CHAPTER 3- Companions. Part 4.
40 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a few minutes, we exited the cave. I thought I could finally rest, but another problem presented itself to us.

Two hooded figures were waiting for us. Demons? Evil adventurers? Whoever they are, I shouldn't let my guard down.

"Hope you're ready to die, demon!" the two of them said.

Those voices... children?

The two of them remove their hoods; they're a boy and a girl, around 8 or 10 years old. They have short, brown hair, both wearing black pants and white shirts... They look pretty ordinary to me, and I don't even feel like they're dangerous. What's wrong with them?

"We will defeat you!" they said.

Maybe they think I'm a demon living in this cave. Adventurers?

Even children are adventurers... Are there no laws in this world? It sounds quite sick.

"Well, well. I'm sorry, but I'm not a demon, and I don't want to fight you. Goodbye, I'm in a hurry. I have a date with a plate of food."

"You're not getting away!" the girl said.

"Yes, I am. Do you want me to treat you to something to eat?"

The boy extends his right hand towards me.

"Flums!" the boy said.

Flums? What will that spell do?

Some rocks the size of golf balls come out of his hand, and I dodge them. Are they really planning to kill me or are they just playing with me? It's impossible to defeat someone with this spell! They're risking their lives in vain! If I were truly a demon, they would already be dead!

"I don't want to fight. Please stop throwing rocks at me."

"Shut up, demon!" the two children shouted.

Ah, poor creatures, they probably have some mental illness or something. No one in their right mind tries to kill a supposed demon with simple rocks.

Why are they doing this? Do they really think they can defeat me?

Sara and Alex try to help me, as they approach those children.

"He's not a demon, if he were, you would already be dead!" Sara said.

"Stop bothering and go back home!" Alex said.

Ay. It feels really good to have friends who support me... Ouch! I let my guard down!

A rock hit me in the forehead. It hurt!

I admit I got a little angry. Rude children must be punished!

"Well, well. Alright, you asked for it."

I extend my right hand pointing towards them.

"Flums!"

Some slightly larger rocks, the size of a baseball, come out of my hand and hit them in the forehead... Uwaaaah! I thought they would dodge it! I hurt two children! What have I done?!

T-they both complain in pain and fall unconscious to the ground... I... I made two children unconscious... What if I killed them?!

I'm an idiot! I'll go to jail! I must turn myself into the authorities for child abuse!

"Did I... kill them?" I said, scared and nervous.

Sara checks their bodies. P-please, let them be alive. I don't want the deaths of two children on my conscience.

"They're unconscious. They'll be fine, they just need to rest."

I breathe a sigh of relief... Why did I do that? I'm an idiot. I think being a killer is changing me, and now I act more impulsively.

"I feel a little bad for hitting children... Why did they think I was a demon? I don't even have horns... At least not visible ones."

Sonia cheated on me, but those don't count.

"They probably saw you flying and that's why they thought you were a demon." Sara said.

I guess they'll be fine, the blow wasn't that strong. And there's a village nearby, their parents will come for them... Did I really think of something so irresponsible? I have to take them home.

"I'll take them..."

"No."

Sara stops me and pulls me away from the children.

"It's dangerous, maybe it's a trap. I highly doubt these children attacked you just because, they must have planned something against you. It's dangerous to get closer."

"Do you think they're demons?"

"I don't know, but I highly doubt they're dumb enough to try to kill you with rocks."

Yes, she's right.

It's too suspicious that they tried to kill me with rocks... I have to trust Sara. She's the genius of the team.

It hurts to leave children in this place, but it's for the best. I don't want to risk my life. I don't want to waste lives.

"Well, well. I suppose you're right... Well, let's go."

"Summon the unicorn!" Alex said, excited.

Of course I will!

"Stop!" a girl's voice said.

Eh? Who said that...? Eh?!

Two girls fly in and stand in front of us.

"Hello, nice to meet you. I need to talk to you, Daniel."

I notice that one of them has a pair of wings... Wings... Is she a fairy?

"Are those... wings? Are you a fairy?"

The little one looks at me angrily. Did I say something rude?

"We're both fairies!"

I see that the little one doesn't have wings... Are there fairies without wings? Maybe she's hiding them or something.

"And your wings?"

The girl blushes and looks down... I think I made her feel bad. That blush is embarrassment.

"I... I don't have any."

Perfect, I just hit two children and now I made a fairy feel bad. Is today a bad day for me?

"I'm sorry... Well, well. What do you want to talk to me about, miss?"

