Chapter 4 – Ageless Endeavor
155 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The year is now 1009. Mori has reached the age of 14. After doubling his life and constantly practicing control over his cursed energy, Ishin deems it a ripe time to teach him how to use his ability to create ice and form attacks.

Ishin: "Now mori. You know fully well that the technique we have passed down to you is powerful."

Mori looked around at the snowfilled terrain around their village. 

Mori: "Yes..."

Ishin: "However. As much as you hone your technique, there's no real application unless you have a clear goal for what you want to do with your ice. This is where I come in to teach you in what ways you can use that technique of yours.

Mori: "Alright. So I just gotta make my technique do certain things to make it easier to use."

Ishin: "Ho-Ho... a very grand understatement. Here let me show you."

Ishin lifted his hand and focused cursed energy onto it.

Ishin: "Now watch closely with those strong eyes of yours."

Ishin placed his palm on the ground and a sheet of ice formed under him.

Mori: "That's great and all but that's not really something special."

Ishin: "Shhhhh."

Mori focused his eyes again.

Ishin: "Amorphous frost: Frozen Mist."

The sheet of ice that was once spreading across the ground lifted up simultaneously and shattered into billions of pieces.

Mori: Grhh- This mist hurts to breathe in and every breathe feels like my lungs are going to freeze over.

Ishin: "Frozen Mist: Expulsion."

The mist started drifting off with the wind as if there was an anchor lifted.

Ishin: "Now that... that is one of the many applications or I guess extentions to your technique that you must learn to fulfill the gift you have."

Mori: "Then teach me!"

Ishin: So very impatient... "You already know. You saw it with those eyes of yours. You just need to remember everything you saw."

Mori: "But- I didn't see anything besides the creation of the mist itself."

Ishin: "Exactly! All you must do is apply the way you've been practicing with your spirit ki."

Mori: "But how will I manipulate it to shatter into such small pieces?"

Ishin: "That's the whole application of the technique."

Mori: "Oh... I see."

Mori mimicked his father's movements prior to the extension techniques activation and froze over a portion of land that both him and his father stood over.

Ishin: "Now... find away to affect the ice on its smallest level and shatter it."

Mori focused his cursed energy onto the ice and thinned it like spreading butter on toast.

Ishin: The way he uses his spirit ki is far from efficient but it ends the same. We'll just have to work on how he develops further. Only a few of our generations have been shaman. So maybe with his talent he could pioneer our clans technique for future generations.

The mist slowly cracked. Far from uniform like his fathers but after many more cracks it all shattered into small, yet visible pieces.

Ishin: "Beautiful! A few more days and this technique will be mastered!"

As the days passed Mori continued concentration on conserving cursed energy and creating a less stressful way to use the extention technique his father taught him. And by the end of his 8th day honing his technique he nearly perfected it.

Ishin: "Now. I believe you have developed your technique as much as I can possibly teach you. However, there are more techniques to be taught."

Ishin: "Amorphous Frost: Heaven Piercing Spear."

As he finished his chant spheres of ice formed in each of his hands and manipulated themselves like they were water to form sharp spear-like shards about the size of his forearm.

Mori: "I knew ice was dangerous but the be able to use spirit ki to do this..."

Ishin: "Oh but that isn't all it does. You see just because they look like ice on the outside. The smallest pieces of them are moving like water so you can do this!"

Ishin aimed his hands at a nearby tree and without even touching the spears they seemingly launched themselves towards the tree. The initial damage seemed harsh enough as the spears dug into the trees trunk like a blade through a rabbit.

Ishin: "And..... it happens now."

The spears splattered like water no matter how solid they looked and everything touched by the pieces of the spears had grown ice like a fungus spreading its seed across the tree.

Ishin: "As long as you are capable of fully realizing your abilities the only limit for a shaman becomes the scientific limit!"

Mori stared blankly trying to comprehend the seemingly impossible event that took place in front of his eyes.

Ishin: "Don't be too shocked I can almost guarantee you'll be able to do this and even do it better than me!"

Mori: "I hope..."

As the days turned to nights Mori constantly trained in the development to further his abilities and in a blink it was already a month later. 

???: "ISHIN! THE GATHERING CREW! THE GATHERING CREW THEY-!"

Ishin: "Woah. Woah. Calm down Akari. I'm busy teaching about the Ice fortress technique go talk to someone else about them getting stuck in a small avalanch."

Akari: "It's not that this time... it's a ghost. It attacked the gathering crew."

Ishin: I haven't heard of a ghost attacking since the birth of Mori... "Well with your strong light formation technique and Ryza with Amorphous frost like us you guys shouldn't have a problem so why did you run here."

Akari: "It's far from what we prepared for... it feels impossible to even harm. From what I've seen it's closer in power to Lord Noro Nushi than any other we've seen."

