Chapter 1
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Please state your name and ID for the record.” The Human Alliance officer stared me dead in the eyes as he lightly tapped his pencil on his tablet. 

 

“Eos Hackett. H-1894501364.” I slumped down in the metal chair, pulling at the handcuffs. 

 

“State your occupation.”

 

“Space cargo transporter.”

 

“State your ship name and ID.” He went down the list of necessary information that needed to be filled out. Could he do it himself? Sure, but did the H.A. always enjoy using it as an intimidation tactic? Of course. 

 

“Normandy SR-3. ID: kiss my ass; you already have my information.”

 

“Ma’am, please just corporate with us. The sooner you do that, the sooner you can get out of her and back to your job.” The man leaned back in his seat, not looking all too happy.

 

I scoffed. “As if I want to get back to that. You just want me to work with you so I can make your job easier.”

 

“Madam,” EVO, the experimental AI plugged into my brain, interrupted the slew of insults that were coming the officer’s way, “I think it would be wise to corporate while you wait for Captain Rix’s response.”

 

“Shut up, EVO.” I mumbled to myself.

 

“What was that, ma’am?” The man scowled at me, leaning forward in his chair. I held my hands up in mock surrender. He opened his mouth to speak again, but there was a knock at the interrogation room. The officer got up to answer, whispering to the other man. EVO tuned me into their conversation. Basically, as I already knew, they had nothing on me and could only hold me for so long. Obviously, Rix and I were careful enough not to get caught by some H.A. officers, but that also meant I was stuck here until they released me or until Rix came and released me himself. 

 

The H.A. soldier sighed, before turning back to me. “Come with me. We’re done in here.” I smirked at him, standing up and following him to the front foyer. “Sit here and wait until you are released. And don’t get into any trouble.” He pointed towards a seat, which I took, thankful to be out of the stuffy interrogation room.

 

I waited for him to walk away before talking to EVO again. “ETA on Rix?”

 

“Captain Rix has responded, saying that he is on his way. He will be here within a few hours, madam.”

 

I sighed, pulling my legs up onto the chair. I uncomfortably shifted in the seat and watched as officers rushed past me, everyone seemingly so busy. A younger man in military uniform walked past me, a tablet in his hand. He glanced up at me for a moment and raised an eyebrow as I winked at him. He shook his head and tried to continue walking, but was forced to a sudden stop as my legs were extended in front of him.

 

“Hey there, pretty boy.” I smirked.

 

“That’s not…” He trailed off. “Can I help you?”

 

“You can help me by not rushing by me so fast. At least slow down so I can enjoy the view.”

 

“I...don’t know how to respond.” He clasped his hands behind his back, tablet still in hand. 

 

I looked up at him, the smirk still pasted on my face. “You seem the type.”

 

“The...type? What kind of type?”

 

“The type who doesn't know how to flirt.” I laughed, rolling my eyes. 

 

“Then you’d be correct. I...should probably go.” He looked away.

 

“You could. Or you could pull up a seat and hang out with me for a while.”

 

"I'm not sure I should even be talking to you." He looked around.

 

“No one is yelling. Yet.”

 

"Why would you even want to talk to me? Are you going to try something?" He took a slight step away from me.

 

I shook my head “Wasn't planning on it. It's not like I can do much with my hands behind my back.” I pulled at the cuffs slightly. “But you can always do things to me instead.” I winked at him again. 

 

"Not...interested in that, sorry." He rubbed his arm nervously, after strapping his tablet to his belt.

 

“No fun.” I batted my eyes at him, pouting my bottom lip.

 

"We're in a public area."

 

“You could always drag me off into the broom closet.” 

 

"I'm busy. And you're...being arrested."

 

“I'm waiting to be released.” I corrected him. “There's a difference.”

 

"You're still in handcuffs, in a police station."

 

“I…” I opened my mouth. “You are correct. But, if you want, we can play cop and robbers, and you can show me what happens to bad girls.”

 

"You...I--I..." He seemed to be able able to think of a way to respond. He looked away and ran his fingers through his hair.

