Chapter 35: The Bargain of Sisters
153 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the fire crackled in the hearth, casting dancing shadows upon the walls of the dimly lit chamber, Ms. Daisy, the hag, settled herself before Alex, her demeanor appearing to relax slightly. It brought to mind memories of my grandmother back home.

"Let me tell you a tale, dearie, of two sisters and the essence of true power," she began, her voice carrying a melodic cadence.

I folded my hands on my lap, glancing at the book resting nearby. Its cover depicted a tree with a smiling face, yet the longer I stared, the more the eyes seemed to follow me, like a painting in a museum.

"Selene and Iris, both born of magic, yet their hearts beat to very different drums," Miss Daisy continued, her gaze distant as she delved into the story. "Selene, wise and ambitious. Iris was young and eager to explore her world but was ignorant of it. For you see, their mother had forbidden them from ever leaving their small home in the forest, far away from prying eyes. The sisters grew up in relative peace, but as they aged, they grew bored. Being shut out from the world can drive people to the brink. After many ages, they received a visitor. The first in centuries. We shall call her... Liora."

As Miss Daisy paused to take a sip of her tea, I seized the opportunity to inquire, "Why were the sisters separated from everyone else?"

"That is a question that they themselves had asked their mother many times before, I am sure. Of course, they never really received an answer," Miss Daisy chuckled softly, her eyes glinting with mischief.

"Now, when Liora showed up, the two sisters were initially aloof to the new visitor," she continued, her voice taking on a more animated tone.

Leaning forward, Miss Daisy's grandmotherly demeanor faded, replaced by an aura of intrigue. "Now, Liora took the time to study the two sisters. As these two had been isolated, it did not take much for her to conceal herself using the most basic illusions. Over time, she was able to discern each sister's likes, dislikes, and most importantly, their motivations. Armed with this newfound knowledge, she approached the sisters in a different form—one of beauty that matched their own."

Miss Daisy paused for effect before continuing. "Knowing that the sisters were eager to explore the outside world, she offered them a deal: to let them see the world as they wished, free from the confines placed upon them by their mother, or they could choose to stay their course, powerless to change their fate. Of course, nothing comes free. She had certain conditions."

"What were those?" I asked, curiosity burning within me.

Miss Daisy waved her hand dismissively. "Much like any other deal, a favor owed and loyalty," she replied.

As the word "loyalty" left her lips, a subtle whisper echoed within me, stirring my Fey nature. "Servitude," it murmured.

Miss Daisy continued, "At first, the sisters declined, wanting to deliberate on their decision. Liora, being wise, knew this was the nature of things and allowed it. After several moons, Selene finally approached Liora, ready to make a deal. But she wanted more. She wanted power so that no one could ever dictate to her again."

"What of Irene?" I inquired, my curiosity piqued.

"Ah yes, Irene," Miss Daisy mused, her gaze unfocused. "The little rule follower soon appeared, begging her sister to reconsider the offer. Selene did not understand why Irene would refuse the offer of freedom. Irene, the fool, wanted to remain faithful. She whined and pleaded with her sister not to accept the bargain, claiming that their mother had tried to poison their minds against Liora."

I shifted in my seat, captivated by the unfolding tale, my eyes fixed on the hag as she spoke.

"Selene, knowing that freedom was within reach, wanted to alter the deal even further. This, admittedly, made Liora hesitate. She had informed Selene that the price would only grow steeper if she continued. But Selene wanted her freedom, so she wished for her sister's freedom as well. Irene screamed with rage, but before she could do anything about it, Liora agreed," Miss Daisy recounted, her voice laced with a hint of melancholy.

"What happened next?" I inquired, my curiosity piqued.

"Of course, the price went up," Miss Daisy continued, her gaze still distant. "But as good as her word, Liora granted Selene the power to break free. Without hesitation, Selene shattered her confines and turned to her sister, offering a hand. But Irene refused and turned away. It was then that 'mother' showed up. Enraged by Liora's meddling, she cast Liora out and Selene as well. In that way, Selene gained her freedom, but Irene... well, she is still trapped by their mother, waiting to be let out."

"Why does their mother hold her?" I asked, perplexed by the twist in the story.

Ms. Daisy shrugged, her focus returning to the present. "You would have to ask Selene why. The point of the story, dearie, is that power was offered, and the individual who took it gained their freedom. The one who hesitated remains trapped."

I pondered her words, feeling the weight of their implications. As I contemplated my situation, I realized the parallels between Selene's choice and my own impending decisions.

"I need to think on this further," I murmured, a sense of uncertainty lingering in my thoughts.

Ms. Daisy gave a slight nod. "Take the book with you then. You have a day to decide. If you choose not to accept the gift, consider our terms fulfilled."

It was evident she harbored no genuine intent to aid me. Her motives were veiled behind the allure of power that fulfilling our agreement would bestow upon her. Just as I suspected 'Liora' had similar intentions. She was bound by her word, not by goodwill.

Rising from my seat, I mulled over the proposition. As I turned to depart, a lingering thought compelled me to pause. "Liora never upheld her end of the bargain with Selene. Irene remains imprisoned."

Ms. Daisy's response dripped with bitterness. "Indeed, that remains a stark truth. Even now, 'Liora' persists in her efforts to fulfill the pact."

"Where does Selene reside presently?" I inquired, pivoting to face her.

With a dismissive wave of her hand, the hag signaled to the masked figure now by the door, the book clasped firmly in its grasp. "Take the book and ponder. Our terms remain unchanged."

"Terms are set?" My Fey nature recoiled, a chill coursing through my veins.

I hadn't consented to anything. What was she... realization dawned upon me.

The hag, here and now, sought to establish a new agreement to conclude the previous one. I hadn't agreed to anything yet, but by accepting the book and departing, I would be sealing the deal. She was cornered otherwise. She was obligated to aid me to fulfill her end of the bargain because...

I burst into laughter. "Oh, I see now!"

Misinterpreting my amusement, the hag grinned eagerly. "What the book offers you will exceed your wildest expectations," she promised, her hands trembling with greed.

My laughter subsided. "No, I appreciate your generous offer, but I intend to adhere to the original agreement. I'll be leaving soon, but it's up to you to determine how to honor it." With a nod, I turned to leave.

Ms. Daisy screamed, "You foolish child! Do you wish to end up like Irene? Stripped of choice, unable to alter your circumstances?"

As I walked out I signaled for Lemy and Tiger to follow. As we approached the door, I heard the hag's chair crash to the floor.

"I cannot harm you, dearie, but your friends?" She snapped her fingers, and the masked figure lunged toward Tiger, knocking him back with brute force. Bewildered, I began to gather my power.

"Careful, dearie. You wouldn't want to break the deal now, would you?" She chuckled, her beautiful Elven form contorting with laughter.

The masked figure advanced towards Lemy, who fluttered desperately, attempting to evade its grasp. I reached out with tendrils of power, but my efforts were too forceful, slipping through the weaves of light.

With a scream, Lemy was seized, the figure grasping one of her delicate wings. Tiger attempted to retaliate but encountered an invisible barrier conjured by Ms. Daisy's flick of the wrist, halting his advance.

I felt panic surge within me, and without hesitation, I unleashed my tendrils of power against Ms. Daisy's barrier. To my surprise, it shattered with little effort. "Stop!" I shouted, my voice echoing through the room.

"That is enough," came a firm voice from the door, and suddenly, everyone froze.

8