Chapter 4: Tryouts
86 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter IV

 

 

Everyone got ready to play as the balls were being distributed to each game.

Standing along with me were my fellow gray teammates.

Standing opposite of us was the purple team.

Their eyes fired with determination to secure the win over us.

However, my team had just about the same energy.

We waited for Coach to come over and start the tip off.

“So what’s your guy’s names?” a teammate asked everyone.

“Takahashi Yosuke,” someone replied

“Orimoto Tatsuya,” said another.

“Satoshi Rei, let's work together on this!”

Everyone looked at me next.

“Kojima Kouki, nice to meet you all,” I replied

“Nice, my name is Asari Sae,” the person leading us said.

It seems that he in particular wants to assume the leadership role.

When Coach Miyamura arrived, he explained the rules further.

“The game will end with the first team to 21 points.”

“There will be no foul shooting, if a hard foul occurs it will be up to you guys to decide if you want to call it.“

“Okay everyone get in position. I’ll throw the ball up.” the coach stated.

The two tallest players went up against each other in an attempt to attain possession of the ball.

It was Asari who was going to jump with some other guy on team purple.

Coach threw the ball up in the air and both players jumped high to tip the ball towards their teammates.

Asari, hit the ball towards us and our teammate Orimoto got the ball.

With the ball in our possession, we charged toward the opposing team’s basket.

I was standing on the left wing, and while Orimoto stood atop the key.

Everyone spaced out accordingly with their defenders on them tight with a man-to-man style defense.

Orimoto passed it to Satoshi and with a catch, Satoshi performed a jab step, faking the opponent going left and running straight towards the basket.

Satoshi tried to go for a layup, however, his defender quickly squeezed back in front of him. This would end up forcing Satoshi to take a bad shot, resulting in him hitting the side of the rim.

The purple team grabbed a hold of the ball and charged towards us and we headed back on defense.

I was a shorter player compared to the rest. One would think that I’d be a liability on defense. However, I made it a goal of mine to always give it 100% when it comes to defense.

After all, I can’t stand being called a liability.

Never again, not after that game.

The ball eventually got passed to the person that I was defending. He tried to do a couple of dribble moves but I didn’t fall for any of his faints. I got up closer trying to harass him, and sure enough, he passed it back out to another teammate.

The one receiving the ball wasted no time and took the opportunity to attack the lane. Dribbling quickly and hard, he would pound the ball extra hard one last time and stop his momentum entirely.

Using great footwork he steps back to shoot a mid-range shot.

With my teammate Takahashi out of balance, he was not able to contest the shot properly.

The purple team has now scored 2 points.

Asari inbounded the ball and passed it to me. With the ball in my hands now it's my duty to help my team score.

When I passed the half-court line, the defense was sagging off the three-point line.

There I noticed an opening.

I quickly chucked the ball to Satoshi who had decent space on the left-hand corner.

After catching the ball, he still had some space left to work with.

“Shoot it!” Asari and I yelled.

Satoshi took the three-point shot from the corner and drained it in.

“Let’s go!” Satoshi said aloud in excitement after hitting his shot.

The score was now 3-2.

Transitioning back on defense, I had to guard the ball handler again.

He again started to do his dribble moves, a simple crossover into a hesitation shot.

A hesitation shot meant that he fainted into a shooting stance. However, not grabbing the ball with 2 hands or carrying it meant he was free to keep moving.

He caught me putting my hand up and stepping forward after his hesitation and proceeded to blow by me.

Unable to catch up to him, he threw a floater shot in the air from the free throw line.

This shot would go in and would prompt the purple team to have scored another basket.

4-3.

 

Everyone standing on the court played to their fullest wholeheartedly.

After about 7 possessions going back and forth, the score was now 14-13 in our favor.

Satoshi would hit one more three along with a contested layup, putting us at 8.

Asari contributed 6 points in the paint as well resulting in our 14 points.

So far no one else on our team has scored.

Though I have yet to score or attempt a shot, I believe I was playing decent defense as well as getting 3 assists so far.

My team would start to catch some more blaze.

I told Takahashi to cut to the basket and I would throw him a pass in the air.

He caught it and with his defender slightly behind him, he was able to score a reverse driving layup.

16-13.

That was my fourth assist and I had more coming.

Defensively, we started to shut down the opposing team, not letting them have an inch of space to shoot. If they got past us when driving into the paint, Asari would switch into the paint and contest any close-up shots.

Our defensive strategy would be successful as purple would not score any more points.

We eventually won and beat purple.

Takahashi would have 4 points, Satoshi had 8, and Asari had 10. I had no points but 6 assists. Orimoto would go scoreless as well.

“Good dimes back there Kojima!” Asari came patting me on the back.

We had just won the first round.

I looked around the court and noticed that a few other teams had completed their matches as well. Two teams that I noticed specifically were team orange and team black.

Orange had Nakamura and black had Sugahara. It was quite obvious that they weren't going to lose.

