Chapter 17 Scripted Encounter
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   FA Chapter 17 Scripted Encounter

(A few days ago...)

Drekov rubbed his palm along the length of his thighs for the umpteenth time as he waited within the lobby. His back was ramrod straight because of his nervousness. Maybe if he had been more confident, sinking into the backrest would have been a comforting experience.

The robotic AI acting as the secretary had probably already picked up his fluttering emotions from the subtle things he was doing but it didn't so much as speak out or offer any word of advice. Apparently its work was more important.

Of course he wouldn't take the initiative to try and make conversation. These large companies were dangerous for job seekers. He wouldn't even be able to tell if an assessment was already underway... But he was sure that a personality assessment was already taking place, adding to his nervousness.

[Oh! Hi dad! I bet you are quaking in your boots right about now.]

"Jess! Why have you connected to my neural link?! Did you lie to Speck again?!"

"...and what's with your hair!?" 

Drekov transmitted his thoughts directly towards his little 9 year-old. She was wearing her little one-piece blue dress, the one he had bought on her 8th birthday. The image was just a creation through his retinas by his neural link, an augmented reality call so-to speak.

It wasn't a full fledged hologram, one where everyone was capable of observing, but something only for him alone.

[This is the latest trending hairstyle today, dad. When are you coming home?]

His expression softened at the question. He even ignored the sharp pointy hairstyle.

Gazing into those eyes of hers that projected her longing, Drekov had the urge to release a somewhat heavy sigh, but he stifled it. 

'How I wish you were still with us, Jena.' 

"I will be back in one hour. Then we will go buy that fluffy ice cream, okay! Be patient. And you shouldn't trick Speck. You should give her the same respect as you me, okay! If I get a notification about another infraction, then I won't buy you the ice cream!"

With those words he shut off the vivid image that had been within his retinas.

The sigh he had been holding in exploded out after the termination of the connection. Jess was a child who had matured far beyond her age because of the hardships in her life. Drekov was mostly certain that she had contacted him at this exact point in time to try and alleviate his nervousness and uncertainty. She had probably coaxed Speck to give her the full rundown of his personality and insecurities.

'Speck needs to be upgraded. She's a security risk. We have only survived till now because we have nothing anyone would want.' 

But that was easier said than done. Even the suit he was currently donning was the garment he had worn on his wedding 3 years ago.

'My Jess... Wish me luck.'

The conversation had served to calm his nerves. But now, a question was building at the back of his mind about the length of time he was going to have to endure before the interview.

This was the problem with these big companies. They always enacted these pointless tactics of how they wanted you to learn your place even before getting the job.

Since he didn't know how long he would have to wait, Drekov opted to take in his surroundings instead. After all, they possessed an allure only he, a virtual interior designer could appreciate, not to mention the smoothness of how technology had been integrated into the design.

The sofa he was occupying alone was so comfortable, he wanted to melt into it, except that that would be too unsightly. 

Strips of blue light raced along the walls and floor towards the various technological devices like the AI secretary's workstation, carrying energy in the form of pure light. This was a step up from simple electric cables where he lived. This was faster, not to mention its seamless integration into the room's design. 

In contrast to the glowing blue, red was the theme of this room, from the walls, to the biologically alive red carpet, whose various protrusions resembled stalks of grass. They were swaying even without any gust acting upon them, something which had given them away. Of course, if he hadn't managed to have some prior experience with them, he would not have managed to pick out such a detail, about how this carpet was a living breathing organism.

"Mr. Drekov. You can go in now."

He hurriedly stood up on that prompt, straightening out his attire, before making his way towards the red door beside the AI's workstation. The AI too was housed within a unit akin to a human woman, no doubt expensive due to its greater craftsmanship and attention to detail.

-----

Bird song and the sound of moving wind entered his ears. A holographic butterfly sailed right past his face... And yet, Drekov found the task of appreciating this beauty, a pain. Actually, it wasn't a pain, but more of the fact that nothing was resonating with him. He had chosen this specific place for its therapeutic properties, and yet, he found himself failing to grasp inner peace.

Another rejection. He had expected it somewhat, but that had still failed to prepare him for the emotional gloom that had accompanied it. Too many interviews had gone awry, yet he could never get used to the desolate feeling that welled up within his being.

Drekov leaned back into the bench, taking in the holographic construct that had encroached upon reality. It was nestled in a corner of this busking open space within this very building where he taken his interview, just a few floors higher.

"Hey mister, why are you depressed?"

A kid...a kid that wasn't supposed to know the meaning of such a word asked him. This was one of the reasons AI was such a pain when incorporated into neural links at a young age. 