She approaches me and I move away from her as a precaution. I just fought with two suspicious kids, I won't trust her, she could be a demon.

"Don't come any closer to me, or it will mean you want to fight."

"I'm sorry."

She stopped... Well, I guess it's safe to listen to her.

"D-Daniel, she is Rose, one of the best witches in the world. We can trust her," said Sara.

One of the best in the world?! Wow... Cool!

"I want to know how you managed to have all types of magic. No one can have all types of magic. You can even use the spell 'Arches Nexus' from fairies."

Oh, sorry.

No matter how important you are, I'll keep the secret.

"It's a secret. You'll know how I did it in about three or four years."

"Are you a demon? An angel? A fairy?"

"I'm just a normal human being."

"A human...? Fufu. My interest in you is growing."

"Well, well. That's nice, but we must go."

I know I might get into unnecessary trouble if I keep talking to her. For now, I prefer to leave and talk to her later. It's only my second day in this world, I don't want more stress, I need to take things slowly.

"Please come visit me, I live in the castle, I'll teach you spells that only fairies know."

Oh, and I didn't even have to ask... She definitely wants something in return. I won't let my guard down with her.

"Sure, maybe I'll come, thank you. Divine horse, come to me!"

The circle appears and the unicorn appears. I hope I'm not bothering him by summoning him.

The two fairies watch the unicorn in surprise and curiosity. Fufu. Yes, I know, this unicorn is beautiful and cool! If they behave well with me, I'll let them ride it later.

"You again?"

I hope he won't reject my request.

"Please, take my companions to the guild, they will show you the way. Will you help me?"

"Sounds simple. No problem."

Sara and Alex get on the unicorn.

"Alright. Thank you very much."

"... You're welcome? You're quite strange, boy."

"I've been told that a lot."

The unicorn runs away.... Riding away? Ah, whatever.

Wow. Cool, it's really fast. It's just as fast as me when I'm flying.

"W-was that the special summoning of the Royal family?" said the small fairy.

"Was it? The King gave me a book with spells and I think that spell was included."

"But that summoning can only be used by people with Royal blood."

I guess I'm a unique case.

"Don't mind me, I'm just a commoner. Arches Nexus!"

I start floating and the fairy woman smiles at me.

I smile back and wave my hand.

"It was nice to meet you. I hope to see you soon."

"Don't forget my invitation. I'll be waiting for you. Cookies or cake?"

"Cookies. Maybe I'll visit you in a week. Goodbye. Take care."

I fly away from there.

She seems good, but also bad... I have the feeling that I can trust her, but not completely.

But one thing I'm sure of, that woman is dangerous.

The fairies watched Daniel fly away and Rose laughed a little.

"Fufu. Even his speed surpasses us. That Daniel is an extraordinary case."

"Sister, he is amazing. Could he be the legendary hero our ancestors warned us about?"

"I don't know, there's something strange, but amazing about him... You told me earlier that you wanted to be an adventurer, right?"

"Yes! Are we going on an adventure, sister?"

"I won't go, you will."

"Eh? Just me?"

(Pov - Daniel.)

I'm flying at a great speed over a beautiful green valley. I deviated from the path just to see the scenery and calm down. I need some fresh air to feel less evil.

"I really like this spell... I think I'll take a few turns around the place," I said, smiling.

I need to calm down... Being deceived still hurts me... But I have to overcome it.

Sonia, you were one of the most important people in my life, it will take me a long time and effort to forget you, but I will... I don't want you in my mind anymore.

20 minutes later, I arrive at the guild, and my companions observe me and approach me.

"It was amazing, that unicorn was really fast!" said Alex, excited.

"Here," said Sara.

She gives me a bag of money.

Wow. It feels good to be rewarded for a job well done. What will I do with my share of the money...? Oh, yes, save it for the orphanage and the village "Cristina," in honor of my grandmother.

"It's 7,000 gold coins. It's your share."

Huh?

7+7+7= 21.

7+7+6= 20.

Who got the 6,000?

"7,000? Who got 6,000?"

"Alex got 6,000 because she helped the least."

I admit that Sara and I weakened it and I killed it, but Alex prevented the dog from escaping.

"Without Alex's barrier, the dog man would have escaped. Besides, I don't need that much money."

I offer my coins to Alex.

"I'll take the 6,000 coins. I'll end up donating the money anyway, so it doesn't matter."

"Really?! Thank you!" said Alex, smiling.

We exchange bags.

"By the way, we have many adventurers who want to be our companions," said Sara.