 

I laughed. “Get out of here, kid. If you take any longer talking to me, you're going to be late.”

 

"Right." He nodded slowly before quickly walking away.


“Come on, Eos.” Rix walked over in front of me. I couldn’t help by to admire his strong features, as well as the trademark white streak in his hair. He always looked pretty cool, in my book.

 

I stood up from the chair. “Have you come to free me?”

 

He sighed. “Yes. But I'm getting tired of doing this.”

 

“Hey, it's not like I wanted to get pulled over. Someone must have flagged my ship. But they didn't find anything, so don't you worry your cute little tush.” He raised an eyebrow. “Fine. Large tush. I wasn't going to tell you, but it's gotten kind of large these last few months.”

 

"Really. Be careful." He smiled slightly.

 

“I'm just saying. I think you've been eating one too many doughnuts as of late.”

 

"Then stop buying donuts. I won't be able to steal them."

 

“I like big butts, though.” I winked at him.

 

Rix signed me out of the station, leading the way out the door afterwards. We got on the tram to downtown. I watched out the window, looking at the city. It was a city as well as a H.A. outpost, meaning many of the citizens were soldiers. The city itself was fine, but I had been here too many times, mostly when getting flagged at the nearby checkpoint, but this was also where Rix lived. I knew one thing about the city though, the lower you get in the city, the shadier it gets, whereas the opposite is also true, leaving the highest levels to the richest. I hated cities like that with such a divide. 

 

We’d have to retrieve my ship soon enough, but both of us agreed on getting some dinner first. I took a bite of my burger and smiled over at Rix who sat across from me. He was looking down at his tablet. “Rix.” I leaned forward. “Pay attention to me.” He raised his eyebrow, without looking up at me.

 

“Rix.” I pouted. 

 

“Madam, if I may.” EVO spoke in my ear. “I can turn his screen off if you’d like.” 

 

I smiled devilishly. “Do it.”

 

Promptly the screen turned off, making Rix look up at me. “Really?”

 

I smiled. “Yeah. You can’t ignore me.”

 

He cracked a smile. “I wish you didn’t have that thing. He works against me too often.”

 

I laughed. “You know you love him. Rix-” I was droned out by a group of men cheering at the bar. I raised an eyebrow at them. One of the men hit the other man on the back causing him to turn so I could see his face. My eyes widened slightly.

 

“That is the man you met at the police station, madam.” EVO reminded me.

 

“I know.” I rolled my eyes, standing up from the table and walking over towards them.

 

After nearing, I pushed myself in between him and one of the other men. I grabbed the shot from the man, raising it to my lips with a smirk as he watched me. As I was about to drink it, Rix grabbed it from me, reaching around the man before setting it back down in front of him.

 

“You're no fun, Rix.” I pouted. “I just wanted to join in on their party.”

 

"I doubt you're partying for the same reasons." Rix shook his head.

 

“Hey, partying’s partying. I’ll party in the name of anything.”

 

“Madam.” EVO spoke up once again. “The men you are talking to are Atlas Avitus, Santos Perrott, Farald Wellman, and Kegan Andrews.” He pulled up their files, showing me on my HUD.  I pushed the files to the side for later.



"New friends there, Atlas?" One of the men, Kegan, raised an eyebrow.



"Nope." Atlas shook his head.

 

“So, Atlas, were you late? Or did you make it on time?” I smiled over at him.

 

"Right on time. Told you, no time for...broom closet fun.” He answered quietly.



"How did you two meet?" Rix looked between us.

 

“He saw me when I was in cuffs. Told me that he wanted to use those cuffs to his advantage.” I smirked, never taking my eyes off of him.

 

"Oh really?" The other man wrapped an arm around his shoulders.



"That is not what hap-" Atlas began.



"Avitus has a new, hot girlfriend, Atlas Avitus." One of the other guys laughed, emphasizing his name in surprise.

 

“A very hot one, if I do say so myself.” I said, shrugging. “I agree with her.” I spoke from the side of my mouth. I nodded. “I like whoever said that. They get a free handy.”