Ishin: "Tch- that damned ghost who cursed our entire clan... Noro Nushi. Grab Jin and Kōrin, Mori I think it's time we see your new capabilites in action."

Akari: "You're gonna have to go ahead first. I'm not sure how much longer Ryza will be able to last."

Ishin: All on her own. She's strong and cares for everyone. That's for sure.

Mori: "Wha- What's happening?"

Ishin: "I'll explain to you on the way but for now, we have to time to waste."

As Mori and Ishin rushed towards the explosion of cursed energy away from the village Ishin explained the entire event of the deal the ancestors made with the Cursed Spirit "Lord" Noro Nushi along with the fact that at the age of 25 all third children of the Umbra clans families will die and other info on the cursed spirits domination over the land before its disappearance.

Ishin: "Stop."

Mori stopped in his tracks almost slipping on the ground.

Ishin: "Beyond this hill.. the ghost is fighting Ryza. Do you feel it."

Mori: "Yeah... it's a disgusting feeling."

Ishin: "Seeing how this will be the first fight you'll have and it's with such a strong ghost you'll have to deal with it but... these are what we fight against to protect the village. Let's go."

Ishin grabbed Mori's arm and jumped into the sky, getting a clear view of the fight. Ryza was on the ground throwing Ice spears at the cursed spirit while keeping it away from the gathering crew. The cursed spirit looked more like a beast. A wolf standing on its hind legs with fur-covered human arms and scaley rope wrapping around its entire upper torso.

Ishin: "Amorphous Frost: Heaven Piercing Spear."

While still being in the air Ishin swiped his arm above his head and 10 spears formed around him.  Being launched at blinding speeds not even Mori could see. 

Mori: What the hell... he was holding back when he showed me his techniques!?

As the spears approached the cursed spirit it reached out its hand in front of the spears. The rope extended past its arm encircling the spears and crushing them.

Ishin: This one's good.

As the spears exploded the cursed spirit jumped back as large crystals formed on the ground from the stray pieces.

Ryza: "Huh? Ishin! You came!"

Ishin: "Why would I not come for my sister? Mori, go help the rest of the gatherers and get Ryza back on her feet I'll hold this ghost off until the others come."

Mori: "Alright."

Mori was released from his fathers grasp and rushed towards the group.

Mori: I can't have that beast rush at them again...

Before Mori crashed into the ground he straightened out his arm.

 "Amorphous Frost: Ice Fortress."

Ice shards enveloped Mori's arm and blasted towards the ground, layering into a circular wall with an area that gave everyone breathing room and a defense with a strength rivaling a steel wall.

Mori: "Are you okay Ryza?"

Ryza: "Now that you and your dad are here I have much little to worry about Mori!"

Mori: "You-You think my dad can beat it?"

Ryza: "I can't say he'll be able to beat it... but he can definitely hold it off."

Through the thick and high wall they heard the tremors of a battle.

Ishin: "AMORPHOUS FROST!: Maximim-Output...               Hell Freezing Arrow."

Ryza: One of his strongest attacks this early in the fight!? If the ghost is this strong against him does that mean it was just playing with us!?

Mori looked into the sky and saw an accumulation of icy wind swirling down like a tornado and Mori felt a small amount of his cursed energy being drained along with his ice wall being torn apart and added to the ever-growing tornado. 

Mori: "What the hell is this power!"

Ryza: "When a shaman puts the highest amount of spirit ki into an attack that they can possibly hold without the attack crumbling, its their maximum output. This is one of the strongest techniques a shaman can learn and it took your father 10 years to even handle the power, much less use it. Behold Mori. The true power of a shaman."

As the dust settled and as the ice wall completely disappeared all Mori saw was his father cut and bruised holding an ice bow the size of his body and littered with beautiful designs and a single arrow also made of ice aimed directly at the beast. 

Ishin: "However strong you might be... I refuse to let you harm any one of my villagers!"

As Ishin readied his shot the beasts snout contorted and changed into a mouth similar to a man's.

???: "All you humans are the same... Wind Form: Air Cutter."

Unknown to even the ancestors of the Umbra clan, special grade curses. Ones able to communicate with humans and who even hold their own Cursed Techniques. The Cursed Spirit slashed the air with its claw.

???: "If only you tried harder and all fought me at the same time. You might've had a chance."

Ishin's bow split apart. 

Mori: "FATHER!!!"

Ishin looked down at what used to be his forearms now occupied by emptiness.

Ishin: "I see... I've underestimated this one. How dumb I was, to not even live out my dream of being on top of the world."

Ishin knees collapsed and he fell onto the ground unable to stop the fall. Looking into the seeming eternity that was the mountains snow-scape with a blank face.

4