Oh, are all these adventurers here because of us? I thought this atmosphere was normal at this time of day in the guild.

I see that many adventurers surround us... There are too many... Ah, I'm already regretting it.

"Such a hassle," I said in a low tone.

"To interview," Sara said, smiling.

Sara and I split up the adventurers.

I am interviewing a very tall and fat man.

I'm not good at this, but I'll improvise.

"And are you good with magic?"

A basic but necessary question. I don't need people who only rely on their physical strength.

"Am I good? Haha."

He shows me his card.

"I'm level 20, and I achieved it in just two years. As you can see, I'm a good adventurer."

Are there levels? Like in video games? And it took him two years to reach level 20? Wow. If he's bragging about it, it means it's very difficult to level up.

"Do we have levels?" I said confused, hoping someone would answer my question.

Alex, who is beside me, boasts about her level.

"I'm level 5 in just one month!"

... One month? Ah, she's really a newbie. I would kick her out of the team, but it would be too cruel of me. I have to be patient with her.

I take out my card... It has strange symbols, but I don't understand anything.

"Level?"

I don't understand anything on my card... Ah, I try, but I can't make sense of the symbols.

"Alex, what level am I?"

"You're level... 32?!"

Upon hearing that, everyone focused their gaze on me and started murmuring.

Did I level up that much in such a short time? Awesome! Although I don't know how I did it.

"Well, well. And I'm new," I said, smiling.

I wonder if leveling up so quickly is good or bad. Time will give me the answers I need.

"And what level is Sandro?" I asked, as I'm quite curious.

"I understand he's currently level 192," Alex said.

192, huh... 192?!

Wow, it's much better than I imagined! He would be a great companion, it's a shame he has that disgusting personality. I don't want him near me.

192... I think completing missions raises our level, depending on the danger of the missions.

I defeated a demon, that's why I leveled up so quickly. And Sandro is very young. Considering all those levels, I can only feel admiration for that adventurous side of Sandro. But I can't fully admire him because of his disgusting personality.

Ah, what a shame.

We spent three hours interviewing, some were good, but I didn't like their attitudes, some were bad, but I liked their attitudes. But no one really stood out. They all had only one type of magic and they were the most common ones. Was it a miracle to come across Alex? Maybe God guided her for me to find her. Either way, I'm glad to have her by my side. After so many interviews, I realized how valuable a person with three types of magic is. I will never doubt your worth again, Alex.

"Nothing... I think we only found Alex," Sara said.

Yes, I agree. A few more interviews and I'll give up... Huh? I know that girl from behind.

I pointed at her with my finger.

"Come, please, miss."

The wingless fairy sits at my table.

"Finally, it's my turn!"

I really didn't expect to see her in this place. I thought fairies only lived with royalty and didn't need to be adventurers.

... They don't need to be... Hmm... Suspicious.

"Are you a part of the guild? Since when?"

"I just registered."

Ah, yes, as I suspected. She's behind me, possibly to keep an eye on me and confirm my intentions, to know if I'm a good or evil person.

I'm not worried, after all, I'm a good person, I'm not harmful to this world. On the contrary, my existence is vital for the survival of this world.

She gives me her card and Alex translates for me.

"Liz Grey. She's 13 years old. Types of magic: fairy and wind. Two types of magic, but the rarest ones."

Is wind magic rare? I'll investigate more about it later.

But she's 13, she's too young... Ah, if I refuse, I'll probably get into trouble with the elder fairy. I have to reluctantly accept her.

"A fairy could be helpful... Wait, but why do you want to join? Do you want to keep an eye on me?"

"Yes and no. On one hand, my sister told me to keep an eye on you, but on the other hand, I've always wanted to be an adventurer, that's why I want to join you."

Well, well. I like that she's an honest girl. Honesty in a person reflects a lot about their education and character in general.

"What do you think, Sara?"

"I don't know, they'll keep an eye on you."

I look into Liz's eyes, she seems very enthusiastic. I can't say no to a little girl who really wants to be an adventurer. This job is dangerous, but I'm sure she's powerful, after all, she's a fairy.

"Well, well. Alright, you're an honest person, and I like that. Welcome."

"Thank you!" she said excitedly, with a big smile on her face.

In addition, she could teach me new spells. She will keep an eye on me, but at least I will get something in return.

I extend my right hand and smile.

"I hope we can be good friends. The main rule is: 'Do not fall in love with any team member.' I prefer to avoid the team falling apart because of a romantic fight."