"Where are your parents, little one? Didn't they warn you not to talk to strange men in parks?" 

Drekov decided to tease the boy a little. Maybe this could get him out of this emotional slump. 

"Selena says its okay. You aren't a bad person."

A sigh escaped his mouth. His mouth curved into a line at that. He had been sighing a lot today.

"Where are your parents?"

Ultimately, he gave up on continuing to entertain the brat. 

"Selena, notify the brat's parents to his location." Drekov ordered the AI nestled within the boy's neural link through his.

And just a couple of minutes later, a woman spotting the same brown hair and brown eyes, just like the boy, took him away, but not before thanking him.

"My Jess would have loved toying with this kid."

His eyes sharpened after a moment as he scrutinized the events that had taken place during his interviewing. The bastards hadn't even deigned to at least utilize a virtual avatar, dumping the duty to an AI. Though advanced, no one wanted to be left in the hands of one. It was a sign that the other party was being rude to a high degree.

The thing that ticked him off the most was the fact that they didn't even take a look at his concept designs! Had they just been going through the motions? But then, what had been the point of listing the job?

He had put in lots of hours creating them! Drekov forcefully rubbed his forehead even as his neck fell upon the backrest, directing his gaze upwards, where a holosky complete with drifting clouds cast light upon his retinas.

"Competing with AI is a pain." His thoughts transformed into words.

"AI's a bitch. Everyone knows that my dear man."

The voice caught Drekov off guard, making him jump up from the seat. Had someone just managed to get this close to him without making even a single sound, or startling his other senses?!

Beads of sweat formed upon his head and horror almost took over him. There was a subgroup among humans...a collective of people that Drekov never ever wanted to meet...those Forgers.

This man was most probably one of them.

His heartbeat sped up to levels that caused even his neural link to issue warnings, coloring his vision in a partial red. He had heard enough tales about them to know that the law was beneath them.

Even if the man struck him down here, no one would plead justice on his behalf!

Besides, he had promised her that he would protect Jess! 

Should he flee?

"Why are you looking at me like that? Am just your average stranger."

The man, clad in a grey suit highlighting his thin tall figure said with amusement flickering in his purple petalled pupils. He had long dark hair cascading down his back stopping at the midsection of his torso. One of his legs was crossed over the other, giving off the picture of nonchalance.

Drekov struggled to form any words. The fear was just that debilitating.

"...though, I offer praise to your instincts. You have never engaged in combat but you still managed to deduce that I am Forger."

Drekov still hadn't snapped out of it. Even now, he was still contemplating running away even though he knew that it was futile.

"Calm down man. Am not a monster...(sigh)...it looks like I will have to change tact. I believe you have a daughter... Jess."

The moment the name came off his lips, Drekov's fear vanished instantly, as if a switch had been flipped off...only for another emotion to take over, something far more primal and dangerous, rage.

"Hahahahahaha...now that's more like it! That's what I wanted to see! If you had continued acting terrified after hearing her name, I would have killed you here and now."

"If you have any designs on her, then curb them, FORGER! Everyone has a bottom line. And you wouldn't want to touch mine. I might not be able to win in a battle...but do trust me on this. I will tear off a piece of meat before going to my grave." Drekov's voice lowered in tone and deepened without any conscious effort on his part.

The rage had given him strength. His glare was piercing as he held the man's gaze without flinching or breaking contact.

"I have no such plans. All I am here to do is offer you a deal. If it pulls through, then your daughter's condition will vanish into thin air."

The man's words still didn't put him at ease, but at the mention of Jess' condition, Drekov sat down, though making sure that there was ample space between.

His daughter had a rare genetic condition that couldn't be cured through mundane genetic manipulation. Instead, a Forger was needed to perform the delicate work of rewriting her genes.

"Let me ask you a question, would you die so that your daughter could live?"

"Yes!" 

There was no hesitation in Drekov's answer. The man's purple petalled pupils glowed with acknowledgement.

"But, I must have a thorough grasp of your identity. And contracts must be signed if I am to take on this task." Drekov didn't let down his guard for even a moment. 

After all, he hadn't yet deduced how this guy had managed to pick him out of the others. 

'Could it be from the interview? Those purple petalled pupils are too distinct to be a mere fashion choice. Is it a subsidiary of the Borasaek group?' 

Even as he ruminated upon his thoughts, the AI in his neural link was working in tandem to bring up any information about the man.

Finally, he managed to purse out his identity as one of the sons of the current owner of the business group.

0