Chapter Five: To Bargain With Giants
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sylvi Narin

Drachenhold Prison

The Jördlands

 

“That’s it!” Sylvi whispered to her companions. “That’s the window, up there! Hold on a second.”

In quick fashion, Sylvi used her sceptre to quickly whip up a platform of ice that floated up to the barred window that Sylvi had seen in her dreams. They had done well to avoid the gaze of the guards—undead or otherwise—but this didn’t stop Sylvi’s sceptre hand from trembling now that they were this close to possibly achieving their aim.

When they were level with the window in question, Sylvi simply pointed the magecraft instrument at it. With little thought, the metal bars exploded into a burst of blue butterflies, leaving the path completely unobstructed.

“So,” said Sylvi. “Who’s first.”

“I’ll go,” Krundy said almost immediately, stepping forward.

Once he had squeezed himself into the window, Sylvi called after him as quietly as she could and asked, “What’s it like down there? Do you see the prisoners?”

“No, it’s just a hallway. It looks like there are cells on either side of it further down, though. You two come on down.”

Upon entering the area, Sylvi found herself in a long hallway, like what Krundy described, but there were also statues that not only lined the walls but also loomed over them as they walked down it. When she inspected them, though, her nose quickly filled with the vile, pungent scent of decayed and mummified flesh.

“More draugr.” Sylvi said to herself. She held up her sceptre to them, and the light of the crystal was reflected in glossy, dead eyes from within the warriors’ helmets. “It’s like they’re asleep or something.” She whispered to the others. “Like they’re just waiting for something to wake them.”

“Let’s make sure we’re not that thing, then.” Said Maja. “These cells are all filled with frozen people—I mean, they’re all dead. I’m not so sure we’ll find them in this wing of the dungeons. Sylvi, do you know a spell that we could use to find them?”

Sylvi shook her head. “If I knew a spell like that, I would have just used it to find my parents ages ago. Most tracking spells like that require something that the target used or wore regularly—like a dog tracking a scent—but I don’t even know how to cast those spells, really. Also, with those giant runes on the outer walls messing with my magic, I don’t know if I’d be able to cast it anyway.”

“Over here.” Krundy had made it to the last door at the end of the hall. “…It’s this one, Sylvi.”

Both Sylvi and Maja hurried over to him. Then Sylvi placed her hand on the door and tried to peer through its small barred window. “How do you know it’s—?”

From the moment she placed her hand on the door, the world around her transformed almost completely; the section of the prison they were in disappeared completely, leaving Sylvi floating in a starry nebula of various shades of blue, and this new world that she was in was completely void of all sound. Krundy and Maja had disappeared too, and where the prison cell was once in front of her was now a floating island of ice with two enormous figures, each bound by ethereal chains that were holding them to half-walls of ice behind them both.

Sylvi’s mind struggled to register a colossal, green, horned serpent on the left side of the ice island—the sheer enormity of its head and eyes, which were five times bigger than her own body, was overwhelming. The serpent’s body, intricately woven in and out of the iceberg-island, seemed to be suspended in a frozen dance, as if caught between realms. The snake’s body seemed to stretch on forever as it intertwined with the iceberg, leaving only small sections free from the icy embrace. The snake’s head remained motionless, showing no interest in acknowledging her presence. Adorned with chains and an ethereal collar, the creature simply stared down at the ice, its gargantuan eyes glazed over with docility.

Meanwhile, the body of the feminine figure chained to the right stood out distinctly. The brilliance of her eyes, resembling white dwarf stars, added an ethereal glow to the starlit night sky. And while the titan of a woman had a plain face, her hair was an illustrious gold.

Then both figures twisted their heads towards her, and a blistering icy wind enveloped Sylvi as their eyes seemed to bore into her soul. They both opened their mouths and with silvery forked tongues they let loose a shrill hissing sound that spilled past their lips and sent goosebumps exploding all over Sylvi’s body. With a gasp, Sylvi finally gathered her wits enough to pull her hand away from the door, and the real world—along with the prison—returned to view. Both Krundy and Maja were beside her outside of the prison cell once again.

“They’re giants.” Sylvi finally said a moment later.

“Giants?” said Maja. “But how? What are giants doing stuck in a human dungeon? Why were they put here?”

“I don’t know…Krundy, did you see that vision when you approached their cell?”

