Ch. 3 Interviews after interviews do exist after all, huh?
120 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I was walking right behind her, staring at her raven black hair, flowing onto her left shoulder, as she spoke to me about where certain facilities were in the building. 

I nodded absently at her words, not even remembering what it was that she said had caused a lot of people trouble. 

During the time when Mr. Special Rank Guy had split us into mentor and student duos, I had been an even more anxious mess than normally, hoping not to be chosen by him. 

Lucky for me, he was the first to choose, and he chose the Nicole woman who was standing right next to me. And let me tell you, when people say the feel a wave of relief wash over them, they aren't either kidding or exaggerating. It really does feel like that.

I was afraid he would take me hunting for a violent ghoul first thing in my job, and would turn out to be some sort of crazy, ghoul-hating extremist. Maybe even a sexist and a bigot. Those types of people are the worst, and he did seem like that, based on the enthusiasm he had around his job, and his kinda old appearance.

Anyway, it turned out I was right. The woman who had spoken out to me before I got my qinque was actually interested in being my mentor. 
She introduced herself to me as Marie Kowalska.

I don't understand why exactly she had chosen me to be her student, and not any of the other two left, who seemed leagues above me in enthusiasm, anyway.

"Jacob? Is everything alright?" She snapped me out of my own thoughts, letting me focus back on the real world instead of whatever I was thinking about. She was standing right in front of a doorframe, while looking right at me. "Did you hear what I said?"

"Ah, sorry, miss, I zoned out. It won't happen again, I'm sorry." I lied straight into her face, after which I looked down and coughed a bit. I'm a pretty good liar and actor, if nothing else. My poker face and faked reactions make up for me being insincere pretty well, at the very least.

"Don't worry, unless it happens in an important place or moment, I won't be angry. Though, I would like it more if you paid attention when I talk." She said turning back around, and reaching for the door handle.

"Yes, I will. I'm sorry." At least saying sorry insincerely wasn't that hard. I've been doing it since I was a little kid, after all. Now that I think about it, I had some really nice straight blond hair, instead of this brown curly mess that came down to the top of my back. I kinda wanted to grow that kind of hair out, instead of the one I have currently. 

She opened the door, and started talking once again. "So, once again, this is my, or rather, our new office. We'll both be working from here unless we go out hunting. Set up your desk however you want. I'll give you some time, leave the room for a bit, and then we'll get to know eachother. Is that okay?"
At least I could answer with my favourite type of answer. A short, one word answer. "Ok."
Marie then promptly left the room.

The walls of the office were that strange and muted greyish yellow, with a brighter rug of the same colour. Two desks, one closer to the door and bigger, the other smaller and a bit more into the back of the room.

The walls of the office were that strange and muted greyish yellow, with a brighter rug of the same colour. Two desks, one closer to the door, and bigger

I took the smaller desk, but since I didn't have anything to put on my desk, I only had to take my qinque off of my belt, and put it somewhere.

As I did so, it retracted back into itself, which surprised me a little. I just put it on the desk, which was a standard dark brown with a computer on its right side, and sat on the chair. 
I then took out my phone, waiting for her to start talking. I looked through some of my social media, just to check off all of the notifications, waiting for Marie to tell me to do something, or start talking to me. 

I didn't want to start reading, otherwise I'd unwillingly ignore her. 

"Are you done with setting up your desk? If yes, then let's sit down and talk. We can also go to the cafeteria to eat and talk there, if you want. 

My best bet not to say something stupid, was to have my mouth stuffed, so I agreed with her notion of going to the cafeteria.

Once there, I finally realised how big a budget the Polish CCG department had. 

There were literal rows of store bought fast made meals, from which you could literally get yourself an entire meal for free every day if you work there, but you also get a huge discount on every additional meal after the first one, when compared to its original price.

This meant that I could keep quite a bit of money I otherwise would have to use on food, and use it on video games and stuff I wanted.

And with the working hours I had, I could spend a lot of time on those things too. 

After asking for a lasagne, which is my favourite food, I sat down with Marie, and started waiting.

Slightly less than a minute had gone by before she had realised that I was already sitting on the other side of the table. A long and arduous, and also very awkward 'less than a minute'.

"Oh, you're already here! Sorry, I was looking at the food options, and didn't notice." She looked guilty. Was she not supposed to look? Was she on a diet or something? Maybe she was just feeling guilty over not noticing me? I'll never know. Not like it matters.

Either way, I answered her with a simple "It's alright, I'm used to it."

"Uhh, so, right. I wanted to ask some questions, do you want to answer them?" Nice swerve from the awkwardness, I guess.

"Sure, but if it's something too private, I won't answer." Setting some limits, done. Otherwise, I'd probably over share and be looked at like a mad person. 
"Yeah, sure, sure. So, hum, why did you sign up for this job?" Straight to the point, at least I expected the worst.

"Money. Nothing less, nothing more."

"Hmm, okay... That's something I can work with. What kind of work would you be most comfortable doing?" Ahh, the best kind of question. At least I can answer it with no problem, since normally you would have to prepare for it to be ready for an interview.

I had to think about it for a second though, just to be sure I wouldn't mess up my wording and come off as rude. That would probably spell an end for any money-making in this. "I'd be most comfortable doing more office-like work, but I guess I could work more physically if really needed."

"I see, and I'm glad to hear that. Next question then-" she nodded, and started talking more before being suddenly interrupted by me standing up. 
"My order's ready. I'll go get it." Wow, I should have at least apologised for interrupting her like that. I really am a shitty person. 

Anyway, I got the food, and walked back to Marie. "Wanna go back to our office? It will be way more comfortable there than here."

I agreed, mainly because I don't like crowds that much, and there was a slowly increasing number of people there. So, we walked back. While I was eating in the office, she asked me a lot of questions and we discussed some things.

At least on the first day I didn't have to do anything. Later though, I started doing quite a bit of paperwork. No hunting yet, at least. 

And that's how it continued through the next three weeks. Paperwork, paperwork, and more paperwork. 

Though that changed after that.

I am so sorry that it took this long to publish another chapter, so thank you to anyone who reads it right after I published it. 


Throughout the last few weeks I had a lot of trouble with my phone, charger, all that stuff. Then, on top of that, I had lost a lot of my motivation due to having a lot of free time. I am getting to more than 1.3k words a chapter though, so that's a small achievement for me.

Once again, thank you so much for reading this, and have a nice day!

5