Chapter Two
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Current date)

Leah

Today was supposed to be the day that the external cyber-security experts should come over, but they are yet to be here, since this company can't figure out how to go about this whole situation, they invited external experts. I'm already missing my phone… my work and my life, I need them back.

It's so stale and boring in here, though I have my old phone, which is a bit faulty and my laptop that I used at home to do stuff with, but the phone's nothing compared to new one.

*sigh*

While I was busy working, I was informed of the arrival of the external cyber-security experts, so I shutdown the computer and left what I was doing and to the IT department, they don't need to summon me. I got into the elevator since they are on the fifth floor, while I was in the third.

Upon reaching my destination, just as the elevator's doors opened, I was befuddled by the sight in front of me. A man, a very handsome man standing regally outside the elevator, together with some IT staff.

**********

(two months ago)

Peter

"Jaz, did Anto — Jesus Christ! What in the devil's name are you two doing?!"

They are caught in the act red-handed, all naked having sex, I was so furious and frustrated that my vision got cloudy, I didn't realized when I dropped both phones on the floor, I turned back the opposite direction banging the door behind me.

I didn't wait for answers to my question, because none of their answers would convince me, they will only add more rage to the fire contained now within my heart, I went downstairs to cool down my temper.

Why was I so myopic that I couldn't see this from a mile away? Even though everything happened right under my nose, though… I can't pinpoint when it all started. To my assumption, their closeness was just platonic, or just closeness of friendship or more like the way a brother would love his in a caring way, I didn't know that I've been blindsided by my best friend and fiancée, well, they won't be anymore.

**********


(Three years ago — Peter's thoughts)

"Hello there! what can I get you, gentlemen?" asked a lady as Peter and his friends approaches the refreshment area.

The three of them are attending an international cyber-security conference in New York, they decided to take some fresh air after the break.

"Um... What's on the menu?" Asked Patrick, one of Peter's best-friends.

They became friends right from middle-school due to having similar interests. Antonio is just a third-wheel when it comes to interests and career, he's the non-nerd amongst them, though he and Peter had being friends longer than Peter and Patrick, they've been friends since elementary, plus Peter hangs out with him more than with Patrick.

"Here, see for yourselves," she handed them the menu each, while looking at Peter with a familiarity look, which he was oblivious to.

She had seen them when they came in, instead of letting one of her staff to attend to them, she decided to do it herself, even though she was the caterer in charge. She wanted to clarify that someone amongst them is whom she thought it was.

"I'll have tapas with cauliflower fritters," said Antonio.

"Um... I'll just have coffee and some baked-buttermilk scones," said Patrick.

"I'll just have the freshly squeezed orange juice," said Peter.

"Alright! Your orders would be here in about a minute," said the lady while making a hand gesture to one of her staff to come forward, she handed her the paper where she'd jotted down the orders, without leaving.

"If you wouldn't mind, I'll like to ask you a question," she said while looking directly at Peter with a smile graced on her face.

"Okay?!" Peter responded with a drawl looking confused.

"I'm having this nagging feeling that I've known you before, like we've met somewhere in college," she said, now Peter looks more confused.

"Do you go by the name Peter O'Brien in college?" She asked.

"Umm... Yes," he responded still somewhat confused.

"I'm Jasmine Collins, we had history class together and even got assigned together for a group assignment?" She said trying to juggle his memories.

"Oh!" He said remembering her, though see still didn't look familiar.

"But–" he said while she cut him off.

"Yeah! I know, the hair, I used to dye it blond and the nose, I had a surgery due to accident," she explained.

"Ohh!... I'm sorry!" He apologized thinking he's offended her, now the familiarities sinking in.

"No! Don't stress, not a big deal," she said.

They ended up exchanging numbers promising to keep in touch.

(A year later — Peter's thoughts)

Peter and Jasmine fulfilled their promises of staying in touch, they communicated with each other through phone calls, texts and online messages, they decided to go on a date, a date became two, two became several.

They started dating each other after those several dates, as they found chemistry within and became an official item.

Jasmine became the fourth wheel or the second depending on perspective, to their little group, she became close friends with the other two and even closer with Antonio, as they had a lot in common, studied the same course in college and the same line of work, they used to have friendly banters.

**********


Peter

While I was busy with my train-of-thought, I sighted them from my peripheral view coming down the stairs, I lifted my head looking up at them, they walked down the stairs in a walk-of-shame with their heads down not trying to make eye-contact with me, I awaited them to come closer to ask them the most pressing question I had in mind.

"When did this started?" They hesitated for some moments as if trying to decide which one of them should answer my question, I waited.

"Three months ago," Jasmine answered for them, so it was three months ago? And we've got engaged two months ago, what did she take me for? Why would she even accept my proposal for marriage? She could have said no or something, or break-up with me to be with him, but no! She chose to be a cheat and cheat on me.

I had a lot of questions on my mind, but even if I knew their answers nothing would change, it won't stop me from feeling how I felt right now, how betrayed I felt, how angry and frustrated I am, it will be better to cut things off right now.

"You know what? It's over between us," I said to Jasmine, "and you too!" I said to Antonio pointing at him with my right index finger, "we aren't friends anymore."

I tightened my hands into knuckles to suppress my anger, to avoid punching him in the face.

Back there upstairs, I wanted to beat the shit out of them, but I ended up being frustrated and angry, because I can't, well... I won't hit a lady, that would be bad of me and hitting only Antonio alone won't be enough for a relief, both are at fault, it wasn't like a rape scenario where I'll intervene, she's a willing participant based on what I've seen, they didn't seems to be remotely remorseful, except for being regretful for being caught due to lack of necessary precautions.

I headed upstairs to pick up the documents that actually brought me here in the first place, now everything went down the drain so rapidly, it's for the good though.

It's better than finding out later after getting married or further, now that I'm out of the abyss of being in love, everything seems clearer.

Like when I proposed, she didn't act enthusiastic about it, back then, I thought whether my proposal was earlier or below her expectations.

She said it's okay when I asked, that she was just flustered about it.

I found what I came looking for and headed downstairs, they were seated on the couch discussing something, something I won't be interested in, I just walked out the door leaving them to themselves.

0