Chapter 23: The Power behind a Name
255 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning after my private discussion with my father. I woke up to the familiar sound of knocking, a routine beginning to my morning in this Fey world. "Come in," I called, sitting up in bed.

The door swung open, and in fluttered a Pixie, her diminutive size no hindrance to her ability to open the door to my modest dwelling. I should have been surprised by the sight of a creature barely the size of my hand managing such a feat, but in this realm of the Fey, it seemed almost mundane.

Hovering in front of me, Toony, the Pixie, came to a graceful stop. "Good morning, my Lady," she greeted with a small but respectful bow. "I have been assigned by Lord Cheshire as your aide. Several individuals wish to speak with you today." She produced a tiny scroll, unrolling it with a flourish. "Lord Adrian and Tiger, Lord Rabbiton, Lady Frostwhisper, and Lady Sunbloom have all requested your presence at your earliest convenience. Additionally, I am here to inform you that more suitable accommodations have been arranged for you within the Palace." Finishing her briefing, Toony closed the scroll and waited, her wings fluttering softly, casting a kaleidoscope of colors around the room.

"Very well, Toony, let's set some ground rules," I began, fixing my gaze on the tiny pixie floating before me. "In informal settings, you're to call me Alex. Spare me the curtsies and the excessive Fey etiquette unless absolutely necessary. In fact, it annoys me, so make a habit of avoiding it. Secondly, I need your absolute loyalty. If you can't provide that, then you're of no use to me." I held her gaze, waiting for her to process my conditions.

Toony hovered in silence for a full minute, her wings fluttering in thoughtful contemplation. Finally, she spoke in a tone stripped of formality. "Alex, I cannot agree to those terms exactly as they stand. However, I can promise to serve the Cheshire Family to the best of my abilities, provided you don't ask me to endanger myself or my own."

Her response prompted me to ponder. It seemed reasonable at first, but then the loophole in her words struck me. What constituted 'endangerment' could be subjective, depending on her perspective. "Very well," I replied cautiously, "but we need to agree on what 'endangerment' entails. This should eliminate any ambiguity. Agreed?"

Without hesitation, Toony affirmed, "I so solemnly swear to you, Alex Cheshire, by these terms I accept." I felt the weight of her oath, a binding commitment, resonating in the air between us.

"Prioritize Lady Frostwhisper and Sunbloom's summons, then," I instructed Toony, accepting the inevitable weight of these high-profile meetings. Moving over to my sparsely furnished room, I placed a hand on the frame, and my wardrobe materialized as if summoned by thought.

While selecting my attire, a question crossed my mind. "Toony, those little gnomes with the red caps we've seen around, who exactly are they?" I inquired, pulling out a white shirt and black pants to wear.

Toony hovered nearby, watching as I began to change. "They are known as redcaps," she explained. "Not the sharpest creatures, but they are commonly used for menial tasks. The Summer Court often employs them due to their inexpensive labor."

"And are they loyal to the Summer Court?" I queried, slipping into the clothes.

"They're not particularly loyal to anyone," she replied. "They used to serve the reigning monarch a long time ago, but nowadays, they just drift from one job to another. Many see them more as a nuisance than anything else," she added, her tone hinting at a general disdain for the redcaps.

I raised an eyebrow at her use of the formal title. "Arrange a meeting with them, all of them," I requested, struggling slightly with the bra but finally managing it. Noticing the black bra was visible through the shirt, I spotted a white jacket and decided it would work perfectly to cover up.

Toony seemed skeptical. "It might be challenging. Redcaps aren't known for their organization or unity, but I'll see what I can do."

Satisfied with my appearance in the mirror, I buttoned up the jacket. "Do whatever it takes to make it happen. And also," I paused, a new thought striking me, "find me a magic tutor. Someone outside the court's influence, and someone who can keep secrets."

Her expression turned to a frown. "All Fey have some association with the courts, my lady. However, I might be able to find someone less entangled in court affairs, perhaps someone on the fringes. Would that be acceptable?"

Stepping out of the wardrobe, I lightly touched its frame, transforming it into a kitchen. Inside, a loud Pixie was busily instructing a group of creatures resembling miniature skunks. I silently hoped their presence wouldn't influence the taste of the food. "That will be acceptable. Arrange the meeting for later this afternoon. I'll start with meeting my Princess first," I directed Toony, who promptly saluted and zoomed out the window.

As I entered the kitchen, the Pixie cook looked up, startled by my sudden appearance. In her eyes, I had materialized out of nowhere. "My Lady! Please, have a seat," she urged, guiding me to an elevated chair. She began to list the menu, but my mind was elsewhere, pondering my next steps in this Fey world.

Realizing a gap in my understanding of those around me, I asked, "What is your name?" The Pixie, caught off-guard by my question, momentarily froze.

"I don't have a name, my Lady. My friends and family call me Lemy," she replied, hovering uncertainly.

"Is Lemy not your name then?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow in curiosity.

"No, my Lady. That is what I am called, but it is not my name," Lemy explained, looking down. Her words left me puzzled. In my world, a name was simply a label, but here, it seemed to hold a deeper significance.

