Chapter 2 – Familia
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Had a new campaign come up, Sakurako? I noticed that lots of our sailors are returning home.” Sakurako’s dad asked.

“I’ll be convening with the Lords later in the evening to discuss it, Primose Prime wasn’t cleaned up thoroughly by the 670th, we’ve already dispatched a messenger to inform them of the incidents.” Sighed Sakurako as she brought the bamboo cup back to her lips for another sip of roasted barley tea, it was almost finished after the long chat with her parents. “The announcement of the incident should be released soon, dozens of settlers perished. Our enemy is brutal and savage, to think there are Terrans who believe these Impars can be reasoned with is beyond me.”

The older woman clicked her teeth, “Oh my goodness, are the rest of the settlers safe at least?”

“The evacuation went fine, my Praefectus’ have coordinated the evacuation flawlessly, but… I really can’t help but blame myself for their deaths. I-If I had ordered a geo-sweep of the surface, the analysts would have found something peculiar about the crust, and the bio-sweep would have been flagged as a false positive! They wouldn’t have had to perish…” cried the Lord, burying her head between her chest and knees. 

“Sakurako, you can’t always blame yourself for every mistake. Like you said, the 670th failed to clear the planet properly before the handover, so many failed before you, and besides, you aren’t even in-charge of the sweeps that the 1056th have to complete.” A deeper voice comforted the Lord, a familiar hand ruffled her hair once again. “The weight of everyone’s responsibilities and mistakes do not lie on your shoulders, they are theirs to bear and theirs alone.”

“Sakurako-chan, we can forgive you as parents, and so can others. But if you pull the mistakes of others into your own hands, then who will forgive you? Especially when you struggle to ever forgive yourself?” Her mother added, pulling her into an embrace. 

“I promise I’ll be stronger next time, for the people.” Sakurako looked up at her parents. “Thank you, mum and dad, I really mean it. I… I need to get going, there’s work to be done. I’ll be back as soon as possible, I promise.” Her parents shared a concerned glance before smiling back assuringly.

The trio came together in the front garden for a hug before Sakurako had to leave. The Lord waved goodbye before disappearing past the front gates of the home. A familiar ticket holding girl ran past her again, she was beaming with joy, this time her ticket was messier, it was filled up. 

The Inter Testudine line soon brough Sakurako to the Kiefernstadt station; the line services a loop between all starboard-side bio-domes, making it convenient for inter-dome travel. Winter had taken hold at Kiefernstadt, the seasonal change made simple by reducing heating and increasing atmospheric moisture content. 

The glistening white crystals beneath her boots crunched softly as she approached a park blanketed in fresh snow, the trees and shrubs having long since shed their leaves. A well acquainted face wearing a winsome smile called out at Sakurako from under the awnings of a baroque-style cottage. 

Taking a seat in front of the tanned figure, the familiar face spoke, “It’s been too long, Sakurako! How has my bestie been?”

“Relatively warm and far from freezing until I got off the train” Sakurako faked an eyeroll. “Must be nice being stationed on the Voluntatem for the last few months huh, Agnes.” Shooting a grin at her old friend. 

“Well not for much longer I reckon, pretty sure this will devolve into a close quarters purge of the Impar.” Sighed Agnes. “I recommend the seasonal räucherfisch by the way, a local trawler managed to get a small batch of actual fish before being recalled by evac.”

Tapping at the eatery’s data slate, Sakurako nodded, “To be honest, I’ll just enjoy as much time on the Voluntatem as I can before we have to return to stations. Marc should be working his ass off with the scans anyways, I can take joy in that” Sakurako laughed. 

“Woah there, is there something wrong with you?” Agnes squinted, “Where did the uptight, reticent ice queen go? It’s like I’m looking through a portal to the past right now!” Teased Sakurako’s childhood friend.

A man dressed in midnight black arrived by their table. “Mackerel räucherfisch,” the waiter explained, setting a plate down on their table. “Accompanied with our signature caramelised onion puree, konkiloni arrabbiata and malum salad.” Finishing the explanation, the waiter bowed and left.

“Malum salad seems new.” Commented Sakurako. 

“They’ve had it for a few standard months now… not that you were around to try it!” Her colleague laughed maniacally. 

A giggle escaped Sakurako’s lips, “Now you’ve done it!” Sakurako darted towards her abuser with lethal precision and began to rapidly prod Agnes’ sides with her fingers. Time flew by as the two continued exchanging laughs and stories after recovering from the initial battle.

Soon enough, it was time for the two reconnecting friends to deal with more pressing matters. Arriving at the Kiefernstadt terminus once again, the pair arrived on platform TN01, where uniformed and armoured individuals hung about chatting, resting and simply queuing up. A few seemed to stiffen up upon their arrival on the platform, though the women paid them no mind. 

The scurrying of air signalled the arrival of the maglev as it came to a rest, for the reverberations of sound could not herald its presence. Unlike its civilian cousins, a bare interior greeted its passengers, grab poles stood where plush cushions were expected and sturdy metallic grating complimented the glass panes. 

Like sharks amongst a school of mackerel, the common infantryman tended to navigate away from the vicinity of the two ranking officers. An insignia of a dagger in an edge-in reverse knife grip, adorned with a laurel wreath, decorated the upper sleeves of the mackerel. Some strayed from the school, greeting the duo before taking their place by their nearest grab poles, their sleeves adorned with differing insignia. 

“Seeing Terran sailors always brings me back to when we were just Disciples”, Agnes relaxed her elbows upon the metal grates. “Speaking of which, you hardly ever talk about your training, will you spill it? Please? Pretty please?” Agnes looked at Sakurako, giving her best puppy eyes.

“For someone built like a dreadnought, those eyes work unusually well.” Sakurako smirked, “It’s too embarrassing, I’d really rather not share…” Growing rosy in her cheeks as she turned away to hide it. 

======

An iridescent white boot followed a mirrored boot, never matching the other in position until they ceased their footfalls. The boots rotated, facing twelve thousand sailors standing at attention. A pair of matching gloves clasped a sleek helmet, twisting it; two triangular indents ceased their glow of blue as the helmet lifted off the individual’s shoulders. 

“Ladies and Gentlemen, as you are all aware, the career of a Lord is not indefinite. I’ll keep this straight forward. I will be retiring soon, to what is none of your concern, what needs to be within your scope of knowledge, however, are the men and women standing beside me. These are my disciples, one of them will be your future Lord Commander. Respect them as you respect me, teach them as those before you have taught you, and treat them like you would treat me. Disciples, introduce yourselves.” A booming, commanding voice announced. 

“It is a pleasure to train under the guidance of Lord Helg, and the company of everyone here today. My name is Quintus Asper, you may address me as Quintus. Thank you.” The emerald-eyed teen introduced, before stepping back.

A redheaded girl stepped forth, “Libeste Hofmann, reflection of the great Octavia Thiel. You may address me only as Disciple Hofmann.” she stated, before moving back into the line.

“Folkus Steidl, you may call me Folkus, or Steidl. I don’t mind either! I hope to train with everyone soon, it’s an honour to be in the presence of the defenders of our empire!” The caramel-haired boy smiled, before stepping back into line just like the others.

“H-hi everyone, t-thank you for being here today, a-and thank you for working with us in the future”, a raven-haired girl bowed. “M-my name is Yukita Sakurako, y-you may call me Yukita-san!” The anxious girl blushed before retreating backwards.

0