sound of rushing feet filled a broad prairie at dusk…

 

No one there, nothing except the sound of grass being trod on; while the wind whistling as if it's colliding with something unseen, but unfortunately the feeling she had was not…

 

It caused someone to be amazed from elsewhere…

Though he wasn’t actually but somehow presently standing there, waiting as he believes he must battle for the umpteenth time; but instead senses a vulnerable being trembling…

 

Sure enough, slowly, the invisible girl’s steps dropped from the one before. Till the sound of those weak strokes on grass finally decided to just stroll carefully, revealing her appearance out of the magic she borrowed from the dagger; directly in front of the wooden offering box within the shrine…

 

As hand reached forward, only to discover that her finger had touched a fissure in reality; which gradually spread until it ruined his whole vision of the actual surroundings.

 

It was dark then she saw, standing in the middle of the emptiness, an old wardrobe made of wood; a similar box that had been in which she had slept and woke up in just moments ago. But the girl realized that everything she saw, including the darkness and everything in front of her, was just an illusion. Still that didn't make her the least bit calmer.

 

Just as when from the shadow around, the echoing voice came to her…

“Tell me… How does it feel like?” It asked. “For thousands of years, they locked you up… Alone in a paradox.”

 

The girl followed her instincts to ignore the wooden box in front… Then turned around to see how the darkness slowly grew deeper in her eyes.

For the only thing left she could do was to hear the darkness speaking…

 

“That they erased everything about you off this damned world. Completely as if you had never existed, as one of them… As a friend… Even for that one specific boy… As a lover… Tell me, how do you accept that reality?”

 

“Of how they sacrificed your own whole existence, just for them to gamble… To get away from me…”

 

“......”

 

One figure of a towering guy gradually emerged from the gloom.

He moved lightly towards her, yet each of his steps seemed to shatter reality.

Where his eyes shone somewhat crimson, looking downwards…

Staring at the little girl below him…

 

“Their abomination…”

 

That low voice he conveyed… But still with so much amazement for nothing more than the courage the little one had; that he still kept in his heart, yet his remarks were a far way from all of those emotions.

 

As the distance between them was neither too far nor too close, and a few seconds passed in silence as if they were waiting for something… For the illusion of the domain to eventually fade away, returning both to reality where the girl was before.

 

Just became the reason for the two of them's long hair, which had previously stayed undisturbed, suddenly waved in the chilly breeze of the green meadow, with fire and destruction in the backdrop.

 

Only then did the little girl's expression become dismal and sorrowful, as if her playing time had come to an end right in front of her eyes…

Who then lowered her head, but not to cry at what had happened.

 

She was well aware of how immense the power before her was…

She knew the probability she had of winning if that weak body of hers didn't turn around and run, but… If she really could escape so easily, what would that be for?

 

No matter how far and fast she runs, how much time will she have before the monster in front of her finally manages to find her a second time?

Even if that logic alone wasn't enough, the little girl should have understood that giving up right away would be much better than anything she didn't have time to consider…

 

