Chapter 08 – Money-less… once more…
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"When are you going to teach me about... anything?" Emma spoke up in between bites. She had finished her biscuits and was now chewing on one apple, not having the gall or appetite for anything else, despite being the one who ordered all the food.

Nomad made the sound of acknowledgment and responded.

"Whenever I have the time. Or patience, I suppose."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's been, what? A few days, at best, since you first started trailing after me. Have patience."

Nomad eyed his reflection in his tea and wondered how much more it would cost to grab some expensive ale and not give a damn about his budget or financial instability. However, the thought soon passed just like it had come and Nomad continued eating his food.

Emma didn't exchange any other words with him, surprisingly, the silence filled only by the clatter and noise of plates as people dug into their meals with no concern for decorum in the inn.

Later that morning, Nomad decided it was time he made some quick money and left the town. Staying in one place wasn't really his preference. He had his suspicions regarding the pass Emma had used anyway. Spending more than two days would be beyond what Nomad would consider a bad choice. He was going to the Adventurers Guild soon. If anything, he'd planned to complete a few low-rank requests to make some quick money as well as get some more Aether.

First, though, he needed some equipment to carry out his plan. The dull sword he'd gotten from the Head Goblin wouldn't help much and he wouldn't use his fists unless necessary. And given that his recent death proved how being under geared was something that he could not allow, not if he wanted to avoid falling unconscious or worse getting his soul injured more than he could recover.

Now that he had the Copper Pennies from yesterday, it was only a matter of getting a weapon and some armor.

He found himself in front of the Adventurer's Guild again, thinking over his choices for equipment. He was indecisive regarding what exactly he wanted. There weren't many high-quality weapons or armor he could purchase without bleeding his pockets dry—though that wouldn't be a problem later.

Regardless, it would be better to get a quest or two before he tried making a contract with a blacksmith or merchant.

The problem now, however, was his identity and appearance. Having a former hero around town would definitely attract attention if people started recognizing him despite centuries having passed. The most effective solution would be to assume a different name and identity while he worked in the public eye. He already had a story about 'pilgrimage'.

The orc woman on the counter spoke, her words snapping Nomad out of his thoughts, and he turned his attention towards her.

"Yes, traveler. Why, do you not have anything to say? If so, please move, there are others waiting." She crossed her arms.

Her appearance and height might be intimidating. Nomad, now quite taller than average thanks to the lack of aging and his body being in prime condition due to his shard, was still a tad shorter than her.

He blinked, leaning in slowly, "Well, I would like to register."

She nodded, "You worked as an adventurer before?"

"I have, but I'm on a pilgrimage with my daughter at the moment, and I lost my adventurer's card on the journey; the goblins weren't the only things I had to fight, you see." He shrugged.

"...Right." She looked at him dubiously, then walked to the back.

In a few moments, she picked up a paper from her pile of parchments and waved the green-tinted paper at Nomad before handing it to him.

"Fill out the form. Your card will be ready. That'll be 20 Copper Pennies, upfront. You're free to take on any Quest you like; we will not be responsible for your death, so tread carefully." She paused, offering a curt smile, and raised her hand, picking up

Nomad raised an eyebrow, taking it with ease, and handed her 20 Copper Pennies. He only had 4 Copper Pennies remaining, having already spent 9 on the Inn for the night, 2 for the food, and 20 for the card... And here he wanted to go look for armor and weapons. He'd be better off going without them, at least he'd earn more.

He filled out the form. Kingdom of Sut as his residency, so there weren't any contractions with the Attestation Stone that Emma called a traveling pass, along with his fake name, and some other details, and he was done. He felt he'd been scammed. They had no tests to determine ranks--he'd have to simply complete Quests to climb ranks, and even then, he could take on any Quest.

Why'd they need so much money, then? Was 'this' how the guild was more lavish than the town itself? Who ran the guild then? It was likely just a business to rip people off and send the money to the owner... The Adventures Guild, at least this one, was corrupt. How things changed in the weirdest of ways in time, though upon some thinking it wasn't illogical for guilds to do that.

Nomad grabbed his card off her hands once he was done, staring at her professional smile.

"Rank 1 Tank. Good luck with your quests and commissions. Feel free to check the request boards," she added with a cheerful tone before dismissing him. Nomad let out a heavy sigh, closing the door behind him as he walked out and made way to the board.

He couldn't help but wonder if the Goblin Ears were worth 35 Copper Pennies, or more. They were likely more. The kingdoms had found more ways to rip off money, it seemed. Nomad looked at the different sheets of paper hanging on the wooden board. Nomad traced down the list, reading them carefully, looking through the available Quests he could take.

He was definitely scammed.

Even the most basic of Quests gave a few Copper Pennies, let alone slaying a damn Head Goblin.

[Quest for slaying a Head Goblin and delivering his ear. 42 Copper Pennies.]

To think he'd given not only the Head Goblin's ears but the rest as well, it should have at least been over or near 50 Copper Pennies. Nomad could feel Emma's mocking snorts echoing around his thoughts.

He ignored it and found most if not all Quests doable. There were no dragons to slay, after all. He picked up the highest-paying quest regarding some feral boar, it seemed he'd only need to skin the beast and sell its pelt. Easy enough. But, as per usual, his plan had to be delayed for one reason.

"Hey, you! Stop right there, [Witch]." A tall man with a scarred face and a large axe on his back said to the woman beside him. She held the quest paper in her hand.

The man wore leather armor, and he also looked the type that would enjoy brawls and wrestling with beasts or other large men. He was built the same, muscles visible from just his frame. He had a helmet on, with the design of a beast, covering the top of his head. The helmet was held tight to his head via a single strap going around his chin. Not to mention he'd come out equipped and fully geared for a hunt, with his axe on the back and an array of small throwing knives attached to his belt.

"What do you want?" the woman, a redhead Nomad guessed was the [Witch], asked, annoyed.

"I want that wuest. I've had my eyes on it for a while. I'm finally free to pursue it. Give it to me." The man demanded lazily, pointing at the paper in her hand.

"Why should I? I got it fair and square. Find your own quest," she replied, clutching the paper tightly.

"Fair and square? Heh. You're a [Witch], nothing's 'fair and square' with your kind. You have no chance of killing that boar anyway. You're just wasting your time and mine. I need this quest."

"I said no. If you want this quest, you'll have to fight me for it," she challenged, fixing her hat as her eyes flickered purple.

The scarred, rough-looking man frowned, "Why, you can't even solve a problem without resorting to violent tendencies? This is exactly why [Witches] shouldn't be accepted here in the first place. You people always have the worst attitude. Fine, if this is what you desire."

Nomad had little to no interest in their little conflict, nor did he care she was a [Witch]. All he wanted was that quest. The question was, how?


READ AHEAD FOR FREE ON ROYAL ROAD!

1