Chapter 5- First dinner?
950 5 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

How many months has it been? 

It had been eight months since Cheng Wei and Xiao Mei's marriage, and years for him to love her one-sidedly, however, not even a single time in these months, did Cheng Wei expect any kindness from Xiao Mei.

And why would she be kind toward someone like him, who took advantage of her father's helplessness to ask her hand in marriage? Why wouldn't she hate someone who stole her from her love and made her a housewife, at the tender age of her youth? 

However, Cheng Wei was a little too full of himself to think, he would be able to make her; his. That she might come to love him as well one day. 

It wasn't an expectation, rather, more like a hope.

However, things went south, and rather than falling for him, Xiao Mei's hatred elevated to the point where she began hurting herself. And that was where Cheng Wei decided to end things with her...

...he just couldn't allow himself to see her getting hurt every single minute while being bound to him.

Cheng Wei planned to hand over the divorce paper today, however, today something changed.

Keeping aside the fact that Xiao Mei herself arrived downstairs to ask for food, there was something that shook Cheng Wei down the core. And that was the fact, that, Xiao Mei was waiting for him to have dinner.

For a moment alone, the thought of proposing the divorce wavered...however, Cheng Wei strengthened his resolve.

'...but, just for some hours...' A smile lifted the edges of his lips as he drove through the city to reach his mansion.

He was going to have his first dinner with his wife.

****

[Xiao Mei's POV:]

The expression Mr. Cheng held upon hearing my greetings was priceless.

I mean, imagine an ever-stoic man to widen his eyes slightly and halt in the middle of loosening his tie. 

I looked at him with my brows raised, a teasing smile never leaving my face before I asked,

"Is there something wrong?" Hearing my words, the man coughed and regained his composure.

I noticed, that whenever he tries to get back in his businessman aura, he draws his brows closer and tightens his jaw to look manly.

'...well, you look manly regardless...' I wasn't sure which side of mine just spoke those thoughts, but it was true that this guy was the perfect example of how a dignified handsome man should look.

Even after the office, his shirt didn't have many wrinkles. The folded sleeves expose his thick forearms. Because he loosened his tie, the structure of his collarbone was on display. His hair was a little disheveled but it only provided him a captivating touch-up.

His midnight black hair was complimentary by his sharp eyes, which provided a drunken charm; like they were meant to tempt you. Overall, this man was everything a woman could fall for, based on his looks alone.

...dunno what Xiao Mei saw in that bum when she had such a handsome hunk right beside her.  

"Have you had dinner?" His heavy voice reached me, helping me to break out of my daze before I shook my head and tried to hide the empty plates of sweets, between my arms. 

"I was waiting for you." I knew that Aunt Huang must have told this man that I was waiting for him; that's why he rushed all the way back home. However, I still chose to tell him that I was waiting for his arrival to have dinner.

The decision I have come up with requires me to change several things between us, as such, I need to begin from somewhere. So this was it.

Mr. Cheng went to his room for some minutes and returned in a changed set of clothes, consisting of a white loose-fitting t-shirt and black trousers. 

I didn't give an exaggerated expression but I wanted to ask, whether this man was trying to woo me by looking so good in anything he wore? Probably not...

As Mr. Cheng sat across me wordlessly, the maids began to serve the food.

Since I already had a lot of sweets, I only took fish soup and bread for dinner. On the other hand, Mr. Cheng had some plain salad and grilled fish on his plate.

Maybe he ate something outside? 

Regardless, we began to eat our respective food in silence, mostly.

I tried to not make cutlery sound, to come out like a properly trained young lady of a prestigious house, but sometimes I failed miserably.

Whenever I failed to put the soup spoon soundlessly back, I took a glance at Mr. Cheng, but surprisingly he didn't have any reaction to it as he ate dinner in complete isolation.

Seriously, the way Mr. Cheng was handling his chopsticks and the manner of his chewing described a true young master's decorum coming from a renowned family. In response, I still need some time to be on the same wavelength as him.

"Is there any discomfort?" Hearing his sudden query, I let out a confused hum...but upon realizing what he asked, I responded genuinely.

"No...it's quite fine now. Thanks for asking..." As I told him, my head injury seriously wasn't as painful as it was when I was receiving Xiao Mei's memories. 

Mr. Cheng just hummed in reply before the dining table was once again, enveloped in heavy silence.

I did want to change things between us but suddenly asking him, 'Hey, how was office today?' or 'Do you find my makeup pretty' surely would sound creepy. So I held back.

Soon the dinner came to an end, and I thought I would just bid farewell and retire to my room. Even though I was fine now, I still needed a full night's sleep to freshen up my mind.

However, just as I was about to get up,

"Xiao Mei."

Hearing Mr. Cheng's call, I sat back down and directed a questioning gaze; unbeknownst what he had in mind to discuss...

*****

A/N:- Drop a comment.

 

46