Chapter 5: Ms Devia
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Devia is pronounced as They-via.

 



 

 

Location: Forest of Village Uri,  South of Diptabhumi

Day: Healer of Triad Days (First Triad Day)

  

Eka found herself in a virtual game, determined to take on the role of the most developed NPC, even though the term "Awoken" eluded her understanding. She held out hope that the mysteries of her character would become clearer upon her escape from the game.

With a resolute mindset, she organized her objectives into two categories: immediate and secondary. The first goal was to escape, while the second was to unravel the enigma surrounding her situation, and the third was to use the emergency cue.

"System, log in. Name, Eternity."

[Access Denied] 

Eka's voice, though sweet, held a determined edge. "System, login."

[Access Denied] 

Frustration brewed, and Eka found herself tearing out a few strands of her hair.

"System—"

"Hey there, fine lady!" Jakal's voice interrupted, having just completed a loot run in the game. He claimed that hidden gold awaited in one of the rooms.

Eka briefly considered taking some gold, but the eerie atmosphere of the game gave her pause. Irritation surged, and an itch on her arm alarmed her once more, serving as a stark reminder of her virtual entrapment.

"Fine lady—"

"Eka." She snapped, struggling to keep her composure. There was still hope.

"Oh, Eka. This person met this person's idol. She looked so sexy. Mmm-hmm. She is the best."

"Tell me." Eka fixed a glare on Jakal, attempting to regain her focus.

Jakal responded with a sheepish smile. "The boss is always elusive. Her assistant, Ms. Devia, took this person's holo call. According to her, she had no news about such a mission. When this person provided her with proof, she congratulated this person and sent this person away."

Jakal's presence continued to grate on Eka, a stark contrast to the admiration she had felt just moments ago. She found herself fantasizing about punching him, hoping it might alleviate the itchiness that consumed her.

Taking a deep breath, Eka finally said, "Jakal, you've done a great job." The radiant smile that lit up Jakal's face nearly blinded her. "As a reward, I'll give you a test."

Jakal wrinkled his nose. "No test is a reward. This person never got the Augmented VR station, even after passing high school."

"When did you pass?"

"Is this part of the test?"

"Just answer it," Eka nearly shouted.

"This year. This person got a B in Biology among the Cs."

"Alright, let's get back on track. How often do you play The World of Ira?"

Jakal's enthusiasm was palpable. "A lot, and you know what? There's this incredible blog this person owns which is completely devoted to our idol. She's a sensation worldwide, equipped with the best gear everyone dreams of."

Eka couldn't hide her exasperation. "Can we focus on the game, please?"

"But why?" Jakal protested.

Eka sighed, collecting her thoughts. "What can you tell me about the game? How popular is it? Wait, what year is it? I thought it was 2165."

Jakal seemed puzzled. "What's with the random questions? It's 2195. And speaking of that blog..."

"Thirty years?!"

Jakal ignored Eka's outburst and continued, "So, as this person was saying, this fan has followed Ira since Ms. Devia first came down as Devious and made that memorable kill during the massacre of Auruto City in the Zora Empire. It was a brutal slave-trading village, and she was the only one to wipe it out after years of other players trying."

Eka interjected, trying to refocus Jakal. "Jakal, back to the original question."

"Oh, right. What was it?"

Eka felt like she was dealing with a child. "What about Mohira Karmakar? Is she the boss?"

Jakal finally stayed on point. "Yes, she's the boss, but she's incredibly elusive. This person has even spoken to Ms. Devia herself. She's such a sweet person and even invited this person for a one-on-one hand spar tomorrow."

Eka couldn't hide her urgency. "Alright, that's enough. Can you hear something breaking?"

"What? "

"My patience. Contact this person with me."

"But Ms. Devia is offline. Why do you need to contact her? The mission is complete."

"It's a new one."

"Alright, this person needs to log out for that and initiate a holo call. Can you believe she shared her private contact with this person? Hold onto this person's Arrival Stone." Jakal handed Eka his Arrival Stone. "By the way, how would an NPC interact with a player outside of their role?"

Eka couldn't help but be astonished. "I'm an Awoken, remember? "

Jakal nodded, his approval serving as a silent response to all his unanswered questions. With no time to spare, he swiftly tapped the unassuming stone. In an instant, the stone emitted a brief, crimson glow, coinciding with the blinking red dot above his head. Then, he blinked out of existence, successfully logging off.

Eka, left with the curious round stone in her hand, examined it from every angle. It appeared no different from any other roadside stone. Her excitement was palpable as she couldn't stand still, bouncing from foot to foot and letting out a jubilant hoot.

"I did it! I did it," she exclaimed, but a sudden realization struck her. "Wait. Thirty years? I am fifty!" She examined her body, rubbing her arms in disbelief, but found no signs of aging.

Her mind raced with questions. Had she been out of the game for just twenty-two hours? Who had taken over her life in the real world? And who in the world was Ms. Devia? Jakal would not lie. A stalker fan will have intimate knowledge of her idol's achievements. None of the timelines made sense; it was all a perplexing puzzle.

One thing remained clear in her mind – her body should have aged significantly during thirty years of gameplay. She might need to resort to using the emergency cue to make sense of this bewildering situation.

0