Yet there she is… Not even thinking about those matters above that a weakling like her should worry about, instead slowly raising her right hand to the side of her neck, as if she was reaching for something that wasn't hanging on her back; but slowly it actually appeared…

~~~~~

 

At first, only a few blue sparks broke out slowly…

 

With their light crept to form the outlines of a magical armament, a one-handed sword that is almost translucent but blue in color. Thin, straight, slightly resembling a katana. Just the blade and hilt are one without borders…

 

But this one primeval deity, was the one who had seen the same thing for over billions of times... Who had also killed humans and gods in precisely the same number, who just knew that it wouldn't offer anybody the tiniest chance of prevailing against him.

 

Yet the sharp thing that five seconds earlier couldn't even be found anywhere, was now magically held up by the girl towards the primordial god.

Where he could clearly see how the tip of the sword trembled either because of fear, or because the thin hand holding it was out of sync with the weight of the magical artifact itself.

Then he asked, “Where does it come from, I wonder…”

 

“Your hope…”

 

Still the girl kept her voice to no one. Which instead of providing herself an edge, the primordial god appeared to plunge even further into inquiry… Just become a reason for why he’s not going to stop her by force; as he tries to convince himself that what he saw was wrong.

 

That’s when he waves an assertion to trouble the little girl's heart, all from things he had just learnt after peering into the girl's memories.

“You know what will happen if you do that, don't you?”

 

Yet far ahead the little one disregarded his question, despite the fact that both of her hands actually trembled.

 

“Ah yes… Yes, you know it very well… That the spell in the two bottles is only for those who have died before you pray.” He said.

The girl comprehended everything the monster uttered… "Perhaps he read my mind," she reasoned. As she had much better causes to be agitated, but she said those words to herself as if she was trying to fool her own fears.

 

“Meaning you will be left alone in this world as its spellcaster. With that in mind, I’m pretty sure that you are…”

The man's thoughts abruptly came to a halt; that made the frail one’s eyes suddenly look frightened by what the man realized when he saw the dagger hanging from her waist, just next to the two magic bottles that had been his target since the very beginning.

 

There in such a short period of time, his heart changes color.

 

As his mind throws up so many views none of which were meant to be understood by anyone, by any existence below his own level; there he appears to be both dissatisfied and relieved while remaining on no one's side. Not even his own…

 

Nonetheless, he wondered as though he was not straining himself just then he asked, “You actually get it, don’t you? That everyone wants you to vanish from the world's rules… To not be one of them. That all of this; the plans they have prepared, each futile sacrifice... The annihilation of your existence is nothing but just a small part of it.”

 

While it makes no difference assuming what the primordial god said was truthful or not, seeing the little girl start to shake her head trying to deny reality, only made the primordial god even more convinced that this was the right path for him to take.

 

That's why he then continued, “Now you should understand that everything the boy has done to you, will only fuel everyone's hatred… Not only towards yourself but also towards that one innocent little boy of yours. Though that bad ending will only happen if you can win against me, so… I'm sorry, my lady. Because anything the boy said to you…”

The man halted for a while.

Recognizing that something he didn't like was about to happen right in front of his eyes; but in the end he spoke to complete what he had begun.

 

“None of that will ever come true… Ever. So why don’t we just-”

 

As expected, the girl was not someone who could just hear and do nothing about words that was an insult to her and her companions. That's when she began rushing, trying to shut the beast's mouth and compel him to retract what he'd spoken…

 

“Fine.”

 

The man, on the other hand, was more than ready to prove that he was in fact on the right path… As he summoned the reality-rending, black and red sword in his hand, he then continued…

“I don’t mind the rough way.”

~~~~~

 

Not even ten seconds had passed.

They weren't even gotten that close either…

 

But she who started the spark had fallen, tripped over her own feet. Rolled and lay prone on the grass and dirt around her cheeks.

Even the bringer of the apocalypse, who had killed everyone in that whole universe with a cold gaze; the one primordial god, had to stop walking for a brief moment… Feeling like something was stinging somewhere around his heart.

 

A feeling of pity…

 

But the pledge, however, remains in place.

That to himself, even though he knew the human body he borrowed would reject it, the Primordial God swore to put an end to his duty. So he began to take another step closer to the girl, accompanied by the sound of thoughts floating in the air; voices without echo that seemed to tremble more and even more with emotions every time he stepped on his feet.

 

But it wasn't fear that the primordial god saw when he probed her thoughts.

 

Instead he found the little girl to be self-loathing…

 

Pounding herself with obscenities and contempt, wondering how she could be so weak and reckless in front of someone who would decide her fate.

But in the end, the girl attempts to compel her own body back to rise. Hoping for an excuse to forgive herself; to strive again…

Until she came upon the correct sentences to say to herself.

 

[“Do it for him…”]

 

[“I need to get back up, and give it a go…”]

 

[“At least that’s all I can do for him…”]

 

[“For everyone!”]

~~~~~

 

“For everyone?”

The primordial god echoed the voiceless girl's words… As it seemed he was quite offended by what the weak being was thinking, up to the point where he had to validate whether or not he had truly heard that correct.

 

“You mean for the sake of those who aim to abandon you, so they might save themself? Who claims that the world would be a better place without your existence… This sacrifice of yours… You really mean it for them?”

 

Annoyed voice sounded just as close as his shadow; which had now concealed part of the blade laying on the grass and the girl’s hand that was holding the hilt of it. So close that it felt like there was enough space between them to put a stop to this conflict…

Yet paradoxically, the primordial god chose to win himself back through another speech.

 

“No.” He emphasized.

“They hate you, and you know it. So tell me…”

Words came to a halt.

 

Despite him being a wise figure, but only after showing his ego, by pressing his foot against the girl's blade on the ground did he want to finish his sentence.

“Tell me the real reason why you’re still trying…” He asked.