“Of the two of them chained to the iceberg-island thing?” Krundy shuddered. “Yeah, I saw it…and I’m hoping that woman looks nothing like that in real life…Sylvi, I think we really need to rethink this one—I really, really do.”

“I didn’t come all this way just to turn back around, Krundy.” Said Sylvi, walking onward. “If you want to go back, then fine, but I’m staying, and I’m going to get some answers.”

And before Maja or Krundy could get in another word, Sylvi placed her hand on the cold wooden door once again, used her sceptre to undo whatever locks were keeping it shut, pushed it open, and walked inside.

The cell itself wasn’t much to look at, but inside of it—chained to opposite walls like in her vision—were the two giants in question, only now they looked to be about the same size as them, and both were in human form, there was no giant snake in sight. Although, it was hard for Sylvi to actually tell, as both prisoners were hunched over and kneeling on the ground.

The giant—who was in the spot where the massive snake had been in her vision—had a dishevelled mess of golden hair that was a mix of half-frozen locks and a pine cone or two. The woman on the other side didn’t have the same glow as she did in Sylvi’s vision, but Sylvi did notice that while her face was pain in the dream compared to the rest of her visage, in life her face reminded her of Aslauga’s in a way; like the Dryad Queen, the giantess’ face was diamond-shaped, her complexion snow white, and her eyes were a captivating grey. However, where there had long since been a weariness behind Aslauga’s eyes that was hard to miss, the giantess’ own eyes shot upwards and locked onto Sylvi’s own with a fierceness so sharp that it was impossible to miss—like daggers being shot at her with zero warning. Sylvi yelped and jumped backwards into Maja when the giantess jumped up to her feet.

“Who are you?” The giantess demanded in a booming voice that was completely at odds with her frail body, which was only covered by ragged clothes that had clearly seen better days. Completely lacking the forked tongue she had in the vision, she continued to shoot daggers at Sylvi and the others through the locks of her own messy hair, which no longer held the illuminating glow. “What do you want with us now, thralls? Well? Answer me? What foul games has your mistress come to burden us with this time?!”

“Glimaönd, please,” came a weary voice from the giant opposite to the giantess. “Relax. Do not shout, for if there are any guards nearby, you shall alert them…it’s her, Glimaönd…from the dream. The one you called out to…the one that I spoke to the night prior to this one.”

“No! NO!” Glimaönd shook her head vehemently. “This is not who I thought I—she is not an elf! She is only half as such! And the other half is…” The giantess gave Sylvi a look of contempt with a level of poisonous venom that she previously didn’t know was even possible.

“Half-Imagebearer.” The giant’s chains clanked and jingled as he raised himself to his feet, placing him only a little taller than everyone else once he had done so. He no longer had a forked, silver tongue to speak of, but his eyes were a startling pair of emerald, serpentine eyes. “I know, my dear. She might not look like them, but she has some of their blood in her.”

Trickster!” Glimaönd spat at Sylvi. “Always they are trying to deceive us! If I had known what you were, I would never have lent my powers to reach you!”

“Hey, we’re not here to trick anyone—!” Krundy almost instantly lost his voice, though, as the giantess’ eyes quickly flicked over to him, causing him to quite literally choke on whatever he was about to say next.

“Everyone—you must all be silent!” the giant hissed. A moment of silence finally passed, and once the giant was satisfied that no guards were rushing down the hall to stop them, he asked, “Tell us, Imagebearers, have you come to answer our call? To undo the injustice carried out by your kind?”

“What are you talking about?” Krundy asked. “We haven’t done anything to you.”

“Not you personally, idiot boy!” Glimaönd seethed at him. “The humans that put us in this dark hole so long ago! They did this to us, and we will hold you all responsible for the injustice you’ve heaped upon us all these years! Or…was it months? Minutes? Hours?” The rage etched into Glimaönd’s face suddenly melted away, and was replaced with a look of panic as she turned to face the giant. “I…I don’t remember…I don’t remember, Skogrsyn!

Sylvi realized she was going to have to try to steer this conversation—they were getting nowhere fast. “What do you know about my parents?” she blurted out. “When you called to me in my dreams, you said you—”

“No! Tell them nothing, Skogrsyn! Tell them nothing! Look at her! The fogs of the Dreamwilds kept us from clearly seeing that she is no fair friend! Tell them nothing!