And I also don't want them to fall in love with me... Huh?

Liz looks at me blushing... Damn, I smiled!

"You're very cute."

I blush and look away. I-I have to stop smiling.

"T-thank you."

This is a "problem" I've had since I was little. I'm somewhat handsome and that has caused me some trouble. When I was in school, all the girls would come up to me and ask me to smile, because my smile makes the girls blush, because, according to them, it makes me look twice as handsome. That's something that has caused me a lot of trouble with jealous guys, so they would always hit me. I never defended myself because I didn't want to cause problems for my grandmother.

Ah... I wish I looked more normal.

Ah...

...

...

...

Ah...

...

...

Ahhhhhhh!! I give up!

Two more hours pass and no interesting people arrive. I've wasted too much time, I can't take it anymore!

"I give up!" I say, a little annoyed.

I stand up from the table and remove our sign.

"We're enough with 4 people! Thank you very much for participating!"

Sorry for sounding rude, but I'm a little desperate because of the stress.

The other adventurers leave and I sigh disappointed.

Ah... The power level of humans in this world is very disappointing.

"Daniel, now we need a headquarters, a place where we can gather," Alex says.

A team base? Sounds good, but it sounds expensive.

Plus, we already have a place.

"At Sara's house, obviously."

She already has her own house, I don't think we need to buy a base.

"At my house? My house is small, it would be uncomfortable for all of us to be together."

Yes, yes, I got the hint, Sara.

Mmm... I think we do need a base, but I only think that because Alex suggested it. I suppose that's normal in this world.

"Is there a house for sale around here?"

"Are you looking for a house?" a man says.

An adventurer approaches me.

"There's a very big house for sale nearby, maybe you're interested."

"Thank you very much. I appreciate it."

We leave the guild and look for the house.

I hope it's not too expensive, I don't have that much money right now. If it's expensive, I think we'll have to take on another Rank A mission.

After all, Rank A missions are easy for us... Ah, this world keeps disappointing me more and more.

"I found it!!"

Alex shouts and we gather around her. Wow, wow. Nice house.

"They're selling it for 15,000 gold coins."

I see that the house is very big. It has three floors. Are they really selling a house like this so cheap? Could it have ghosts or something like that?

"I'm surprised that a house of that size is being sold for so little money."

"Why do you say that? That price is a rip-off!" Sara says.

"A rip-off?"

But I think it's very cheap. Why does she say it's expensive?

"It's a lot of money, it's not worth it for us."

"15,000 is a lot? In 2 days, I earned 56,000 gold coins, I think we can spend 15,000."

Are you telling me that I earned enough money to buy three houses like this in just two days? Did I really earn that much money?! Ahhhhhh! The power levels in this world keep disappointing me!

"Mmm... Now that you mention it, usually the reward for exploring a Rank A cave was 500 to 1,000 gold coins. Why did they offer so much this time?"

"I don't know..."

Wait... The dog man was possibly really powerful, and now that I remember, he wasn't injured when he turned back into a man.

That dog man had the ability to regenerate... Mmm... I see...

I remember that the adventurers in this place are very weak, and exploring a cave for a big reward is very tempting. Surely low-ranked adventurers tried to explore it, risking their lives.

And that dog man surely planned to do something in that cave with their bodies... I see...

"Sly dog."

"What's wrong?"

"It's obvious, the dog man posted that request, that's why it was an anonymous request. And when the adventurers entered, he ate them. The dog man had a lot of money, so I'm sure he didn't do it for food, there must be another reason why he did this."

Maybe he made sacrifices or sought to weaken the human race by killing as many adventurers as possible.

"Now that you mention it, you're right, but no adventurer was able to defeat him?"

"Maybe the weak adventurers accepted the mission because they thought it was easy. I've seen several adventurers today and they don't seem very strong. Isn't it forbidden to accept missions that are above a certain rank?"

"It's allowed, but if they fail, they have to pay a hefty fine."

"Yes, that makes sense. The adventurers who tried to complete the mission were very weak."

"Or maybe the dog man was very powerful." - Alex said.

"But we defeated him easily. It doesn't make sense." - Sara said.

"No, the dog man was powerful. Now that I remember, he regenerated when he returned to his human form. I'm sure he was powerful. My sword was able to cut a demon in half, I think it was thanks to my sword that we were able to defeat him."

"It could be."

"Let's continue with the house. Let's each contribute 5,000 to buy it."

"She won't contribute anything?!" - Alex said angrily, pointing her index finger at Liz.