 

"She is very attractive." Farald smiled.



"I like how open she is too." Kegan smirked at me, tilting his chin up slightly.

 

“I like it too, big guy.” I sat down on the small free space on his stool. 

 

"Why don't we get to know each other?" He smiled his face only a few inches away.


"Come on, Kegan, leave her alone." Santos laughed.

 

“What if I don't want to be left alone?” I smirked over at Santos. “I like his suggestion.”

 

"Eos." Rix laughed, shaking his head. "We should be going."

 

I groaned, standing up. “Just when I was starting to have fun. So, Atlas, can I get your number? Since I am, of course, your girlfriend now.”

 

"Um...why?" He raised an eyebrow.



"Come on, Avitus." Farald hit his arm. "Don't be so rude."



He looked over at him before searching his pockets for any paper. Kegan suddenly held out a pen and a piece of paper.  "You're hopeless." He shook his head.



"Yet you're too prepared, Kegan." Farald raised an eyebrow.



He took the paper and pen from Ron before writing his number down. In all honestly, I didn’t really need it, but at the same time, I didn't want to call him without having got his number. It usually creeps people out. He looked over at me again before slowly holding it out.

 

I smiled before taking it. “I promise to only use it for emergencies. Enjoy the rest of your night, boys.” I turned on my heel and walked away, following Rix. 


“So,” I put my feet up on the coffee table, shouting out to Rix, who was in his bedroom, “are we having a party tonight?”

 

“No, I’m going to bed.” He called back.

 

“Boooring.” I stood up, walking over to the bedroom, watching as he pulled on a pair of pajama pants. “Come on, can’t we have a little fun tonight before we get my ship?”

 

“I have work tomorrow if you don’t remember.” He raised an eyebrow. “And you should stay out of trouble.”

 

I pouted, crossing my arms. “No fun.”

 

“Eo-” He was cut off by his eyepiece lighting up. I sighed deeply and left the room to give him his privacy, walking over to sit down on the couch again. My bed until we get my ship back. “I guess I’ve got to take my injection anyways.” I spoke to myself bitterly.

 

After a while, Rix walked out of his room, fully dressed once more. “I have to get back to work. I’ll see you later.” With that, he walked out the door, not saying anything more.

 

“Guess I’m taking the bed then.” I spoke to myself, getting up and walking back into his room. I grabbed my bag after sitting on the bed and unzipped it, taking one of the injections out. I knew after taking this I was gonna be knocked out for the night and feel real shitty tomorrow, but I didn’t have a choice.


Rix got home late last night, barely before the suns rose. He was tired, but before he kicked me out of bed and crashed, he told me I had a delivery to make today. So that’s what I’m doing, walking through one of the lower levels, the package in my bag. On my way there, I had to drop by Spud’s, though. Well, his name isn’t actually Spud, as his race, the Nok, doesn’t use names, but that’s what I call him.

 

“How’s my favorite jelly man?” I asked, a large smile on my face. Almost everyone in the galaxy has a translator implant, making it so we can all understand one another. Pretty handy, honestly. “I brought your favorite.” I handed him a bottle of nectar I had picked up off-world.

 

“Thank you, human.” He responded, buzzing slightly as he spoke. He took the bottle from me and began drinking. I could see the green liquid flow into him. “For you.” He picked a kebab off the grill, handing it to me. It’s best not to ask where he gets his meat, honestly. 

 

“Thanks, Spud!” I took a bite, savoring the juicy meat. “Any gossip on the streets?”

 

“Another human has been seen joining the Uroborus gang.”

 

“Damn, they’ve really lowered their standards.” I tilted my head to the side slightly. “Anything juicer? Anything from higher levels?” I looked up, watching as the ships hovered over us.

 

“The mayor’s wife was found sleeping with a Trizrk.”

 

“Kinky.” I laughed, mostly to myself. Saarak are a reptile race and usually are space pirates, making it that much more scandalous. “They can be pretty fun in bed, so  I won’t judge too much.” I shrugged. “Alright, Spud. I’ve got to get going. Keep me in mind if you get anything good.”