~~~~~

 

“The reason…?” The little girl felt confused about something that seemed to her to be quite obvious to the point where she never gave it any attention.

Yet she continued, “As long as my sole purpose is for them, then I will-”

 

“Wrong.” A man’s voice quickly refuted.

 

“Stop talking like you know me!”

 

“But I do know who you are.”

Primordial god accepted her challenge with a smile slowly starting to form.

“Oh you'd be surprised how much I know you better than I know anyone else… Yet why can’t you understand?”

 

The little girl, in fact, refused to understand anything the man was trying to convey; so she then looked away. Seemingly believing the possibilities she had for herself no more, giving the primordial god ample opportunity to keep suppressing.

 

That this time he inquired what puzzled him the most.

“Because you know that it is impossible for you to win in a fight against a real god, yet back there before you slip on your own feet… Why did you run with that sword leveled towards me?”

 

“......”

 

“Is it really too hard for you to answer that one question?”

 

“I cannot give up. Everyone puts their life in my hands, thus I'd rather die while trying…”

[“Yes… That's it. That’s the only reason I have. I’m not lying!”]

 

“I know you’re not lying…” The primordial god answered once again to the words that echoed only in the girl's mind. “You're just giving me the wrong answer.” He clarified.

 

“Alright…”

After making it clear to her, the man stretched his hand out as he finished his remarks… Intending not to touch the girl at all, instead he ordered the grass to get the tiny body of her up only for his sake.

Then he offered, “Let me help you a bit with finding the real answer…”

~~~~~

 

Whether the meaning of what he just said was good or bad, the green tendrils that moved with consciousness still appeared to frighten the girl as the harder she battled, the quicker they rushed to wrap around her body.

 

Yet she knew that the thing isn't all that powerful… Because every time the girl stretched her hand, many of the plant's vines were easily cut off.

She was indeed miraculously lifted and forced to stand by it, but it had absolutely no intention of strangling her, let alone scratching her skin.

As the man seemed to just want the girl to hear him state a fact, “That you little girl, wasn't meant to feel happiness.”

 

“That every single one of you embodies every rule which governs this world. And each name means absolutely what is destined for them. So no, you have no right to dream of a good happy life.” He added.

 

The girl eventually seemed to have decided to stop struggling due to exhaustion.

 

Vines of the plant were also thick enough to prevent her from doing anything anyway; however, her hand, which was straight to the side of her thigh, managed to contact the black dagger's blade which slightly sliced her finger.

 

Whether it was impossible or not, she meant to do something only without thinking about any of it for no one to read… And it wasn't an easy thing, if the girl had to keep hearing what the primordial god had to say about herself.

Furthermore, opposing him will also prove pointless because she has no evidence that what he stated was incorrect.

 

She even hoped that she would be able to hear without having to really interpret anything the man said, but the place was just very quiet and there was only one echo, one source of sound that resonated over the prairie's vastness, the primordial god's raving remained scathing.

As how he told the girl, “Even about friendship, about passion and the yearning to be loved? No… The only reason you live is to make people lose hope.”

 

“That your life will always go on as how you know it. No happiness or even anything. Either you choose to suffer alone, or to make people you love suffer alongside you… As that is your destiny, as that is what you truly are. Nothing but the manifestation of suffering itself.”

 

She swallowed the words whole. As her gaze diverted away from the primordial god; a man who was well aware of any disparity in their respective powers, who appeared content with what he himself had uttered.

 

Not like before but what the primordial god had done and would do to the little girl implies more to him than just siding with her… Even in his opinion, the words he used were something quite gentle that he still wanted to add to with other words that were even more calming remarks.

 

“So… All I wanted to say to you, my lady…”

 

For a moment he hesitated to tell.

But then he felt that it was a must to remind her again.

 

“You are not meant to save anyone.”

~~~~~

 

“That’s why you need to give up… You need to understand all of it, so that you know at the very least, this failure of yours is nothing but only for your own sake.” The primordial god spoke in such a sad tone.