Well, she has a point. She's part of the team, she should contribute something too.

I approach Liz.

"Do you have money?"

"My sister only gave me money to register."

"It's okay. Don't worry."

I'll collect it from her sister later.

We spoke with the owner and bought the house.

The paperwork was simple, so we were handed the keys in less than an hour.

The house is empty and looks very old, but with a good cleaning and furniture, it will look much better.

"It's very empty, we need to buy furniture... Well, I finally have some free time. I'll continue studying."

I take out my smartphone. I need to memorize the spells, I can't waste any more time.

"What are you going to do?" - Sara said.

"I'll look at the other spells. I need to memorize the summoning spells."

I can't always rely on my sword, I need to learn to fight in different ways to avoid being predictable.

I open the spell application.

Alright, I've used the unicorn one. What's the other summoning spell?

Sounds like a spirit.

"Summoning-type spells: "Divine horse, come to me" and "Resurrection espiris"... Resurrection? Do I summon a spirit to help me fight or something like that?"

Liz is surprised and looks at my smartphone curiously. Ah, here we go again.

"What is that?"

"It's my smartphone, I'll explain later."

I touch the spell and read it.

"Well, well... "Resurrection espiris": Allows someone to come back to life. You just have to think of the person you want to resurrect and say the spell. People can only be revived once, if they die again, they can't be resurrected."

A spell that brings the dead back to life?

"Bring someone back to life?!" - Alex said, surprised.

"I've heard of that spell, the Royal family used to be able to use it, but they haven't been able to for a long time. That's all I know, my sister knows more about the Royal family spells than I do."

"Your sister?"

I stare at the spell with a serious look... Bringing someone back to life... Bringing the dead back to life.

Such an... incredible... and fantastic spell.

"Do I need the body of the deceased to resurrect them?"

"I suppose so. I don't know."

At this moment, I can't help but think about bringing my grandmother back to life, but can I resurrect her without her body? Can I resurrect her in this world? I have nothing to lose by trying.

Besides, if it works, I'll be able to see her again. I don't have high hopes, because if I fail, I'll be disappointed and depressed. Daniel, such an incredible spell must have its limits. Your grandmother is from another world and you don't have her body. Don't get your hopes up too much.

But I wholeheartedly wish that it really works. I want to see her again... I want to have my grandmother by my side again.

Whether it works or not doesn't matter, because at least I tried. But please, God, let it work. I beg you.

If my grandmother is with me, I will be much more productive. I need her. Please honor my request.

I extend my right hand, think of my grandmother, and say the words loudly.

"Resurrection espiris!"

... I-it's working. The floor is glowing brightly!

"Is it working?!" - Liz shouted, surprised.

A white circle appears on the floor in front of us, and a young girl in a white dress appears out of nowhere. The girl has long black hair and beautiful brown eyes. She's a very beautiful girl... She's one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen in my life... But she's not my grandmother.

Ah, I should have known. It was too good to be true.

Possibly the spell failed because I tried to bring back someone from another world and ended up resurrecting a random person from this world.

Damn it... Oh, no, calm down, Daniel, you knew this could happen.

"Huh? Where am I?" - She said, confused.

She's not my grandmother, for obvious reasons... I suppose I made a mistake.

"Did I use the wrong words?" I said, hoping that I actually made a mistake in that.

"No, you said it correctly," Sara said.

Ah... I really failed.

"I was thinking about my grandmother, but obviously she's not my grandmother."

"In your grandmother?" the girl said, looking at me.

Yes, my grandmother. Thank her, thanks to her, I gave you back your life... Huh? W-wait... Those eyes... I remember those eyes.

I look at her, the girl resembles my grandmother in the face... She really looks like my grandmother! She's a young version of my grandmother! I'm not seeing things, her face resembles my grandmother's face when she was younger!

The same eyes and nose... She resembles my grandmother.

"Even though she resembles her a bit!" I said, surprised and confused by such a scene.

"She resembles your grandmother?" Sara said.

"Y-yes, s-she r-resembles... She resembles my grandmother a lot if she were young!"

The girl stares at me and approaches me. N-no... This feeling I have when I see her... The same feeling I had when I saw my grandmother... Something I haven't felt since she died.

Since my grandmother died, I've only felt loneliness and sadness, but now that I see that girl, I feel... love... happiness... Is it possible...?

"Daniel? Is it really you?" she said, with tears in her eyes.

...

...

...

What?!

"Are you my grandmother?!" I shouted, surprised and very nervous.

That young girl is my old grandmother?!

6