After all the teams finished, Mr. Miyamura would announce that purple, white, green, and blue would be eliminated.

Moving on to the second round would be black, orange, red, and gray.

“Next round starts now! I'll have orange face gray, and black face red.” the coach stated.

“So we’ll be going up against Nakamura huh?” I thought to myself.

Well if my team were to head to the finals, then I would have to face either Nakamura or Sugahara anyway.

If we can just beat this one team, then I could play against Sugahara again.

I had told him this morning that the next time we face, I’ll be walking away the victor.

Who would have guessed that we would face off again this soon.

Nakamura and his team approached us.

None of them looks like they even broke a sweat against the last team.

“Gray huh?” Nakamura said.

“You guys all look so pathetic,” he remarked.

“Hmph,” I heard Asari.

‘Well let’s get this over with then shall we?” Asari said confidently.

“Let’s go,” Nakamura stated.

The coach came over to throw the ball again like last time.

“Let the games begin!” the coach exclaimed.

Nakamura was a highly regarded player in Junior high.

I was a nobody.

I breathed in deeply as the ball was thrown in the air.

Who was to win the jump? Who knows.

All I knew was that I was ready for this moment.

I will make this team.

I have to!

✾❀✾

 

POV: Haruno

 

The library was silent, only the slight sound of paper turning and whispers filled the air.

"How did you solve question 6?" Aiya asked me quietly.

"You have to square both sides and factor out the 9," I replied.

Being an avid reader, this library felt huge. I could see it becoming a second home for me.

"I think we got a good chunk finished. Should we start heading out for the day?" I suggested to Aiya.

"Sure! Are you planning on heading home yet?" she inquired.

"Hm, don't know yet. Is there anything you want to do?" I asked her.

"Hmm," she thought for a moment.

"Hey, we should go watch the basketball tryouts! Kojima said he was going. We could go cheer him on!" Aiya suggested.

I sighed unenthusiastically. "Eh, sounds like a pain."

"Ah, come on, it'll be fun!" Aiya insisted.

After I whined and mopped for a while, I would eventually agree to go with her.

“Ah, screw it,” I said

“Let’s go.”

 

We strolled down the hall and headed towards the gymnasium, taking the special stairs that led us to the upper level where we could watch the ongoing tryouts. It looks like the boys were already pitted against each other.

“Hey, there’s Koji!” Aiya exclaimed.

“Oh yeah, I see him,” I responded, though everyone looked so small from this view.

A girl with red hair styled in a bun holding a camera stood beside us, also watching the game.

“Hey Kaori, am I seeing things, or is that Sugahara from class?” Aiya asked me, pointing at someone.

“Hmm, don't know. I can't see insects that small,” I joked, though I did see him.

Who would’ve guessed that the nutjob played sports?

The girl next to us, overhearing our conversation, came to talk to us.

“Hey, did you guys say Sugahara? As in Sugahara Oda?” she said.

“Yes!” Aiya replied.

“Do you know him too?” she added.

“Ha, I guess I do. After all, he’ll owe me big after this whole tryout thing is over.

He bet me a free camera that he could play better than Nakamura. Like seriously, what an idiot,” she chuckled.

“Nakamura?” I asked.

“Yeah, he’s going to be the star player of the team pretty soon,” she told me.

“He’s right down there, the light blonde-haired dude wearing the orange jersey.

His team's totally crushing it right now. Though I guess Sugahara might have some bite in his bark. In the first round, I think he beat the white team single-handedly,” she explained with a frustrated look.

“Well, whatever. The same could be said about Nakamura. He did the same thing, but in more style!” she continued.

“Hey, isn’t Kojima playing against Nakamura right now?” I said aloud.

“Oh yeah, looks like it. I hope he wins,” Aiya remarked.

“Kojima? Who's that?” the girl asked.

“He's the other blonde person on the gray team. He’s our friend. That's why we came over to see how he’s doing,” Aiya informed the girl.

“Hm, I see. So what are your guys’ names?” the girl asked.

“Haruno Kaori.”

“Kinoshita Aiya.” Both Aiya and I told her.

“Oh nice, my name is Sato Kaede. Nice to meet ya,” Sato greeted.

“Sato sounds like our teacher's name,” Aiya observed.

“Are you guys first years? My mom might be your guys’ teacher.

Her name is Sato Hana,” Sato shared.

“Wow, now that I really think about it, I could definitely see the relation,” I remarked.

 

Some time passed by, and I was starting to get really bored.

 

“How much longer do we gotta be here Aiya? I’m so bored,” I said with my arms crossed.

“Let’s just see it to the end, and then we can go down and talk to Koji and Sugahara after,” she replied.

“Well, the second round seems to be finishing up. The last round will definitely be the most interesting,” Sato predicted.

“Hey, why is Kojima leaving the court?” Aiya asked.

“Looks like he lost against the orange team,” I confirmed.

