Chapter 0- The past I left behind…
1.3k 7 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I am sorry, Arthur, but it seems we were never destined to be one. I know I have hurt you and your family by betraying you, but Carl is my true love. I can't live without him, and living like a doll with my heart somewhere else would do nothing good to you. So yeah, this is a farewell."

And with that, my wife whom I married eight months ago, left me.

Before marriage, I did ask her more than twice if she had someone else in her life so I could deny the marriage from my side. However, she just shook her head on the matter. 

Later, it turned out she just had a big fight with her boyfriend and to make him jealous she ended up marrying me. Isn't it ridiculous? I mean, what did I do wrong to earn this? What was my family's mistake in this?

Regardless of my complaints, I never argued with her or even raised my voice. I was brought up in an environment where I was taught to respect my partner's choices and thus, the one to propose divorce was me and I even compensated for it.

My ex-wife's parents don't know the truth behind the divorce and neither does my parents and brother. They all think that I had an affair which caused this annulment. However, I was fine with it. After all, I could live with the taunts and accusations but my ex-wife...she deserves to be happy.

Even if it was brief I have begun to develop feelings for her, as such, I want her to remain happy for both of us 

'Haah...I should get going...' Paying the bill, I left the cafe with nothing going on my mind.

I have received several calls from my mother and brother but I didn't have the strength to hear their words as of now. I just wanted to remain alone for some time.

Walking under the moonlight, I headed toward nowhere. My feet just moved but my mind remained at a certain pause. 

I had no idea how long I walked but seeing the scarce people around me, I could tell that it was past midnight.

Suddenly, my eyes landed on a church, which was nowhere near the cafe I was sitting in previously; which tells how far I have traveled. 

Regardless, since I was already here, I thought to visit the church and try to get some help. 

However, just as I began crossing the road, a blinding light enveloped me, making me shield my face but my senses have turned so dull, that I never noticed the blaring horn of the truck.

And as a consequence of that, I died.

---------------

"Mm...." My head hurts. 

It hurts a lot.

"Ah..." However, I have never heard that a headache could cause one's voice to change. 

I remained still for a moment, trying to remember what happened to me. After that truck hit me, my consciousness went blank.

And now, "Hmm?" I again let out a sound, and indeed this wasn't my voice. It sounded thin and more feminine for some reason.

Regardless, I just tried to collect my thoughts and slowly opened my eyes. 

It was a white ceiling with no patterns and a fall ceiling. By the smell of my surroundings, I could tell that this was a hospital. 

'Did I survive?' The way my body was thrown away, I was sure that I would die. After all, who could survive being hit by a truck and crashing into a traffic light?

I tried moving my limbs and surprisingly they all were moving fine...however, there was something different about my body. It felt a little different than how I was used to. 

I raise my hand to see whether my arm was replaced with the prosthetic or something...only to find something entirely different.

'Is this my hand?' I was never a bulky guy with a lot of veins and muscles but still, one could simply see the difference between an arm of an adult male and this.

The hand my eyes were greeted with was a lot pale and the nails on my fingers were perfectly trimmed and polished with fancy black nail paint. There was a ring on my ring finger which I didn't recognize. In the first place, I threw my engagement ring some days ago, so how come...

To break my train of thought, suddenly someone walked inside the room and advanced toward me,

"Xiao Mei...are you alright now?" He spoke in a language that I recognized to be Chinese, but I wasn't proficient in speaking multiple languages. 

In the end, I only tilted my head and asked the man, "Who?"

The man remained stunned for a moment at his spot, looking at me with slightly widened eyes, before he opened his mouth to say something. However, even after waiting for a few seconds, he didn't utter anything.

He dropped his head in what seemed like regret and self-frustration before turning on his heel and walking back. 

I remained still, trying to gauge my situation and who that excessively handsome guy was when suddenly my head began hitting again. And this time, it wasn't just blindness that enveloped my senses, but several memories of a person whom I didn't know.

And as a side effect of those many memories, I soon lost consciousness.

*****

A/N:- This won't be a slow burn since—Well, you will know. Drop a comment.

46