“What can we do to help?” Maja said to the giant, Skogrsyn. “You want our help getting out of here, right? And in turn, you’ll help us find Sylvi’s parents? Right?”

“Yes.” Said Skogrsyn.

“No!” shrieked Glimaönd.

Yes, Glimaönd.” Then Skogrsyn turned to face Sylvi and said. “I will be honest with you, Half-Imagebearer. Had you been a true elf like we had believed you to be, we would have given you a much greater reception. Regardless, the fact is—”

“The fact is, beggars can’t be choosers. Right?” quipped Maja. “Not even giant beggars, it seems.”

Skogrsyn barely even acknowledged that Maja had spoken. “Regardless, the fact is that we have been locked away in this dark hole of a cell for a long, long time, with nothing to keep us warm, and scarcely any food to eat. And if we must consort with the same race that locked us away, then…so be it, I suppose.”

Sylvi clenched her fists as she took a deep breath. “I just need to know if you’ll hold up your end of the deal. I’m sorry about whatever…injustice happened to you two in a place like this, but I didn’t come all of this way just for you two. I need to know about my parents and what’s hurting the World Tree. So, do we still have a deal?”

To the surprise of no one by that point, Glimaönd once again shook her head emphatically at Skogrsyn. The latter, however, agreed to hold up his end of the bargain, and with that settled, Sylvi and the others got to work trying to free the giants from their chains.

 

*

 

Someone had hexed the chains themselves with some powerful magic to keep them in their place, and about half an hour went by with little progress. Sylvi had knelt down in front of Skogrsyn as she held the tip of her sceptre to the chains and tried to undo said hexes. It wasn’t entirely fruitless, but given the interference from the prison’s magical countermeasures, the amount of time it was taking to try and get the shackles off only served to add to everyone’s stress. The fear of a guard coming up to the cell door loomed over them all.

For what it was worth, Krundy and Maja were trying their best to simply pry the chains off Glimaönd’s wrists, but judging by the frustrated groans they were making behind her, she had a feeling they were getting nowhere fast.

Sylvi looked over her shoulder for a moment only to turn away in a fright when she saw that Glimaönd’s startling ice-blue eyes glaring at her from the shadows on the other side of the dungeon cell.

“Skogrsyn,” Sylvi said, fixing her eyes back onto the giant’s chains. “There’s something I’m hoping you could help me understand. I might be able to make sense of the magic that’s at work with these chains.”

“Yes?” the giant said, almost indifferently. “What would you like to know, child?”

“What kind of magic do you two use, anyway? Whoever put these on you attuned them to ensure that whatever innate powers you have are turned against you should you try to destroy or tamper with the chains…I just want to know what to expect should things go—”

We do not use magic, girl!” Skogrsyn growled down at her. “We are giants! Spirits of Nature itself! Some of our kind might be fit to degrade themselves with the Arcane—to bend and twist their soul-stuff to produce powers that Yggomni never meant for them to have—but not us. What you are detecting in these chains is an aversion to the Domains of the Giants that we both adhere to. I am a World Serpent—one of the many disciplines within the Domain of Beasts…or at least it was. That practice was ancient when I first was locked away in here, and I still do not know how long ago that was…by now, I can only hope that my tribe had managed to pass on our ways after all. Glimaönd is of the Domain of the Northern Lights—a true rarity…”

“Wait, what does that mean?”

“When she chooses to, she—like the rest of her people—can turn into the aurora borealis that you see in the night sky. Whenever you look up and see the Northern Lights, you are looking at giants in luminous form. Now return your focus to these chains, Half-Imagebearer. That should be enough information to help you see what powers these chains are suppressing within us and—”

“I got it! I got it, I got it!” Sylvi tossed the sceptre out of her way in her excitement as several runes burned into existence on the cuffs of the chains around Skogrsyn’s wrists before the runes exploded into fiery sparks. “Maja! Krundy! Come here and help me pull these off!”

When the other two came over, and the three quickly go to work, pulling on the chains with all of their might.

“It’s not budging!” Krundy grunted.

“Neither is this one.” Said Maja as she helped Sylvi with the cuff on Skogrsyn’s right arm.

Sylvi cursed under her breath as she ran her shaking hands through her hair. They couldn’t just stay here and work on these chains forever. At some point, a guard was bound to check-up on this section of the dungeons. That they hadn’t already was a miracle.