“Aww, man! Well, that's too bad. I hope he still makes the team,” Aiya said.

“Dammit, I can't believe Sugahara actually made it to the last round!” Sato exclaimed with a pout.

“Tch! This is pissing me off! I haven't even been able to get any good photos cuz everyone sucks except Nakamura!” she added.

“Wow, Sugahara’s actually pretty good, huh?” Aiya asked me.

“I guess. Not like I really care,” I replied.

“You certainly like talking about him, Aiya,” I teased.

“Well, he’s a friend, is he not?” she retorted.

“Not a friend of mine. He's too annoying to look at,” I told her.

“Yeah, screw Sugahara! Let's boo him when he plays Nakamura!” Sato suggested.

I laughed.

“Ha, see, even Sato gets it,” I remarked.

Aiya showed a slight frown.

 

✾❀✾

 

POV: Sugahara

 

 

 

I stepped onto the court along with my teammates.

"All I have to do is beat this team, and then I might face Nakamura next, if not then the final round. I might even have to face Kojima." I said, thinking to myself.

If I were to go against Kojima, I think I’d just let him win.

After all, I'm pretty sure he needs this more than me.

Mr. Miyamura approached us with the ball and proceeded to throw an opening tip for us. Of course our team loses it, and now the white team gets the first possession.

Well, it doesn’t really matter.

The white team passed the ball around, attempting to set up an opening.

They eventually shot a tough jumper from the left elbow of the free-throw line and missed. We rebounded the ball and initiated our attack.

"Hey, let's see the ball," I demanded from a teammate.

He passed it to me.

Right when I received the pass, I was still out on the perimeter with a defender guarding me from three.

I was 3 feet away from the three-point line, and it would be a bad shot to take, even though I was open.

Even so, I just shot it anyway.

"I’ll need to end this game quick since there's just a bunch of nobodies on the team." Swoosh

I had made the three from deep.

"Woah, what the heck?”

“From that far out is crazy," I heard some of my teammates bicker.

Well, I just gotta keep draining shots in for now.

The white team again was unable to score on us.

A teammate passed me the ball again, and I drove past my defender swiftly.

However, a guy was standing in the paint guarding the basket.

I went right, but then spun to the left, leaving the defender stunned, as I finished the layup on the left side.

As I thought, these guys aren't good at all.

I can’t wait to see the look on Kaedae’s face when I dominate against Nakamura.

We finished the game 22-2, with me scoring all the points.

Though it was an utter demolition job, my teammates came up and complained.

“Hey man, I know we won, but you need to pass the ball!” someone said frustratingly. “Yeah, we need some spotlight too!” another said.

Fine, if that's what they want, then I’ll pass.

In the next round, if I don’t go up against Nakamura, then I’ll just finish the game with all assists.

It looks like so far the only team that finished the game was my team.

I looked over at the gray and purple match to watch Kojima. I watched him for about 4 minutes and noticed how he was playing.

“Why is he playing so passive?" I thought.

That’s definitely a negative, I don’t think any coach wants to see that.

I saw Kojima catch the ball from atop the three-point line, wide open, but he refused to shoot it, and instead dished it out to another.

I looked over, and it seemed Nakamura’s team just finished.

I avoided looking at how he plays because I wanted to see for myself when I faced him.

A moment’s time passed and we were now getting ready to start the second round.

I saw that Kojima’s team moved on as well which was nice.

When the coach announced what team I would go up against next, I was slightly disappointed.

I was going up against team red.

Again their team just looked too plain and boring,

it was going to be another walk in the park.

However, it looks like Kojima would have to face Nakamura.

It would be pretty nice to have Kojima do all the work and beat Nakamura for me.

 

The second tip-off started, and I got the ball in my hands.

I drove right again with immense speed, drawing some help defense with me.

I bounced passed the ball to a now-open teammate and had him shoot it.

Luckily for him, he made it.

At least I know that there’s someone on my team that can score.

Otherwise, I would have to take on the load again.

 

After 13 minutes in the game, the game would end 23-5.

 

Again, another blowout, but this time I had all assists, clocking in about 8 or so.

After the game ended, I sat down on the floor to watch Kojima again.

But shortly after sitting down, their game ended, prompting the gray team to leave the court.

Well, I guess I should give Nakamura some credit.

It's clear he's a cut above the rest for now.

Whatever though, it’s just about time for the main event.

I stood up along with my teammates ready to start the finals.

As I stood up I looked up towards the top of the gym where Kaede is, now noticing two others standing beside her.

They were my classmates, Haruno and Kinoshita.

I guess they came to see Kojima. Unfortunately, it looks like Kojima is out of the game now.

 

“Time to put on a real show,” I said stretching.

 

The coach came over to initiate the last round.

“I’ll match against Nakamura, you guys should just get out of the way,” I told my teammates.

I looked at Nakamura with a cocky smile on my face, as he looked back at me with a cold piercing gaze.

 

The real fun starts now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1