Took another brief moment to breathe then he continued, “Just because you’re doing something good, doesn’t mean that-”

 

“I don't really get your point, but… I've been living the way I've always wanted to.”

A quick remark from the girl that nearly sounded like a lie… But able to silence the beast to the point of sobbing within.

 

“So far I think being with them is a joy… And I’m fine with it. As long as I’m with that boy, I feel like my days are at their best. That’s why…”

 

Something was gleaming someplace about the girl's waist. It turned out she wasn't just spouting nonsense, as the dagger she was clutching seemed to have comprehended the instructions to take an act against the current circumstances.

 

Where it would indeed take some time; but assessing the primordial god's expression, it didn't seem like it would be a problem.

He remained shocked by what he had just heard from the girl…

And what he had yet to hear.

 

As the girl stated, "If you think that the thousand years I spent with him were suffering… If you think that the time I spent was something I didn't deserve…"

 

“Then I’ll take a hundred times more of it…”

 

[“Just to be with them…”]

 

[“To be with him…”]

 

The voice slowly sounded calmer and quieter, and she pretty much used up all of her chances only to let the primordial god understand a bit of her side. But it was just right in time after she vented her emotions, that she disappeared with a flash of white and blue light.

~~~~~

 

Leaving the primordial god alone… Wondering about his own misgivings, where his face seemed to say, "I should have guessed so." Yet he opted not to complain and fell deep in silence instead.

 

Long enough until the wind carried the rest of the sound away from the desolate field; the man then touched his chest as though he was in pain.

“Didn't expect her to say such stupid thing with such honesty,” He confessed.

 

“Yet why does it hurt, I wonder…”

 

“I only tried to make the girl understand that she was actually just being used by everyone, that the world itself was trying to erase her. I just don’t want her to die with regrets about how she couldn’t save those vile people and that’s just all.”

 

[“But why is that the longer I go on with that purpose, the more I want her to prove me wrong?”]

 

[“As if she was trying to make this self believe that she could change those rulers to be a better person.”]

 

[“That she can set the world right… Even if she is on the wrong side of the coin.”]

 

[“Am I… Actually… Wrong?”]

 

“......”

 

“No.”

He answered his own question, right after finally coming to a conclusion…

All of his solo debates…

~~~~~

 

Staring ahead, towards his outstretched hand when he drew a breath. Where his fingers spread like he was reaching for something invisible in front; through a crack in reality, with pitch black in the gaps… But calmly he continued his final decision.

 

As he said, “This isn’t wrong...”

 

“I should be the one who understands it better than any being… That doing something impossible only because it feels right, is nothing but mere poison.”

 

Right when he was talking to himself, an anomaly beyond human senses began to strain his fingers. Perhaps that “something” within the dark fracture in front of his hand was the same thing that was causing the distortion all around the primordial god, or just the other way around instead… Still, what drew the most notice was how they seemed to be pulling each other.

 

As if he were in a tug-of-war with whatever it was on the other side of the crack; but not too long passed, his hand seemed to jolt and then stiffen. Leaving no doubt that he had managed to completely grasp the whole being.

And then she appeared…

~~~~~

 

A little girl resurfaced from the midst of an empty dark space once the primordial god pulled his grip quite hard, eliminating distortions and illusions of the fissures in reality throughout the process. Where then she was thrown roughly, and rolled several times after hitting the ground with her scream of sorrow standing out in the silent setting.

Then her gaze wandered to the grass and dirt she shouldn't have seen at the location where she had previously teleported; appearing perplexed until a shadow approached, drawing her attention to look up ahead… Only to get a kick right in the face, gasping while still trying to understand what just happened.

~~~~~

 

“All of it…”

 

“The joy you feel… Is a mistake!”

 

The sound was so familiar to the little girl; that she even had to draw the magical sword again from her back, this time aiming it at the source of the echoes.

 

As it said, “You are supposed to be the downside of their coin. The one to be feared…”

 

There’s a sight of a blue magical sword being meaninglessly drawn by its owner, for its blade was trembling chaotically…

 

“But look at you!”

 

Sparks erupted; two armaments collided violently, one of which ended up flying away from the user’s tiny hand… Laying on the ground and then slowly disintegrating into fading white luminous fragments.

 

With a nosebleed while her breathing sounds puffed; an expression of terror was clearly visible on her face, yet the monster still hadn't finished shouting.

