Chapter 14: Avoidance
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unaware of the meaning behind Lee’s sudden deer-in-headlights impression, Thomas continued, “You’ve already made decent progress with him. According to this profile Arland’s affection is at thirty-four percent.” 

Lee shook his head in emphatic disagreement. “I actually haven’t made much of any progress with Arland! His affection started out at thirty-two percent and has barely risen at all since then.” 

Thomas’ brow creased with confusion, and he pursed his lips before inquiring, “...What percentage did mine start with?”

Lee eagerly seized the opportunity to derail the topic. “At zero I think, but I was given an event to do with you right away that raised it a few points. I’m actually surprised by how high it’s gotten,” Lee replied, looking right at the President’s ‘Affection Meter’ as he spoke.

Thomas noticed his line of sight and grimaced at the reminder of the intangible ‘75%’ that floated above him. It was a mystery as to why it hadn’t disappeared the same way the ‘Heart Gauge’ did once Thomas’ route was finished.

“Back to Arland,” the President dictated, much to Lee’s dismay. “Even if it will be difficult, the two of us together should be able to find a way to raise his …stats.” The Class President frowned after his use of the gaming term. Talking about a real person in such a way likely felt distasteful to him.

“I’m sorry, I just- I can’t do that,” Lee haltingly replied, twisting his hands around the hem of his shirt.

“Why not?” 

“Arland was the first person to be kind to me in a long time. He doesn’t usually go out of his way to befriend people, but he noticed how lonely I was during the first few weeks of school and decided to help me out.” 

Lee stared down at his lap as he reflected. 

“Even if I did successfully complete his route, then what? Wouldn’t our friendship be ruined once he found out about the curse?” Lee wondered fretfully, clutching at his shirt with a white-knuckled grip. 

He waited anxiously for Thomas’ response; if the redhead insisted that including Arland was the only way to move forward, he would need to suck it up and risk everything.

Thomas eventually acknowledged, “You care about how he might feel after the fact.” His low voice was tinged with an odd inflection that couldn't be identified.

“Yes,” Lee agreed, slumping with emotional fatigue. “So can we please avoid Arland and try to figure something else out?”

Instead of a reply, the sound of typing started up again. Lee peered over at his classmate, to see Thomas looking as impassive as usual. 

“I understand,” the President said eventually. “For now, we can try to figure out the identity of some of the other people with hidden profiles.”

Lee was touched by Thomas’ willingness to accommodate his personal shortcomings. He was so lucky to have someone like the President by his side!

“What usually happens if you fail in one of these dating simulator games?” Thomas suddenly asked.

Fail?” Lee parroted in confusion.

“For example, if you were to choose all the incorrect dialogue options. There would be consequences for that, correct?”

“Oh! You’re talking about bad endings,” Lee realized.

Thomas nodded. “What do you think would happen if we deliberately aimed for one of those endings?” 

Incredulous, Lee asked, “You want to get a ‘Bad End’ on purpose somehow?”

“An ending is an ending,” Thomas remarked with a light shrug. “Don’t games end faster when you make all the wrong choices?” 

“They usually do,” was Lee’s hesitant reply. “But in romance games that can have disastrous consequences. I’m kind of terrified of what might happen if I get a ‘Bad End’ with a real person.”

Thomas continued to take notes on the new information. “Disastrous how? The point of the game is just to fall in love, right?”

“In a lot of games like this, characters can end up dying when you don’t get a good ending,” Lee cautioned with a wince. “It sometimes happens by freak accident, like randomly getting hit by a train or something.”

Thomas paused in his typing, his last bullet point reading: 

  • Be cautious of Bad Endings - Might cause death?

Appalled, the President sputtered, “What the hell kind of games are these?”

Lee huffed out an awkward chuckle, unsure how to explain why the extra drama and thrill brought on by such terrifying yet avoidable bad endings appealed to many romance lovers. 

Following such a foreboding topic, they decided to wrap up their planning session for the evening.

Thomas started packing up his portable table and laptop, intent on retiring to his own dorm room a floor above. 

Obstinately, Lee plucked the items from his hands. 

“...What are you doing?” Thomas asked, bewildered.

“Please stay here again tonight,” Lee implored, clutching the redhead’s property to his chest. 

He’d had a taste of what it felt like to fall asleep beside someone, and yearned to experience it once more. Additionally, he hoped to wake up to Thomas’ adorable bedhead again too!

The President frowned at the earnest face in front of him.

“Pretty please?” Lee begged sweetly. 

(+1%) [Affection 76%] 

Thomas looked away with indecision, but Lee was bolstered by the confirmation his tactic was working. He continued, “Pleeeeeeaaaaase?” 

The redhead let out a long, suffering sigh. He pushed his glasses further up his face and finally relented, “Alright.”

Lee hopped in victory and hurried to set Thomas’ stuff down off to the side so he could throw his arms around the Class President. 

The embrace was a tad disjointed because of Lee’s unfamiliarity with hugging people. He had accidentally trapped Thomas’ arms against his sides, but the President was nice enough to raise a hand as high as he could to pat Lee’s elbow indulgently.

After they moved to the bed and got comfortable in their same positions from last night, Lee quickly dropped a kiss on Thomas’ cheek. He then immediately rolled over to face away before the redhead could react, listening as Thomas huffed, exasperated, behind him. 

Lee gasped when he felt the back of his neck get flicked sharply by the President's finger in retaliation. Thomas then shuffled around to put his back to Lee too, but pressed close so that their shoulder blades were touching.

Lee shivered in contentment, relaxing into what was shaping up to be another peaceful slumber.

1