 

“See you again, human.” He jiggled slightly as I walked away.


After an easy drop-off, I decided to put into a nearby club and reward myself with a drink. Whoever said day drinking is bad has never gotten day drunk. The club was busy, due to many races partying here through the night and into the day. Clubs like this don’t shut down since there’s too much money to be made. 

 

I walked over to the bar, ordering something human-friendly before a hand touched my backside.

 

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t the lovely Eos.” I sighed deeply, turning toward the voice. A human I used to fuck around with occasionally.

 

“Lysander.” I exhaled sharply. “What brings you here? Touching me?”

 

“Oh, come on, we’ve done a lot more than touching before.” He smiled at me, looking like a real douche, his hair slicked back and a large chain around his neck. A very retro douchebag.

 

“Back when I tolerated you.” I raised an eyebrow. “And before you stole from me.”

 

“You’re not still mad about that are you?” He said, sliding into the seat next to me.

 

“At the very least, you deserve to pay my tab that I’m planning on racking up today.”

 

“That all depends on if you'll let me join you for those drinks.”

 

“Nah.” I leaned against him, taking up a spot on his stool.

 

He motioned to the bartender for some drinks. “We had a lot of fun back then, wouldn’t you say, Eos?” 

 

“Eh, maybe.” I shrugged. “Mostly 'cause I brought drugs. Once again, that you stole.”

 

“You really need to stop living in the past.” He said as he leaned forward and took a sip of the drink the bartender had just set down.

 

  I took a sip of my own drink, complimenting his job. I stood up from the stool. “Bye, Lysander. Remember to pay my tab.” I called out as I walked away, surveying the lounge for someone to take me home for the night. My eyes stopped on an older-looking Trizrk. From his grooming, he seemed to be a part of the Ukkarth, meaning the more civilized ones of their race. I’ve run into a handful of the Ukkrt, their more ruthless ones while out in space. I admittedly prefer the looks of the Ukkrt, but that’s cause they look more predatory.

 

“Hey there.” I walked over to him. He looked up at me with his dark hallow eyes. “Looking for some company?”

 

“I don’t pay.” He said, looking back down at his drink.

 

I laughed. “I usually don’t charge.”

 

“Your pimp must dislike you then.” He said, looking me up and down before motioning to the seat next to him.

 

“I’m not a hooker. Last time I checked.” I smiled, taking the seat.

 

“What are you doing around here then?” 

 

“Looking for someone to hook up with. And get a little drunk.” I held my drink up.

 

“Are all of you Humans so…” He paused. “Forward?” 

 

“Nah, not too many of them. I’m pretty special.” I took a large gulp of my drink before setting it back down.

 

He smiled, showing all his short pointed teeth. “I’m Vorian, and you are?”

 

“Call me Eos.”

 

“Well, Eos, if your goal is to get me drunk, you’re going to have to order something more substantial than what we have.” 

 

“Gladly.” I stood up, walking over to grab us something stronger. I returned with as many drinks as I could carry. “I bet I could put you under the table.”


I rang the alarm on the door, leaning against the wall as I waited. After a few moments, the door slid open to reveal one of the men from the bar a few nights ago. Santos, if I remember correctly. “Atlas here?” I raised an eyebrow.

 

“Uhh.” I looked back into the apartment. “Yeah. Let me grab him.” The door closed once more as he backed away.

 

“You as surprised as me that he messages me, EVO?”

 

“I cannot be surprised, madam.” EVO commented, causing me to roll my eyes. 

 

After a while longer, Atlas appeared at the door. He seemed a lot more cleaned up than at the bar and even seemed to put some sort of cologne on. I raised an eyebrow at him, standing up from the wall. “Got a date or something, kid? Who’re you getting dressed up for?”

 

His eyes widened, as he quickly looked away. “I--I…” He trailed off, rubbing his neck nervously. “No one.” He looked back up at me, almost as if he was seeing if I bought his answer.

