Sleepwalking
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The crimson light continued to flicker, and as I stared at the menacing blood letters on the screen, I remained in a daze for about ten seconds.

How does this live streaming app know about the Eight Immortals Bun Shop's affairs? A chill ran down my spine, recalling the strange behavior of the woman during the day, leaving me in suspense and suspicion.

However, I quickly regained my composure.

I heard that behind these live streaming apps, there's always a backstage team using various methods for marketing and hype to enhance the app's appeal.

Since this app is called "Strange Tales Live Room," its main focus must be on peculiar and terrifying live streams, and the backstage team probably included all the local strange tales.

Through the location system, as long as the phone approaches a specific strange tale location, a corresponding live streaming window would pop up, much like rogue software.

Attracting attention and gaining traffic.

This trick is indeed quite impressive, and the app's interface is also designed to be quite horrifying; those with weak nerves might genuinely be scared.

No, scaring me isn't that easy.

I sneered and pressed the decline button.

"Reminder: 2 chances left."

The menacing blood letters disappeared, the phone returned to normal, and the screen now only displayed the icon resembling a memorial photo frame.

However, within the frame, there was now a black and white portrait of a person, eerily similar to a memorial photo.

The person's face seemed familiar.

After a closer look, I was shocked.

Isn't this my photo?

Damn it, when did the app upload my photo!

I furrowed my brow, attempting to click on the icon, but like during the day, the app refused to open.

After some thought, I figured this rogue app must have sneakily taken a photo of me while I was looking at my phone and used it for the icon.

Shameless! Going to such lengths just for money!

"Nice idea, but the means are despicable and repulsive. The app's stability is also not good. Negative review!"

I tossed the phone back into the drawer, yawned, and went back to sleep.

For some reason, I felt cold that night. Despite the hot weather, I needed to cover myself with a thick blanket to sleep.

When I woke up in the morning, my back was sore, my head was heavy, and I couldn't shake the feeling of discomfort.

"When did the bed become so hard?"

I groggily opened my eyes and was stunned.

Instead of the familiar old ceiling of my bedroom, I saw a grey sky fragmented by tangled electrical wires.

At that moment, I realized I was sleeping on the street in the urban village! Damn, what's going on?

I jolted up, looking around.

It was just getting light, and the narrow, dirty street was empty. It felt eerie, and I couldn't shake the creepy sensation.

I slept in the doorway of the Eight Immortals Bun Shop last night? Cold sweat dripped from my forehead. I was sleeping on the street last night?

I was extremely sore all over, my clothes covered in dust, clearly having spent quite some time on the ground.

Sleepwalking?

I've never had this problem before!

Feeling uneasy, I noticed a run-down old house nearby. Instinctively, I looked up.

Above my gaze, a decaying sign hung on the door with faded characters.

Eight Immortals Bun Shop! My heart constricted, and I took a cold breath.

I slept at the entrance of the Eight Immortals Bun Shop?!

I wiped my forehead with cold sweat. I couldn't fathom what happened.

Sleepwalking?

I've never had this problem.

Did I encounter something evil?

This is even less likely. I've been staying in the shop these past few days and haven't encountered anything strange, except for that mentally unstable woman yesterday.

Perhaps... "Kid, your forehead is dark, eyes lifeless. Within three days, there will be a disaster!" A sudden voice behind me startled me.

Lost in thought, I hadn't noticed when someone entered the shop.

"Deadbeat, always startling people. Trying to scare me to death?" Without even looking, I knew it was Wang Lame, a fellow vendor from this urban village.

He was about the same age as my dad, a senior, but not as well off as me. At least I had a shop, while he had to set up a street stall. Either he was chased away by city management or beaten by customers.

Because he's never been accurate.

Seeing his suspicious look today, he probably ran into trouble again and came to hide at my place.

"Kid, I observed your face just now. Dark complexion, signs of misfortune. This is a sign of great calamity!" Wang Lame, leaning on his crutch, looked serious.

I rolled my eyes.

Is he using his usual tricks to deceive me? I have only one word for him.

"Get lost!"

"Although it's dangerous, there is a way to resolve it. For the sake of our acquaintance, I won't stand by idly," Wang Lame insisted.

"I don't have money!"

"A meal will do."

Wang Lame shamelessly smiled.

Unable to resist his persistent begging, I treated him to breakfast again.

As if he hadn't eaten in three days, he devoured three baskets of buns, leaving his mouth oily.

Satisfied after the meal, Wang Lame picked up a triangular yellow talisman and placed it on the foldable table of the breakfast stall.

"I'm a man of my word. This spiritual talisman can help you dispel calamities and difficulties!"

"Old Wang, you really know how to do business. You want three baskets of buns in exchange for this shabby talisman!" I scornfully remarked.

"Kid, don't disrespect the spiritual talisman! Do you know its origin?"

"This is called a Town Spirit Talisman, drawn by a great Taoist master using the spiritual power of heaven and earth. It can suppress all evil spirits and demons in the world. It's rare, and I happened to obtain it through fortuitous circumstances, treasured for many years without using it."

Wang Lame boasted, and if it weren't for the cabbage leaves stuck on his teeth, it almost sounded convincing.

The yellow talisman was stained with oil, and I wondered who dared to desecrate it.

Regardless, it could be sold later to customers for a little profit.

I wrapped the talisman in tissue and put it in my pocket.

"Kid, remember, wear it close to your body within three days!" Wang Lame earnestly advised before limping away with his crutch.

His meddling somehow eased last night's fear.

Because if he said something would happen, it definitely wouldn't.

Last night must have been sleepwalking!

I comforted myself, but an uneasy feeling lingered. I opened the drawer and took out the black phone to check.

The touch was icy, and the black and white profile on the live streaming app stared expressionlessly at me.

I tapped it several times, but the app still wouldn't open.

Putting the phone back into the drawer, I sat in the shop the whole day, but no customers came. As the night darkened, I remained sleepless, fearing that if I fell asleep, I might end up on the street again. Just as I was tossing and turning, the phone vibrated again.

Buzzing...

The urgent vibration sounded piercingly loud in the quiet shop.

I jolted up.

A blinking red light seeped through the crack in the counter drawer.

It was that phone again.

2