Chapter 25: Meeting Ms. Daisy
220 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I stepped out of the shack, I took a deep breath, my heart swelling with triumph and relief. I had been nervous about whether or not I could pull off the negotiation with the Redcaps, but now, I was glad to have succeeded. With them on our side, I felt a bit more confident about Purrlyn's security. Bound by our word, I knew the Summer Court would face at least one formidable obstacle, yet I was aware that more allies were needed.

I had originally ventured into town to make an important appointment. Turning to Toony, I asked, "How's the time?"

Toony glanced at the sky, then back at me. "You can still make it if we hurry," she replied.

Following Toony through the lively streets of this unique city, we crossed a bridge between two giant trees. I made the mistake of looking down and nearly froze in fright, but I managed to push through to the other side. Toony smirked at my fear of heights but chose to remain silent, a decision I was grateful for.

After awhile we came to a building inside a hollowed-out trunk of one of the giant trees. This singular structure, distinct from the others, bore an unusual symbol over the door, resembling a snowflake or frost set against a black backdrop.

"We are here, my Lady. A word of caution: be respectful," Toony advised before quickly zipping away, leaving me to navigate this new encounter alone.

I reached out to open the door, but the moment my hand touched the handle, a sharp pain shot through it, causing me to recoil. The handle, an unassuming piece of polished wood, seemed to be enchanted with a protective spell.

Frustrated and a bit rattled, I examined my hand, finding it unharmed but still tingling from the shock. I glared at the door, my patience wearing thin. In a moment of impetuousness, I channeled a bit of my Fey energy into my foot and kicked the door sharply.

The instant I exerted pressure, the door yielded, opening inward in a manner that defied my expectations. I gazed at it, my expression one of sheer disbelief. In defiance of all practicality, this door, which should have been pushed to open, swung inward, its handle now seeming more like an ironic decoration. This small, illogical detail sparked a flicker of annoyance in me.

With my teeth slightly clenched in frustration, I silently cursed the Fey for their penchant for the nonsensical, which never failed to irk me. As I stepped through the now-ajar door, I endeavored to suppress the rising irritation, but it was a challenging feat.

I had braced myself for another dim, foreboding room, a setting the Fey seemed to favor for their ominous theatrics. But, contrary to my expectations, I entered a serene waiting area. Various Fey were seated, exuding a calm demeanor. The room was simple, no other doors or windows in sight, just the entrance I had come through, which now appeared significantly smaller than it had just moments earlier.

Across the room, a mirror hung on the wall caught my attention. In it, my reflection waved at me. Confused, I spun around, half-expecting someone behind me, but found no one. Turning back to the mirror, I pointed at myself, only to see my reflection roll its eyes. Then, to my astonishment, glasses materialized on its face, and it peered down at me over their rims. Huh, I didn't look half bad in them.

Approaching the mirror, I was even more startled when my reflection spoke. "Welcome, do you have an appointment?"

"I'm here to see Ms. Daisy, on court business," I responded.

My reflection gave a nod of understanding. "I see, but here, everything requires an appointment. To meet my master, please go to the counter behind you to schedule one." After imparting this instruction, my reflection resumed its normal appearance.

"What counter?" I questioned my now seemingly ordinary reflection. A sigh of exasperation escaped me as I turned around, only to find that the waiting room had transformed into an area with a desk. There, a small green fey was busy organizing papers. Her features were striking – a long, pointed nose and large eyes that dominated her face.

"Good evening, dearie. Please be patient, I'll attend to you shortly." Her voice was gentle as she tidied a stack of papers before meticulously arranging some writing utensils. I waited, a model of patience, but she seamlessly transitioned from rifling through a drawer to revisiting the papers. It was becoming clear that this was another of their games. I stepped closer to the desk.

"Oh, not yet, dearie," she chided gently. She fetched a few scrolls and placed them on her desk, then produced a tiny blade to break their seals. My waiting continued,
a deliberate prolongation of the moment, as if to test my patience further.

"Ah, thank you for your patience. How may I assist you?" she finally inquired.