Sylvi didn’t think that it could get any colder in the cell either, with her winter clothing doing little to help her keep what warmth she had left in her. But when a loud CLANG caused the four of them to look up and turn to face the other side of the cell, that’s when Sylvi’s blood truly ran cold.

In a moment of horror, Sylvi remembered that she had tossed aside her family’s sceptre in a moment of excitement when she thought she was close to freeing the giant of his chains. The CLANG that they had heard was the sound of the giantess’ own chains falling to the floor, and now that same family sceptre was in her hands, being pointed straight at them.

“Remove yourselves from him. Now.” The giantess rose to her feet, with her eyes locked on them.

“What are you doing? He just said…he just said that you don’t use magic.” Sylvi said, rising slowly to her feet alongside the others. “We were helping you. We were all just helping you. We had a deal, so what are you—?”

Look out!

Sylvi’s world went sideways as Krundy shoved her out of the way, just in time to miss the burning red lasers that shot from Skogrsyn’s eyes. The giant snapped the chains with ease as she was rushing to sit herself upright against the back wall.

“For what it’s worth, I am sorry for that minor deception via omission. I only needed you to break the spells on the chains themselves. The rest, as you just saw for yourselves, was simple.”

“So what about Sylvi’s sceptre, huh?” said Maja. “I overheard what you said to Sylvi. What happened to not using magic?! All of that grandstanding was for nothing then, huh?”

“It wasn’t all a lie, no,” Skogrsyn said, as Glimaönd made her way over to his side, in front of the cell door. “We really don’t use magic, ordinarily. However, we will use any means necessary to leave this dungeon.”

“But we can all do that!” said Sylvi. “We can all do that together!

“No. We can’t. That might have been true once, but as of recently…well, I’m sure you’ve noticed the abnormal guards on your way into this prison? Or perhaps seen the ones supposedly standing idle in the halls? Well, let’s just say this dungeon has recently—and very forcibly—come under new management. And this new management has proven very determined to make sure that no one leaves to tell the outside world about the control of this prison having changed hands. And when one rather unlucky prisoner tried to escape just the other day, a ravenous horde of the dead hunted him down.”

“And they’re very dull abominations, the draugr are,” Glimaönd added. “Their mistress has tasked them with keeping people in their cells, but truly, as long as someone is in the cells that prisoners are supposed to sleep in, then there’s no reason for them to rise from their slumber…and that is where you three come in.”

“Wait, no—no, we’re not staying here! You can’t leave us trapped in here!” Sylvi blurted out as she scrambled to her feet. “What about our deal?”

Glimaönd scoffed. “That deal was made for one whom I believed was an elf—a pure-blooded elf. It was never meant for half bloods like you, half-blooded or otherwise.”

With a turn of her head, and a quick flick of her wrist, Glimaönd used Sylvi’s sceptre to conjure up a great wall of ice that began to rise and separate Sylvi, Maja, and Krundy from the other half of the room with the door and the giants.

Sylvi and the others rushed to clear the rising ice wall before it was too late, but with another flick of her wrist, Glimaönd had caused all three of them to freeze in mid-air.

“As you can see, with our shackles now removed, the rest of the prison’s magical dampeners have little effect on our magical prowess.” Said the giantess. “I should make this hex on you permanent so that you stay like this forever!”

“Then they would starve, Glimaönd,” Said Skogrsyn. “And we’d be no better than the humans that captured and imprisoned us…be grateful that we aren’t anything like your kind, Imagebearers.”

And with that, the two giants opened the cell door, and Sylvi watched as Glimaönd tossed the sceptre onto the floor of the cell just as the ice wall completely separated them from the only way out.

After a moment of struggling to move, the spell undid itself and Sylvi fell to the cold ground along with the others. “No, no, no, no…” She began punching and kicking desperately at the wall of ice, to no avail. “We have to get them to come back. We have to get them to tell us what they know!”

“Sylvi,” Maja said. “…we need to go home. I’m sorry, but we tried everything we could. They tricked us, though, and…look, for all we know, they never really knew anything about your parents or about how to help Queen Aslauga.”

“She’s right, Sylvi.” Said Krundy, placing a hand on her shoulder. “I’m sorry but, once we get out of this cell, we need to leave. It’s over. They tricked us. It’s done. It’s time to go home.”

