Chapter 29: The Cheshire Pact: Unveiling Secrets – Part 2
342 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lord Cheshire's interest was clearly piqued. "The Fey courts are ruled by three deities: Lunaria, Selenea, and Sylvanor."

He made himself more comfortable in his seat, leaning on one arm on the table. "Selenea is the Goddess of the night sky and sunset. She weaves a tapestry of stars and is revered for illuminating the night, a time when Fey are most active."

I stared at the sunset. "So this very moment belongs to Selenea?"

He nodded. "Every moment belongs to all Gods, child. Just because you cannot see something does not mean it is not there. That's one of the essences of the Fey, the unseen, unheard, hidden. Sylvanor, the Green Guardian, is next. He's deeply connected to the natural world and the protection of Fey realm forests. He's commonly revered by Fey and even some humans."

I nodded, understanding. A God of nature then.

"Lastly is Lunaria, the Moonlit Muse," he said, a hint of a smile on his face. "She's associated with the Moon, dreams, and inspiration. She's also the most fierce of the three but can be the most benevolent on a whim."

That made sense. Every time I met my mother, it was in a dream or under a full moon. I hadn't known her name, but now I did. However, the idea of her being the most vicious didn't quite align with my or Adrian's impressions. I turned to face Father.

"You said Lunaria is the most vicious of the Fey Gods?" I questioned.

"Indeed," Lord Cheshire's tone held a hint of mystery. "The Winter Court, a creation of Lunaria, came to be on a sheer whim. We've been known to cause our fair share of mayhem, carnage, even destruction."

"The Winter Court wasn't deliberately created? In my world, winter is just a natural season," I remarked, intrigued by this new insight.

"It was always part of the plan," he responded, a depth of understanding in his voice. "But Lunaria, she reshaped it to her liking. She's always been one to shake things up among the Gods, to meddle with other races. She's a mystery to us, Alex. We respect her as the deity of Winter, but there's always caution in our reverence."

"Have you ever met her personally?" I inquired, curious about his experience with the goddess.

A knowing smile formed on Lord Cheshire's face. "No, but I had a friend who claimed he did. Gave me his word, and you know what that means among us Fey."

"A friend?" I prompted, recognizing the significance of a Fey's word.

"The Hatter, right-hand to King Oberon himself. Eccentric, even by Fey standards. Most of us in the courts maintain some level of control, but the Hatter was truly marked by Lunaria's madness, her chosen."

"Her chosen?" I echoed, recalling the Goddess words to me. 

"That's right," he nodded. "Chosen by a God as an earthly representation, in a way, a piece or part of. Now, tell me, what do you understand about the King's Candidates?"

"They're the ones competing to succeed the deceased King, the central figure of order among the Fey," I replied, piecing together my knowledge.

Lord Cheshire's words carried a note of insight, hinting at a deeper understanding of the Fey. "Indeed, Alex. As Fey grow in power, their control over emotions strengthens. Those of us in the Court, we've mastered this balance. We're inherently chaotic, emotional beings, irrational but not completely ruled by our impulses. Just... persuaded by them occasionally. The lower Fey, however, like your pixie Lemy, they're embodiments of raw emotion. Now that she's named, she'll have some control, but be cautious. She might unwittingly lead you into unforeseen situations."

I nodded, processing this. The Fey I'd encountered thrived on misdirection and games, their nature driving them to play instinctively, yet their power and control were bound by rules – rules they'd manipulate if possible.

"So, the King is crucial to align the Queens, and this order cascades down to the rest of the Fey? It's what prevents the lower Fey from descending into chaos?" I sought to confirm my understanding.

"Spot on, Child," he responded with a hint of pride. "Your friend Adrian and others vying for the King's position are Chosen by the Gods, each reflecting traits of their deity. Adrian, chosen by Sylvanor, is driven by a need to protect the Fey realms."

This information made me think. I had witnessed Adrian receiving Lunaria's blessing, yet what aspects of her had he inherited? This mystery needed unraveling. "I see. So, a King imposes order on chaos, setting boundaries for the lower Fey, who are slaves to their emotions," I clarified.

"Exactly, but remember, even powerful Fey are driven by their natures. You're struggling with your base instincts due to your emerging power. But you're growing, and soon, your instincts will become just another tool at your disposal," he advised.

Ah, that's why it was just a 'phase' in my Fey development, I realized.

In the twilight-draped room, Lord Cheshire's gaze was alight with expectation, his tail swishing like a conductor's baton before a symphony's crescendo. "Now, it's your turn to uphold our deal," he said, his voice a mix of anticipation and solemnity.

Guided by an inner calling, I stepped into the room's heart, where the last rays of the setting sun cast a solemn, golden beam. The world outside seemed to pause, the twilight holding its breath in anticipation.

With deliberate grace, I curtsied, an ancient gesture echoing through time. As I descended, the air around me vibrated with unseen energy. The crests on my chest, symbols of my destiny, came to life, glowing with a soft but intense light that cut through the shadows.

"My name," I began, my voice rising in power and clarity, "is Alex Cheshire." The room seemed to pulse with each word, the crests glowing brighter. "Lady of the Winter Courts, wielder of Moonlight, apprentice to a Hag, and Lady of the Cat's Paws."

A hush fell, the air thick with expectation as I reached the crescendo of my identity. "And I am the daughter of the Cheshire Cat and..." The crests on my chest flared brilliantly, casting a radiant glow that filled the room with an ethereal light.

With a deep, resonant breath, I unveiled the final truth, my voice a declaration of my lineage and destiny, "Lunaria, the Goddess of dreams, inspirations, and the moon."

11