 

“You look pathetic…! Weak…! Coward…!”

 

The girl reached for something about her waist…

While panting and perspiration trickling down her palms as her black dagger suddenly emitted a blue light with a cloud of chilly vapor surrounding it, then she shouted with fear that could no longer be any greater.

 

“Stay away!!!”

 

An icicle suddenly appeared out of thin air with a pointy end aimed at the primordial god.

 

Yet when she raised the tip of the dagger, the primordial god's palm rose as well; which caused the floating icicle to vibrate since two commands from two different entities collided in the process of forming it.

And as predicted, the huge disparity in their authority forced the icicle's form to crack and shattered and then formed again with its sharp tip slowly forming towards the little girl instead.

 

That not even a second after, he then commanded the chunk of ice to blast forth at rapid speed without any hesitation…

~~~~~

 

The cold wind that froze the atmosphere, as the dusk faded away. Accompanied by the rustling of grass on every slope… Where some of them were covered with the dead bodies of silver-armored soldiers, others were only covered in blood but without flesh.

There, in the midst of it all, in the most deserted area, the girl's ears seemed to be dripping with blood as several strands of her hair on the side appeared to have been cut slightly.

 

Her jaw was firmly closed, visibly traumatized.

Eyes remained wide open until they filled with tears a few seconds later, at which point she dropped her face to try to hide her emotions.

 

But the icicle didn't miss at all…

Only the primordial god himself did not intend to kill the girl in such a way.

That he only wanted to feel relieved when he inevitably had to kill the girl, no matter how unreasonable the methods he would use to achieve the said goal.

Or if it were to be probed, then one would immediately understand that he was trying to achieve it through words and only words.

 

Being the reason for the primordial god said to the little girl, “It is your fault, for how they believe that daring to defy God bears no consequences… Not even a bit…”

 

“Because you cannot instill dread of suffering within them.” He added.

 

Yet the weak one was seen again with a trembling hand; slowly bringing up the dagger back, intending to take on him. Forcing the primordial god reluctantly had to use his sword to smack the dagger out of the girl's grasp, only to be able to clutch her neck without opposition…

 

The girl was lifted high then.

 

“Just give up…”

She was clearly battling with her breath just to have someone encourage her to accept defeat… Until she became even more terrified as so many illusions obscured her vision.

Whether all was created by the primordial god, or indeed it was just her own fear that was devouring her own mind… Yet blood splashing from those who had died, echoes of the screams of pain from those who had no sound, made her feel like she had to do something…

 

[“Let me go…”]

 

“Then say you’re giving up!”

 

Still, the girl shook her head…

 

“Why…? Why can’t you give up on them!? Why can’t you admit… That those bastards are deserving of death!?” The primordial god wondered while stretching his arms higher with every syllable he shouted.

 

[“I… Will… Not…!”]

 

“Then just tell me…!”

He appeared to have run out of patience as his tone became increasingly stern; until finally came his final threat to the girl…

 

“Tell me… How to crush your hopes!”

~~~~~

 

The primordial god was aware that the girl writhing in his hands would be unable to answer his rhetorical inquiry as he then remained motionless, glancing only at her pained gaze.

 

Probably because that was not the first time the primordial god had seen such an occurrence, much to his amazement.

As he seemed to recall something about the girl's face; her swollen eyes that were concealing the tightness that took him to a different place; a whole different vision… A girl with her white hair stood staring out the open window into emptiness, blinding white with nothing outside; but there was still wind flowing from who knows where.

Closest possibility, an illusion from another reality…

~~~~~

 

And if someone were to assert, would they explain that the place was formerly referred to as a dimension beyond the main current, a small universe where the primordial god once awakened for the only and for the very first time… As it was a small chamber that only exists outside the concept of time and space itself; or more precisely, a place where time and space are like nothing more than just some origami paper on top of a wooden table.

 

Where the primordial god imagined the white-haired girl looking back slightly towards him, recognizing the man was daydreaming and then smiling warmly at him… As all the joy passed by just for the second the man blinked his eyes, everything in his own vision was filled with red.

 

The girl and her white hair was also seen now with eyes weeping blood. Until the primordial god's hands caressed the frail body of her, she then forced a smile… Just when he realized something was about to end, her final words to him reverberated.

 

"Save them."