Tears flowed down Sylvi’s cheek, and she finally stopped trying to break through the magical ice. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have brought us here…” The anger she felt towards the giants intensified, a burning fire in her heart, knowing they would roam freely while she remained trapped.

I’ll make them pay for this betrayal! I don’t care where they run off to. Those giants will regret this…I swear it.

Then a mesmerizing red light captivated her eyes, flickering in rhythm like a beating heart, causing her to divert her attention to the icy floor below. As Sylvi knelt down on her side of the ice wall, she noticed the sceptre lying on the floor, radiating with a furious energy that she instantly recognized as her own…and that’s when she had an idea: with no sort of magecraft instrument like her family’s sceptre, Sylvi was hopeless at magic. But this connection she seemed to have with the sceptre made her wonder if she could coax it to act without her touching it…maybe even all on its own.

“Sylvi, what are you doing?” Maja said, looking down at her.

But Sylvi paid her no mind.

“Take it.” Sylvi seethed at the sceptre. “Take all of my anger, take all of my heartache—my loss and my tears—and make something of it. Take it all, and work magic with it!”

That same pulsing red light grew in brightness as the sceptre rose from the floor and hung in mid-air. The fog on its side of the ice blurred out the view of the pulsing red light, and within minutes, the ice wall had melted.

When it was done, Sylvi wiped the tears off of her face, marched to the cell door, turned back to look at the others. “I don’t care how many draugr stand between us and the way out. We’re leaving this place, and then we’re going after those giants.”

The very air in the hallway instantly changed the moment they entered it. Taking a deep breath, Sylvi stepped forward and silently made her way down the hall, her companions close behind. As they got closer and closer towards the end of the hallway, Sylvi thought for a second that she heard footsteps coming from somewhere.

“Sylvi, get back!” Krundy pulled her back just in time before a pair of massive claws slashes at her from just above her. “What was that?!”

A gigantic draugr—some mummified creature that was a cross between a human and beast—dropped from the shadows of the ceiling, blocking their only way out. The creature snarled as it caught sight of them, and it raised its claws as it prepared to attack.

In an instant, Sylvi ducked behind one of the draugrs lined up against the wall that was still stationary, while Maja and Krundy grabbed rocks from the floor below. With one swift movement, Maja threw hers first at the draugr’s head while Krundy fired his rock directly into its chest—neither doing anything to affect the beast beyond annoying it by the looks of it, and knocking it slightly off balance. It was the smallest of openings, but not one that Sylvi would let go to waste.

As the draugr beast stumbled backwards; Sylvi raised her sceptre again and fired a powerful magical bolt straight into its midsection.

The undead monstrosity tumbled onto its backside before bursting into dust with an explosive force that sent shockwaves through every corner of that prison hall.

Then the rest of the draugr in the hall rose from their slumber.

“Run for it! Just run!” screamed Maja.

Sylvi bolted down the hall, blasting bolts of magic at the undead husks as they stirred to life and raised their swords and axes against her. Dead claws wrenched and tore at her clothes, armour, and sceptre, and within minutes she had lost whatever discipline she had left and had started thrashing around wildly instead of casting spells. Something yanked hard on her hair with such force that she slipped on some ice on the floor and fell flat on her back—and it was then that her family’s sceptre tumbled out of her hand and out of reach, and with it the last of her security.

Sylvi turned her head just enough as she scrambled to her feet to see that what had pulled her was a draugr that had clamped its teeth down on her hair, and was acting like a dog who was thrashing and tugging away at a new rope toy.

“Krundy!” Sylvi cried out behind her. “Help! Maja, help me!”

Then, as she finally got to her feet—pushing, swinging, and kicking at the swarm of undead trying to grab hold of her—screams from both Krundy and Maja filled the hall, as they were enduring the same fate.

As their clanking armour echoed through the air, the draugr mercilessly seized their weapons and carelessly flung Sylvi into Krundy and Maja amidst the chaotic horde. Sylvi’s head spun with dizziness as they were forcefully pulled back towards the dungeon cell they had just broken free of. Sylvi could do nothing but struggle as tears blurred her vision, and the haunting howl of the wind from the window that should’ve been their escape route only intensified her sense of despair.

Then, just as Sylvi was about to be tossed back into the giants’ cell, every undead soldier in the hallway froze.