"I'm here to meet Ms. Daisy," I replied.

"Ah, certainly. Let's schedule an appointment for you. May I have your ID number, please?" she asked, reaching for a fresh piece of parchment.

"ID number?" I echoed, a mix of confusion and surprise in my voice.

"Yes, your ID number. You should have received one before coming here. Without it, I'm afraid I can't proceed with scheduling your appointment. Please join the line again and return once you have your ID number," she instructed briskly. With a snap of her fingers, I was back in the waiting room.

Surrounded by a chorus of sad smiles, it dawned on me that I wasn't alone in this absurdity. "Ridiculous," I muttered to myself, feeling a mix of frustration and camaraderie with those around me. I turned my attention back to the mirror on the wall, a familiar yet enigmatic object in this strange room, and approached it once more.

"Welcome, do you have an appointment?" my mirror image inquired once again.

"I need an ID to meet Ms. Daisy, but it's urgent," I explained, emphasizing the urgency. "I was told she would be here." Understanding my situation, my doppelganger waved a hand, and suddenly, a piece of paper materialized in their grasp. They extended it through the mirror towards me. Hesitating for a moment, I then reached out and took it.

"Tsk, tsk, young lady. You should know you are above such trivialities," a voice chided from behind me. I whirled around to face a towering Fey woman. Her skin was studded with warts, her hair limp as if soaked, her eyes a piercing red, and her fingers ended in long claws. My heart raced at the sight, but I managed to maintain my composure.

I curtsied respectfully recognizing her immediately. "Ms. Daisy, it's an honor to meet you. I am Lady Alex of Clan Cheshire."

"Oh, we have manners, do we? But it seems that's all you have. A rather pathetic display for Winter," Ms. Daisy remarked disdainfully.

She spat on the ground, her tone shifting. "I know who you are, dearie. Your father has already made his terms clear. Now, come with me, your tutelage begins." With those words, she stepped into the mirror, which then disappeared in a puff of smoke, taking the surrounding environment with it. Suddenly, I found myself in a treehouse, reminiscent of a witch's cottage from the old tales, complete with all the expected trappings.

"Right this way, dearie," the hag beckoned, gesturing towards a chair.

Ms. Daisy bore an uncanny resemblance to the child-eating witch of folklore, stirring a sense of unease within me. Nonetheless, trusting in my father's judgment, I took a seat, though not without a hint of sarcasm. "I'm sure this is perfectly logical. Why wouldn't it be?" I mused to myself.

"Now Dearie, we will measure your magical affinities. This will allow me to better assess where we should begin your training," Ms. Daisy stated, her expression turning serious. "Your real training, in the magic of the Winter Fey. Not the trifles taught by the Summer Court. We wield magic that wields true power! The Summer Fey are too preoccupied with their trivial pursuits."

Her hands started to emit a soft glow as she chanted in a deep, guttural tone. Her eyes, nose, and teeth seemed to enlarge grotesquely, presenting a fearsome sight, yet I remained motionless. Suddenly, I felt a sharp jolt in my stomach, causing me to lurch forward. My Fey Nature, driven by a primal instinct of self-preservation, surged forth, unleashing numerous tendrils of power.

The tables nearby shattered into splinters, and a sickly green barrier flickered as my powers struck towards Ms. Daisy. Another surge of pain wracked my body, provoking an even more violent response from my Fey Nature. I felt my insides contorting, and my breath escaped me.

My vision began to blur, and I struggled to stay conscious. "Come on, Dearie, you are Winter! Surely you can do better?" Ms. Daisy taunted.

As my sight dimmed and panic set in, I felt an unbearable twisting in my stomach. I tried to scream, but no sound came. The darkness was nearly complete when suddenly, a gentle touch on my shoulder eradicated the pain. Through my fading vision, I saw a white figure, resembling a divine version of myself, step between the Hag and me.

This ethereal doppelgänger of mine smiled, tenderly brushing my hair aside, then flicked her wrist towards the Hag. Suddenly the Hag flew back across the room further destroying the furniture. At that moment, my entire world was engulfed in a blinding White Light.

11