~~~~~

 

Back to the meadows consumed by the colors of twilight…

While the primordial god was still silent with his vacant gaze, the little girl began to breathe a little lighter as the grip of the man's hand was now getting weaker.

 

There both the girl and the crows flying high circled around them, holding back the feeling of curiosity in their chests… Of why would the primordial god prolong his struggle?

As killing the girl in an instant was not impossible, so why did the primordial god spend his last seconds in the twilight for nothing but to torment her?

 

However, the girl's thoughts snapped…

Realizing this was not a moment for comprehension, but rather an opportunity for her to sacrifice everything for an unknown outcome.

 

That's when she stopped her body's thrashing, fell silent trying not to make any suspicious movements as she embraced her own existence as a manifestation of suffering… Then she closed her eyes as if she was preparing for the pain.

~~~~~

 

At first there was only a black dot on her left palm, then it suddenly covered her whole hand. Just like a living ink spread and crawled all over her body, including her face, even almost touching her own eyes. As if she had just paid to obtain; or had received a burden commensurate with what she wanted to manifest, just as his title as ruler is not just a status of ownership, but also a right to exploit the power itself…

 

And just at the same time while the beast was still in his grief, an explosion emerged from the girl's body.

 

A very small radius yet effective magical energy blast; it was a jet of black light that sucked in all the colors around… An anomaly in the form of an explosion with the sound like nothing but anguish screams of many, till they both were flung apart from each other by barely a short. Above all the grass and all living things that have now been reduced to dust and ashes they reside. Still the primordial god remained silent despite something that he felt around his whole flesh…

 

Indeed, he had returned from his absence of consciousness.

 

But he also returned to a body that was no longer the same.

 

A body that had been shattered into tiny black pieces floated intact to its original position. It was as if the few bits of his own body part that had vanished were no reason for whatever was left from him to continue acting as if nothing had occurred.

 

And sure enough, the only reason for such absurdity was none other than because he was the one true primordial god, the only being capable of feeling sorrow and misery to a degree, any humans are not designed to be capable of.

 

As the same goes for how strong his flesh actually is.

That even if there were any other beings who managed to survive the explosion in a probability almost close to zero, still no one would be able to bear even more than a few seconds with the suffering that followed… Considering the primordial god himself realized his mortal body was on the verge of its own death, all only because of the blast itself.

~~~~~

 

At the very least, regardless of the outcome, the girl did not spend even a bit of time extending her fate. As she forced herself to drag that small body full of curses closer to the front of the wooden temple… Reaching for the small box kept within.

 

Where she gently took out both, the two blue and orange shining vials that had been dangling about her waist from before. The little girl then poured one bottle at a time as if spilling even one drop of the liquid from the little box would result in her own death.

 

But unlike what she feared, the blue bottle was safely poured in eventually emptied to the bottom. And the yellow bottle was what was supposed to be the next to go, yet the girl's motions abruptly ceased.

 

Something made her shiver; as slowly behind her, a dim light appeared…

~~~~~

 

Accompanied by some small vibrations on the ground, it was a powerful bolt of lightning that struck right next to where the girl was sitting… Surprisingly collided with a strange defensive barrier surrounding the wooden temple, just a few inches from the little girl's shoulder at the moment of the impact.

Clearly implying that even though the high-voltage flash of light missed its intended target, the girl is not part of what is being protected by the aforementioned layer of magic.

Which appears to be a retroactive, non-physical wall that is open to the naked eye only after a magical type of attack, damaging the invisible spell that hides the protective spell right behind it; a white floating barrier, partially translucent with a hexagonal pattern all over the surface. Yet there were still faint remains of smoke and some of the pattern on the wall which was shaking slightly like a glitch…

A trace of a previous strike from none other than the primordial god himself, far in the distance beyond the dust and ashes; he who had run out of excuses for how his aim had completely missed his one and only target.

He even looked uneasy about it, as his right hand that was extended forward seemed to be shaking violently, so he struggled to bring it back close to his chest by pulling it with his left hand… Staring unsure which part of it was to blame for, but even a child would be able to understand, if only one could look directly into the eyes of the primordial god, of how it was plainly just a mortal's face filled with hesitation he was showing to himself.