Sylvi’s entire body was shaking as she hastily looked around in every direction, trying to figure out what was going on. “Krundy?” she said, turning to both him and Maja. “What’s happened? Why have they stopped?”

“I don’t know.” Said Krundy, trying to pull himself out of the grip of the dead men. “But I’m not sticking around to find out!”

Following his lead, both Sylvi and Maja tried wrenching their hands and legs free of the draugr, but it was no use. They all just hung in the air, just above the floor, with the draugr holding such a tight grip onto Sylvi’s arms and legs that she winced as purple bruises formed where the dead flesh held their icy, tight grip.

…Meat for the stew…meat…for the stew.” One of the draugr holding Sylvi suddenly muttered.

Then another corpse joined in, with a raspy voice saying, “Meat for the stew. Meat for the stew!

Then, all together, the entire horde chanted, “MEAT FOR THE STEW! MEAT FOR THE STEW! MEAT FOR THE STEW! MEAT FOR THE STEW!

All at once, the entire horde of draugr stepped back away from the dungeon cell and began carrying Sylvi and the others off in a different direction as their chanting grew louder and louder.

MEAT FOR THE STEW! MEAT FOR THE STEW! MEAT FOR THE STEW! MEAT FOR THE STEW!

“What’s going on?” Sylvi tried to call out to the others over the chanting. When she couldn’t hear a response from them, she looked up at the corpses carrying her and said, “Where are you taking us?!”

Before long, they were being shoved through the doorway of another room, and Sylvi only caught glimpses of a few long wooden tables, tall windows, and what looked like a large, bubbling cauldron.

“Well now. What have you boys gotten a hold of?” said a deep voice. “Go on then, stand that one upright so I can get a good look at her.”

The draugr quickly righted Sylvi upwards and dropped her abruptly on her feet, causing her to nearly lose her balance. They were now in a massive kitchen with stone walls, a large furnace of an oven, along with the long tables and an enormous cauldron.

“Oh my! A frost elf!” came the man’s voice again, far too cheerily. “Oh, wonderful! The mistress will be so pleased! She’ll be just so pleased to see that another elf is in our pantry!”

The man in question was just as undead as the draugr that had dragged them into the massive kitchen. His skin was a strange sort of ashy black and clearly rotting in certain places, and he was wearing a chef’s hat and apron over burlap clothing. He stood to be about six feet tall—towering over Sylvi, and looming over her with a glassy pair of dead eyes and a crooked grin.

“Well, make sure you lot hold on to her tightly.” The dead chef said. “I wanna fix these other two up quickly so that I can prepare their meats before our lady gets back, and I don’t want her getting in the way.”

“Wait, what do you mean our ‘meats’?!” For the first time, Krundy’s voice trembled as the corpses hauled him and a screaming Maja up onto a chopping board on one of the tables.

“What are you doing?” Maja sobbed. “What are you do—AHHH!

The sickening sound of a single chopping through flesh filled the air as the undead chef, using a large butcher’s knife, severed Maja’s left leg while the draugr kept her immobilized. The scream that escaped Maja’s lips sent shivers down Sylvi’s spine, the sound so intense it felt like a physical assault. As the dead chef mercilessly continued his assault on Maja, Sylvi couldn’t help but feel horrified by his complete indifference to her pain.

Then Sylvi cried out, enraged as her friend’s last breath left her body before laying there, limp and lifeless as the monster continued to cut away at her corpse.

Even as Sylvi tried everything she could to break free of her captors, she helplessly witnessed the undead carry away the chopped up chunks of Maja’s body before they hauled Krundy up onto the chopping board next, kicking and screaming.

As the horror show reached its conclusion and they were done ripping him to shreds, Sylvi was left standing there, completely alone, her body shaking violently, tears pouring down her face. The overwhelming feeling of impending doom washed over her as she alone was left surrounded by a haunting army of dead bodies.

“Now then,” said the dead chef. His apron was now covered in blood as he turned to face Sylvi once again. “Time to put you back in the pantry—oh, sorry, I mean your cell. Whichever one that was. Go on then,” he said, waving the draugr off with a great big grin on his face. “Take her back. Let her sit for a while for now, and then when the mistress returns and is ready for her meal, then we’ll show her the extra treat that showed up tonight.”

0