I-V: DREAMS OF DARKNESS
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was not about them—it was about what came along with them.

Darkness.

 

It was nightfall. The hail had stopped by then and Sven had safely reached the town across the air bridge. Well, from below since the air bridge had fallen apart. Going up the hill was the easy part—the hardest part was making sure Melanie does not fall off from his back. There was not a little bit of strength left in him and Melanie’s body was cold.

 

By the time they reached the inn, the whole town was covered in snow. Melanie came down with a fever, it was worrying. The innkeeper was kind enough to give them extra blankets and helped change Melanie into warm clothes.

 

Gently, he put her on the bed and pulled the blanket over her. Her face was really pale. His hand reached out to feel her forehead. It was really hot. He stepped away from the bed. When she shivered in the cold, he frowned.

 

He approached the pile of firewood laid at the corner of the room and threw them into the fireplace. A pleasant smell filled the room—cedar wood. The firewood burns, followed by the crackling and snapping sounds. The room grew warmer by the second and color seemed to have returned to her face.

 

Sven let out a sigh of relief. He pulled a chair with him and sat by the bed. He watched her in fitful sleep. With a blanket over himself, he dozed off in time, giving in to fatigue.

 

Her golden orbs, dull from pain, fluttered open to welcome the cold. It should have been a calm waking moment—it should have been—but it was not. Her body ached all over and she wondered if it was her illness acting up? She had tried to stretch her body but it hurt too much to do so.

 

Taking a moment to take in her surroundings, she sat up straight. Her body tensed up, realizing the room was a stranger to her. She immediately relaxed when she saw Sven, on the chair beside the bed. He was all sprawled out on the chair and seemed really uncomfortable. She noticed this because he shifted every two seconds.

 

He’s far too tall, she thought as she got off the bed. She winced slightly as her feet touched the cold floor. Putting one foot in front of the other, she proceeded carefully towards the window. At one point, she realized she was no longer in the clothing she started off with—but instead she was in a dress that reached to her calf.

 

She thought nothing of her new attire and hurried to the window. She rubbed at the foggy, cold glass window. The cool feeling that brushed against her fingers sent chills down her spine. Her body shook slightly as she watched the outside world. The town covered in white seemed a little lonely. The townspeople were busy with their everyday activities, not bothered by the cold weather.

 

Looking around, she noticed a strange individual clad in black. Squinting her golden orbs, she realised who that stranger was—the man from yesterday—and their eyes met. Her heart skipped a beat and she quickly turned away. When she finally turned back, he was no longer there.

 

Right then, Sven stirred in his sleep. Melanie went over to him and called out, “Sven?”

 

He tilted his head up to her, his eyes half opened and all he could see was Melanie. Her face was pale and her smile was weak.  Her soft golden eyes were staring down at him. Golden orbs that were cold and emotionless only a while ago. Now, it was almost gentle. Gentle? How unlike—his thoughts were interrupted.

 

Melanie ran her fingers through his messy golden hair. It fascinated her, for it glowed in the light of the sun.

 

She smiled, and his eyes were wide open. Noticing his stare, she blushed and turned away.

 

Her smile is so refreshing.

 

He stretched and stood up, “How’s your fever? Is it better now?”

Melanie nodded, her face flushed red.

 

She seems different. She seems much… like how I remembered her to be, he thought and a smile was carved upon his face.

 

I like her better this way.

 

“Oh yeah, I never got the chance to ask you this but did anything happen while we were separated?”

 

“Nothing,” Melanie replied bluntly. It was not her who met those people after all. So, she was not really lying. And that was that thing about not letting them meet. If she had let out the wrong information, Sven might get hurt. Her smile disappeared along with her train of thoughts then.

 

I hope she gets better soon. As much as I like being here, I cannot stay outside long. If… she doesn’t come back soon, we’ll disappear. And besides, only she can help Sven. Not me, for I no longer have the ability to.

 

Darkness and nothingness shone in spite of the Moon. Even so, such light was dull and lifeless. Melanie trudged on an endless path, aimlessly. Then an eerie cry could be heard, she turned around and found a creature flying around. With a body like a snake, it flew aimlessly and shot fire everywhere.

 

…Don’t tell me I’m seeing a dragon? This is a dream, right?

“This is no dream, fair maiden.”

 

Her body tensed up as she turned towards the voice. It was the young man earlier, at town, at the bottom of the air bridge—accompanied by friends with the power to emanate flames.

 

“Yes, we have power over Fire. This is our gift. In our world, everyone has similar gifts.”

 

The dragon she saw earlier kept screeching and shrieking. It was a pain in her ears. She fell on her knees.

 

Who are you? What is that? Why does the pain feel so real?

 

“My name is Eru. That is the creature of Darkness known as Nidhogg. A creature whose purpose was nothing more than harming and making people suffer.”

 

No such thing exists in Veritas right? Our world is...

 

“This world’s balance is falling apart—she along with our presence caused a disruption in time and space. A gap in the world appeared and Nidhogg escaped from that which binds him. All according to his will.”

 

Melanie was lost, no longer knowing whether this was a dream or not. Or whether she had hoped this was a dream. “What’s going to happen to this world?” Melanie asked, not wanting an answer.

 

“The fate of a world that has lost its balance is death.”

 

And there’s nothing that can be done to stop this?

 

“…What is done is done. All she can do is stop the darkness from spreading to other worlds. If she doesn’t then, this universe will cease to exist……”

 

“Mel!Mel!” Sven called out, waking Melanie up from her thoughts. She nearly bumped into a kid, to whom she apologized to. “Is something wrong? You have been spacing out for some time now—” Sven asked but Melanie had no reply for him.

 

I must call for her. But, how do I call for a person who refused to be called?

 

It was noon. After stocking up on their supplies, Sven called out to her for their journey to Portland. They set off for their journey in new attire—white bodysuits and brown hooded cloaks. She felt a strange stir within her. Her breathing was heavy and pain contracted at her chest. She clutched at her chest, tears forming at her eyes.

 

It hurts so much, it hurts, it hurts. Is it because I am the one outside now?

 

Her head throbbed and she felt nauseous. She had fallen to her knees. Noticing the change in Melanie, Sven hurried to her side. Her visions wavered, slowly falling into darkness as she watched his green orbs shake in worry.

 

Lune, it hurts. Where are you?

0