~~~~~

 

Yet it was just sad because the girl couldn't see the man's expression through the cloud of dust and ash around the site of her own cursed explosion from before… As the only thing the girl felt from something she couldn't see clearly was nothing but fear and horror. And even the sweat on her palms had slipped the yellow bottle to the ground, making her even more frantic… Still with the same trembling hands she managed to pick up the fallen bottle.

 

Hurriedly tried to open the lid; though before that happened, her right hand was pulled back and up by something invisible that made her scream in confusion. Just right at the same time when the primordial god seemed to stretch out his terrifying-looking hand as if he was grabbing something in the empty air… Possibly using some kind of telekinetic ability or something else similar that could impose his own will on objects he wasn't actually touching.

 

But whatever it was, it seemed like his grip was strong enough to make the girl's hand quite painful, as evidenced by the way she cried and begged for the primordial god to stop with anything he was doing. To the point where she couldn't even get the vial out of her own grasp; instead, a cracking sound could be heard from around the object…

Then the glass exploded as its contents spilled into the ground.

~~~~~

 

[“That way it should all be over now…”]

 

[“Your hope… Along with your vain effort…”]

 

The primordial god babbled in his own mind, yet his smile when he showed his satisfaction did not match any of his increasingly deteriorating condition; about how his very existence was starting to lose its whole miracle, as more and more pieces of his own limbs were falling off and crumbling to ashes. Just the same way his steps looked limping while he struggled to approach the poor weeping girl; who glanced at her own right palms which were covered in cuts from glass fragments and the blood was flowing quickly… That only made the primordial god feel annoyed, so he forced himself to beg, "Don't you cry now."

 

“Haven’t I done all of this just for you? To end the world you have ruined with your hopes… So don’t you cry for It’s all over now, my lady.”

 

Some steps he made, till the primordial god could hear the little girl's sobs more clearly as he pleased at such a very close distance… Who was on his knees, trying to reach out his finger to wipe tears from the little girl's face, though it was a shame because the shape of his floating piece of hand had now fallen off. Turned into ashes and was blown away by the wind, even before it managed to touch the cheek of that being in front of him.

 

Still he looked for another way to console the little girl by saying, “Things will be much better from now on, so worry not. Because, you see, I’ll use another avatar… In this world that I have purified, without anyone getting in the way, I’ll teach you how to become a true goddess. Not like what you are now, but better!”

 

“Just… Just give me twenty or maybe fifty years at most to find a new body. Then I’ll come back to you, bringing order this time… And of course, you will be the chaos.” Said the man with the girl simply remaining silent, taking all of those thorny fruit in as if the primordial god thought that his words just now would make things any better for anyone.

 

But surely instead… Still in her own sorrow, the little girl’s eyes were just vacantly staring at how the dazzling yellow liquid slowly vanished between the dust and dirt below her feet.

Where there she looked like she wasn't thinking about anything…

Not expecting to be able to do anything…

 

“It’ll be a very beautiful world, if I must say… So just you wait here, and-”

 

“Now just shut up already…”

 

“......”

It’s the first time in millions of centuries, to be fair…

So it’s just normal for him; the one true primordial god, to feel confused by those words he had just heard from a being… Especially from such a tiny human like the girl in front of him. Or probably more than that, he even felt like his pride had been violated.

 

To which he proudly corrected, saying, "That… Was hardly a proper thing for someone who just lost to say to anyone, don’t you think?"

 

“Yeah. Right. And for someone who hasn't even won the game yet, you have no right to say anything either…!” The little girl arrogantly defied him by saying such…

That even if it seemed like her mind remained blank as to whatever she meant to do following her insult to the primordial god, it actually happened out of nowhere…

~~~~~

 

When immediately she clapped her hands all together.

As she prays to open the gate of the world; unleashing the spell that had previously been engraved all over the temple's wooden surfaces, despite her being fully aware that half of the requirements were not even present in its initiation… Even if the ritual should never be done in such circumstances.

 

But incandescent blasts of light still erupted from all around the little shrine… And the resulting gale propelled by the currents, still created a vortex while the world's ceiling split then fractured; leaving a massive hole with all red, right in the middle of the night sky.

 

Causing the primordial god to appear both angry and terrified of what he himself allowed to happen; so then he pulled his reality-rending blade, using anything that remained in his left hand and sought to demolish the little temple with its raw power… Yet they were both blasted away by the residual excess energy of the spell cast within the ritual, even before his intentions could ever become real. As it already seemed like that was the only chance he had, since the primordial god subsequently resolved to stop doing anything.