"Well then, I'm going to call you Lemy, and that is going to be your name," I declared firmly. As I spoke, I felt a small surge of power building in my chest, a subtle yet noticeable sensation.

Lemy's head snapped up, her eyes gleaming with excitement. "What do you ask of me?" she inquired eagerly, her tiny face intense with anticipation.

I raised an eyebrow, slightly taken aback. "Nothing in particular. I just find it absurd that you don't have a name."

"Really? Oh joy, I accept, I accept!" she exclaimed, her voice ringing with happiness.

At her acceptance, the small ball of power I had felt seemed to transfer from me to Lemy. A brief flash of rainbow colors enveloped her before vanishing. Her excitement was palpable as she zipped around, barely able to contain her joy. It was becoming clear that Pixies were a highly excitable bunch.

"My lady, my liege, you have blessed me today!" she exclaimed. Her reaction took me by surprise. Something about bestowing a bit of my power had altered our relationship. I could sense her presence distinctly each time she moved, and I instinctively knew that I had the ability to withdraw that power if I chose to. This newfound connection was intriguing, hinting at deeper layers of magic and bonds within the Fey world.

"Now, my breakfast, if you would," I said, refocusing Lemy on her duties.

"Oh, uh, of course, my Lady," Lemy replied, snapping out of her revelry. She hurried back to her culinary tasks, directing the skunk-like fey, who had paused their work to observe the exchange, to resume their duties.

Before long, a plate of food was set before me. It was another meat-based dish, which seemed to be a staple for the Winter Fey. I started eating, and I could sense their anxious eyes on me, waiting for my reaction. As I reached for a second bite, the tension in the room visibly eased.

"This is not bad," I commented casually. "Now, I have a busy day ahead. Lemy, make sure my home is clean and ready for my return this evening," I instructed, setting clear expectations for the day.

Lemy perked up at the command, her energy palpable. It seemed that the smaller Fey thrived on receiving orders, yet I had noticed their tendency to try and bend the rules. "Yes, my lady," she responded enthusiastically, zipping about to relay my instructions. I wanted my dwelling in perfect condition upon my return tonight. Despite the offer to move into the castle, I had resolved to stay put. The tasks I had in mind required privacy and minimal observation, something I doubted I could maintain within the castle grounds. My plan needed to unfold away from prying eyes, and my current abode provided just that.

****

As I approached the Pavilion where Lady Lysandra and Solara were seated, it was evident that the atmosphere would be more relaxed, akin to a day of "Girls talk" where formalities were less stringent. Nonetheless, I performed a courteous curtsy upon arrival.

"Thank you for joining us, Alex," Lady Solara greeted warmly. Lady Lysandra offered a friendly wave in my direction.

"The pleasure is mine," I responded with a bright smile, taking my seat at the table. Soon, a steaming cup of hazelnut-flavored coffee was in my hands, a welcome treat.

"Today has been rather nice, especially after yesterday's hustle. Quiet, even. Let's hope it stays that way for a bit," Lady Solara remarked.

Lady Lysandra nodded in agreement, then turned her attention to me, gesturing towards her ears with a raised eyebrow. I touched my own ears, realizing she was inquiring about my new piercings.

"Ah, I got these done yesterday. Purrlyn helped me with them," I revealed, deliberately dropping Purrlyn's name. It was a strategic move, taking a leaf out of the book of advice I'd been given the previous evening. I watched their reactions closely, curious to see if the mention of Purrlyn would elicit any notable response or shift in the dynamic of our conversation.

The brief pause in their reactions was subtle but noticeable. I took a sip of my coffee, allowing the silence to linger for a moment. My new sapphire earring, a recent addition replacing one of my old ones, caught the light gently. The original earring, a gift from the goddess, was safely tucked in my coat pocket.

"She did a decent job then," Lady Solara finally remarked, breaking the silence. "Just be sure to keep them in for a while, or you might need to have them redone." I nodded, acknowledging her advice.

"May I ask a question?" I ventured, slipping into a more passive demeanor that I found more comfortable, despite the newfound confidence from the previous night.

"Of course, we are here to teach and guide you," Lady Solara responded, her smile warm and inviting. Lady Lysandra gestured subtly, her interest piqued. "We heard you spent some time with Lord Adrian after yesterday's event."

I blinked, slightly caught off guard. "Yes, I did, along with Tiger. We discussed various matters. Adrian was filling me in on the political intricacies of the Fey," I said, my hand making a twirling motion to indicate the complexities of Fey politics. I noticed Lady Lysandra's smile wane a bit.

"Oh, we had heard it might be about something more... personal," Lady Solara added, her tone shifting as she placed her cup down, her hands resting elegantly in her lap. A flicker of alarm crossed my mind. Did they know something I wasn't aware of? Were they aware of my discussion with Father?

Confused, I met their gaze. "What? No, our conversation was strictly about politics, Fey society, and Purrlyn," I clarified. Not lying but not telling the whole truth either. A half-truth.

Lady Solara, sensing the change in the air, leaned forward slightly. "Alright, let's discuss this then," she said, her voice taking on a more serious tone.

12