 

“Cool.” I shrugged. “Let’s hit the road. Where are you taking me?”

 

“Does lunch sound okay? I was hoping on...breakfast...but it’s too late for that.”

 

“Sorry. Got caught up. Woke up late with a hangover in a stranger’s bed. Had to head back to get a shower and changed.” I shrugged, watching as Atlas pressed the button on the elevator.

 

“I...see.” He didn’t look at me as he backed away from the keypad.

 

“Surprised you messaged me, soldier boy.” I crossed my arms. “Didn’t take you for the kind of guy who would. Didn’t really get the vibe you wanted to be around me.”

 

“I wanted to get to know you a bit better.” He finally looked over at me. His expression was soft. Genuine. A rare thing. 

 

“Consider me flattered.” I laughed, stepping out of the elevator and onto the street. “Can’t expect a soldier boy like you to have a personal shuttle, can I?”

 

“Well, we’re going off-world soon. So, no.” He shook his head, looking somewhat disappointed. 

 

“Lead the way to lunch then.” I motioned. The both of us started down the street. I glanced across the road. On the other side of the street were a few sketchy merchants. Four Saaraks crowded around a booth, listening to the Glacialis’ sales pitch. Likely snake oil, or maybe reptilian oil in this case.  

 

“So,” I looked back over at Atlas as he spoke up, “where are you from?”

 

“Earth, actually. But I moved to an Eezo colony when I was pretty young. What about you?”

 

“Space colony. In Artemis Tau. It was mostly humans.” EVO pulled up a handful of pictures of the colony. It was mostly rocky, without too much vegetation. No doubt perfect for mining.

 

“Military parents?” I titled my head to the side.

 

“Yeah.” He nodded. “My mom settled down once she had me and my sister, though.”

 

“Oh. You have a sister?” I looked over at him. 

 

“Yeah. A younger one. She’s great.” Atlas smiled slightly, looking down happily.

 

“Do you have a holo?” 

 

Atlas pulled one up on his wrist device, sending it over to me. I smiled at the holo of his sister riding on his back, both looking happy.

 

“I always wanted siblings.” I smiled slightly. “But it was only ever me…and my mom.” I added the last part quietly.

 

“I assume your mom isn’t around anymore.” Atlas looked over at me sympathetically.

 

I shook my head. “Nah. Not for a long time.” I wanted to leave it at that.

 

Thankfully, we arrived at the location for lunch, interrupting us for a while as we got a seat. Atlas recommended a few things to order, leading me to get a local favorite. The cafe was stuffed with mostly humans, but a handful of other races. We grabbed our food and took a free seat.

 

“Did you join ‘cause of your parents?” I asked

 

“Ye--yeah. Mostly. Wanted to make them proud.” He nodded, a small smile on his face. “Your…friend. The Captain, right?”

 

“Oh, Rix? Yeah, we’re friends.”

 

“He’s very…attractive.” He blushed darkly as he looked away.

 

“That's who you got dressed up for, isn’t it?” I smiled devilishly. 

 

“What?! No!” he quickly looked over at me, his blush spreading. “I--I…” Atlas trailed off, sighing deeply. “He’s very attractive.” He repeated himself after a while.

 

“He sure is.” I shrugged. “And he’s all yours 'cause he’s gay. Don’t tell him I told you, though.”

 

“You’re joking… right?” He said, sitting up with an undeniable smile spreading across his face.

 

“Not in the slightest.” I shrugged.

 

“So could you like…y’know?” He said, glancing up at me before looking away.

 

“Sure.” I smiled with another small shrug. “I-” I got cut off by my HUD displaying a call from Rix. “Gotta take this.” I held my finger up. “What’s up?”

 

“I got your ship released. You need to come down here for me.”

 

“Alright.” I responded as he hung up. “Hey, kid. I’ve gotta go, but I’ll put a good word in for you, ‘ight?”

 

“Sure.” He nodded slightly, looking down at my barely touched food. 

 

I picked it up and stood up. “We’ll do this another time.”

 

“Right.”


 

1