 

Except, there for just a moment he took a gaze at the girl's unfazed expression. Then glanced back to the sky; where he returned to his own terror, accompanied by all the horrific roaring sounds that were created solely by the ritual itself… Until at some point the primordial god thought about shouting at her; but it wouldn't be heard, he assured himself.

 

So instead, the man walked towards the little girl with his thunderous steps which frightened even the grass. But he was also mistaken if he assumed it would scare the girl.

Because in front of him, there she stood, giving the primordial god her side eye with an attitude that said she didn't care at all for what consequences she would get.

For his anger won't change a thing…

And her fear won't make things any better.

 

Considering those facts, the primordial god then fell silent as the roaring sound from the sky and the burst of light had also reached its end… Irritated by how the girl showed her solemn expression; the one who didn't want to make the man to feel any sense of victory over her… Showing that she really is nothing but just an infant who doesn't want the other infant to have things that she can't have herself.

~~~~~

 

And then in the end, out of nowhere, the primordial god conceded a draw…

He didn't win but at least neither did the girl. However, exactly as the primordial god had determined previously, man didn't harbor even the slightest bit of anger in that world that was nearing its end. That there was no grudge in him as it would normally be if a human being were in his own position as the losing side.

And there he just sat, staring at the girl who was dragging herself away from where he was... As he calmly mentioned, “Not only did you fail to save your friends, but you just triggered the end of the entire universe beyond.”

 

“I mean, it’s an imperfect ritual, after all… I guess you know it already, so why should I bother explaining? But still… Sending all of those mindless souls into a world where such enormous power should not be wielded…”

The primordial god let go of his sword while he expressed his displeasure to the girl. As he silently watched her going here and there, scratching piles of dust in many places, intending to look for something buried somewhere.

 

Then she found it…

The dagger in the girl's hand, one that caused the primordial god's eyes to enlarge slightly; as if he was scared of what he was about to witness, where the man then started to get desperate. Trying so hard to find a cause for the girl to abandon her intentions; he then persuaded her by saying, “You know you failed, so you already know what's waiting for you on the other side, right? There will be nothing… You will be the only one who remembers everything,” As they both agreed that it would be the most agonizing end for her.

And the worst fate the girl would ever have.

 

Nonetheless, she readied the black dagger she had just recovered, with the pointed tip aiming directly at her own chest… Intends to stab herself; only after reciting some spells as part of a secret ceremonial procedure that she must carry out without anybody knowing it but her… Or perhaps it wasn't actually as secret as the girl still imagined, because no one else alive in that world could witness what she was about to do to herself. Where the primordial god, of course, was an exception… Though the man still seemed to be trying to interfere, saying, "I'll still be there, you know?"

 

“The place you’re going… Just give me fifty years, or maybe even sooner. Then I’ll take what was wrongly given to all of you. Only then will my vow be finally fulfilled, and after that… Only then… You… And I will…”

 

The primordial god didn't have time to complete his sentence; since without any warning, the girl stabbed her own chest using the black dagger to carry out the spell… Transferring her soul and consciousness to the next realm, where unexpectedly, the primordial god looked like he was in mourning. Nearly sobbing as he bit his own lip, keeping back the anguish.

Only then did he speak inside his own heart with complete honesty, using no other deceptive intentions as he had no reason to share it with anyone…

 

There he said, [“I will set you free, Elioness…”]

 

[“I will not let these eyes… Witness the world sacrificing yourself for the third time… No… Not for those rotten humans!”]

 

[“Just… Wait…”]

 

[“For me… To save you…”]

 

[“Elioness…”]

~~~~~

 

Most likely, this will be the longest chapter, with approximately nine thousand words specifically only for a prelude. (henceforth, the average word per chapter will only be limited from 3k to 6k) because everything I have written here will be an important point for future chapters, so I just feel sure that the content shouldn't be any less than this, but I also feel that cutting a prelude chapter into several parts is also the wrong thing. So there you have it, this will be the starting point for whatever will happen to this novel.

 

English is not my first language, and I'm not too confident about my ability to write in it, but I will try to make the content as readable as possible. But whatever the future holds, I hope you will support me to develop this novel, and I will look forward to suggestions and comments from all of you! 

0